Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

It does, kind of, though if I'm being honest the thought of having to purchase an expensive Thunderbolt 3 external GPU enclosure makes me want to wait and see if the new Mac Pro has been worth the wait. TB3 is great and all, but so is PCI express. Right now I'm thinking I've waited this long, so if my Mac Pro holds up for another year I'll see what this 'modular' Mac Pro is all about and make a decision after that. Surely Apple can't gently caress it up that badly!

I'll happily concede that the all-round user experience in MacOS is still superior to that of Windows - and by quite a margin imo. There's just so many little things that add up to make the experience that much more polished and enjoyable, especially if you're deep into the walled garden.

Weird, as lifelong windows user coming to Mac I actually feel like Mojave is less polished. I'm sure its mostly just non-configured settings but there are odd things:
Activity monitor tells me I have a radeon pro 560 when its the 550x version.
Random freeze while plugging a DAC into the TB3 (I let this one pass)
Energy Saver - Setting the Powernap setting for battery doesn't actually effect it while on battery. I had to disable Powernap in the On Power setting to make it not wake up 20 times per night while sitting in a drawer with the lid closed

e: Safari adblock is inferior but maybe I just haven't found the right one?

Setset fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lube banjo posted:

Weird, as lifelong windows user coming to Mac I actually feel like Mojave is less polished. I'm sure its mostly just non-configured settings but there are odd things:
Activity monitor tells me I have a radeon pro 560 when its the 550x version.
Random freeze while plugging a DAC into the TB3 (I let this one pass)
Energy Saver - Setting the Powernap setting for battery doesn't actually effect it while on battery. I had to disable Powernap in the On Power setting to make it not wake up 20 times per night while sitting in a drawer with the lid closed

e: Safari adblock is inferior but maybe I just haven't found the right one?

I think a lot of it is in how MacOS feels (and that's going to be subjective and based on what I'm used to). For example, when I hit the side button on my mouse I can browse Spaces instantaneously. In Windows there's an irritating lag of like a second before all my desktops and windows pan out and the button press doesn't always seem to register, even though it's the same Logitech drivers. It took me far too long to work out how to show 'My PC,' 'Network Places' etc on the desktop too because there's this weird mishmash of poo poo you customise in Control Panel and other poo poo you customise in the Settings app. There's also some strange behaviour with OneDrive that means even when I select which files to sync, it routinely leaves them in the cloud until they are explicitly required, which means opening up a project in Premiere that has a ton of large, linked files can take ages as it pulls them from the cloud - in MacOS when you select folders to sync they are kept locally, not in some weird cloud-based purgatory.

uBlock Origin for Safari is my go to. Oh and I'm totally with you on Powernap sucking rear end. When I open my laptop I want the thing to be fully charged, not dead because it was periodically pulling loving emails that take like a second to download anyway.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Alzabo posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for direct burial ethernet cable?

I don't think I'll need more than 250 feet for my run, so bonus points for spools that are less than 1000f. Thanks!

Use fiber. Maximum length for ethernet is 328 feet, anything over 100 and it's probably cheaper and more reliable just to use direct burial fiber and SFP modules.

I bought a spool of pre-terminated fiber from discount-low-voltage.com recently, it was made well and arrived quickly:

https://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cable/Preterminated-Fiber-Cable-Builder

fs.com is great for modules and patch cables, and they have "military grade" fiber spools which is probably suitable for direct burial too.

pzy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 26, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can get away with 250ish feet of good quality cat 5. I just stuck in a length which was 272ft direct burial cat 5 Ubiquiti toughcable. Works at gigabit speeds.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Theophany posted:

Oh and I'm totally with you on Powernap sucking rear end. When I open my laptop I want the thing to be fully charged, not dead because it was periodically pulling loving emails that take like a second to download anyway.

turn it off?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fibre is good because it’s not electrically conductive so you won’t cause yourself weird issues if the grounds have a potential difference between the two buildings. Media converters or SFP modules are cheap.

eames
May 9, 2009

Theophany posted:

uBlock Origin for Safari is my go to.

Sadly it is no longer being maintained. The dev disappeared without a comment and the Safari port only blocks 50-75% of the items that the Firefox version does with identical settings and blacklists. The latest Safari update further complicates things because of some new requirements for plugins, so large portions of the Safari port would need to be rewritten. :(

Regarding Apple hardware, I’m really looking forward to the event. I think (hope) Apple finally got the message that „thinner with fewer ports“ is not always what people want from a computer.
Rumors are that the iPad Pro will get a USB-C port which would have a lot of interesting implications for the future (easy external massstorage, eventually TB3 support via Apple SoC, docking stations, etc).

Launching that and a new MBA at the same event should give us a good idea of where the two product lines (iOS vs mobile Macs) are headed in the future.

eames fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 27, 2018

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I’ve been quite pleased with Wipr to block ads in safari so far.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flyndre posted:

I’ve been quite pleased with Wipr to block ads in safari so far.

Same. It seems to catch a ton, except some YouTube pre-video ads, but that doesn't bother me so much.

I also have 1Blocker running as well, but I'm not sure it makes an impact.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Firefox works really well with Macs now and having uBlock is a bonus.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Firefox works really well with Macs now and having uBlock is a bonus.

Firefox seems to turn my mbp into a hairdryer when I watch any sort of web video, plus it seems to drain battery faster than when playing on Safari.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

By "really well" i meant better than Chrome.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a more-than-capable Regina iMac 5k and yeah Safari (Apple’s native-loving-browser!) chugs and spins fans. It’s hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have an iMac with quad core, 16 gigs RAM and even with uBlock there are sites like SFGate that brings my computer to its knees. I fully blame lovely javascript or whatever that are embedded in these sites.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mu Zeta posted:

I have an iMac with quad core, 16 gigs RAM and even with uBlock there are sites like SFGate that brings my computer to its knees. I fully blame lovely javascript or whatever that are embedded in these sites.

Oh it’s definitely partly to blame but I can then go over to Chrome and it’s (often) like easy street.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you're on a mac, use safari because software that's multi-platform always is hosed with macOS-- firefox is no exception.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Firefox and Chrome both work great on the Mac. Safari just has always given better battery life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So over the last month or so, I picked up a 2018 15" MBP, so I got rid of my 2016 15" MBP.

A few weeks later, I got a really good deal on a 2017 15" MBP. It had the 512GB SSD vs the 256GB SSD which was a benefit, so then I thought about just sticking with that one, selling the 2018 and pocketing the extra money.

However...it felt more like the 2016 when it came to daily use than the 2018. Benchmarks showed it to be about 5% faster than the 2016 but the 2018 was 10% faster than the 2017.

Also, in any heavy tasks there's such a huge performance difference between it and my 2016 13", it almost makes me want to get a quad-core 13". Something that takes 5 minutes only takes 2 of the 15", which I guess is the way it should be.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Are you using that Uniengine Heaven benchmark I linked in the other thread?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So Google says they don't support target display mode anymore, but is there an easy way to use a 5K iMac as an external display for a USB-C MacBook Pro?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

No

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They have software to do it with an iPad but not an iMac?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Correct

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I'm in the market for a new laptop and have my eyes set on a MacBook Pro.

Are there any rumblings of a new version on the horizon, or are those shown on the Apple website going to be current for a while yet?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pitwar posted:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and have my eyes set on a MacBook Pro.

Are there any rumblings of a new version on the horizon, or are those shown on the Apple website going to be current for a while yet?

No new rMBP for a while since they just updated it a few months ago. Tomorrow the Air either gets cancelled or bumped to Retina display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Wonder if someone will make a thread for the event...

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
c'mon apple, give me some actual server hardware to work with

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Retina MBA finally.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Retina MBA finally.

I'm leaning toward the MBA going away. More likely is the current single USB-C port rMB to be priced down, and newer models being released with the same form-factor, but 2 thunderbolt3 ports and base i5/i7 models (as opposed to being relatively expensive upgrades).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm leaning toward the MBA going away

Oh yeah? How much you going to bet on that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm leaning toward the MBA going away. More likely is the current single USB-C port rMB to be priced down, and newer models being released with the same form-factor, but 2 thunderbolt3 ports and base i5/i7 models (as opposed to being relatively expensive upgrades).

You might want to head over on to apple.com

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Oh yeah? How much you going to bet on that?

Nothing, but it's a device that's been neglected for quite a while. I don't really care one way or the other, but I would definitely NOT be surprised if it's not mentioned and quietly removed from the store as anything other than refurbished.

LOL

Well, that's me told.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Proteus Jones posted:

Nothing, but it's a device that's been neglected for quite a while. I don't really care one way or the other, but I would definitely NOT be surprised if it's not mentioned and quietly removed from the store as anything other than refurbished.

lol

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Having the event in the morning EDT is really trippin' ol' Jones up

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

edit: NM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep. Been working didn't realize the announcement started.

I was completely wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Having the event in the morning EDT is really trippin' ol' Jones up

I WAS NOT PREPARED, OK?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

New Mac Mini

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
5x faster isn't quite a slam dunk when you gimped the last one and neglected it for 4 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hey. Ports!

I was starting to forget Apple forgot some of those existed.