Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

All the 4th and 5th gen wagons (and coupes) were made in the USA and then exported from there. They even got special 'Honda of America' badges for the Japanese market.

The 3rd Gen coupe was made stateside too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

Dunno how many highschool-level teenagers you guys know but the ones I know think CUVs are lame as all hell not unlike minivans or even wagons before that.
They also don't seem to like swoopy round shapes either, the blocky old-sytle stuff seems to be what they like.

Wonder if ~authenticity~ has anything to do with it.

I hope as things move towards EV's that it becomes super cheap and easy to slap EV motors and batteries into old cars and we see a bunch of really front-heavy Volvo station wagons driven by 20-somethings.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KakerMix posted:

Dunno how many highschool-level teenagers you guys know but the ones I know think CUVs are lame as all hell not unlike minivans or even wagons before that.
They also don't seem to like swoopy round shapes either, the blocky old-sytle stuff seems to be what they like.

By no means am I saying this as a fact, it's just annecdotes, but like anything CUVs and things if that style already are on their way (if not already there) to being extremely uncool.

Jeeps are still rad though :shrug:

Wonder if ~authenticity~ has anything to do with it.

I love boxy designs. Those 80s/90s fastbacks are my favourite kinds of cars. Along with S13s.
It’s the reason why I bought my new Jetta.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’m glad 80s cars finally got the respect they deserved. They were generally really simple shapes and uncluttered.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davebo posted:

I hope as things move towards EV's that it becomes super cheap and easy to slap EV motors and batteries into old cars and we see a bunch of really front-heavy Volvo station wagons driven by 20-somethings.

Yeah I hope this legitimately becomes an area of modification, I'd happily swap a car or two of mine over to electric.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frond posted:

I’m glad 80s cars finally got the respect they deserved. They were generally really simple shapes and uncluttered.

As far as I'm concerned the 1987 Honda Accord my parents had when I was growing up was peak automotive design - low bonnet, pop up headlights, huge glasshouse with excellent visibility. Obviously as unsafe as hell compared to a modern car but it was just so nice to look at and be in.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Also seems like it'd be a hell of a lot easier updating the head unit in old cars to some fancy double-din android auto carplay deal than modern cars with their looks-like-it-should-but-doesn't-retract touch screens and dozen steering wheel buttons that might not all map properly to a third party unit.

If you gut the engine and electrics on most 80's cars what's the next worst component, heat/aircon?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Frond posted:

The respect 80's cars deserved in general was to be melted down for razor blades

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Frond posted:

Yes. I like wagons too but the market speaks.

Marketing speaks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

davebo posted:

If you gut the engine and electrics on most 80's cars what's the next worst component, heat/aircon?

The actual structure of the car. No way electric conversions of old cars is going to work because they'll simply never be safe enough.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

The actual structure of the car. No way electric conversions of old cars is going to work because they'll simply never be safe enough.

They can work just fine, just will be understood they are unsafe compared to modern cars in terms of crash safety. Kinda like people who drive around old cars right now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KakerMix posted:

They can work just fine, just will be understood they are unsafe compared to modern cars in terms of crash safety. Kinda like people who drive around old cars right now.

An aging fleet is a problem already actively being worked on in many parts of the world - if older vehicles stop dropping out of the fleet then there will have to be some serious disincentives to cover the extra health costs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just install a full roll cage during the conversion :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dissss posted:

An aging fleet is a problem already actively being worked on in many parts of the world - if older vehicles stop dropping out of the fleet then there will have to be some serious disincentives to cover the extra health costs.

If personal cars remain a thing in society then manufacturers are going to have to make cars that people want and can afford otherwise it doesn't matter how ~worked on~ the problem is.
I also don't think the idea that young kids are putting electric drivetrains in old cars as a matter of needing transport, but done more as a style thing ala rat rod or whatever. Kids hate cars these days, you know? Electrify them and get them excited about it then they can bring their electric Delta 88 to Cars and Coffee.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

dissss posted:

As far as I'm concerned thing from my childhood is best thing.

I realize nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but some self-awareness would be nice to see around here occasionally. Nothing personal, half the forum does it. Like what you like but at least acknowledge it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I didn't say I'd drive round in a 1987 Accord now, just that the design is far more appealing to be in than anything modern.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Its just a basic 3 box design shat out with a Prelude nose. It is so bland beige paint thinks its too boring.

As godfucking awful the new Civic is to me thats at least got real personality. The 1987 Accord is the car Glenn from accounts drives before having dinner and watching whatever boring rear end sitcom was on TV then and going to bed at exactly 930pm.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Accord Aerodeck in design terms is a really nice looking car, 80s Hondas were all understated, good-looking cars and if you don't appreciate that these days then you probably shouldn't be critiquing car design.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Its just a basic 3 box design shat out with a Prelude nose. It is so bland beige paint thinks its too boring.

As godfucking awful the new Civic is to me thats at least got real personality. The 1987 Accord is the car Glenn from accounts drives before having dinner and watching whatever boring rear end sitcom was on TV then and going to bed at exactly 930pm.

Compare Glenn's 1987 beige Accord to the cars of today and it stands out basically screaming. Everything today looks like the new Civic which is why the simple box shapes from before are coming back in terms of appreciation. Glenn today drives some swoopy silver creased-up Hyundai SUV/CUV, and his boss drives a BMW X5. Also silver.

When everything is a whoopy cushion with speed vents covered in aluminum foil a basic 3 box design with a wedge nose is refreshing as heck.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah that would have been a Camira. Maybe a Commodore if Glenn had a raise that year.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Is there actually any space for good creative design in the car industry today? Has it all been regulated away by safety standards etc. or are manufacturers just lazy and creatively bankrupt? I used to think it was the former but then, things like the Disco Volante exist..

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Grakkus posted:

Is there actually any space for good creative design in the car industry today? Has it all been regulated away by safety standards etc. or are manufacturers just lazy and creatively bankrupt? I used to think it was the former but then, things like the Disco Volante exist..

It's a multi-layered issue I'd imagine. From car sketches increasingly looking like those exaggerated pencil figure fashion sketches and design seeming to be insular and circular where they crib another design but exaggerate it in a kind of feedback loop, Marketing and Manufacturers not wanting to commit to an actually unique shape for both cost and marketing reasons, regulations and simple physics dictating designs that would 100% objectively be safer but limit design space and so on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Grakkus posted:

Safety standards affect a lot of things on modern cars, from bumper heights, bumper attack angles, headlight placement, bonnet angles and sizes, wingmirror profiles, windscreen angles... The list is truly loving nuts. This is why most cars are similarly shaped and the only real variation you get is the amount of creases your body panels have and how much plastic you have covering fake vents.

High volume models will invariably be boring, design-by-numbers cars because they have to adhere more stringent standards because they're more numerous on the roads. Cars like the Disco Volante are such small runs that the rules are more lax, it's highly unlikely these will be around too much to annihilate a pedestrian's shins in a crash sending their skull through the windscreen. This is how Lamborghini get away with not actually having what normal people would describe as 'bumpers' and instead just all being body. Basically if you're rich you get more choice because designers are able to go more outrageous and have it actually stand a chance at being built (because gently caress poor people's safety).

Every company has designers that can put out pretty cars but a combination of safety standards, market restriction and the dreaded design committee forcing lovely trends means cars these days are mostly bollocks outside of high end stuff.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 30, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

dissss posted:

As far as I'm concerned the 1987 Honda Accord my parents had when I was growing up was peak automotive design - low bonnet, pop up headlights, huge glasshouse with excellent visibility. Obviously as unsafe as hell compared to a modern car but it was just so nice to look at and be in.

Fitting song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FM6b1cLC84

I'm partial to the gen after that:

Such a pure, honest 90s design. Also, glass headlamp covers that never, ever go cloudy like the plastic poo poo on 99% of today's cars.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/joelfeder/status/1057232339795894273

quote:

The eCOPO Camaro was built in partnership with Hancock and Lane Racing, which have been one of the few trailblazers of electric vehicle drag racing. The electric COPO Camaro Concept is entirely electric, driven by an electric motor providing the equivalent of more than 700 horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque supplied from GM’s first 800-volt battery pack.

The electric motor itself can be found in place of the COPO Camaro’s gas engine, and is based on a pair of BorgWarner HVH 250-150 motors, each of them generating 300 lb-ft of torque. Unconventionally, where typical electric cars are a single speed, the motor assembly is paired to a racing-prepared “Turbo 400″ automatic transmission that channels the motor’s torque to the same solid rear axle used in the production COPO Camaro race cars.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It's a multi-layered issue I'd imagine. From car sketches increasingly looking like those exaggerated pencil figure fashion sketches and design seeming to be insular and circular where they crib another design but exaggerate it in a kind of feedback loop, Marketing and Manufacturers not wanting to commit to an actually unique shape for both cost and marketing reasons, regulations and simple physics dictating designs that would 100% objectively be safer but limit design space and so on.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Safety standards affect a lot of things on modern cars, from bumper heights, bumper attack angles, headlight placement, bonnet angles and sizes, wingmirror profiles, windscreen angles... The list is truly loving nuts. This is why most cars are similarly shaped and the only real variation you get is the amount of creases your body panels have and how much plastic you have covering fake vents.

High volume models will invariably be boring, design-by-numbers cars because they have to adhere more stringent standards because they're more numerous on the roads. Cars like the Disco Volante are such small runs that the rules are more lax, it's highly unlikely these will be around too much to annihilate a pedestrian's shins in a crash sending their skull through the windscreen. This is how Lamborghini get away with not actually having what normal people would describe as 'bumpers' and instead just all being body. Basically if you're rich you get more choice because designers are able to go more outrageous and have it actually stand a chance at being built (because gently caress poor people's safety).

Every company has designers that can put out pretty cars but a combination of safety standards, market restriction and the dreaded design committee forcing lovely trends means cars these days are mostly bollocks outside of high end stuff.

I guess I'll just keep driving old cars with personality then (until I can afford a Disco Volante!)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I agree that safety requirements limit how cars can be designed, but I think it's important to remember that the safety requirements are... more important than looking good and I'm glad we have them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KillHour posted:

I agree that safety requirements limit how cars can be designed, but I think it's important to remember that the safety requirements are... more important than looking good and I'm glad we have them.

Nah, safety standards are only a requirement if you crash your poo poo. It's like putting a condom on when you wake up just in case you accidentally fall dick-first into loving during the day :v:

(Also the reaction you get flashing pop up headlights at kids staring at your car on the roads is the single best reaction and totally worth driving a 'lovely' by modern standards car :3: )

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Agreed, I'd rather live in a world with stringent driving tests and frequent retesting, that allow for cars to have more relaxed safety standards. But oh well, no point daydreaming.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

(Also the reaction you get flashing pop up headlights at kids staring at your car on the roads is the single best reaction and totally worth driving a 'lovely' by modern standards car :3: )

Try driving a Citroen and bobbing your suspension up and down at them at a stoplight :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Nah, safety standards are only a requirement if you crash your poo poo. It's like putting a condom on when you wake up just in case you accidentally fall dick-first into loving during the day :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grakkus posted:

Agreed, I'd rather live in a world with stringent driving tests and frequent retesting, that allow for cars to have more relaxed safety standards. But oh well, no point daydreaming.

Try driving a Citroen and bobbing your suspension up and down at them at a stoplight :v:

it's not like europe, which has significantly more stringent driving tests, is some beautiful land of mexican-style automotive safety standards

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You might be a great driver, but that won't save you from an idiot glued to their phone T-boning you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Godzilla07 posted:

You might be a great driver, but that won't save you from an idiot glued to their phone T-boning you.

I know, I was kidding hence the smiley face at the end of that sentence. I'm still gonna drive lovely old cars though, the fear of death at every turn just makes them more fun.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not like europe, which has significantly more stringent driving tests, is some beautiful land of mexican-style automotive safety standards
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm not implying that average European driving tests are up to the standard I would have them in my utopian alternate reality, in a lot of countries they are pretty lovely. But there is a correlation between thoroughness of driving tests and frequency of crashes. If the quality of the average driver was high enough, there wouldn't be a need for as overwhelming safety regulations as there are now.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Can’t wait until technology gets to the point where everybody can just stay home

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
BMW didn't force anyone to buy the X6, they bought it because they liked how it looks. You're just old and out of touch with current tastes. Sorry.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Grakkus posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm not implying that average European driving tests are up to the standard I would have them in my utopian alternate reality, in a lot of countries they are pretty lovely. But there is a correlation between thoroughness of driving tests and frequency of crashes. If the quality of the average driver was high enough, there wouldn't be a need for as overwhelming safety regulations as there are now.

I think he just means that in Europe, where driving tests are better than they are in the US, they still have relatively high safety/crash standards for design.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

BMW didn't force anyone to buy the X6, they bought it because they liked how it looks. You're just old and out of touch with current tastes. Sorry.

Nah, it's ugly as gently caress and I give every single one I see a look of disgust in hopes that the owner might peel their eyes off their phone and see me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grakkus posted:

If the quality of the average driver was high enough, there wouldn't be a need for as overwhelming safety regulations as there are now.

This is a stunningly stupid argument. Even the most highly-trained people make mistakes, or experience mechanical failures, because humans and machines are both imperfect. Improving driver training is absolutely something that should be done, but it's a complete non sequitur to say that if we lower the incidence of crashes we should then roll back safety regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not saying it would be rolled back to the 60s "what are seatbelts" levels, but not every car would have to be a giant, slit-windowed, expensive blob-tank. Which is not to say that they couldn't continue to exist for those who prioritise safety, of course.