Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A lot of it appears to be largely up to the inspector or whoever is involved in the, like, audit/review process. So it depends on a sanity check on their part, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Sure, if you want to balkanize your network and make it impossible for your citizens to do business on the Internet.

If the businesses commit crimes, it would be nothing but prudent to protect your citizens from being abused by the practices of such businesses. :goonsay:

If the businesses want to do business with your citizens, then they have to obey local law as it applies to your citizens. This is the principle by which all other businesses work, there's no reason it shouldn't apply to ones you contact via phone lines.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I suspect a lot of GDPR vagueness is intended to be whittled away by precedents as they get set. Sucks to be the test case, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Huh. I guess then it comes down to whether or not 1) a forum is considered social media, and 2) if a username is considered personal.

To me, both are obviously "no." But I completely understand that stranger things happen in law than I'd expect.

E: "Directly or indirectly" adds a laughable amount of vagueness to this, holy poo poo.
Welcome to the GDPR!

And near as I can tell - (1) yes, a username is considered personal - it's fundamentally similar to an email address; and (2) a forum is as much social media as anything else out there.

But also near as I can find, there hasn't been any specific precedent, so the general thought right now is "be as cautious as possible because the fines for violations are immense."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. You could've set your watch by 'um the people against bigots are the REAL bigots' and 'almost half of America voted for Trump are you against them too?' I need to check my Outrage Bingo sheet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jesus, what a mess.

The outcome of this is ultimately going to be an I AGREE block you must check to waive GDPR when you register anywhere.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The fundamental notions behind the GDPR are good ones. The way it's written primarily harms good faith actors in the system while not really doing much to curtail abuses.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

moths posted:

Jesus, what a mess.

The outcome of this is ultimately going to be an I AGREE block you must check to waive GDPR when you register anywhere.

Not if things don't completely break down, and the fact the GDPR got passed in the first place means they've not broken down yet. It's a right and you can't waive it, and any contract that would try to get you to waive it is unenforcable.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The fundamental notions behind the GDPR are good ones. The way it's written primarily harms good faith actors in the system while not really doing much to curtail abuses.

European Law in a nutshell really. See also the VAT changes of a few years ago.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I don't know how much faith I have in the EU to come down like a ton of bricks on a tiny elfgames forum. It feels like wishful thinking on the part of the sour grapes brigade.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

Jesus, what a mess.

You can't. Discord recently tried this and the broad consensus is it's unenforceable in the EU.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't know how much faith I have in the EU to come down like a ton of bricks on a tiny elfgames forum. It feels like wishful thinking on the part of the sour grapes brigade.
They probably won't, but the consequences if they do are high enough that there's a strong incentive to take the maximalist view in terms of compliance. The bigger issue is that GDPR also provides a structure for users to sue but very little guidance at this point as to what counts in terms of public good or legitimate interest exceptions. Nor for what qualifies as sufficient for pseudonymization.

That creates room for the kind of bad faith GDPR chicken like what dwarf74 described. In practice, a suit probably should be thrown out, and even if it didn't RPG.net would probably win... but maybe not. And even then, you've got costs associated with defending yourself.

It's really that ambiguity there that's the problem.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 30, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

From Shannon's post on the matter it sounds like Skotos at least think they're compliant and aren't worried, which may or may not be an accurate belief.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For what it's worth people have threatened legal action against RPGnet/Skotos before and they do seem to have lawyers on hand to deal with that sort of thing. It's no guarantee that things won't escalate but at the very least Shannon isn't just going about his business blindly.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The whole tech industry has been running in circles about the GPDR but a lot of it is worst-case theorising / rear end-covering. Hey, local New Zealand hat company, I'm pretty sure you're not going to get black-bagged to some EU dungeon for not providing a remove-the-review-i-posted function on your website before Christmas.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

That's true but no one wants to be the test case. And I think folks can be forgiven in the current day to be a bit leery of just assuming governments will stick to the intent of a law.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's actually funny how, even though we poo poo on rpg.net all the time for being a hugbox, they're the ones finally willing to finally do a blanket ban on Trump supporters while SA still happily continues to whore itself out to them.

Is there any reason we can't implement a blanket ban on MAGA here too? Would it just cost Lowtax too much income?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bedlamdan posted:

It's actually funny how, even though we poo poo on rpg.net all the time for being a hugbox, they're the ones finally willing to finally do a blanket ban on Trump supporters while SA still happily continues to whore itself out to them.

Is there any reason we can't implement a blanket ban on MAGA here too? Would it just cost Lowtax too much income?

GBS would literally burst into flames.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kurieg posted:

That sounds like a feature rather than a bug.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That sounds like a feature rather than a bug.
:hmmyes:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Kurieg posted:

So we should do it without a second thought, is what you're saying? Sounds good to me.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bedlamdan posted:

It might seem a bit hypocritical, considering our founder's fondness for edgelording racial slurs in TYoOL 2018

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

It might seem a bit hypocritical, considering our founder's fondness for edgelording racial slurs in TYoOL 2018
Better to be a hypocrite than coddle fascists.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cessna posted:

It's all good, no worries.
And good on you for changing it around, man.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I have my reservations about the kind of policing that moderators should do on message boards, how much power should be done on their hands and how confrontation and debate should be let to exist on those places but I have an absolute loathing and contempt for groyper/proud boy people and I know how they are a complete blight whenever they are tolerated to post so I think that expelling them from places is a positive.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

I have my reservations about the kind of policing that moderators should do on message boards, how much power should be done on their hands and how confrontation and debate should be let to exist on those places but I have an absolute loathing and contempt for groyper/proud boy people and I know how they are a complete blight whenever they are tolerated to post so I think that expelling them from places is a positive.

Pretty much, and the longer this goes on for (and it looks like it's here for the long haul) the more online communities are going to have to start taking steps like this.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I agree with Plutonis. I think there are pretty clear lines one can draw in the sand between 'useful if sometimes tedious contention' and 'advocating fascism' and loud MAGA worship is the second one.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Angrymog posted:

an elfgames forum is small fry compared to other targets for the ICO (or whichever body enforces GDPR) the legislation doesn't actually give a drat about how big your business is.

Enforcement totally does though. The legalization was crafted to have a weapon against Amazon, Apple, Google and Facebook as they're gathering power to rival nation states at this point. Lots of tech companies and websites scramble to get protected, and the increased business is a nice bonus, but this was always about having something to threaten the big four with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

I agree with Plutonis. I think there are pretty clear lines one can draw in the sand between 'useful if sometimes tedious contention' and 'advocating fascism' and loud MAGA worship is the second one.

Which didn't even really seem like a thing at the Purple until they said you can't trumpet 45 to the heavens.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Which didn't even really seem like a thing at the Purple until they said you can't trumpet 45 to the heavens.

There's always been a small but dedicated handful of die-hard conservatives who post to RPGnet, or there were the last time I cared to check anyway. I have no idea if those guys have moved on or metamorphosed into full-blown MAGA dudes or what.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the big one was DiamondSpear, who got perma'd a while back. There were a lot more a few years ago, when the moderation was still sufficiently desperate not to look jackbooted that they'd let people torment them rather than just ban obvious trolls for good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
wtf is banning on an unpaid forum?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

wtf is banning on an unpaid forum?

You block their IP address, and then when they figure that out and re-reg using a proxy IP or VPN or whatever, you discover and ban their new accounts because they can't help but post in the same style about the same stupid poo poo in the same exact places.

If they manage to change their posting habits enough to be impossible to associate with an old banned account and also not doing things to draw attention and get banned again, then... you've succeeded anyway.

e. but I'm very convinced that having to lose :tenbux: every time you have to re-reg is a pretty effective filter for this stuff too, discouraging a lot of the casual impulse poo poo and generating constant revenue streams from the really dedicated assholes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I guess that's what I figured, and banning is kind of a strong word for that. I guess it's not much of an announcement if you say "posting in support of the trump administration will cause you to spend upwards of 5 minutes re-registering", though I suppose there might be a waiting period before you can post. The :10bux: works because it's not so much money that it's onerous if you gently caress up once or just want to join the first time, but it's enough to make you pause before you post inflammatory stuff on purpose.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 31, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I guess that's what I figured, and banning is kind of a strong word for that. I guess it's not much of an announcement if you say "posting in support of the trump administration will cause you to spend upwards of 5 minutes re-registering", though I suppose there might be a waiting period before you can post. The :10bux: works because it's not so much money that it's onerous if you gently caress up once or just want to join the first time, but it's enough to make you pause before you post inflammatory stuff on purpose.

In theory I guess but in practice it seems like plenty of persistently lovely posters are willing to pony up ten bucks now and again since bans seem to be handed out pretty sparingly on the whole. Like yeah I guess it stops a bunch of driveby shitposting like what that RPGnet thread is dealing with at the moment, but the tax doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent for persistently terrible posters here which results in mods eventually having to give them things like unofficial subforum bans, chain 6ers, temporary time-outs, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

In theory I guess but in practice it seems like plenty of persistently lovely posters are willing to pony up ten bucks now and again since bans seem to be handed out pretty sparingly on the whole. Like yeah I guess it stops a bunch of driveby shitposting like what that RPGnet thread is dealing with at the moment, but the tax doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent for persistently terrible posters here which results in mods eventually having to give them things like unofficial subforum bans, chain 6ers, temporary time-outs, etc.
Yeah for sure - it's one tool. It explicitly doesn't stop you from posting, that's what probation is for. It's more like a way to make saying certain things cost you money and thus make you not want to do them ad nauseum. In my eyes more to deter individual really bad posts, as opposed to probations which for on persistent if less bad posts.

I think a registration delay would actually somewhat accomplish the same things, which for all I know rpgnet already has. You could hoard accounts if you're....dedicated, just like dare or gurf keep spending $10 here, but for free options it'd be pretty good. (limit create 1 account per ip as well)

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I want to point out that the goal discussed isn't perfect rear end in a top hat prevention, it's rear end in a top hat mitigation. So a few people being willing to pony up the effort/:10bux: required isn't really the point, it's that most people bounce off that barrier to entry.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Also, rpg.net does a lot of play-by-post stuff and organizing campaigns through the forums, and anyone who's banned can't exactly just jump back into any ongoing games they were in under a new account, so that's another potential cost of getting banned. Not much of a disincentive for drive-by trolls, but long-term members with attachments to the community have a reason to remain in good standing.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 31, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bans seem to work well enough for rpgnet, in the sense that they make people unreasonably angry when received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

Bans seem to work well enough for rpgnet, in the sense that they make people unreasonably angry when received.

Christ ain't that the truth.