Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mormonpartyboat posted:

a really big goose

Chicken Naga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I always wanted to do something unexpected lately, like maybe do living shadows as mook fodder or something or maybe having a campaign start in a prison cart then a tavern. those have been done but who cares..

though my main gripe is the alightment thing with dragons. then again i hate the alightment system in general but that's a post for another day. (rekcon y'all talked about it in depth before?)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Splicer posted:

A cannon that shoots dark elves.

A Drow gun, if you will.

wielded by the head of a powerful crime syndicate, Don John

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fruity20 posted:

I wanna avoid having my PCs fight a dragon. what other creature should use in its place?

Colossal scorpion

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Azhais posted:

Colossal scorpion

Changing my vote to this.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Azhais posted:

Colossal scorpion

20 feet tall and lusting for the death of colossal sub-zero

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They've been hired to transport it over the ocean in the good ship Frog.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Amphibious aboleth that keeps flopping angrily across the land towards a great city in the north.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A katamari of everything they've ever killed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A katamari of everything they've ever loved.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Potayto, potahto

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mormonpartyboat posted:

a really big goose

Like: really big.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A fifty foot tall skeleton wielding a bone like a greatclub. But where did he find a fifty foot long thighbone?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
two dragons

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
four dragons labelled 1, 2, 3, and 5

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

four dragons labelled 1, 2, 3, and 5

One dragon labeled 5, another much much bigger dragon labeled 4

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A nogard, which is a dragon that flies backwards

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
So our DM who seemed to not really enjoy DMing decided he was going to just stop playing, so we kicked him out and got ourselves a new DM and a couple new players and holy poo poo. It's amazing how much more stuff we got done as well as how much more enjoyable our time was. It was so loving great. It has renewed my enjoyment in tabletop RPGs.

Side note: not to underplay how difficult DMing is, but he wasn't good at it, and our DM before him was even worse.

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 30, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beelerzebub posted:

So our DM who seemed to not really enjoy DMing decided he was going to just stop playing, so we kicked him out and got ourselves a new DM and a couple new players and holy poo poo. It's amazing how much more stuff we got done as well as how much more enjoyable our time was. It was so loving great. It has renewed my enjoyment in tabletop RPGs.

:unsmith:

What are you playing?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
A mischievous magical stranger that pranks the group and definitely isn't a polymorphed metallic dragon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A half dragon. Where's the other half? :iiam:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A Were-Dragon, a dragon that changes into a wolf.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

A half dragon. Where's the other half? :iiam:

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

dreadmojo posted:

:unsmith:

What are you playing?

5e. We had our choice of Pathfinder, Pathfinder Playtest, Savage Worlds, Savage Rifts, Rifts, 3.5e, and 5e.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
A PATIENT blade, knows that lasting all campaign will get it a body count that may include the taste of elder dragons, legendary beasts. Even the blood of the demigods may become yours to taste. All it takes is a little patience, and acceptable targets :unsmigghh:

OR... follow fantasy union regulations and drive your wielder into a serial killer spiral. Taste the blood of some mortals, and then languish in a ditch of chest for untold years once more before someone else picks you up. Like some common prison shiv.

My mentality of "Evil Player Actions" is heavily skewed towards trying and failing to be like Agent 47, rather than HK-47, to be fair

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A big fat dude who insists he's a dragon.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Have them fight a powerful wizard, that is actually a dragon shifted into human form, but is too lazy to fight them so uses True Polymorph on a rock to make it into a dragon to fight them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlphaDog posted:

A big fat dude who insists he's a dragon.

Ah, the mighty Dargon

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

If you set up a dragon you can of course go with the notdragon, behir.

If no dragon was set up then colossal scorpion or goose sounds good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Behirs are cool and fun to throw at a party.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azhais posted:

Ah, the mighty Dargon

Complete with limp wristed oath, I would hope

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

For shits n giggles in 3.5e I drew up a one shot high level campaign that was just badgers + stacking templates.

7 headed zombie hydra badgers. A swarm of holy pixie badgers. Dire-Were-Vampire-Badgers. (I think ads for Underworld: Evolution actually started this whole thing). All of them raging all the time.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
A badger that insists he's a half-badger but won't tell you what the other half is

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Behold the esquilax!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Relentless posted:

For shits n giggles in 3.5e I drew up a one shot high level campaign that was just badgers + stacking templates.

7 headed zombie hydra badgers. A swarm of holy pixie badgers. Dire-Were-Vampire-Badgers. (I think ads for Underworld: Evolution actually started this whole thing). All of them raging all the time.

I hope you had an awakened badger necromancer in charge of the zombie

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
so where would we rank the various classes, in terms of MAD?

I was arguing that a naked Barbarian has it worse than a Monk; I kinda think a medium armor Barbarian and Monk are about even (albeit the Monk has the advantage of only really needing the stats that are tied to the 3 major saves, and being DEX-based lets you be a bit more skillful.)

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Azhais posted:

I hope you had an awakened badger necromancer in charge of the zombie

There was also a beholder badger that raged and attacked the same target with the big floaty badger mouth and 8 tiny badgers on tentacles.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

P.d0t posted:

I was arguing that a naked Barbarian has it worse than a Monk; I kinda think a medium armor Barbarian and Monk are about even (albeit the Monk has the advantage of only really needing the stats that are tied to the 3 major saves, and being DEX-based lets you be a bit more skillful.)

Naked Barbarian straight up doesn't work. Unarmored Defense is a ribbon feature, not a class ability.

MADness King:
Monk
Tier 2:
Paladin, Bladesinger
Tier 3:
Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, STR Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Tier 4:
Fighter, Rogue, DEX Ranger
SADness King:
Moon Druid

Logic: everyone (except Moon Druid) wants CON, and everyone naturally wants to max their combat stat, so you can just categorize classes by whether they need a tertiary stat and how important it is to them. Fighters, Rogues, and DEX Rangers do not need a tertiary stat at all. T3 requires a modicum of 14 DEX (or 15 STR in the case of Heavy Armor Clerics and dips) for good AC as a tertiary investment, and can sometimes benefit from more but CON takes priority, and feats are valued. T2 is the special case where they have a tertiary stat that is an even better investment than CON, and usually than most feats.

Then comes Monk, which is like T2 but weaker and harder to shore up effectiveness with items, so the stats matter even more.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

A monk only /needs/ dex, wis, and a positive con. Assuming a dex or wis race a monk can comfortably keep pace with a rogue or ranger for AC without sacrificing attack, and get it all the way up to 20 by endgame. A barb, being str based, has to choose between attack and defence at every level up. Also all the good monk paths come with ways to make yourself harder to hit, run away, or not be in close range to start with, so con is not as important as it is for a fighter or barbarian.

This post brough to you by the merge str and con foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Has anyone ever tried running magic as something you had to go out and learn in 5e?

Like just for fun what if the races were tied to different magic schools? A Wizard would need to have at least studied with a Dwarf to learn Abjuration or a Half-Orc for Evocation.

Looking for fluff ideas that require my players to engage with magic as part of the setting in ways more meaningful than "I stabbed 3 dungeons worth of goblins and bandits, took a nap, and know how to Fireball."