Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Michelangelo, time to stop acting like a teenager, grow up and act like a Young Adult Mutant Ninja Turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So did someone just color Raph and Mikey wrong or

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

So did someone just color Raph and Mikey wrong or

No, it's clearly Raph standing behind splinter, you can see his sais in the third panel.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love how even Raphael's like "ohh you hosed up now mikey"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wasn’t joking in my post on the last page. Mikey and Splinter have had some serious issues in the comic. Not one of those ‘it’s all worked out after four issues’ kinda thing it’s a long term story about how Mikey’s feeling about some questionable actions Splinter takes.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I wasn’t joking in my post on the last page. Mikey and Splinter have had some serious issues in the comic. Not one of those ‘it’s all worked out after four issues’ kinda thing it’s a long term story about how Mikey’s feeling about some questionable actions Splinter takes.

I may have to pick this up, cause usually Mikey is the laid back "we make him angry when we need to show pissed off spider-man levels of anger"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RedMagus posted:

I may have to pick this up, cause usually Mikey is the laid back "we make him angry when we need to show pissed off spider-man levels of anger"

Mike in the comics is still the fun one but he's more than just that. He's actually quite thoughtful and more of a moral center for the group and very idealistic compared to the rest of them.

Here's a scene which illustrates a bit of what exactly the tension between them is without giving away anything specific in case you wish to dive into it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-O posted:

Is it like, Scott Summers/Professor X bad?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it like, Scott Summers/Professor X bad?

Spoiler without a spoiler tag: Mikey didn't kill Splinter, so no.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yet

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Spoiler without a spoiler tag: Mikey didn't kill Splinter, so no.

Is Xavier still dead? I haven't been following the comics.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow, that actually looks pretty cool. TMNT has never been something I've been HUGELY into, but it's always been somewhere in my heart. What's Leo doing? He's always been my favorite one.

Skwirl posted:

No, it's clearly Raph standing behind splinter, you can see his sais in the third panel.

:thejoke:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that might upset Raphael somewhat. This is the same guy who threw Leo through a loving wall because they weren't acting on their return to NYC fast enough.

SonicRulez posted:

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool. TMNT has never been something I've been HUGELY into, but it's always been somewhere in my heart. What's Leo doing? He's always been my favorite one.

:thejoke:

TMNT comics are generally pretty good!

Fun fact: The first movie is the reason my dad took me to the comic store for the first time.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Okay so who's publishing it and what's the exact title, cause I am in. I used to read all the old Mirage, Image and Archie TMNT and this looks really good.

TMNT's my soft spot. I still remember when Raph became Shredder in the Image line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

John Dyne posted:

Okay so who's publishing it and what's the exact title, cause I am in. I used to read all the old Mirage, Image and Archie TMNT and this looks really good.

TMNT's my soft spot. I still remember when Raph became Shredder in the Image line.

IDW is the publisher. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the title. It's currently on issue 87 I believe but I read it in trades so I'm only at trade 20 which just came out a month ago. The stuff we've been talking about started a few trades back Somewhere around issue 60 I believe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Mike in the comics is still the fun one but he's more than just that. He's actually quite thoughtful and more of a moral center for the group and very idealistic compared to the rest of them.

Here's a scene which illustrates a bit of what exactly the tension between them is without giving away anything specific in case you wish to dive into it.

My favorite Mikey bit, which probably deserves to be in the touching panels thread, is the end of the arc that introduced Slash. Slash seemingly died at Leo's hand and Mikey was all broken up over it. Raph commented on it dismissively, which led to Splinter angrily chewing him out and talking about how Mikey has compassion and such a thing shouldn't be laughed at, but admired.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Is Xavier still dead? I haven't been following the comics.

Nah he came back recently in Fantomex's body and is calling himself X.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

uh.

where's fantomex then.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
They hinted in the 2012 TV Show that Mikey wants to see more of the world around them and hates being stuck in the sewer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

uh.

where's fantomex then.

Stuck in the astral plane

Someone make :capitalism: except it's "THAT'S X-MEN"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

uh.

where's fantomex then.

He was cool with it. Gave permission actually so he could be remembered for doing something for the greater good. Turns out having a young body and lease on life turned our buddy Chuck into even more of an overt rear end in a top hat though.The issue where he manipulates the original X-Men is a great example of how much of a poo poo he is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

He was cool with it. Gave permission actually so he could be remembered for doing something for the greater good. Turns out having a young body and lease on life turned our buddy Chuck into even more of an overt rear end in a top hat though.The issue where he manipulates the original X-Men is a great example of how much of a poo poo he is.

What comics is this happening in?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

What comics is this happening in?

Soule's run on Astonishing X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Soule's run on Astonishing X-Men.

Is it good? I mostly like his other stuff. I usually get my X-news from the X-thread, but it's all about Wolverine's Hot Claws at the moment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was *fine* but lasted longer than it needed to, I thought. I certainly wouldn't put it among his best work, and it had a gimmick of having a different artist every issue which I think was a mistake since it didn't give the series a chance to really have its own look and feel. Matt Rosenberg is writing it now and Greg Land is pencilling so I can't tell if you if it's any good since I refuse to buy Land's work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just picked up the IDW TMNT hardcovers through volume 7, that book is legit great and I'm worried that Nickelodeon will be dumb like Hasbro and want synergy and force a reboot or something stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I just picked up the IDW TMNT hardcovers through volume 7, that book is legit great and I'm worried that Nickelodeon will be dumb like Hasbro and want synergy and force a reboot or something stupid.

Are they making a new TMNT cartoon or something?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

That's one of the reasons why I find Harbinger so interesting. It's like what X-Men would have been like if someone was asked to join the team and Xavier was being his mid-2000-to-now self right off the bat.

Speaking of Harbinger, this is from Harbinger Renegade #3. The team is drawn back together after Torque (who is Captain Marvel Jr. if he was a white trash jackass) gets his rear end kicked by a mysterious new threat. With them is Kris' girlfriend Tamara, who has no powers, and Jay, whose powers have yet to kick in.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Skwirl posted:

They are, called Rise of the TMNT. From the few episodes I saw, it's alright, but it's not story-arc driven like the 2003 or 2012 series. What I saw was a couple of A/B episodes that had goofy one-off plots, like the turtles getting involved in a wrestling match or shopping for a robe for Splinter. There's also a villain voiced by John Cena.

Some nerds online threw a fit over the art and the fact April is black, but since it's nerds on the internet it died pretty quick. I like most of the designs since they're all supposed to be different kinds of turtles, but Donny is way too smug; most of the still shots I find of him have Dreamwork brow.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

You can ask this same question every 3 years or so and the answer will be yes.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i like nerds freaking out about april having a different character design but not hte fact that the turtles vary so wildly lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Please tell me Raph is a snapping turtle and therefore an enormous lunkhead

E: I mean I can see that his character design is "enormous lunkhead", I just want that to be the particular reason why

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
For a pretty gimmicky concept from the '80's, TMNT has a lot of legs and can fit a whole range of moods and genres. I was early teens the first time round and it just keeps coming back. I guess there'll always be twelve year olds.

(My secret theory, though, is that if you jump the shark hard and fast enough, you can get away with most anything. Boston Legal, for example, did in the first few episodes. TMNT does it before you've finished reading the title.)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

Please tell me Raph is a snapping turtle and therefore an enormous lunkhead

Raph is a Common Snapping Turtle, Donatello is a Softshell Turtle, Leo is a Red-Eared Slider, and Michaelangelo is a Box Turtle, per Wikipedia.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

John Dyne posted:

They are, called Rise of the TMNT. From the few episodes I saw, it's alright, but it's not story-arc driven like the 2003 or 2012 series. What I saw was a couple of A/B episodes that had goofy one-off plots, like the turtles getting involved in a wrestling match or shopping for a robe for Splinter. There's also a villain voiced by John Cena.

Some nerds online threw a fit over the art and the fact April is black, but since it's nerds on the internet it died pretty quick. I like most of the designs since they're all supposed to be different kinds of turtles, but Donny is way too smug; most of the still shots I find of him have Dreamwork brow.

Is this the one where they replace Raph's sais with tonfa? I seem to recall a lot of "NOT MY RAPHAEL!" over the whole thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't watched the new cartoon, I think the art style leaves a lot to be desired, but the only change I've heard about that struck me as weird is Raphael being the leader of the group and Leonardo being the sarcastic rebel. That's just... weird.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TMNT chat? Hello yeah. I know the IDW series has been recommended but if you keep an eye on it they throw it on sale 3-4 times a year and the stories are well worth the read.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Dyne posted:

Some nerds online threw a fit over the art and the fact April is black,
Fun fact: She was, in fact, black in the original comics!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zereth posted:

Fun fact: She was, in fact, black in the original comics!

No she was not.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2018/02/was-april-oneil-originally-black-in.html

Although that was a good one, since you made me question my memory and I had to google it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

10 Beers posted:

Is this the one where they replace Raph's sais with tonfa? I seem to recall a lot of "NOT MY RAPHAEL!" over the whole thing.

I remember when they posted the original art for that Splinter looked like a super racist charactature of an Asian Martial arts master.