Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FeastForCows posted:

Any more examples of actors/actresses with names that sound more like a character rather than a real name, like Moon Bloodgood?

Dane Dehaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dick Wolf

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Apparently Anton Chigurh's look was inspired by a man in a photo in the book Boystown: La Zona De Tolerancia. Anybody happen to know where I can see that picture online?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

the_tasman_series posted:

Maybe ‘moral tale’ isn’t the exact right words. I was more thinking of a systematic/structured/not-too-subtle approach to theme. Parable seems like it fits. Allegory’s in the ballpark. Didactic seems related, but it does seem like didactic implies one-dimensionality.

Yeah, A Serious Man seems to fit even better than Fargo for the type of movie I’m talking about.

no country is absolutely their masterpiece film and also a parable imo

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Parachute posted:

no country is absolutely their masterpiece film and also a parable imo

I take umbrage with your use of the singular “masterpiece.”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw No Country long before I'd seen any other Coen brothers movies (in fact I think it inspired me to seek out other McCarthy novels rather than to watch other Coens movies) but having done so in the years since it's fantastic how well it fits in with their other work despite being an adaptation.

I suppose Joel and Ethan Coen are a bit like Cormac McCarthy with more of a sense of humour, though. :p

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know I am in a minority but I think O Brother, Where Art Thou? is their best work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard for me to pick a favourite because there's still a few I have not seen (mostly their comedies - haven't seen Huduscker Proxy, Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty, Serious Man, Hail Caesar or Suburbicon).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Raising Arizona will always have a special place in my heart, sure sure.

But Hudsucker Proxy is their best.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
A Serious Man is the best of that bunch, and one of their bests in general, but I also haven’t seen Intolerable Cruelty. I think they only produced Suburbicon though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Intolerable Cruelty is so fun, I love it, O Brother as well, I've seen it a couple dozen times

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Krispy Wafer posted:

But Hudsucker Proxy is their best.

I'm not sure it's their best, but it's definitely their most underappreciated.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll go to bat for Inside Llewyn Davis since nobody else seems to be, though I'll admit that A Serious Man is probably objectively their best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis either.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

See it. It's wonderful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I know it's kinda basic to say it but The Big Lebowski is loving incredible and I don't think any of their other films (many of them fantastic in their own right) match it from start to finish.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think Fargo tops The Big Lebowski by just the tiniest, eenciest sliver. But they're both basically perfect movies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think Fargo tops The Big Lebowski by just the tiniest, eenciest sliver. But they're both basically perfect movies.

1A and 1B, definitely.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My top 2 are A Serious Man and Burn After Reading, because while broad Coens and dramatic Coens are good, I'm a sucker for that really dry, funny Coen work.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm not sure it's their best, but it's definitely their most underappreciated.

That's the beauty of it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

That's the beauty of it

You know, for kids.

It also had the best cast by virtue of Paul Newman alone.

Looking forward to The Ballad of Buster Scruggs in a couple of weeks.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Y'all have a funny way of spelling Barton Fink

Edit: Basically there's a lot of really good Coen Brothers films

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Purple Monkey posted:

Y'all have a funny way of spelling Barton Fink

Edit: Basically there's a lot of really good Coen Brothers films

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect they might be pretty good at movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What would be the worst / least good one?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most people would say Ladykillers or Intolerable Cruelty. Hail Caesar! is the only one that did basically nothing for me (except for Would That It T'were and the dance number), but I probably owe it a rewatch

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The common consensus is usually The Ladykillers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Ladykillers, easy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ladykillers deffo, but even that has a lot of strengths going for it. Tom Hanks performance as bizarre throwback G.H. Dorr is great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
J.K. Simmons is worth a star and Tom Hanks is worth another star so that makes 2 out of 5 stars for Ladykillers.

I still remember being 9 or 10 and seeing Blood Simple and about making GBS threads my pants with the newspaper against the window scare. Also the knife through the hand was pretty gnarly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Ladykillers by a long way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, which Coen brothers movie other than Fargo would also be a good basis for a television series which could use the same setting and explore the same themes?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay, which Coen brothers movie other than Fargo would also be a good basis for a television series which could use the same setting and explore the same themes?

A Serious Man

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Ladykillers by a long way.

Still worth a watch. Wouldn't rewatch without someone else wanting to though and I guess for all the others I would so faint praise relatively speaking.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Blood Simple, or more bowling alley tales from Los Angeles

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I was something like 14, and my parents were going to let me see an R-rated movie in the theater for my birthday (my parents were/are strict Christian Conservatives, this was a big deal). Which movie did I pick? The Ladykillers. I don't actually remember anything too bad in it, but I was just so disappointed that I'd wasted a rare opportunity on such a mediocre film.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Klungar posted:

I was something like 14, and my parents were going to let me see an R-rated movie in the theater for my birthday (my parents were/are strict Christian Conservatives, this was a big deal). Which movie did I pick? The Ladykillers. I don't actually remember anything too bad in it, but I was just so disappointed that I'd wasted a rare opportunity on such a mediocre film.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Ladykillers was my first Coen brothers movie and I saw it in theaters with my dad as a 13-year old. Nowhere to go but up!

(Since then I've seen the whole catalogue and yeah, that one's easily the worst)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Klungar posted:

The Dawn of the Dead remake came out 2 weeks earlier, so depending how late in the run you saw Ladykillers it was probably still in theaters. Of course if your conservative Christian parents were watching it with you, they probably would have taken you out of the theater within the first 20 minutes.

The only other R rated films from that time period I recognise the names of are semi-indy flicks so you probably wouldn't have heard of them at 14 (Dogville and Ned Kelly). Oh Kill Bill 2 came out April 16th, but I wouldn't recommend watching that without seeing the first one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was working in a theater when Ladykillers was out and I remember a lot of old people going to see it and me not understanding why. Still don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was working in a theater when Ladykillers was out and I remember a lot of old people going to see it and me not understanding why. Still don't!

They probably had fond memories of the original.