Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Also the legendary Macquarie Island episode featuring the penguin holocaust. And the Douglas Mawson episode which is just insane.

I went to the Macquarie Island one in Melbourne. It was really good, especially as I'd recently been to the Hobart Museum and seen the penguin rendering cauldrons.
I didn't go this time round and I'm kind of glad I didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
They did a short one on the Emu war too. It's doesn't contain any information that most people in the thread wouldn't have heard, but hearing someone learn about it for the first time is the best.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

I was just reading that you can't get insurance for mental health stuff if you are seeing a mental health professional. I go to a brain man because it's loving good for you and it helps me with my work. What loving stupid archaic poo poo is this?

welcome 2 australia

mental health is really cool because the primary gatekeepers of mental health if you are poor are GPs who don't give a poo poo, cops who really don't give a poo poo, and hospitals who don't give a poo poo unless you are actively trying to kill yourself

basically if you are poor, don't have mental health problems.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good mental health is for middle class and above to deal with the stress of work so they take less sick days

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

and hospitals who don't give a poo poo unless you are actively trying to kill yourself

haha no

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

imagine being this wrong

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I mean hospitals don't give a poo poo if you are actively trying to kill you are self.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hospitals are under so much stress they have no room for you unless you are a suicide risk or having an episode

they usually do an assessment and if you are deemed not at risk of immediate harm you get shown the door with a referral to a gp

i’ve even seen cases of people at risk of immediate harm loaded up with medication and shown the door because of lack of beds

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I mean hospitals don't give a poo poo if you are actively trying to kill you are self.
oh we confused pessimism with optimism

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

you know, you could articulate your point rather than just drive by shitposting about it

e: I get it, in a country with a healthcare system like ours, how could things be so bad for mental health? And I agree, there are positives about our mental healthcare systems that are in place, but the problem is that access is either extremely limited, or that you are really hoping that a gatekeeper (i.e., GP) gives enough of a poo poo to assess how someone is going and maybe refer onto a MH service (e.g., psychologist), which may or may not have capacity to provide such a service.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 31, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think hospital emergency rooms should have anything to do with people wanting to kill themselves.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I don't think hospital emergency rooms should have anything to do with people wanting to kill themselves.

So where do you think that people should go if they are wanting to, or are in the process of killing themselves?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The best Australian dollop episode is about the guy who they based crocodile dundee off, and ties in well with inadequate care for mental illness chat, because goddamn was that guy unwell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

So where do you think that people should go if they are wanting to, or are in the process of killing themselves?

A place designed to deal with them specifically instead of a diagnose and dispose emergency room full of physically broken or physically sick people. You can't cure or patch up someone that's going to kill themselves in a triage room, make something outside the box of that type of medicine.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

We could have proper mental health clinics, staffed by a mixture of clinical (to handle medication) and counselling staff (to handle the other parts) where people could walk in when they're having such a bad time and be treated appropriately.

But we won't because we as a country still choose to stigmatise mental illness, while making a huge fuss about it on 2-3 allocated days of the year.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
*eternal screaming*

Guardian AU posted:

Indigenous advancement funding redirected to cattlemen and fishing groups
Nigel Scullion gave almost half a million dollars to groups to argue how they might be negatively impacted by land rights claims

Indigenous affairs minister Nigel Scullion has given almost half a million dollars’ worth of funds earmarked for alleviating Indigenous disadvantage to fishing and cattlemen’s groups in the Northern Territory. The grants will go towards legal fees for the groups to argue how they might be negatively impacted by land rights claims, he told a Senate estimates hearing last week.

The move has angered the opposition, who says the minister is treating the Indigenous advancement strategy (IAS) like his own “slush fund”.

The $4.9bn IAS is designed to “improve the way the government does business with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, to ensure funding actually achieves outcomes”, according to the government website.

The minister approved grants of $150,000 to the NT seafood council, $170,000 to the NT amateur fishermen’s association, and $165,000 to the NT Cattlemen’s Association for “legal fees, effectively ... to put forward a case of detriment to the land commissioner,” he told the estimates hearing.

Under the NT Land Rights Act, those who consider a land claim would have a negative impact on their business or personal interests can argue a ‘detriment’ case about how their future access to income, land or water would suffer if a land claim is approved.

The NT’s amateur fishermen (AFANT) have been outspoken about land rights in the past, saying their “aim is to ensure no detriment to recreational fishers as part of future native title grants.”

“AFANT has continued to take an active interest in advocacy and direct involvement in land access issues through providing recreational fishing perspective directly to government,” it has said.

Scullion denied the grants enabled industry groups to oppose land claims.

“No, not at all. It’s about making their position on how they use the land at the moment, about how different determinations may affect their industry in different ways, but it certainly wouldn’t be opposing land claims,” he said.

The $490, 000 grants come from the IAS culture and capability division, which is supposed to fund “Indigenous cultural expression and conservation” and “participation in the social and economic life of Australia.”

Labor Senator Malarndirri McCarthy told Guardian Australia the minister was treating the IAS as “his slush fund”.

“Minister Scullion needs to explain why money that is specifically for closing the gap and advancing the lives of First Nations People has been given to non-Indigenous organisations to argue they would suffer detriment from land claims.

“The minister should also explain if other non-Indigenous organisations have received IAS grants to oppose land and native title claims.

“The Abbott-Turnbull–Morrison government has failed First Nations Australians.”

But when contacted by Guardian Australia, Northern Territory Cattlemen’s Association (NTCA) said its grant will be used for an employment program.

The NTCA confirmed it has received $165, 000, which, while still unspent, had been earmarked for their ‘real jobs’ program, which trains young Indigenous people for employment in the pastoral industry.

The funds will go towards cross-cultural training for employers, according to CEO Ashley Manicaros.

Manicaros said the NTCA hadn’t decided how much of the grant would be spent on legal fees, but there is a need to “unwind issues of detriment” in land claims.

It was right to access IAS money, he said, because the NTCA has Indigenous members who are also affected by land claims.

However, he said the minister’s comments were “not necessarily helpful”.

The NT Seafood Council also confirmed their grant had been approved.

“We understand that communities are concerned about the management of waterways, sustainable management of fisheries and about the lack of traditional owners’ involvement in the industry,” CEO Katherine Winchester said.

“The seafood industry shares this frustration as it cannot plan, invest or grow without certainty, which is why we are seeking to work directly with the relevant Land Councils and communities to achieve long-term solutions as soon as practicable.”

A spokesperson for Scullion said the grants were provided “in full accordance with the Indigenous Advancement Strategy guidelines.

“The minister has listened to the calls from communities to resolve these outstanding land claims,” the spokesperson said.

“The Coalition committed to resolving outstanding land claims and provided funding to a range of stakeholders to make this happen, something that Labor never has.”

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

A place designed to deal with them specifically instead of a diagnose and dispose emergency room full of physically broken or physically sick people. You can't cure or patch up someone that's going to kill themselves in a triage room, make something outside the box of that type of medicine.

Ah ok, some some imaginary place then. Cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Ah ok, some some imaginary place then. Cool.

This thread is all about outrageous imaginary perfect world solutions to things.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

This seems contrary to what Morrison said about the magic of science starting with faith or whatever

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/31/academics-will-have-to-pass-national-interest-test-for-public-funding-coalition-says

The Morrison government says academics who want to apply for research council funding will now have to explain how their proposed projects will “advance the national interest.”
He said the government will be providing $3bn in grants over the next four years, and the national interest test would “improve the public’s confidence” in why those grants are awarded

“The value of specific projects may be obvious to the academics who recommend which projects should receive funding but it is not always obvious to a non-academic,” Tehan said.

“If you’re asking the Australian taxpayer to fund your research you should be able to articulate how that research will advance the national interest.

Talk aboutcher political correctness on campus, drat

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Science doesn't work like that Scott moronson

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Just a day after we were talking about bee death the dude who keeps a bunch of hives at my place just told me he has to murder one of them because it has "American Foulbrood", and the other hives, sensing weakness, will steal their honey and millions will die in a plague of Foulbrood

Bees are so loving cool

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

The best Australian dollop episode is about the guy who they based crocodile dundee off, and ties in well with inadequate care for mental illness chat, because goddamn was that guy unwell

My man.

I wrote that episode.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

bowmore posted:

Hospitals are under so much stress they have no room for you unless you are a suicide risk or having an episode

they usually do an assessment and if you are deemed not at risk of immediate harm you get shown the door with a referral to a gp

i’ve even seen cases of people at risk of immediate harm loaded up with medication and shown the door because of lack of beds

My gp wrote me a referral to the hospital and they actually spent some time with me, it was a nice change to have people listen to me. They ended up increasing my dosage but it was fun to get tests done. I'm very lucky that I am poor and have an extremely good gp.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

This thread is all about outrageous imaginary perfect world solutions to things.

Mate if it ain't full Juche Communism I ain't buying

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Peccadillo posted:

This seems contrary to what Morrison said about the magic of science starting with faith or whatever

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/31/academics-will-have-to-pass-national-interest-test-for-public-funding-coalition-says

The Morrison government says academics who want to apply for research council funding will now have to explain how their proposed projects will “advance the national interest.”
He said the government will be providing $3bn in grants over the next four years, and the national interest test would “improve the public’s confidence” in why those grants are awarded

“The value of specific projects may be obvious to the academics who recommend which projects should receive funding but it is not always obvious to a non-academic,” Tehan said.

“If you’re asking the Australian taxpayer to fund your research you should be able to articulate how that research will advance the national interest.

Talk aboutcher political correctness on campus, drat

So anything related to renewables, art, gender, philosophy, history that isn't incredibly generous to Western Civilisation/collonialism, climate change, environmentalism of any other sort, or might upset Alan Jones or a conservative back bencher will be denied.

Awesome.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

*eternal screaming*

:same:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quote:

Hydrogen gas trial in western Sydney could unlock $1.7bn in renewable exports

Australians will soon power their homes with hydrogen in a five-year trial that scientists say could open the door to the widespread use of a new form of renewable energy.

Within two years, gas company Jemena and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (Arena) plan to mix a small amount of hydrogen into the domestic gas grid in western Sydney.

The zero-carbon fuel, which gives off only water vapour when burned, can be used for heating and cooking, and can replace most fossil fuels. A Jemena spokesman said a 10% hydrogen gas mix would make no noticeable difference for households.

Australians will soon power their homes with hydrogen in a five-year trial that scientists say could open the door to the widespread use of a new form of renewable energy.

Within two years, gas company Jemena and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (Arena) plan to mix a small amount of hydrogen into the domestic gas grid in western Sydney.

The zero-carbon fuel, which gives off only water vapour when burned, can be used for heating and cooking, and can replace most fossil fuels. A Jemena spokesman said a 10% hydrogen gas mix would make no noticeable difference for households.

AdvertisementHide
In the long term, the CSIRO believes hydrogen can boost Australia’s renewable sector, replace petrol in cars and be sold for export.

Australia’s chief scientist, Dr Alan Finkel, has identified hydrogen export as a $1.7bn opportunity for Australia by 2030. Daniel Roberts from the CSIRO said hydrogen had been viewed “for decades” as the key to creating a zero-carbon society.

Hydrogen can be produced by passing a current of electricity through water, which separates hydrogen molecules from oxygen molecules. If the electricity is sourced from renewables, the gas becomes a zero-carbon fuel.

To launch the trial, Jemena and Arena will build a $15m electrolysis plant – the largest of its kind in Australia – in western Sydney.

The first homes will start using the hydrogen mix by 2020, and at maximum capacity, Jemena will produce enough hydrogen to power 250 homes and a vehicle refuelling station.

A Jemena spokesman said embracing hydrogen would help Australia’s transition to renewables as the gas could store electricity much like a battery.

“Solar and wind are reliant on the wind blowing or the sun shining,” he said. “With hydrogen, we can store it in the gas pipelines the same way you would a battery, and draw upon it when we need it.”

Roberts said Australia was uniquely placed to become one of the world’s biggest hydrogen producers because of its reliable supplies of solar and wind.

In August the CSIRO announced a breakthrough in the way hydrogen could be stored and shipped. Researchers in Queensland have developed a membrane that can extract high purity hydrogen from liquid ammonia.

This meant it was now feasible and cost-effective to transport hydrogen, Roberts said.

Clean energy is cheap, surging – and headed for a fall
“One of the challenges with hydrogen is storing it and moving it around. By storing it as ammonia, it’s really easy to move around: it’s just liquid and we do it quite commonly.”

“We can now make hydrogen from the sun, turn it into ammonia, ship that around Australia or to Japan, and use it to fuel a car.”

According to a report prepared by the chief scientist’s office, countries such as Japan and South Korea are “hungry for hydrogen”. Japan’s government has set a target of 40,000 hydrogen cars on the road by 2020.

“When a big economy like Japan puts in strong long-term policies to import low-carbon energies, people listen,” Roberts said. “They don’t have much solar or wind resources, so they need to import that. It’s a real opportunity for us.”

The West Australian government has set up a renewable hydrogen council to drive the development of the export industry, particularly in the Pilbara.

“The Pilbara, with its abundance of sunlight, land and port infrastructure, will be front and centre to a renewable hydrogen future for WA,” the regional development minister, Alannah MacTiernan, told the West Australian.

“We are already seeing serious interest in renewable hydrogen in the Pilbara, with companies like Yara, Woodside and InterContinental progressing down this path.”

“We are already seeing serious interest in renewable hydrogen in the Pilbara, with companies like Yara, Woodside and InterContinental progressing down this path.”

One kilogram of hydrogen contains 2.4 times the energy of one kilogram of natural gas, the chief scientist’s report said, and the gas was already “routinely transported” in Europe and the US.

Even within the "What if it's cloudy?!? WHAT THEN!?!????!??!" Narrative, looks like coal is getting hosed.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

My man.

I wrote that episode.

Oh poo poo! That was dope, did you do anything for this tour?

Also, haha, I skimmed over this bit in that Gaurdian article the first time I read it:

He also blocked $1m of early career awards announced in November 2017 including a $330,000 grant for research into legal secularism in Australia and $336,000 for a project titled “Soviet cinema in Hollywood before the blacklist”.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

AbortRetryFail posted:

Even within the "What if it's cloudy?!? WHAT THEN!?!????!??!" Narrative, looks like coal is getting hosed.

Ah yeah so it's a bit like storing water at heights to use the energy later. That's neat

But is it in the national interest? This federal politician has a convincing, and secret, argument against

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Article should begin with "Disclaimer: there's no such thing as ghosts"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A spectre is haunting the real estate market...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AgentF posted:

Article should begin with "Disclaimer: there's no such thing as ghosts"

Turns out the Ghost was just Old Man Murdoch all along!

"And I woulda gotten away with it too if it wasn't for these drat fool communists"

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

bandaid.friend posted:

Ah yeah so it's a bit like storing water at heights to use the energy later. That's neat

But is it in the national interest? This federal politician has a convincing, and secret, argument against

Or you could just stack some concrete blocks

https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-concrete-blocks-is-a-surprisingly-efficient-way-to-store-energy/

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

drat greenies want to take us back to the stone age

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The article basically says lithium batteries are way cheaper than they expect to get.
Watch the concrete block thing go nowhere

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

He is hit and miss. If you want to give it another go there are some awesome stories, but there are also some boring as gently caress episodes. Try one of the less political shows (Ten Cent Beer Night is good as hell) or listen to The Fighting Irish vs The Klan.

The political or current event ones always suck, or are just too depressing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sydney property developer awarded home under squatting laws after renting it out for 20 years
By Lily Mayers

A Sydney property developer has won the ownership rights to a home in the inner west after finding it empty and renting it out for two decades.

Key points:
Bill Gertos found the property empty in 1998 and renovated it before renting it out
The registered owner's surviving family said it was abandoned after WWII
The judge ordered the family to pay Mr Gertos's legal costs after awarding him the house
The New South Wales Supreme Court awarded the home to Bill Gertos under "adverse possession", or squatting laws, despite a challenge from the relatives of the last listed owner.

Mr Gertos told the court he came across the Ashbury home in 1998 — which had sat empty since its last tenant died the same year — while visiting a client on the same street.

He said he found the house was open and "the rear door was off its hinges and placed to the side".

After changing the locks, he repaired and renovated the home and began renting it out.

Mr Gertos said he spent about $35,000 on repairing the house in 1998 and $108,000 in 2014 on further renovations.

Outside court, several real estate agents told the ABC the property would be worth an estimated $1.6 million.

When he applied to the Registrar-General to be named the owner of the land under the Real Property Act in 2017, Mr Gertos was challenged by the registered owner's family.

The daughter and two grandchildren of the registered owner, Henry Thompson Downie, who died in 1947, wanted to be recognised as the beneficial owners of the property.

Mr Downie's family claimed they had to leave the house some time after World War II because of a white ant infestation.

Supreme Court Justice Rowan Darke found Mr Gertos had sufficient evidence he invested money into fixing the home, paid taxes on it and leased it to rental tenants.

"I am comfortably satisfied that since about late 1998 Mr Gertos has been in factual possession of the land with the intention of possessing the land," Justice Darke said.

"In essence, Mr Gertos succeeded in taking and maintaining physical custody of the land, to the exclusion of all others, and he has assumed the position of a landlord."

Justice Darke said he had considered the plaintiff's submissions but was "unable to accept them" and ordered them to pay Mr Gertos's legal costs.

Neighbouring residents said they were unhappy about the decision and it was unfair to the relatives of the last owner.

One of the three plaintiffs, Graham Hugo, told the ABC his family was disappointed with the decision and would most likely set out to appeal against it.

In 2015, Mr Gertos was ordered to pay a quarter of a million dollars' worth of fines after illegally demolishing a heritage building in Sydney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

My man.

I wrote that episode.

Heeey!

• Locked thread