Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just don't do like I did when I flew Qatar business class to Kuwait and sleep too much, or you won't be able to fall asleep that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Headed to Kansas City for two days and OF COURSE the Nelson Atkins Museum is closed Monday and Tuesday. I fly out first thing Wednesday :rolleyes:

Any other cool things to check out in KC?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Kansas City Joe's BBQ is fantastic. Order for pickup, because the line for sitting can be hour+ easily

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Any advice for cramming in some EQDs on American to finish the year?

loving bullshit they don't count upgrade awards and whatnot towards EQD. I gave them the money.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FunOne posted:

Any advice for cramming in some EQDs on American to finish the year?

loving bullshit they don't count upgrade awards and whatnot towards EQD. I gave them the money.

There's really no way to get around the EQD requirement aside from buying revenue tickets, the exception being if you book discounted long-haul flights with a partner and use your AAdvantage number for the rewards. American translates raw mileage to EQD for their partners, so if you fly round trip to Hong Kong and back on Cathay, you'll end up getting far more EQD than if you booked a standard revenue ticket with American.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Anza Borrego posted:

Headed to Kansas City for two days and OF COURSE the Nelson Atkins Museum is closed Monday and Tuesday. I fly out first thing Wednesday :rolleyes:

Any other cool things to check out in KC?

negro leagues museum is v good if you like Base Ball and right next to Arthur Bryant's, also good

i prefer OK Joe's to Bryant's but lots of other people have other opinions

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

psydude posted:

There's really no way to get around the EQD requirement aside from buying revenue tickets, the exception being if you book discounted long-haul flights with a partner and use your AAdvantage number for the rewards. American translates raw mileage to EQD for their partners, so if you fly round trip to Hong Kong and back on Cathay, you'll end up getting far more EQD than if you booked a standard revenue ticket with American.

Partner dependent. This isn’t true for LATAM, I believe.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Reccomend me something to knock me the gently caress out on an overnight from miami to paris pls

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Waroduce posted:

Reccomend me something to knock me the gently caress out on an overnight from miami to paris pls

5 mg melatonin and 25 mg Benadryl

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wake up early the day you are supposed to leave, exercise, and melatonin

no more than 2 drinks on plane

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Waroduce posted:

Run and workout.

Or, tell your doctor you have severe flight anxiety and they’ll give you a Xanax.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Waroduce posted:

You too good for a bottle of wine?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I workout literally everyday so its not going to ~put me out~ alcohol is an option i guess or ill do the melatonin benadryl thing.

I just didnt wanna get hammered and wske up w a hang over

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mandalay posted:

What is it like for travel to be part of your 40 hour work week? That sounds like a dream.

It's pretty rad. I just got off the plane BCN-MIA-LAX and I slept most of the two segments. In premium economy on a 772 (both legs), window seat. Except now it's 11pm and now I'm wide awake.

It's pretty great. For me Monday and Friday my job duties are to just deal with the airport. Makes traveling less stressful than when I had to fly out for a meeting the same day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's $3800 to upgrade to business on the return trip. I'm screwed. Maybe I can just live in London now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The key to flying economy transoceanic is to stand around the bulk head door exit for a few hours.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

psydude posted:

The key to flying economy transoceanic is to stand around the bulk head door exit for a few hours.

Because it's cold or 'cause you want your obituary to say "sucked off the plane?"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Why not both op

Hard to beat 330$ round trip into Paris direct out of Mia. The flight back though sucks it's Madrid to Stockholm Stockholm Direct in Miami. 16 hours because the carrier no longer runs the return route so fuk me

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Your company won’t even pay for premium economy. A shameful company.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm stuck in small town Wisconsin for the evening for work and the only food in town is a Subway and a McDonald's, kill me now

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Quandary posted:

I'm stuck in small town Wisconsin for the evening for work and the only food in town is a Subway and a McDonald's, kill me now

If you’re in southwest / southern Wisconsin there are a couple of places that were featured on Diner Dives and Drive ins in that area. May not be open for dinner though so you’ll have to go to a bar / converted house for food.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Because it's cold or 'cause you want your obituary to say "sucked off the plane?"

:gary:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Most standing room on the plane when the flight attendant seat is up.

Doing another round the world trip in December: Spain to Korea to Japan. I'm going to have surpassed 200k EQMs by the time I'm done.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 30, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Quandary posted:

is this better or worse than staying in butt gently caress west virginia in a lovely hotel with an applebees attatched

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Residency Evil posted:

You too good for a bottle of wine?

Nah booze is terrible on long flights. Maybe you'll pass out for a bit but you'll wake up after a few hours and be miserable.

Waroduce posted:

is this better or worse than staying in butt gently caress west virginia in a lovely hotel with an applebees attatched

Jeez early this year I came this || close to being assigned to a client where the closest McDonald's was over 15 miles away let alone anything resembling civil society.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i stayed in a motel with an attached ihop one time that was p great thought tbh

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Ok, Kansas City Joe’s was pretty drat good - thanks y’all!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

I workout literally everyday so its not going to ~put me out~ alcohol is an option i guess or ill do the melatonin benadryl thing.

I just didnt wanna get hammered and wske up w a hang over

Edibles, yep. Pop a brownie before you go through security check and just sleep

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

caberham posted:

Edibles, yep. Pop a brownie before you go through security check and just sleep

Due to not realizing how long edibles can last, I found myself couch locked on a flight home. Highly recommend it with an upgrade. Comfy seat. Steady stream of juice. Dumb movies on my phone. Best flight I ever had.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Thomamelas posted:

Due to not realizing how long edibles can last, I found myself couch locked on a flight home. Highly recommend it with an upgrade. Comfy seat. Steady stream of juice. Dumb movies on my phone. Best flight I ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UA068kO8U

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Thomamelas posted:

It's pretty great. For me Monday and Friday my job duties are to just deal with the airport. Makes traveling less stressful than when I had to fly out for a meeting the same day.

I’m jealous. For our small business whenever I travel, work doesn’t magically go away. It just piles up.

I should probably hire somebody to help me with administration, but we don’t make enough money for that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quick, coach in Delta or Business on Norwegian?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Quick, coach in Delta or Business on Norwegian?

Norwegian business is a lot like domestic first class on the big 3 in the US. Maybe a tad nicer, even, depending on what your point of reference is.

If we're talking non-premium coach on Delta and it's a 6 hour+ flight you will be happier on Norwegian.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

norwegian is going to resoundingly gently caress you over if anything goes wrong with your flight

if you're ok with that risk i would go with them

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Never mind.

CFO posted:

We fly coach.

:fuckoff:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mandalay posted:

I’m jealous. For our small business whenever I travel, work doesn’t magically go away. It just piles up.

I should probably hire somebody to help me with administration, but we don’t make enough money for that.

If it makes you feel better my previous job would have 300+ emails a day*, with generally 3 hours of presentations, another hour of conference calls, and patiently trying to teach sales people and support stuff. I did hell work before this.

*Doesn't include automated poo poo I could ignore.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

Never mind.

:fuckoff:

I have much less of a problem with this if he and the other c-level executives do this (lol)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

I have much less of a problem with this if he and the other c-level executives do this (lol)

He does fly coach, but he's like 5'7". I'm 6'3". The CEO flies business.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
What do most people's companies allow as far as business class upgrades?

I don't travel for work at my current job, but at my first job business class was allowed for transatlantic/transpacific flights, so it always seems really grim to me when companies require, e.g. regular travel to Asia in coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Economy but if you ask for an upgrade to business on flights longer than 8 hours it’s almost always a yes.