Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

Did anyone buy the pullover hoodie? What's on the back?

I did. It says
REMOVE THE PAIN
PUSH IT BACK IN

It's also super warm and comfy lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not that this necessarily guarantees anything, but in a new interview with Variety, TR confirms that they intend to start working on new NIN soon.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-film-scores-nine-inch-nails-1203012287/

quote:

Once we get a significant amount of scoring things out of us right now, we know what the next Nine Inch Nails project is going to be. In six weeks we’re going to have a few weeks off. Maybe we could start on it there, or we may not, but it’s nice to be looking forward to that thing and subconsciously know that it’s coming up and you’re putting things in that bucket… 

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

vid of Starfuckers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOY2QpkK8M

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Not that this necessarily guarantees anything, but in a new interview with Variety, TR confirms that they intend to start working on new NIN soon.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-film-scores-nine-inch-nails-1203012287/
Hopefully I'll dig it more than Bad Witch!
gently caress yes, this sounds great. They should start incorporating this into the setlist more often.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

gently caress yes, this sounds great. They should start incorporating this into the setlist more often.

Good news, hot off the heels of playing Broken in its entirety for the first time, they will soon play Things Falling Apart in its entirety

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Good news, hot off the heels of playing Broken in its entirety for the first time, they will soon play Things Falling Apart in its entirety

never forget

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was it really that bad?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was it really that bad?

That was the golden age of Pitchfork snark/pretentiousness, coupled with the best possible time to hate on NIN... but yeah, not their finest hour. Has a few awesome tracks but the multiple remixes of Starfuckers really do not make it a rewarding listen. It's more of a Fragile bonus disc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean I read the review but aside from mentioning that they danced awkwardly to a NIN song at a high school dance, the reviewer really sames to just hate NIN in general.

quote:

Does this sound familiar?: a plodding, Neanderthal beat; a dated guitar; a violin; searing but sanitized fuzz. Then, everything stops so Trent can scream his first line: "I keep slipping away." After throwing in those same blips he's employed since the beginning of time, the song becomes predictably muddled and furious.
"The Great Collapse"-- the only new track here-- seems out of time, in a bad way. It combines the simplistic beat of the Pretty Hate Machine era with the tasteless piano atmospherics of his later work.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was it really that bad?

pitchfork notoriously hated Nine Inch Nails for a very long time

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, if you read the review, he explains the low score. It's still probably a bit overly low but he just thought the remixes weren't good, most were a noticeable regression from the sound of the Fragile, three remixes of Starfuckers is inexcusable and the cover of Metal was pretty ok. It's not like The Fragile review which was just utter self indulgent, barely seemed to even listen to the album bullshit.

Y'know, it took me years to determine if I hated that one writer because he hated stuff I liked or because he actually was an awful writer. I had a feeling it was the latter because his worshipful Radiohead reviews were already pretty embarrassing despite the fact I like Radiohead, but it took until he ripped apart St Anger did I know he was just a bad writer because even when it was such an easy target, he still sucked.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

pitchfork notoriously hated Nine Inch Nails for a very long time

I think they originally gave The Fragile a 2.0 or something. I think they went back a few years later and gave it a much more flattering review, but the only excuses I can think of for giving a record like that such an astoundingly low score are genuine hate or a desire to troll.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Jesus, St. Anger was a pile.

"Oh, you guys want old Metallica? Obviously that means the same crap we've been putting out but with lovely production!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I love St Anger because I used to be a huge Metallica fan and then the Napster thing happened and St Anger made the decision to stop listening to them way easier

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There was a lot of pretentiousness to go around, but one specific writer (the Radiohead guy) really gave Pitchfork their reputation. These days they're no worse than any other music publication, arguably maybe a bit better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

There was a lot of pretentiousness to go around, but one specific writer (the Radiohead guy) really gave Pitchfork their reputation. These days they're no worse than any other music publication, arguably maybe a bit better.

was it "Radiohead is god's gift to humanity you loving plebs" or "Radiohead is overproduced pompous drivel for people who want to seem smart when they talk about music?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used to read Pitchfork daily for years. I wouldn't always agree with their scores or anything, but following them gave me some good recommendations for music. I haven't been following them in a long time, though. Maybe since I started following The Needle Drop? I don't always agree with his scores either, though he often reviews stuff I listen to already/would be likely to enjoy and he's turned me on to a bunch of artists that I otherwise might not have known about.

Mostly I just like how broad his horizons are. He reviews a bunch of different genres, from pop to metal to punk to hip hop to electronic to weird experimental poo poo no one else is likely to cover. I guess he's now filling that niche that Pitchfork used to occupy for me.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 30, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

was it "Radiohead is god's gift to humanity you loving plebs" or "Radiohead is overproduced pompous drivel for people who want to seem smart when they talk about music?"

Oh.... Oh, we have such sights to show you...

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

It's more or less the most infamous album review of all time, and for good reason.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was the former. Like think of someone making fun of a Radiohead fan and you have some idea in how over the top his reviews of their albums were. As I said, I like the albums he reviewed....like a lot and I found his reviews embarrassing to read. It's the type of thing where it's hard to be hyperbolic about them because that's just how they were.

I did always find it cute that around the With Teeth era all the way to like The Slip it was clear Trent was trying to impress Pitchfork because deep down he really is just that type of music nerd.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

It's more or less the most infamous album review of all time, and for good reason.

Man, part of me still thought my memory was exaggerating but NOPE!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

:holymoley:

I want to go back in time and tell this guy that Amnesiac was better and watch the fireworks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was trying to show a friend one of my all-time favorite Pitchfork reviews the other day but the YouTube video's been taken down so it doesn't have the same effect:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/

(The video was of a monkey pissing on itself lmao)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Starfuckers owns

STAR

FUCKERS

IN-CORP-OR-AAAATED

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:holymoley:

I want to go back in time and tell this guy that Amnesiac was better and watch the fireworks

I kind of view them as a double album a la The Fragile as they were recorded at the same time. I really do think they're both great albums, but holy poo poo is that review ridiculous.

Also, I think the Metal cover is great because he throws in bits of other Numan songs as well so it's more like a Numan homage. The remixes aren't very good on TFA either. The Great Collapse is cool though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yes!

https://mobile.twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1057354715544084485

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Sir Lemming posted:

My friends and I used to make fun of that Kid A review in high school. gently caress i'm old.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Astrochicken posted:

My friends and I used to make fun of that Kid A review in high school. gently caress i'm old.
We're all old in the Nine Inch Nails thread my friend

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
"The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap."

Thanks for that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sir Lemming posted:

That was the golden age of Pitchfork snark/pretentiousness, coupled with the best possible time to hate on NIN... but yeah, not their finest hour. Has a few awesome tracks but the multiple remixes of Starfuckers really do not make it a rewarding listen. It's more of a Fragile bonus disc.
Honestly if you skip the first two Starfuckers remixes, TFA is pretty good. The third remix is mostly unrecognizable until the very end, and actually reminds me a bit of the noisier parts of Fixed. Give it a listen without tracks 4 & 6, and it's a solid if not particularly amazing supplemental album.

Live show goons: I haven't seen them since '09, are they still doing Ghosts Piggy, or have they reverted back to TDS Piggy?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"The human part of me wept"

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Live show goons: I haven't seen them since '09, are they still doing Ghosts Piggy, or have they reverted back to TDS Piggy?

TDS Piggy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

on occasion they'll break out the Nothing can stop me now remix

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I haven't been home to watch this yet but planning on it when I get home:

https://twitter.com/premierguitar/status/1060265449563344897

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntIDyFx2Co0

e: Wow, Robin's really not as...eloquent as Trent, haha. He's a hell of a guitar player, don't get me wrong, but he's not great at talking about his gear and what it means to him.

Alessandro, on the other hand, really sounds like he knows his poo poo.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 8, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The rig rundown isn't that what you wanted??

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.

Donovan Trip posted:

:perfect:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Donovan Trip posted:

:discourse:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Well since I am going to be in Las Vegas for work December 2nd - 11th I guess i'll go see them play at the Hard Rock December 1st.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/1063209342932013058

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiHcuQXKIjI

This performance of Subterraneans + God Break Down The Door with the sax is particularly haunting :ohdear:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2018

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This performance of Subterraneans + God Break Down The Door with the sax is particularly haunting :ohdear:

And the tambourine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Late to Pitchfork Chat but they gave The Boy With the Arab Strap a 0.6 or something ridiculous, gave In the Aeroplane Over the Sea a 7 and then went back later and "corrected" it, and for around 10+ years straight didn't give a single post rock or stoner psyche album higher than a 7 because they kept handing them to reviewers who didn't even like those genres.

And of course there's the cherry on top, the 0 review they gave to Andrew WK where the chief editor himself wrote the review and said things like "this is pure evil"