Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Timby posted:

Fair warning: Korine's stuff is often intensely disturbing and it's not for everyone. Gummo, in particular, is a trip and a half.

I’ve seen Kids and Spring Breakers multiple times...worse than that?

TrixRabbi posted:

A lot of Michael Haneke's works are made up of vignettes featuring the same characters at different times and locations, could check out Code Unknown or The Seventh Continent. Holy Motors is a surreal take on that, putting its main character into various situations and shorts within the film.

edit: Four Rooms

I’ll put it on the list, I’ve been wanting to see Four Rooms for a while actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The only part of Gummo that really upset me was when he ate the spaghetti in the bathtub. I guess I'm desensitized to most everything else, but that was gross.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The fight in the kitchen is really disturbing to me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TrixRabbi posted:

The only part of Gummo that really upset me was when he ate the spaghetti in the bathtub. I guess I'm desensitized to most everything else, but that was gross.

Yeah I’ve seen that part and it’s really unsettling. I think the bacon taped to the wall is really what gets me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah I’ve seen that part and it’s really unsettling. I think the bacon taped to the wall is really what gets me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The fight in the kitchen is really disturbing to me.

There's lots of disturbing things in that movie. The blaśe attitude towards the cat poisoning is pretty f'd up. Gummo does have some vicious comedy in it too tho. I love the whole dance number with the kid's mom. The actress who played here played Peewee in the movie The Wanderers so I've always been a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35iLHuquyg

Also, using "autistic" as a slur against an animal you have weird issues with is pretty gross.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

Every couple years I get the Pokemon urge and I just recently went out and bought a used copy of Pokemon X. Never played X/Y and it's pretty fun but omg the camera is terrible.

I got one of these weird rear end things right now though and he's real and strong and he's my friend:

Lumiose City fuckin blows, the post-game episode all takes place there and it sucks trying to navigate around the city.

precision posted:

For some reason X/Y didn't grab me and I'd say they're my last favorite of the games outside of Gen 1.

Ultra Moon however is gaming nirvana, holy poo poo it's good and filled with great old mons in addition to cool new ones and the camera is legit amazing.

I forgot how strong :psyduck: is, even before evolving. Between him and the laughably OP Cutiefly I hardly ever use anyone else

X/Y’s story isn’t too hot, especially (from how I played it) coming off the heels of OR, which does the same kinda story but better. Also, I think having a team of frenemies is more cluttered than just having one. Re: Cutiefly, Bug types typically don’t do much damage, but Cutiefly’s strong and its fairy type gives it a strong way to play off Fighting and Dragon types.

precision posted:

Is Alpha Sapphire really good?

Hell yes, ORAS is really good, it has some neat Pokémon hunting features and a mad dope fast-travel mechanism that I’m surprised isn’t in any other game.

precision posted:

She continued the abuse well into her teen years, iirc, talking about when she was 13 or so she would bribe her little sister with cookies to make out

I hadn’t heard about this, Jesus.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hell yes, ORAS is really good, it has some neat Pokémon hunting features and a mad dope fast-travel mechanism that I’m surprised isn’t in any other game.

Like all pokemon games you get access to a great feature once per gen.

The random trade thing they added for XY and beyond is great and I'm glad that stuck around. I played pretty often up to Sun n Moon (havent played their sequels yet) and kept a spreadsheet of my top pokemans that I could breed for people. I'm way too dorky with pokemans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What is it with sitcoms and baby episodes where all the friends go to the hospital with the expectant couple? Do people actually do that in real life?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know Pokémon is still popular now, but it's always strange to me to remember how overwhelmingly popular it was 20 years ago. The games and the anime, yes, but the one thing that was bigger than everything else put together in my experience was the trading card game. Even people who didn't play the games or watch the cartoon went mad for those cards.

But then it just seemed to stop being popular. I assume it's down to Harry Potter; I remember Pokémon being the thing everybody was into, then overnight Harry Potter was the only game in town.

Do kids still go in for huge crazes like that? I remember it being Pro-Yos, then Pokémon, then Harry Potter, then that was it as far as I was paying attention. Considering where it is now, Star Wars never felt that popular by comparison even when the prequel movies were coming out. Lord of the Rings was far more popular.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best feature so far in Ultra Moon is that you can play Prof Oak's Pro Surfer all you want and get points you can redeem for stat raising items.

The only thing I don't like is that I'm on the second island and every single trainer still only has a single pokemon, sometimes two. I miss long fights.

At least the rival still has several mons. Also his pikachu is a little rear end in a top hat and almost killed my Mawile.

Also I just caught an Eevee :neckbeard:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coffee And Pie posted:

About as disturbing as Kids, but for different reasons. Spring Breakers looks like a light romp in comparison to both movies, imo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when I was eight or nine, I entered this school competition and won a book token, which I used to get one of those junior readers Star Wars books that Scholastic did at the time, and I was thoroughly admonished by the other lads in my class for not using it to get one of the "novelisations" (they were less than 100 pages so I don't think they could really be called novels) of Pokémon anime episodes that were coming out at the time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

Like all pokemon games you get access to a great feature once per gen.

The random trade thing they added for XY and beyond is great and I'm glad that stuck around. I played pretty often up to Sun n Moon (havent played their sequels yet) and kept a spreadsheet of my top pokemans that I could breed for people. I'm way too dorky with pokemans.

I’ve gotten so many drat fossils from Poke Pelago, I just turn them into Pokémon and Wonder Trade them off.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Pokémon is still popular now, but it's always strange to me to remember how overwhelmingly popular it was 20 years ago. The games and the anime, yes, but the one thing that was bigger than everything else put together in my experience was the trading card game. Even people who didn't play the games or watch the cartoon went mad for those cards.

But then it just seemed to stop being popular. I assume it's down to Harry Potter; I remember Pokémon being the thing everybody was into, then overnight Harry Potter was the only game in town.

Do kids still go in for huge crazes like that? I remember it being Pro-Yos, then Pokémon, then Harry Potter, then that was it as far as I was paying attention. Considering where it is now, Star Wars never felt that popular by comparison even when the prequel movies were coming out. Lord of the Rings was far more popular.

Fortnite. It’s Fortnite now.

precision posted:

The best feature so far in Ultra Moon is that you can play Prof Oak's Pro Surfer all you want and get points you can redeem for stat raising items.

The only thing I don't like is that I'm on the second island and every single trainer still only has a single pokemon, sometimes two. I miss long fights.

At least the rival still has several mons. Also his pikachu is a little rear end in a top hat and almost killed my Mawile.

Also I just caught an Eevee :neckbeard:

I wonder if Ultra has the Eevee sidequest where you get Eevee’s Z-crystal, which looks really cool but is kind of disappointing. Also, you’ll want to get top scores on the beaches, because you get something really dumb/awesome if you do that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, this all seems pretty anecdotal. Yeah, Pokemon cards were popular amongst the, like, 10 kids in my friend group that I interacted with regularly—but they were probably also ignored or looked down on a lot by other kids who weren't quite as dorky. Star Wars was big amongst a few folks but ignored otherwise, Lord of the Rings made a pretty big splash in high school but again isolated to just a medium-sized group of dorks, I've never heard of Pro-Yos and had to Google them, Harry Potter didn't make much of a splash in my school—though then again, maybe there's a handful of folks who thought Pokemon or LotR wasn't very popular and thought everyone was obsessed with Harry Potter.

I think when you're a kid your worldview is so small that you assume everyone is into the specific stuff you're into because it's so pervasive in your own life. I think Pokemon is supposed to be more popular now than ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Spring Breakers is pretty much a straight-up comedy compared to GUMMO.

I have yet to see Julian Donkey Boy, though, so maybe that's his most grotesque. (Considering the subject matter, it's highly possible.)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was talking about movies with my coworker, he's about 55, a friendly Tibetan guy. The conversation went like this...

Him: I was in a movie once. It's about the Dalai Lama. It's called Kundun. Martin Scorsese directed it.
Me::aaa:
Him: At first I was an extra but they gave me some lines.
Me::aaaaa:
Him:Martin gave me some 1 on 1 acting lessons to prepare.
Me::psyduck:
Him: I got to know him a little bit. I cooked a Tibetan dinner for him one time.
Me::psypop:
Him: See, here's a picture of us.
Me::psyboom:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

deoju posted:

I was talking about movies with my coworker, he's about 55, a friendly Tibetan guy. The conversation went like this...

Him: I was in a movie once. It's about the Dalai Lama. It's called Kundun. Martin Scorsese directed it.
Me::aaa:
Him: At first I was an extra but they gave me some lines.
Me::aaaaa:
Him:Martin gave me some 1 on 1 acting lessons to prepare.
Me::psyduck:
Him: I got to know him a little bit. I cooked a Tibetan dinner for him one time.
Me::psypop:
Him: See, here's a picture of us.
Me::psyboom:

Did you tell him you liked it?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Edit: ^^^^ god drat you

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7EDnC629s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Spring Breakers is pretty much a straight-up comedy compared to GUMMO.

I have yet to see Julian Donkey Boy, though, so maybe that's his most grotesque. (Considering the subject matter, it's highly possible.)

Gummo and Kids seem like wacky comedies compared to Julian Donkey Boy. That movie's loving BLEAK.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I know a guy who was an extra in Silence. No lines tho.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The best sopranos quote

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Stormare is so goddamn bad in Castlevania.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

James Woods Fan posted:

Can't say I blame him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dated the woman who dies in the first 5 minutes of Blood and Donuts. She said David Cronenberg was really nice. Then again, he wasn't directing that one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

wait, what? he voices Godbrand right? Godbrand loving owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's a super broad and OTT performance but it fits the character perfectly

i mean his battlecry is literally just screaming his own name at people

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I know a guy who was an extra in Silence. No lines tho.

Wacka wacka

Also the talk of Kids reminded me of my friend who saw the trailer and said “so it’s just Kids again?” And kinda? But like if all the kids were also like kinda good kids. The sex scene is about as uncomfortable though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One more day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwVle16RHKY

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A 1-900 line to talk to Freddy Krueger? The 80s were weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SimonCat posted:

A 1-900 line to talk to Freddy Krueger? The 80s were weird.

People bitch about day 1 DLC and exclusive pre order bonuses but those ain't got poo poo on the Nintendo Tip Line. poo poo was something like a dollar a minute

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I have a weird question about storytelling structure: is there any precedence for a feature film made up of several 10-20 minute chunks about the same characters?

Check out Godard's Vivre sa vie, which tells the story of a young woman in twelve short episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

People bitch about day 1 DLC and exclusive pre order bonuses but those ain't got poo poo on the Nintendo Tip Line. poo poo was something like a dollar a minute

The cool thing about the Nintendo Tip Line, as much of a racket as it was, was that the Game Counselors encouraged kids to think of the solutions themselves, rather than just giving them out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Timby posted:

The cool thing about the Nintendo Tip Line, as much of a racket as it was, was that the Game Counselors encouraged kids to think of the solutions themselves, rather than just giving them out.

Of course they did, it makes for a longer phone call.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Of course they did, it makes for a longer phone call.

Nintendo was impressively brazen about scraping every last penny out of gamers. I'll never forget reading a Nintendo Power review of an NBA game on the N64 and thinking that the writer's name seemed oddly familiar; I went through some back issues and found an interview with him--he was literally the lead designer.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timby posted:

Nintendo was impressively brazen about scraping every last penny out of gamers. I'll never forget reading a Nintendo Power review of an NBA game on the N64 and thinking that the writer's name seemed oddly familiar; I went through some back issues and found an interview with him--he was literally the lead designer.

More video game journalism outlets should just do this, they’d pay less by cutting out the go-between.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In a world where most news is terrible it's nice to get something like this every once in awhile
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1057352039947223041

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
He is desperately trying to spin this all as fake news while his comments try to explain that he might literally go to jail over this The kindest comments are ones telling him to just shut the gently caress up and get a lawyer like yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

axelblaze posted:

In a world where most news is terrible it's nice to get something like this every once in awhile
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1057352039947223041

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1057347659235815430

• Locked thread