Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Infuse is also pretty slick

I can vouch for this too. It's what I use (though I paid the :10bux: for it or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Watched an hour long show on Netflix.

Screentime says I was on Netflix for 15 minutes :psyduck:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's amazingly bad and buggy, OP. Like most new things Apple rolls out these days, I look forward to it maybe sorta working correctly by the fourth or fifth revision.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are your guys’ favorite source for iPhone wallpapers? I need something to match my yellow XR a e s t h e t i c

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My lightroom catalog, because all my pictures make me wish I was somewhere other than at work and I like the brief contentment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

What are your guys’ favorite source for iPhone wallpapers? I need something to match my yellow XR a e s t h e t i c

https://interfacelift.com

Weedle
May 31, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
god damnit weedle im at work bitch

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I really like my XR. The slightly thicker side bezels aren't at all something I pay attention to, especially after getting so much extra screen compared to my 7 Plus. Thicker body too, but not something I'd consider bad. Not caring about the notch as much as I expected. The colors are fantastic.

All in all a cool upgrade. Is AppleCare+ still a good value? I paid very little out of my own pocket for this phone, so i'm considering it. But on the other hand, the deductibles you still pay for screen/back repair aren't exactly cheap either. Is Square Trade any better?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In my experience SquareTrade is one of the better independent phone insurance options, but if you're considering insurance on an Apple device, AppleCare+ or nothing. The ability to walk into an Apple store, drop your phone off, come back 3 hours later, pay $30 and have your phone repaired all on the same day is second to none.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's amazingly bad and buggy, OP. Like most new things Apple rolls out these days, I look forward to it maybe sorta working correctly by the fourth or fifth revision.

I'll just run with this explanation, maybe 12.1 will magically fix it all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok I’m getting kinda mad at this dumb phone where exactly is the setting so that I don’t need to punch my iTunes password anytime I want to download a free app?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok I’m getting kinda mad at this dumb phone where exactly is the setting so that I don’t need to punch my iTunes password anytime I want to download a free app?

I don't think you can turn it off. You can make it use Touch ID though (and presumably Fare ID) that's under Settings -Touch ID and Passcode

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I'm still kind of surprised that Apple has done NOTHING with dynamic wallpapers besides giving them black backgrounds for the X/XS which look fabulous on the OLED. Did the XR get the LCD backgrounds or OLED ones?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dissss posted:

I don't think you can turn it off. You can make it use Touch ID though (and presumably Fare ID) that's under Settings -Touch ID and Passcode

RIght and that worked fine on my X but on this one I have faceID enabled for purchases but it will still ask for my password the first time what feels like every day. I’m not restarting or anything else. It’s not a big deal since I’m not downloading poo poo all the time but I recall just letting faceID do its thing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Do you have attention required on for FaceID, or off?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
You still have to punch in your passcode every few days on the iPhone and in iTunes, can’t disable it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People are weird about the notch, but it’s just storing basic interface stuff that would have been black bezel otherwise and forced that info down into the main real estate. I do wish I could customize what shows up there, but a notch isn’t depriving you of anything.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

rage-saq posted:

You still have to punch in your passcode every few days on the iPhone and in iTunes, can’t disable it.

Every few days yes but every day+ is an issue. It was happening to me when I had attention required turned off, which I think was FaceID somehow activating and failing in my pocket. I mean like every 30min-2hr I would pick up the phone and it'd be locked out of FaceID for no good reason and turning the attention requirement back on fixed that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

People are weird about the notch

https://mashable.com/article/google-pixel-3-notch/#wDyqrJIyaZqz

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The "MRI broke everyone's iPhones" poster on Reddit is back with a followup, and they did an experiment with an iPhone 8 in a plastic bag full of helium. Eventually it hard locks the phone.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No new air pods :(

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

kitten smoothie posted:

The "MRI broke everyone's iPhones" poster on Reddit is back with a followup, and they did an experiment with an iPhone 8 in a plastic bag full of helium. Eventually it hard locks the phone.

Still not buying this unless everyone in the vicinity also asphyxiated

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: IOS 12.1 just dropped! :siren:

Includes Group FaceTime, 70 more emoji, support for Dual SIMs, bug fixes and improvements.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Binary Badger posted:

70 more emoji
:hellyeah:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Went to do this update by ipsw as usual and was greeted by the restore screen after the "Extracting software" phase, followed by being stuck at the "waiting for iPhone" phase.

Have tried every solution I can find by googling--would not update. Now it's having the same problem during an attempted restore. Fun times :(

e: it might have been resurrected, randomly, by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable during the "waiting" phase. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

emdash posted:

Went to do this update by ipsw as usual and was greeted by the restore screen after the "Extracting software" phase, followed by being stuck at the "waiting for iPhone" phase.

Have tried every solution I can find by googling--would not update. Now it's having the same problem during an attempted restore. Fun times :(
Do a DFU restore through iTunes, if you aren't already.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5269891

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did they add a new Face ID spinny indicator on the lock screen? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it do this before.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did they add a new Face ID spinny indicator on the lock screen? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it do this before.

Weird I saw it do a spinny unlock one time and now it animates the standard way again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

buglord posted:

I really like my XR. The slightly thicker side bezels aren't at all something I pay attention to, especially after getting so much extra screen compared to my 7 Plus. Thicker body too, but not something I'd consider bad. Not caring about the notch as much as I expected. The colors are fantastic.

This is a lesson I've been learning recently. We upgraded to a 75 inch dolby vision TV and 4k Blu Ray. You wouldn't believe the difference of opinion we get.

Some people can see a native 4k transfer with dolby vision and say "oh that was good, but It was only a bit better than the blu ray" whereas other people are blown right out of their chair at the quality.

We've gone past the limits of quality for general viewing, and it's worth knowing what kind of person you are when determining what device to buy. Apple is just the first major player to REALLY understand that.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Am I crazy or did the 12.1 update completely remover the in-app purchases expandable info item from every single app listing in the app store? You know, the one that would show you what the IAPs are and actually cost.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Schpyder posted:

Am I crazy or did the 12.1 update completely remover the in-app purchases expandable info item from every single app listing in the app store? You know, the one that would show you what the IAPs are and actually cost.

No, people were noticing that last week.

It’s obviously driven by a if they try it and like it, they’re more likely to spend $60/yr as opposed to seeing the IAP is $60/yr and not trying it at all.

It’s lovely and kind of predatory and I hate it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yup, did some more looking and the change went live unannounced about 5 days ago.

https://www.tekrevue.com/ios-app-store-no-in-app-purchases/

The gently caress, Apple

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Taima posted:

We've gone past the limits of quality for general viewing, and it's worth knowing what kind of person you are when determining what device to buy. Apple is just the first major player to REALLY understand that.

Can you explain what you mean here?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

No, people were noticing that last week.

It’s obviously driven by a if they try it and like it, they’re more likely to spend $60/yr as opposed to seeing the IAP is $60/yr and not trying it at all.

It’s lovely and kind of predatory and I hate it.

drat that’s super lovely of them. Considering how many apps harvest your data in some way it means I simply will give a lot less apps a try not knowing what the iap situation is before buying it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Same.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rio posted:

drat that’s super lovely of them. Considering how many apps harvest your data in some way it means I simply will give a lot less apps a try not knowing what the iap situation is before buying it.

Yeah, I'll be impulse trying and buying a lot less now because of it. Unless, I see a solid recommendation or a good review from a reputable source I'm done downloading apps with IAP.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I can't remember the last time I ever installed a game on my phone. They all suck.

The App Store is the worst possible place to discover any kind of useful app too. The only apps I install now are ones that get suggested to me or another device requires it.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Three Olives posted:

I'm still kind of surprised that Apple has done NOTHING with dynamic wallpapers besides giving them black backgrounds for the X/XS which look fabulous on the OLED. Did the XR get the LCD backgrounds or OLED ones?

Force touch the lock screen and the planet swirls around and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Force touch the lock screen and the planet swirls around and stuff.

1) that's not a dynamic wallpaper

2) it's not a planet