Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't Kenmore largely just rebranded LG these days?

In the case of my fridge, yes. I think it depends on the product line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Kenmore is just appliance badge engineering. Window AC & dehumidifiers used to be Electrolux when my father designed them in the late 90s.

E: They would usually add a feature to the Kenmore version.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

eddiewalker posted:

The same company makes Ryobi and Milwaukee. Ryobi is the budget brand, but still pretty good depending on your needs.

Comparing your makita tools to milwaukee would probably be more fair.

I want to stay with makita because of battery commonality and I time of fixing my piece of poo poo cars with piece of poo poo tools, my ryobi drill has a huge ammount of runout.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Didn't some one on here have huge issues getting Ryobi to honor their warranty on something, or was that a different brand?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That was here. Don't remember who, but they made a point to have people register the tools.

I just sent my Ryobi drill in for warranty service. They said to take it to Home Depot, who then charged me $20 for shipping. I've used the drill 2-3 times. I'm not happy, especially since I already warranted the battery charger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

99% sure it was Kastein who got hosed on the warranty registration.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Weird, they just mailed me a new battery when I said mine failed, and to take the bad one back to Home Depot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't Kenmore largely just rebranded LG these days?

LG, Bosch, Frigidaire, yadda.

Biggest thing going for Kenmore IMHO was they usually had a couple of extra features compared to the parent manufacturer, and some of their sales were quite a bit better. Still have value in that name though.

e: Beaten

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Charles posted:

Weird, they just mailed me a new battery when I said mine failed, and to take the bad one back to Home Depot.

I got hosed on a Ryobi low profile battery that stopped charging after 2 weeks of use. I got the "call corporate" runaround between Home Depot and Ryobi for the better part of a day and got my warranty claim denied

I still like the Ryobi tools I currently have, but I'm jumping ship as soon as something breaks

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah without reasonable consumer protections I'd struggle to recommend Ryobi, and I use it a lot. Speaking of which had my first battery consistently fail to charge regardless of which charger this week, it's the first battery I had, a 1.something amp low profile with a date code of 2013. Not terrible, it's helped me build and break a lot of home stuff in that time.

The most annoying part is that there's now an empty slot in my 6 port charger but I can't justify getting another one :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ryobi is loving trash from top to bottom.

You buy the tools because you have the batteries, you replace the batteries because you have the tools.

Against my better judgement, i bought a drill/impact set with 2 batteries because i needed a battery for my weedwacker and that was the the most economical way to get them, and in hot weather, they don't even give you 5 minutes of use.

It's the razor blade model where a drill/impact+2 battery set is $100, and a single battery is $90

gently caress that pathetic loving brand forever.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Hey, you shouldn't be quoting me without context and attribution.

Anyone with faulty batteries but already stuck with them due to heaps of tools should hack apart the battery and solder in some decent cells. My problem with ryobi is (at least in the smaller batteries) they use garbage Chinese li-ions. NFI what's in the 3ah batteries other AI goons use and recommend without problems. But if the same, then there's no point buying a replacement battery. I wouldn't use anything less than a Korean li-ion cel.
I'm on the fence about the tools anyway, my battery impact drill isn't the best, and my mains powered grinder was a noisy PITA from new (not enough grease in the gearbox and it was a huge PITA to even open it - needed an impact driver on the lovely screws -which is a WTF moment for a plastic case tool).

I'm glad I have some makita gear from back when I was rich and a contractor/tradesman. It's quality stuff and shows how bad ryobi gear is. I just wish makita wasn't 4x the price (probably not priced so high in the USA, it's just real expensive in AU, like $400 a tool due to "australia tax" and less sales and competition), but makita is worth 2x the price of ryobi easily.

E: OMG, if I was still in the HVAC trade I would be even more on the makita bandwagon
https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-lxt-18v-cordless-vacuum-pump-skin-only_p0066579

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 30, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Consumables, they do a decent set of jobbing drills, flap discs, their led bulbs are the only ones I buy.

It's a good idea....but dull.

I was hoping you'd convince me of the need to own a wrecking bar, or some massive bolt cutters.

(mind you, once I realised that you get what you pay for with drill bits, I've not needed to buy replacements for a long time)

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I have a HF 44”, it’s pretty drat good especially for the price. Probably going to get the side mount box soon. I’ve been on a toolbuying kick though conversely doing not a lot of car/bike/house work. Good tools are just nice.

If they are feeling nice there’s sometimes an offer on them of some kind and they can look it up for you. I think I spent 379+tax on mine this spring. It’s a bitch to move it around til you get it on the wheels though. Bring help when you go pick it up.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

I am sure I've said it before, but drat, it feels weird going into a Lowes and seeing the Craftsman logo everywhere.

At least the best part of Sears will live on, both sides of the border.

Anyone have any idea what's going to happen with Kenmore?

What did your store have? At mine it was basically endcaps of socket sets in cases and wrench sets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah without reasonable consumer protections I'd struggle to recommend Ryobi, and I use it a lot. Speaking of which had my first battery consistently fail to charge regardless of which charger this week, it's the first battery I had, a 1.something amp low profile with a date code of 2013. Not terrible, it's helped me build and break a lot of home stuff in that time.

The most annoying part is that there's now an empty slot in my 6 port charger but I can't justify getting another one :v:

I am a recent convert to Milwaukee. Their warranty is cats-rear end. They use independent shops, walk in, they check the serial # for the date to confirm its within warranty (tool, battery, whatever), ask what's wrong and give you a new one if it's a battery. If it's a tool, they'll see if they can repair it, if not, new one. Easy-peasy, no grilling because they don't give a poo poo.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What did your store have? At mine it was basically endcaps of socket sets in cases and wrench sets.

Lots of stuff! Hand tools, power tools, snowblowers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

I am a recent convert to Milwaukee. Their warranty is cats-rear end. They use independent shops, walk in, they check the serial # for the date to confirm its within warranty (tool, battery, whatever), ask what's wrong and give you a new one if it's a battery. If it's a tool, they'll see if they can repair it, if not, new one. Easy-peasy, no grilling because they don't give a poo poo.

Milwaukee have only recently become available over here and aren't remotely price comparable with Ryobi. I've no doubt they're better. Aren't they're the same company? As I said, if we didn't have pretty good consumer protection laws over here I'd not recommend them. I've also only had 1 bad battery and 1 bad charger in 5ish years of ownership. Their garden range being directly compatible is good too, I have the hybrid lawnmower and a lawn that can be cut on a single 2ah charge.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

Still blows my mind our city had 4 Kmarts and 2 Sears. Zero of each now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Milwaukee and Ryobi are both TTI, yes. But apparently the warranty process for the red tools (I've yet to actually need it) is far better than the basically broken one for the green tools.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Again, varies by local law, you guys rely on the manufacturer deciding not to be a dick in 1 case and put up with being a dick to maximize profits in the other.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Again, varies by local law, you guys rely on the manufacturer deciding not to be a dick in 1 case and put up with being a dick to maximize profits in the other.

And sadly it turns quite a bit of "good" people into dicks to get around it. Getting told by Home Depot "Yeah, you need $20 for us to replace your defective part under warranty" would basically drive me into a "silent gently caress you moment, I'll figure something else out".

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Same here, on the M12 side. I'm LXT on 18V, but Milwaukee is way better with warranty. If you have the purchase paperwork, then warranty starts on date of purchase. If not, it starts from date of manufacture. So much better than "no warranty whatsoever without an original (not scanned) receipt and UPS code from the box" like some other MFRs (Ridgid, I'm looking at you).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anecdotal story here:
Got the M12 milwaukee rotary tool last February. Speed control crapped out (always on high I think), followed by the on/off switch a month of so later. Only had it for about two months. Same thing happened with another guy at work, same tool.

Went to local Milwaukee service/repair place, they said "no replacement parts, available for it, when that one breaks, you chuck it". He gave me an address for a return centre type place where I assume I could get a new one.

I never bothered, just pull the battery out when not in use. I might take it apart, and see if I can find a number on the switch and change it out myself.

The guy at the service place mentioned "there's a reason we don't sell Milwaukee stuff here".

Take with however many grains of salt you wish.

My M18 drill and impact/2aH betteries have taken a poo poo kicking though, and still work as good as ever.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a tiny little part for my m12 ratchet that broke and they had basically every piece available to order. I wonder why they don’t do the same for the rotary tool?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My opinion is that Ryobi is not cheap enough in price to match their quality. My buddy bought a set at the same time that I bought into 20v DeWalt - my set is still going despite persistent abuse, while his Ryobis were replaced last year with Milwaukee due to several tool failures.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bought this...

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/brakes/pneumatic-brake-fluid-bleeder-with-auto-refill-kit-61912.html

Works great but my god you have to have a hell of an air supply for it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It sounds like if I was going to buy into a battery system, Makita 18V would be the one to go with?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just want to post that I love my Swanson Speed Square.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

MomJeans420 posted:

It sounds like if I was going to buy into a battery system, Makita 18V would be the one to go with?

Milwaukee has the best tool selection but if Makita has all the things you want you can't really argue against them. For 12v Milwaukee's selection is undeniable imo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like the milwaukee 18v ecosystem to be honest. They are constantly bringing out cool and new poo poo. He'll, they have table saws and pumps.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I really just want a powerful impact wrench and a drill, but I figured with the price of batteries I may as well make sure I choose a good system. Milwaukee turns out to have that super power impact wrench, but I just realized that + a battery is way more expensive than I thought it would be. Maybe I can get it for xmas, I don't really have a desperate need for it at the moment, I just thought it would be a lot nicer than using my corded Dewalt impact.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MomJeans420 posted:

I really just want a powerful impact wrench and a drill, but I figured with the price of batteries I may as well make sure I choose a good system. Milwaukee turns out to have that super power impact wrench, but I just realized that + a battery is way more expensive than I thought it would be. Maybe I can get it for xmas, I don't really have a desperate need for it at the moment, I just thought it would be a lot nicer than using my corded Dewalt impact.

Watch for a deal on a combo like the drill/driver kit. It’s way cheaper to get into batteries that way. There will probably be a black friday deal at either Home Depot or CPOmilwaukee with a bonus tool or battery.

Once you’re into a system, bare tools are cheap on eBay.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
$189 for the impact, $149 for the battery/charger iirc. Less during sales.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ryobi is loving garbage.

Against my better judgement, i bought another Ryobi Drill/impact set for $100 because i needed a loving battery for my ryobi weedwacker and it was cheaper than another weedwacker. a battery alone was $80. The batteries can't seem to handle 30*C ambient and both of them together can't finish the loving weedwacking. They can't even run the tools they came with in high heat.

absolute loving trash.

Buy once, buy right. Friends don't let friends buy ryobi.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 1, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

ryobi is loving garbage.

Against my better judgement, i bought another Ryobi Drill/impact set for $100 because i needed a loving battery for my ryobi weedwacker and it was cheaper than another weedwacker. a battery alone was $80. The batteries can't seem to handle 30*C ambient and both of them together can't finish the loving weedwacking.

absolute loving trash.

Plus, you can crack open a battery pack from a quality brand and replace the cell for small money if it fails.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Powershift posted:

ryobi is loving garbage.

Against my better judgement, i bought another Ryobi Drill/impact set for $100 because i needed a loving battery for my ryobi weedwacker and it was cheaper than another weedwacker. a battery alone was $80. The batteries can't seem to handle 30*C ambient and both of them together can't finish the loving weedwacking. They can't even run the tools they came with in high heat.

absolute loving trash.

I’m pretty skeptical about 18v-anything for yard tools, but the Ryobi 42v whacker is pretty good. Out-classes a cheap two-stroke gas one by a mile.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

I’m pretty skeptical about 18v-anything for yard tools, but the Ryobi 42v whacker is pretty good. Out-classes a cheap two-stroke gas one by a mile.

Yeah I have the 40v yard tools and they're good. That's the battery that failed without ever being used though. If I knew how to repair it myself I would, because they told me just to recycle this giant, heavy battery that probably had a small fault.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo I just realized the lawn mower and weed whacker I bought last year are Ryobi 40v, although I haven't had any problems with them at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MomJeans420 posted:

poo poo I just realized the lawn mower and weed whacker I bought last year are Ryobi 40v, although I haven't had any problems with them at all.

I keep thinking that 'weed whacker' is American slang for 'penis' and get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I keep thinking that 'weed whacker' is American slang for 'penis' and get confused.

I've got the big red 18v weed whacker :q:

I'm almost certain I'll never need to buy another. Thing is loving stout.