Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sion posted:

God, Radiolab is loving infuriating. They'll do an interview with an expert where it's like:

"We asked-"
'John Doe, senior professor of bird physics'
"What they thought about animal flight and-"
'Well'
"He told us *jazz-synthwave begins to play*"

grassy gnoll posted:

You forgot "...but in its own way, it's kind of beautiful" used to describe everything from accountancy to pig farming horrors to cancer.
but in its own way, it's kind of beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Sir, this is the Wendy's drive thru.

Coolness Averted posted:

turn your monitor on

FMguru posted:

Don't sign your posts

I'm not surprised... just disappointed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zarick posted:

I'm not surprised... just disappointed.

:yossame:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sion posted:

God, Radiolab is loving infuriating. They'll do an interview with an expert where it's like:

"We asked-"
'Well'
Radiolab is by, and for, public radio producers. This is the kind of poo poo audio editors love.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Radiolab is by, and for, public radio producers. This is the kind of poo poo audio editors love.

Someone needs to cure audio editors of their unhealthy love of synth jazz, then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sion posted:

"We asked-"
'Well'

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1039841738775580672

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1052931181279436800

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

congrats

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Someone needs to cure audio editors of their unhealthy love of synth jazz, then.
:hai:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to be running a one-shot of the Spire, probably centered around saving another minister from starring in an aelfir Torture-Opera. The climax pretty much writes itself but I'm struggling about the lead up. I need a quick investigation phase to go before heading to the climax, but I'm not really sure how to set it up as an interesting scene since the game doesn't really have investigation mechanics. What's a good complication for the scene that can connect to the High Elf's interests?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/9rvzjd/favourite_house_rules/e8kfgax

quote:

If you must seduce an NPC, you must thusly seduce me. If you wish to engage in carnal desires, you must RP it. You'd think this would keep the tavern shenanigans down, but it seems to rather increase the frequency of them.

Not to bring grogs.txt back, but I couldn't not share the horror with y'all.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Deep down, everyone wants to seduce Doctah_Whoopass

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pictured that as the TF2 Spy, seems fitting.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Who would have thought that giving someone more screen time and even center stage wouldn't be the best way to discourage behaviour you don't like?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zlG762QwK0rWPS7HhRDe7EqMxCx1Z6YaxRzwG2uy5i8/edit?usp=drivesdk

I had this idea when hanging out with my friend today. This is a micro game that focuses on gender identity. The premise is that all of the characters can change their biological sex. But they can't control when. While they think they know what their sexual orientation and gender identity is, their true sexual orientation and gender identity are hidden and they suffer from dysphoria when their biological sex and gender identity does not match. They then try to do a simple everyday tasks that has three steps while hoping to not accrue so much social anxiety that they become Depressed. The game ends when either the task is complete or all characters are Depressed.

I'm still cooking some things but I think it's cool overall. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I dunno if I'm qualified to comment, but that sounds kinda neat to me.

Mind if I show it to a couple of non-goons? .

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

finally, my Ranma campaign is sorted

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

AlphaDog posted:

I dunno if I'm qualified to comment, but that sounds kinda neat to me.

Mind if I show it to a couple of non-goons? .

Sure, go right ahead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yapapa
Yapapa
Roll to save

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yapapa
Yapapa
Roll to save
Don't Make Me [Power Source: Primal] Like You

Covok
May 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Despite the name, this would actually be really terrible for a Ranma game. It's actually much more attempting to teach cis people how trans people feel. Which the comic really had nothing to do with, despite a lot of trans people liking the comic. Ranma 1/2 really more treated the situation like cross-dressing than any issue with gender identity. I suppose trans men could sympathize with how Ranma feels when he's in a girl's body and trans women enjoyed the escapism of someone just being able to change easily, but it's not like a comic was going for that so this is not a good emulation of the comic.

Still, I hope people enjoy the game and I hope it's educational.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a real thing or something that I am only remembering half-right, but I swear I ran across a blog somewhere and the author of it had converted the full spell list for wizards in D&D into 1st level spells and had them de-powered and scaling with caster level.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I've been trying to look for it all and its driving me nuts.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know if this is a real thing or something that I am only remembering half-right, but I swear I ran across a blog somewhere and the author of it had converted the full spell list for wizards in D&D into 1st level spells and had them de-powered and scaling with caster level.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I've been trying to look for it all and its driving me nuts.

Kinda sounds like Wonders and Wickedness, from the Necropraxis guy. This is aimed more at OSR-style systems, though, so if you were thinking of something a little more recent, ya got me.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

Sure, go right ahead.

Showed it to two trans friends, they both thought it was a cool concept and one said that it looked like it could be adapted or expanded to deal with other social-anxiety producing things.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Aniodia posted:

Kinda sounds like Wonders and Wickedness, from the Necropraxis guy. This is aimed more at OSR-style systems, though, so if you were thinking of something a little more recent, ya got me.

That does sound familiar - this dudes stuff seems a little more flowery and elaborate than I had remembered but it should help a lot with this thing I'm working on.

Thanks!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bob Quixote posted:

The spells from Knave sound a lot like this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/9rvzjd/favourite_house_rules/e8kfgax

Not to bring grogs.txt back, but I couldn't not share the horror with y'all.

It's what I did back in my teen years and hell, on retrospect me and my homies kissed a lot back then

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: sorry, that might be importing drama.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qlQHsdoYo

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

Today's entry hammers out how classes are categorized, touching on the origins in 4e D&D, and going on to explain how that took on a life of its own, in this game.

Since TNP borrows some ideas from 5e, "archetypes" became a big part of the designs, which led into class "categories", which has since tied into the leveling system -- in the form of category upgrades, as well as slate upgrades -- all of which is explained in this post.

With the direction that these designs should go coming into clearer focus, the end of the post touches on some ideas that I'll be looking to implement, going forward.

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Have just learned that they're doing a second Kickstarter for Invisible Sun.

Did anyone ever establish what the heck it was about, or anything other than that it's Cypher based yeuch and comes with a giant hand? I've seen it called "bad Jenna Moran fanfic" which honestly only made me more interested.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hyphz posted:

Did anyone ever establish what the heck it was about, or anything other than that it's Cypher based yeuch and comes with a giant hand? I've seen it called "bad Jenna Moran fanfic" which honestly only made me more interested.

I still intend to F&F the drat thing, but here's the short version:

* The game is about being wizards in a surreal alternate universe, the "Actuality," which is explicitly the real world of which our world ("the Shadow") is a pale imitation. If this sounds dumb, it's because it's dumb.
* Tons and tons of props and feelies. Some are reasonably okay ideas (having spells/magic items on cards players hold; a fake Tarot deck to dictate game state), some are gratuitous (elaborate playmat and resin hand to hold said Tarot cards), some are fine but didn't need to be in the box (generic eurogame cubes for stat pools).
* Actual game mechanics appear to be Cypher-based. A fair amount of GM-may-I, ala 3E D&D. Not great, probably exaggerated in badness by trap options in the various chargen setups.
* XP systems are probably the biggest Moran rip besides the tone. Weaksauce quest/story system and in-character emotion XP, kind of like Chuubo's as rewritten by someone who didn't get it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Anyone can download the free preview of the game from the MCG online store if you want to peek at it. The system is a White Wolf-y pool of d10s rather than the Cypher System from their prior games. It's a game where, for once, Monte realized he should just focus on wizards. And yeah, it's like a bad impression of Jen Moran/Neil Gaiman doing Mage: the Ascension.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nuns with Guns posted:

Anyone can download the free preview of the game from the MCG online store if you want to peek at it. The system is a White Wolf-y pool of d10s rather than the Cypher System from their prior games. It's a game where, for once, Monte realized he should just focus on wizards. And yeah, it's like a bad impression of Jen Moran/Neil Gaiman doing Mage: the Ascension.

Eh, I found some fansites and it's exactly as derpy as I thought it was.

Invisible Sun Wikia posted:

The suns are planes of existence—distinct vibrational frequencies of one place: the Actuality. They are, so to speak, eight (nine) different slices of the same pie. Each sun defines a “realm” upon which it shines. But a sun is far more than that.

Vague descriptions of critical concepts with open statements to avoid giving a clear definition, check.

Campaign Blog posted:

The block is home to Cafe/Bar, a cafe called Bar during the day, that transforms into a wine bar called Cafe at night. This does attract a different sort of folk who arrive drunk and drink to sober up.

Bloody stupid ideas "for the weird", check. Also trying to rip off Terry Pratchett but be serious about it.

Campaign Blog posted:

Everyone got a point or two of acumen (used in selecting new spells and skills) and most got a joy or despair token based on how their night went. Combined with the joy/despair from their neighborhood, most should be able to make a crux, which can be spent to buy the next forte ability.

Redefined term spam, check.

Campaign Blog posted:

Zero's is one of the points of interest of Satyrine. It's actually a demon that's taken the shape of a bar, never in the same place or the same style.

"Hey, where's the best place for us to arrange to meet up to discuss how to do good? How about in a bar that we know is actually an evil creature and that's almost impossible to find?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Zero's is definitely someone's pet idea and is powerfully dumb. It's particularly bad since the setting information is relatively brief, obviously intended to give you a framework and then get you to buy splatbooks, so there are a lot of these "a few pet ideas left to define whole planes of reality" bits.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

These suns/planes read like this is attempting to rip off Mage: the Awakening's watchtowers and Supernal realms, but without understanding what's compelling about Gnostic occultism.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Antivehicular posted:

* The game is about being wizards in a surreal alternate universe, the "Actuality," which is explicitly the real world of which our world ("the Shadow") is a pale imitation. If this sounds dumb, it's because it's dumb.

The biggest reason this is dumb is because book goes on about how you need to forget all you know and everything is different in The Actuality and it turns out the Actuality is full of telephone factories and doing work for money, but the telephones are full of ghost juice and the money is crunchy glass balls with a chewy filling of emotions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

* Actual game mechanics appear to be Cypher-based. A fair amount of GM-may-I, ala 3E D&D. Not great, probably exaggerated in badness by trap options in the various chargen setups.

Wow, I am incredibly shocked and surprised.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

The biggest reason this is dumb is because book goes on about how you need to forget all you know and everything is different in The Actuality and it turns out the Actuality is full of telephone factories and doing work for money, but the telephones are full of ghost juice and the money is crunchy glass balls with a chewy filling of emotions.

This is, of course, on top of the existing dumbness/tone-deafness of basically telling players to come up with a Shadow backstory and then ignore it. I realize they're trying to keep people from playing the whole campaign as fish-out-of-water shenanigans, but it's weird to go so far the other way, especially when the example PCs all have Shadow-based hooks that I'm not sure you're supposed to use. (My favorite of those is the edgelord bone-armored demon summoner/legion host, who was a burnt-out cabbie in Shadow and has a little tree air freshener as his memento. I'm not sure how you're intended to play that guy, but I'm pretty sure I'd be playing him as treating demons like particularly irritating customers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

For those of you who haven't read the free stuff, here's what you're missing and why you should stay the gently caress away.

Boiled down: "Making your character consists of filling in the blanks in this following sentence: "I am a BLANK BLANK of the Order of BLANK who BLANK."": pretty okay, in line with the rest of Cook's latest design fetishes but understandable.

Understandable quick reference summary: "Making your character consists of filling in the variables in the following sentence: "I am a FOUNDATION HEART of the Order of ORDER who FORTEs". You have set entry choices for everything but Forte, where each entry choice has a mechanical meaning except for your Forte which is a unique styling that encapsulates the way you do magic.": very White Wolf but the limited choices do help provide a solid framework of what a character should more or less fall into and provides solid mechanical information with room for creativity. Pretty good. Kinda reminds me of Mage.

Actual presentation: the technical info above except it's 25% of a handful of pages that explain "how the Testament of Suns, the six-fingered prop hand, is the means by which all Ordered Vislae can weave their manipulations of the world as empowered by the energies of Visla the Invisible Sun. Each finger correlates to a different part of a Vislae's spiritual makeup: the Tor, Da, Tu, Ka, La and Ver or the Order, Heart, Forte, Soul, Foundation and Arc. A Vislae is a LA DA of the Order of TOR who TU and the Ver is the means by which the Vislae will grow and evolve into something more powerful than any Nons from The Grey will ever recognize.

Of course, one could eschew the trappings of the Orders of Vance, Makers, Weavers or Goetics. Such Vislae are known as Apostates, swearing allegience to no order. In lieu of the Testament of Suns, their tool is the Vertula Kada, a double-ended five-segmented anal toy made out of glass or stone or crystal or worked metal. These Apostates have a completely separate creation means! Which is to say you create them normally except their Order is Apostate!

This may be disorienting to some of your Vislae at the table. This is understandable. In time they will comprehend the ways of the City of Glistening but for now theirs is a game of self discovery and understanding their true selves and the true power over Actuality they wield.": go gently caress yourself.

It's a 55 page document that takes snippets from all four books and from what I saw didn't actually have any explanation on how to play the game, just a basic look at the world, the magic and bragging about unique tarot cards with multiple different meanings maaaaaaaan.

also yes the vertula kada really is just an anal play toy. https://i.imgur.com/oIfBFfd.png