Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Buy a raptor and get a stripper girlfriend.

Also knock up your HS sweet heart, and maybe her best friend too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

McNally posted:

Calendar or cumulative?

You raise a good point. Time deployed might not count, I dunno.

Seriouspost: I waited until I got out to get married and I don't regret it.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Fred Dawes posted:

My first orders came in! I'm going to be a link maintenance technician on a DDG out of Norfolk. I wanted Japan, but Europe's cool too. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm excited that I got decent orders. Any tips for an ET3 fresh out of A-School?

My only question is: what makes you think you're going to Europe? Sure, some of the DDGs out of Norfolk are lucky and get 6th fleet deployments (my first ship did) but most go to the sand box. Do you know if the ship you're going to is conducting a home port shift? Obviously don't answer that here, but if you're lucky enough to be on one of those ships, enjoy it. Rota is lovely.

As for Japan, it's great, but as an E-4, life is very structured out there, and it's not always fun. You get very qualified, but you have a midnight curfew, you have to get permission to stay over at someone's house/apartment if they live out in town, and there is a non-zero chance that if someone fucks up with alcohol then the entire department has to come in on a Saturday when you were supposed to have the day off.

...and I'd still go back to Yokosuka too. Miss that place so much. But Europe and Rota is sounding better the more I hear about it.

But nthing everyone saying not to drink. Be incredibly cognizant of how much you're drinking, because it really does start to creep up on you.

Work hard, make rank, move off of the ship when you get a chance, and hopefully you have a good EMO. Get your DC quals and take them seriously. I can't stress that enough. Understand that the certification phase sucks, and hopefully your ship isn't too broken.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Valley Stared posted:

Get your DC quals and take them seriously. I can't stress that enough.

Hey Fred Dawes! It's a pretty good first person account of why the stuff you learn is so important.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803602&pagenumber=25&perpage=40#post473505233

For the love of God be gay or wear a rubber. Dont start a family while constantly going to sea.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
JFC two months ago there were zero E6 Tomahawk sea orders, now there's ONE.

In Yokosuka, and I'm not eligible for oversea orders because I "went" to "Captains mast" for "Taking my gun apart on watch."

Wife doesn't want to go to Japan anyways, but it's annoying to wait 2 months for nothing. What actually happens if no sea billets open up by the time me shore rotation ends?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds terrible still having a job after going to captains mast.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

In Yokosuka, and I'm not eligible for oversea orders because I "went" to "Captains mast" for "Taking my gun apart on watch."

Wife doesn't want to go to Japan anyways, but it's annoying to wait 2 months for nothing. What actually happens if no sea billets open up by the time me shore rotation ends?

I enjoy the quotes as they imply that the things didn’t happen in that order.

They don’t let people who have any major discipline matters in their record go to Japan because they already have a hard enough time with people raping, assaulting, and/or killing locals and you’re a demonstrated risk. Granted you’re probably not a drunk or a risk in that manner, but you’ve been to mast for something that shows a massive departure from good sense so it makes sense to decline you for overseas duty.

If no E6 billets open they’ll probably slot you in a spot for one up or one down in rank. You might be filling an E5 or chief billet as far as manning goes when you so get sea duty orders again.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Oh I'm entirely aware of, and agree with the logic. I'm just voicing my frustration at having to tell my wife, "Sorry, another two months until we can (maybe but probably not) start planning ahead for a big move. The lack of available billets has nothing to do with my professional history, it would be just as frustrating if I were eligible to go overseas, because there's only the one option, up from zero.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Not really a navy complaint but we are driving to Everett and my loving GS boss with like 10 years experience won’t let us stop for breakfast.
“It’s against the rules.”

I’m livid (and hungry).

Gonna catch me a seal to eat.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Not really a navy complaint but we are driving to Everett and my loving GS boss with like 10 years experience won’t let us stop for breakfast.

I’m livid (and hungry).

Some gs's are weird like that. Most of the ones I work with aren't fortunately.

What rule is he referencing lol?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The rule against going to lunch in an government vehicle.

However, we are driving 2 hours to a worksite just to start the day.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
You should find out if that 2 hours counts as being on travel.

(c) Authorized and Unauthorized Use. 41 CFR 301-10.201 describes the approved limited use of Government-furnished vehicles while on travel status. Listed below are examples of authorized and unauthorized uses of Government-furnished vehicles.

(1) Authorized:

(a) Going to drug stores.
(b) Going to grocery stores.
(c) Attending worship services.
(d) Going to barber shops.
(e) Going to restaurants.
(f) Going to dry cleaning or laundry establishments.
(g) Similar places necessary for the sustenance, comfort, or health of the employee.

Also tell him commuting isnt authorized, unless on travel.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 29, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

(G) could be a massage parlor wow

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

PneumonicBook posted:

Also tell him commuting isnt authorized, unless on travel.

It is if you have a home to work GOV. :grin:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Evil SpongeBob posted:

It is if you have a home to work GOV. :grin:

I commute an hour each way, please tell me the secret of finagling a home to work govvie.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m livid (and hungry).

He’s an idiot. You can’t go through a drive thru. You can park and go inside.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I recognize that the govvie is just being a knob but, why not eat at home before leaving for work?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nick Soapdish posted:

I recognize that the govvie is just being a knob but, why not eat at home before leaving for work?

Why even take a break at work? you can just sleep at home! Buncha maroons out here

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nick Soapdish posted:

Because he had a two hour drive that had much better food choices en route.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, I woke up at 4:30 to get to work by 6:00 to transfer to gov vehicle at Bremerton to drive to Everett by 8:15.

The ferry food is very expensive. The food on base is.... bad. I would have preferred to stop at McDonalds and get cheap bite before starting labor.

Dude is claiming the ferry ride is our break so we don’t have to stop for lunch.

Thankfully im ignoring him on that count. He can file a report on it if he wants.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Of all the vast fraud, waste, and abuse in the Navy...he nitpicks this. :laugh:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yeah, he's pretty dumb. The ferry time is still considered travel hours too. You don't come off the clock on air, train, ferry, bus, etc.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://thetakeout.com/u-s-troops-drank-all-the-beer-in-iceland-s-capital-in-1830073292

Proud of the Iwo Jima ARG

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EBB posted:

Of all the vast fraud, waste, and abuse in the Navy...he nitpicks this. :laugh:

He got on my case about making a sandwich 90 minutes into my day once while holding a fresh coffee from the shack 10 minute walk away and I tore into him so badly he retreated from the room. It was brought up in the weekly meeting later that day and his boss just kinda looked at him and said “a sandwich? Why do you care?” and moved on.
I packed my desk ready to get fired but all I got was “please don’t yell at him he’s sensitive” and an offer to become full time contractor the next week.
This idiot takes 90 minute lunches with naps at his desk and he wants to gently caress with people. I can’t even.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
One of the wonderful do as i say not as i do people.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

gently caress you

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LingcodKilla posted:

“please don’t yell at him he’s sensitive”

Translation: "Being an rear end in a top hat is a ~manifestation of his disability~."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Speaking of using government vehicles for proper functions, I recently helped to bolster US-UK relations by shipping 12 giant pizzas out to the HMS Queen Elizabeth via one of their routine logistics helo runs. Didn't hear any complaints about that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Crab man, as a tax payer you have my permission to use government gas while waiting in the drive through.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

:911:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah, I woke up at 4:30 to get to work by 6:00 to transfer to gov vehicle at Bremerton to drive to Everett by 8:15.

The ferry food is very expensive. The food on base is.... bad. I would have preferred to stop at McDonalds and get cheap bite before starting labor.

Dude is claiming the ferry ride is our break so we don’t have to stop for lunch.

Thankfully im ignoring him on that count. He can file a report on it if he wants.

I miss the hell out of Memo's which is on the way from Mukilteo Ferry to NS Everett.

I also miss all of my Seattle eating spots :(

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Get the keys and ditch him when you go to lunch. "Sorry dude, couldn't find you."

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Oh I'm entirely aware of, and agree with the logic. I'm just voicing my frustration at having to tell my wife, "Sorry, another two months until we can (maybe but probably not) start planning ahead for a big move. The lack of available billets has nothing to do with my professional history, it would be just as frustrating if I were eligible to go overseas, because there's only the one option, up from zero.

Pssst. This is a sign you should crossrate or gtfo.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

Pssst. This is a sign you should crossrate or gtfo.

HAHAHAHAHA an FC crossrating, man that's good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

HAHAHAHAHA an FC crossrating, man that's good.

What the gently caress does an fc even crossrate to?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

orange juche posted:

What the gently caress does an fc even crossrate to?

FT. Lots of available tomahawk billets in the submarine force!

Or you could crossrate to GM so you can take guns apart without getting in trouble.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

FT. Lots of available tomahawk billets in the submarine force!

Or you could crossrate to GM so you can take guns apart without getting in trouble.

The only fc I've ever seen that crossrated gm was an active to reserves crossrate, because evidently the reserves dont want any more FCs, presumably because of me.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

gently caress you

I also got $40,000 to re-enlist, have a #blessed day.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I also got $40,000 to re-enlist, have a #blessed day.

So...after taxes you got a down payment on a slightly used V6 automatic Mustang at one of those "Buy Here, Pay Here E-2 and Up Financed" places outside the gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

40k pre-tax pales in comparison to what I'm making from the GI bill and grants over the same ~4 year time period, not to mention the quality of life increase.

Never not get out.