Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh boy here goes

Edit: ugh new page

Smash Direct 11/1 at 10 ET, followed by an anything goes treehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I could go for some pinball too but these pinball apps always confuse and scare me so I've never pulled the trigger :ohdear: Mostly I've just played babby's pinball like Pokémon Pinball and the like, but I like those a lot.

If you find anything good, report back? The Switch seems like a good machine for pinball (it's a good machine for everything)

Pinball FX3 trip report:

They give you two free tables (Fish Tales, which is one of the ported physical machines and Sorcerer's Lair, which is one of the digital only-boards). I bought one of the $5 packages (a Cowboy table and a Dragon table) and I was up until 1 am playing and this morning I'm printing out strategy guides. So it was a hit.

They have season passes for $20 with 8-10 tables, but you can also buy SOME individual boards for $3, or a few two-table packages for $5 or some 3-4 table packages for $10. But there's no way I can tell to buy an individual table that's part of a package (ie, you can't just drop $3 on the Bob's Burgers table, you have to buy it in the $10 package with Family Guy and Archer).

There are a few ways to play each board (one-ball, time attack, pass and play, etc). The physical machines also have the option to play with a lot of digital fluff or more true to life, as well as in "Tournament mode," which goes REALLY fast and I assume is replicating having the table pitched differently for higher-level play.

Anyway, the tables themselves are a LOT chewier than I thought. I grew up playing a lot of pinball but never at an age where I realized any of this stuff was going on, just slapping at the ball and hoping for the best. There is actually a lot to do and you can really get into it on the free tables. It's to the point where people have written multiple-page FAQs and strategy guides on every table. Here's the one for Sorcerer's Lair:

http://blog.zenstudios.com/press/assets/table_guides/Sorcerers_Lair_-_Pinball_Guide_By_ShoryukenToTheChin.pdf

So if you find a table you like, there's a lot to get into. I can see it being the kind of game where you feel obligated to collect them all, but for $15 you can get all the IRL tables plus a few of the digital ones and that would probably last you a lifetime if you wanted it to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sakurai: I have asked Nintendo to monitor your internet usage through any legal means, and the short of it... Geno is playable but only to people who did not look at leaks. Banjo-Kazooie is also playable but only to people who did not masturbate to pictures of Bowsette. The leaks before were fake... But I have made them real

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Artix posted:

Nobody was ever poor betting on Smash and Pokemon though. And speaking of smash:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1057270899957776384?s=19

40 minutes, sweet Jesus.

Oh hell yes

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Suspicious Cook posted:

By and large, Nintendo's DLC has been leaps and bounds above the competition's. When $12 nets you Mario Kart 8 half over again, it's pretty incredible. Their free updates have been rad too. I'm looking forward to whatever's coming down the pipes.

The DLC for Mario + Rabbids was almost an entirely new game, too.

Still time to make Breath of the Wild whole with a “petting dogs” DLC. Pet the dogs! Pet a bear! Pet the dragons!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Xenoblade 2 had the best value in a season pass I've ever seen. Like seriously astonishing value in that one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffle! posted:

Don't forget to update your controllers along with the new system patch.

How do I make sure this happened?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Sakurai: I have asked Nintendo to monitor your internet usage through any legal means, and the short of it... Geno is playable but only to people who did not look at leaks. Banjo-Kazooie is also playable but only to people who did not masturbate to pictures of Bowsette. The leaks before were fake... But I have made them real

So Isaac really is the only newcomer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It depends on if cosplayers count

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How do I make sure this happened?

Attach your joycons to the console and go to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffle! posted:

Attach your joycons to the console and go to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers

Thank you, friend.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I went ahead and picked up the digital Nadir pack on Starlink and holy god it's sooooooo fast. I like it's look too, the asymmetry kinda encourages you to get funky.

I guess I've got all content I care about that's currently available. I don't really care about plant man or lizard guy

edit: Necrom is a cool planet, I'm digging the weird primordial vibe

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 30, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Suspicious Cook posted:

By and large, Nintendo's DLC has been leaps and bounds above the competition's. When $12 nets you Mario Kart 8 half over again, it's pretty incredible. Their free updates have been rad too. I'm looking forward to whatever's coming down the pipes.

Seriously. Nintendo does DLC as expected, rather than cutting content and features from launch and selling it piece meal, they complete the game to ship, and only then do they start to even work on the DLC which is large, meaningful, and full of content. Xenoblade DLC os arguably as much as some $60 titles.

As I've said before as backwards Nintendo can be some times, they are also seemingly the only company that delivers when it comes to core aspects of gaming that other companies shun off or exploit.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

THE loving MOON posted:

They are really counting on Smash and Pokemon, a little less than 40 million by march is a lot of Switches. Tbh I kinda doubt they'll make numbers like that, but they just passed lifetime sales of the gamecube and will breeze past the n64 in that time so they're definitely doing alright. Next sales milestone to beat after that is the SNES at a little less than 50 million.

I'm not sure they will make those numbers, but while I don't care for either of those games, Smash & Pokemon will push a lot of new console sales.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
wanna smash

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That's what I want really, a Mario game with the exact movement and combat mechanics of either Mario World or New Super Mario Bros, but with one giant world Metroid style.

You would unlock different powerups though and could store one and go to rooms to select your current load out like a save room.

Also the same thing but for classic Mega Man.

I'd be totally down for this.

Also, full open world Odyssey style 3D Mario.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

Xenoblade 2 had the best value in a season pass I've ever seen. Like seriously astonishing value in that one.

:yeah:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

As long as they release more than 4 episodes as a first season let's party.

The second season just released the other day with 10 episodes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
October is so dense with entertainment releases, it's hard to prioritize. I've barely scratched the surface of Starlink but only because I'm putting off the finale of Blossom Tales. And here I am buying 4 games on the drat Halloween Steam sale... gently caress. With Diablo and Pokemon around the corner it's going to get even tougher.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

MZ posted:

I'm not sure they will make those numbers, but while I don't care for either of those games, Smash & Pokemon will push a lot of new console sales.

MY GIRLFRIEND who haaaates console games, console controllers, and all things of the ilk is seriously debating getting a Pokemon Switch with the pokeball thing because of Go. Portable Cities & Civ 6 type stuff also made her perk up big time. The reach of Pokemon is insane sometimes.

That's not even talking about the Smash folks who will likely lose their freaken minds.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I regret nothing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Banjo sucks anyway

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Banjo-Kazooie probably isn't that good anyway.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Andrast posted:

Banjo sucks anyway

Zibidibodel posted:

Banjo-Kazooie probably isn't that good anyway.

Burn the heretics

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Burn the heretics

Burn me on a pile of mediocre Rare games like Banjo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thank god, two less bad characters to unlock

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

thank god, two less bad characters to unlock

Gonna follow your channel

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Andrast posted:

Banjo sucks anyway

*throws a wild haymaker at this post*

edit; posting from my phone now, are lcd screens glass? asking for a friend

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Banjo sucks anyway

that's true, the real star of the games is Kazooie :kazooieass:

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

edit; posting from my phone now, are lcd screens glass? asking for a friend

some of them...

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Zibidibodel posted:

some of them...

I'll tell my friend to be careful vacuuming just in case, thanks

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Pinball FX3 trip report:

- snip -
Oh hey I totally forgot to reply to this. Thanks! I'll check it out. I looked at the other pinball games in the eshop as well and I guess free to play + purchasable boards is the standard? Good for checking them out, I suppose.

I'm kinda worried it'll be a total overload for me since I've only played real pinball like a few times, I just really like Pokémon Pinball on the gameboy :saddowns:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Save Me Mr. Tako! unlocked this morning. Pretty excited to be an octopus after work :choco:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Heath posted:

Save Me Mr. Tako! unlocked this morning. Pretty excited to be an octopus after work :choco:

The corals and the polifishans will look up and shout "Save me Me Tako!" and I'll look down and whisper "no"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This makes *checks note* two excellent Switch games where you can play as an octopus.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I forgot that was out today! Had it preloaded. Froze on the first load, but second seemed fine. Definitely interesting so far, seems like it could have the potential for some tricky platforming.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Banjo and Kazooie being "bad" confuses me as much as when people say that Donkey Kong Country was "bad".

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I bought Gal Metal and am actively fighting octopuses. :black101:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Banjo and Kazooie being "bad" confuses me as much as when people say that Donkey Kong Country was "bad".

Have you replayed the classic DK games recently? I did, and they're definitely not as good as my child brain told me they were.

Maybe that's what they mean? I wouldn't say they're outright bad, just not terribly enjoyable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

THE loving MOON posted:

Did they make the boobs bigger?