Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I know this is more the thing of the weirdos over in the bird photography thread, but I think this one is overdue some poop tax..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
print that bad boy as large as you can

torgeaux posted:

Is that fish made out of bacon?

I wish. They're native to this area so nobody really eats them like in Florida or wherever though.

This thing was as big as my leg:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Atlatl posted:

This thing was as big as my leg:

When an eel bites your thigh
And you think you might die
That's a moray...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Helen Highwater posted:

When an eel bites your thigh
And you think you might die
That's a moray...

When you are far from land
And something takes your hand
That’s...a moraaaaay.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
A few a couple of elk from this morning at Grizzly Island in the Sacramento Delta.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

That’s a great image.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not enough pooing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That’s why it’s “great”, and not “perfect”.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DorianGravy posted:

Loads of great stuff in the past couple pages, but I especially like this one:

How'd you get such nice soft colors? Is it just the time of day?

Thanks! The softness is because I was shooting into a sunset with a shitload of light bouncing off the water

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, what happens when a young, stupid bull tangles with playground equipment?

Two Bulls (one of questionable intellect) by B. B., on Flickr

The large herd was gathered in an easily accessible location today. There were 5 mature bulls in the herd, and a handful of immature bulls (oh, and one bored horse).

The Big Herd by B. B., on Flickr

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Finally managed to catch this little fellow - he's been hanging around the neighborhood but I usually don't have my camera when I see him.

Gotcha by arcsech, on Flickr

Not a particularly interesting shot, unfortunately. I have what might be a better shot but it needs some exposure tweaking, photographic black animals makes for some kinda tricky exposure.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Arcsech posted:

Finally managed to catch this little fellow - he's been hanging around the neighborhood but I usually don't have my camera when I see him.

Gotcha by arcsech, on Flickr

Not a particularly interesting shot, unfortunately. I have what might be a better shot but it needs some exposure tweaking, photographic black animals makes for some kinda tricky exposure.

I get why you shared this--sometimes it's the effort and payoff that's really the reward.

It took me ages to get this shot. It's technically very rough, but drat did I put some work into capturing this guy on the wing...

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m just not on board with these new furbies.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yeah same

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

These are fantastic! Where is this?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
They're both on Guam. The octopus was on the wreck of the Kitsugawa Maru in outer Apra Harbor. The trevally were at a dive site called Black Coral Kingdom that's right at Facpi Point. There's a big school of them that lives in the crevice there formed by a freshwater outflow, and they're not used to people at all/don't get fished so they'll come out to school around you to check you out. Nobody spearfishes or drags lines over there because all the fish are down at ~180 feet and it's right next to a big grounding hazard with lots of current.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Atlatl posted:

They're both on Guam. The octopus was on the wreck of the Kitsugawa Maru in outer Apra Harbor. The trevally were at a dive site called Black Coral Kingdom that's right at Facpi Point. There's a big school of them that lives in the crevice there formed by a freshwater outflow, and they're not used to people at all/don't get fished so they'll come out to school around you to check you out. Nobody spearfishes or drags lines over there because all the fish are down at ~180 feet and it's right next to a big grounding hazard with lots of current.

Ever get up to Rota? I was there eons ago and Rota had way better snorkling.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I haven't gotten up to anywhere in the CNMI yet :negative: but I'll have a big work break and will spend some time up there beginning of next year. The whole CNMI got wiped out by the past two typhoons so I'm not sure how many dive shops are back up yet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I only got one weekend up there, but saw as many monitors as I did 2 months in Guam, and also there was a cool seabird rookery with tropicbirds and boobies. Had a pretty close encounter with a reef shark too.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I'll should take my bird lens up there when I go. It'll probably be in January some time.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Will those guys interact with you, or do they pretty quickly haul rear end?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
They have a lot of predators out here and these ones don't like lights much so they just hide away. The best you can hope for is that they get that you're not a threat and ignore you while hunting. I haven't heard or seen any interacting with people here, because they're not as sociable as the ones in Hawaii.

I was trying to get some action shots of him hunting but he caught a fish in the next rock over within 10 seconds of moving out and just sat in the hole eating it.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That looks like an album cover... :kiddo:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Elephants! Jungle trek in Chiang Mai.

IMG_2726.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2790.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2735.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Golfing today. Saw him twice, about an hour and a half apart. On this course, I've seen deer, elk, coyote, fox, rabbits and squirrels. Nice living in the Rockies.

Fairway 18 by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pleasant Hill Otters logo2-1048 on Flickr

Pleasant Hill Otter logo2-1107 on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Using the old M42 Takumar 100mm f/3.5 that I bought from a Goon ages ago. Great lens

IMG_2919.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2894.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2889.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I missed a few months of this thread and scrolled back a bit. Holy poo poo Atlatl, your underwater stuff is just incredible.

Helen Highwater posted:

Using the old M42 Takumar 100mm f/3.5 that I bought from a Goon ages ago. Great lens

IMG_2919.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2894.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2889.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr
Great results, those are so sharp.

I've been going through some bear stuff from June.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Still going through europe:

And a bearded dragon in Aus

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 23, 2018

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon Coyote-1772 on Flickr

and first time trying to make a gif.

Saw a bobcat here for the first time too, but the photos were really distant and not worth sharing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

and first time trying to make a gif.

This is cool. What was the process?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't have photoshop right now (most of the instructions I saw used photoshop), so I cropped and processed the first frame in Lightroom. Then in Library Grid View you can right click then Develop Settings/Copy Settings. Then select the other ones you want and then Right click/Develop Settings/Paste Settings.

Once you get them all exported (I did 300pixel x 300 pixel), I went to gickr.com and managed to upload the jpegs and make the gif without accidentally clicking on the bullshit ads.

e: gickr

e2: faster version

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 27, 2018

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

That's awesome, what a cool thing to see!

--
Saw some moose in Walden, Colorado. Awesome creatures.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Saw some moose in Walden, Colorado. Awesome creatures.

Love the dusting of snow on their backs.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
last dive of the year

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Bobcat from Point Reyes this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm going with my brother to Alaska in mid February for an exploration sorta trip. We're going to be there for 4 days or so. Anyone been shooting around Anchorage or similar? Any cool spots? I'm bringing my digital stuff as well as my medium format film equipment.

accipter posted:

Bobcat from Point Reyes this morning.

Holy poo poo that's really cool.