Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Propaganda Machine posted:

Palau and Guatemala are awful though, so I think this is as far as one needs to take things.

Whoa whoa whoa pump the goddamn brakes here. Guatemala has some great characters and is just stained by having the Stephanie Lagrossa factor. I absolutely recommend Guatemala as a must-watch season because it has a TON of incredibly unique things about it (such as the opening challenge where multiple people almost literally died). It's also the very first incarnation of a HII.

Also Judd. Beautiful beautiful Judd. He ain't got no ay dee dee, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My opinion of a season gets heavily influenced by the winner, but as much as I was on board with Mike/Michele/Kim/J.T. winning their seasons, I don't think I can really go through their entire season again.

Also I still think Game Changers could have been an 'alright' season if they actually let us see how villainous Sarah could be, instead of making her appear incredibly bland. It's not a good outlook when you're basically rooting for one player in the top 8 (who then gets advantaged out of the game).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SweetJahasus posted:

Whoa whoa whoa pump the goddamn brakes here. Guatemala has some great characters and is just stained by having the Stephanie Lagrossa factor. I absolutely recommend Guatemala as a must-watch season because it has a TON of incredibly unique things about it (such as the opening challenge where multiple people almost literally died). It's also the very first incarnation of a HII.

Also Judd. Beautiful beautiful Judd. He ain't got no ay dee dee, man.

Yeah but the Stephenie (sic) factor is pretty loving major. The entire post-merge is basically her laughing in peoples' faces and going, "Ya basic."

Agreed that Judd is fantastic.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
after finishing tocantins with my friends i really think there's a bit of rose-colored glasses going on with it. it's still an entertaining season overall, but every vote is very telegraphed. the tyson vote is probably the most interesting. as soon as you realize that JT and Stephen are in total control of the game there are really only one of two results: one of them wins and it's a foregone conclusion or someone else manages to scrape through via a key immunity win and it's a huge upset. the season is elevated a lot by Coach and his craziness. i still think it's a good intro because it's a solid framework of what the show is about without being as bland as early seasons or containing too many weird twists and advantages as the later ones.

so i'm definitely on the fence on which direction to go next. micronesia is definitely a good choice, but i feel like it would be stronger with at least china and cook islands as setup. people never seem too big on cook islands, but my memory of it is fairly positive?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Cook Islands is a fun good vs evil story and watching Candice eat poo poo is great, but the post-merge is a straight Pagonging courtesy of an overpowered idol. The game is basically over once Jonathan flips at 9.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It still cracks me up that Candice has never been anything but a villain I enjoyed watching fall and yet Survivor has again and again brought her back as a "hero" and "favorite."

I totally want her back so she can fall again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'd recommend Cagayan. One of the best all-time seasons, it's got characters, strategies, twists and turns, and it's modern.

I would also recommend Australian Survivor 2017 aka reboot s2 or s4.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cook Islands is great on the first run, where the Aitu 4 overcome the huge odds and stomp their way to the end.

It's not nearly as good on a rewatch.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really enjoyed Palau. It's like a dark comedy. Once you accept that the Worst Tribe is, in fact, the Worst™, you're free to laugh at their incompetence as they self-destruct. Plus, Tom is an absolute baller. :c00lbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The way at the end Ian's game goes from being the only person that has any chance against Tom to just utterly collapsing is hilarious. It's sad but hilarious.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Fast Luck posted:

I would also recommend Australian Survivor 2017 aka reboot s2 or s4.

Underscoring this. Great season, I have links to this for people in US if you want, just PM me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aren't these recommendations for new viewers, and Australian Survivor has like a gazillion episodes compared to American?

"hey you'll maybe like this show please watch 30 hours of it"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'd love to check it out but watching Australian reality shows is... a commitment. Are any of the episodes skippable?

E: f;b

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'd love to check it out but watching Australian reality shows is... a commitment. Are any of the episodes skippable?

E: f;b

The recommended season is a very very very good season and yeah there are probably a couple skippable episodes but why would you want to on objectively one of the best seasons of any Survivor?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It’s recent excellent folks.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

i'm pretty in on Cagayan and Aus2017 being top 10 seasons, and the two best seasons of the last 5 years for sure, so if you're looking to show someone who watched Tocantins a modern great season that's just where I'd go. Definitely Aus2017 is gonna have like 25 episodes instead of 13 or whatever so maybe that defaults Cagayan into being the answer. But that's also one of the reasons i put the Australian season suggestion in timid little letters :)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
haven't seen AUS survivor at all and looks like a huge time commitment (also only have phone for internet at home at the moment). but my opinion on every season from Cagayan onwards.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS THOUGH I WILL TRY TO BE VAGUE.

Cagayan - dope. Has slow post-swap and a few dull merge episodes, but it's such a good character season, and it ends up building really well to one of the worst Survivor decisions of all time. an overpowered advantage does dampen it a bit. but there's a good reason it's had a ton of returnees and probably will have at least one more. 8.5/10

San Juan del Sur - underrated. A lot of dead weight in the cast, but some amazing comedy, a stellar endgame, and KEITH NALE. just...Keith Nale puts this at least in the middle of season rankings, c'mon. 8/10

Worlds Apart - yikes. Premerge is fun-ish, but post-merge is a straight Pagonging, plus there's some horribly bullying and the majority alliance contains at least three awful people. at least the endgame is coherently structured on a storytelling level, I'll say that much. 2/10 would not watch again.

Cambodia - due to the concept it doesn't descend into hell, unlike some seasons containing returnees I could mention. Everyone's playing, and there's not as much hard feelings, every stage of the game is interesting. however, it's strategy and power-gaming heavy, and not as full of the silly and/or emotional character stuff I like. 7.5/10

Kaoh Rong - love this season aside from the end, and really the only problem with it is Probst probably was unhappy with the outcome and so the storytelling around that suffers. has a great good vs. evil storyline in midmerge that ends with a Top Ten Anime Betrayal. also a couple other great side villains, tribal council meltdowns, etc. sad about the medevacs, but eh, that's circumstances. Cambodia was as brutal as it was beautiful. 9/10 gently caress the haters

MvGX - this is a weird one, and a rocky ride, with some very annoying people, but very dynamic play. Editing is imbalanced, but the waters were muddied pretty effectively on the outcome. 7.5/10

Game Changers - season ends after Sandra is voted out. No need to watch further. Season until Sandra: 9/10. Season after: gently caress off/10

HvHvH: can a bad end ruin a pretty good season? debate is still open. This is a cast of people that came to make moves. basically the main fault here is production and MOAR ADVANTAGES. the bitterness has subsided for me, but the finale was still pretty traumatic and it will take longer to heal. 6/10

Ghost Island: can a good end redeem a bad season? debate is closed, no it can't. This is a cast of people that came to just, I don't know, sit around and talk about all the big moves they won't make, lol. 3/10

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor Australia is a big time commitment. 26 episodes that average 60 minutes+ each. But, it's totally worth it. drat near every person in the game usually gets a confessional every episode, and they actually spend some time on camp life, covering the strategy actually going on.

Also the 2017 season, they had the quality, "Give a Survivor a big jar of lollies or cookies and let them use it for bribes" twist.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Previously on...

SURVIVOR

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao they showed the fake vote

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

oooh vegetable kabobs lemme try very hard on this challenge

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

oooh vegetable kabobs lemme try very hard on this challenge

Yea, kinda lackluster incentive.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Christian, John, and Dan looking at each other and dying of laughter at absolutely nothing is just the :allears:est.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

Christian, John, and Dan looking at each other and dying of laughter at absolutely nothing is just the :allears:est.

Those three are definitely a cute couple

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't even understand what she was trying to do with the bamboo. If you put a bunch of halves round side down they would tend to slide underneath each other and rock around and also the top would be a bunch of narrow edges and mostly holes. It's not like bamboo is solid in the middle.

Maybe I'm just not picturing what the hell

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This season is definitely a recent high mark for absurd comedy. Last week we had Jacketgate, this week we have Elizabeth dragging the giant log against Carl and him kind of halfheartedly helping her with it just so it won't knock him into the loving fire.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saveron_01 posted:

Yea, kinda lackluster incentive.

I dunno that's an awful lot of nutrients that they probably haven't really been getting

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This vuku tribe is dumb.

Like how long do they really think it would take to cut some bamboo in half?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I dunno that's an awful lot of nutrients that they probably haven't really been getting

Burn more calories in the challenge than you even get back from the reward though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, that was rough. Jabroni legitimately stood no chance at that challenge. That's the first time I can remember a tribe literally not being strong enough to complete a challenge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

Man, that was rough. Jabroni legitimately stood no chance at that challenge. That's the first time I can remember a tribe literally not being strong enough to complete a challenge.

yeah that was absolutely brutal

A Typical Goon posted:

Burn more calories in the challenge than you even get back from the reward though.

I didn't say calories!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

Yeah and they just get worse no matter who they lose

I have to assume there is some kind of tribe shakeup next episode. Have they ever reverted to the original tribes after mixing it up? Like go back to DvG? That could be interesting

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Yeah and they just get worse no matter who they lose

I have to assume there is some kind of tribe shakeup next episode. Have they ever reverted to the original tribes after mixing it up? Like go back to DvG? That could be interesting

2 > 3 > 2 tribes is something they've done a few times--Cambodia comes to mind--but a merge seems more likely to me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

2 > 3 > 2 tribes is something they've done a few times--Cambodia comes to mind--but a merge seems more likely to me.

But I mean like literally regroup into the same groups. I think the eliminations have been about even among davids and goliaths. Another couple rounds in those groups before a merge would really throw people for a loop

edit: whelp

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
uhhhh, what.

The show really did not make the case for this boot.

Like, the entire episode was about how nobody likes or trusts Angelina.

WTF

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spergatory posted:

uhhhh, what.

The show really did not make the case for this boot.

Like, the entire episode was about how nobody likes or trusts Angelina.

WTF

Kind of did, I mean all they didn't do, was show Mike and Nick deciding to vote Lyrsa over Angelina.

Like if Nick stuck with Lyrsa, and forced a 2-2 vote, then he and Mike would be drawing rocks so. Makes sense they wanted to avoid that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also, if you haven't figured out Survivor editing by this point. If the whole episode looks like 1 person is going to be the one voted off, they will not be voted off.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They made it pretty obvious that Lyrsa was a threat in that she can stay under the radar and win through a social game IMO

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, if you haven't figured out Survivor editing by this point. If the whole episode looks like 1 person is going to be the one voted off, they will not be voted off.

One can only hope for Christian's sake, based on that preview. We'll see how well Goliath Strong holds up next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Counterpoint: Natalie last week.