Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'd like to see you grab a Venipede if you have room. Scolipede is the best giant disappointed horse bug friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Same. Honestly, the intro section is really jarring compared to everything else we’ve seen so far... So I’m expecting the facade to crack again sometime soon.

I'm almost looking forward to that. Right now the whole Cult thing seems not only silly but really pointless. Aside from the Darkrai sacrifice and the Augur's big speech, you could easily replace every occurrence of the word 'Cult' with 'Team' and the only result would be that the plot up to this point would actually make more sense.

I really liked the design of that river Route (nicely thematic, a clear fast track in the middle, lots of optional side areas), but the forest Gym just looked obnoxious. Why even make the underground area dark when it's only straight corridors and T-intersections anyway? If you could see something, you could at least plan your path somewhat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Carpator Diei posted:

Why even make the underground area dark when it's only straight paths anyway? If you could see something, you could at least plan your path somewhat.

It's not, it's a legit maze.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

It's not, it's a legit maze.

Ah, okay. Although in that case, making it pitch dark is even worse.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

DoubleNegative posted:

The plot is pretty much on hold for the moment. After the gym battle in the next update, we get a small dose of it, and then it goes back into hibernation for like 4 routes. Then it hibernates for several more routes before it finally kicks into gear and starts moving in earnest.

So the reprieve continues for a while yet!

Just like actual Pokemon! Yay!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sorry, did that say Mega Bong?

Unfortunately. "Okay, they implied he's a pot head. Fine." then Mega Bong and I remember I just couldn't stop myself from wincing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

looked up delta pidgey. Shame it looks like it won't be of much use to us, I like the idea behind it.

I know everyone is focused on the mega bong, but seriously one question:
In what world is a big, stupid jellyfish forest themed?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FoolyCharged posted:

In what world is a big, stupid jellyfish forest themed?

coral forest

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sorry, did that say Mega Bong?

Psycho Knight posted:

Unfortunately. "Okay, they implied he's a pot head. Fine." then Mega Bong and I remember I just couldn't stop myself from wincing.
Personally I found it funny, although it helps that this whole Gym in particular seems to seems to be poking fun and not taking itself too seriously.

quote:

No really. gently caress right the gently caress off with that Arceus worship crap.
"He fainted for your misplays" is 100% a joke poking fun at Arceus worship, it's not a serious plot point like some a lot of other stupid fangames have done.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah Xavier has the types down but was too busy counterpicking to realize that Haunter is barely thematic and Tentacruel was just lost.
My strategy for the Mega Beedrill has always been.
1) Bring both Boldore and Graveler
2) Send them out against Beedrill.
3) Drill run doesn't OHKO because Sturdy.
4) Rock move for the win.
5) If first rockboy misses, send out second rockboy.
Of course this doesn't answer the rest of the gym.
This is why I said Artix still had a job to do. Sending him out after Xavier's shuckle is down to rapid spin the web away might have worked wonders.
Then again, so didn't having a flying type.
(You can rapid spin Sticky Web, right?)

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

ChrisBTY posted:

(You can rapid spin Sticky Web, right?)

Yeppers, and trapping moves too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saladin Rising posted:

Personally I found it funny, although it helps that this whole Gym in particular seems to seems to be poking fun and not taking itself too seriously.

"He fainted for your misplays" is 100% a joke poking fun at Arceus worship, it's not a serious plot point like some a lot of other stupid fangames have done.

Even as a joke it's cringey and terrible. Though at least it was only two lines and not a recurring plot point, Reborn.

Mega Bong is also a joke that's more cringeworthy than anything but...at least it could be a bit funny in the right state of mind. As in, if I was "mega evolved" too. Probably.

I can't see Mega Beedrill this early as good design. This is the second Gym, the player has nothing on the level of a Mega power-wise. And this is Normal, so I can't imagine how far it goes in Hard. You won, so it's clearly not an impossible objective, but it's a bit too much in my opinion. And dark mazes are always really not fun.

Get a Mega Pidgey though, I checked the designs for that line and I really like what they did with an incredibly boring mon that would be completely forgettable had it not come out in Gen 1.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

loving hell Nora. This is your fault and now we have to pick up the pieces.

of the town.

"Death threats, huh? Well good luck with that kid! I'm far too busy to call the relevant authorities! Or lend a hand! Also I'm going to ignore that you have a mew, or something!

Well bye!"

This game is great.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

megane posted:

I'd like to see you grab a Venipede if you have room. Scolipede is the best giant disappointed horse bug friend.

I’m seconding this. Scolopede is a loving powerhouse bug.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

value-brand cereal posted:

"Death threats, huh? Well good luck with that kid! I'm far too busy to call the relevant authorities! Or lend a hand! Also I'm going to ignore that you have a mew, or something!

Well bye!"

This game is great.

Yeah, I was going to say that the part about the dump comes three lines after the mention of a kidnapping. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
One doesn't simply "outspeed" a Mega Beedrill, with a 145 speed it leaves Dodrio in the dust. The only turn it's vulnerable to being outsped is the turn it transforms. That's why a fair number of competitive Mega Beedrill sets pack Protect to keep them from being one-shotted before they're up to speed.

Edit: It is a bit of a dick move to drop a Mega on a team that can't deploy one to counter.

Kemix posted:

I’m seconding this. Scolopede is a loving powerhouse bug.

Thirding, Scolopede is the best horse. Unova added so many good bugs.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I just like the idea that this guy just straight up put a Key Stone in a loving bong.

VVVVVV That one, thank you.

suddenly cats fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 31, 2018

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

suddenly cats posted:

I just like the idea that this guy just straight up put a Mega Stone in a loving bong.

Key stone. The mega stones are held by the Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlazeEmblem posted:

Key stone. The mega stones are held by the Pokemon.

Which doesn't mean Beedrill isn't carrying a bong itself with its Beedrillite inside it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really like how the Gym Leaders really can't be swept by just one or two pokemon (without over-leveling, anyways). The mainstream games have gotten better about it, admittedly, but more often than not it feels like you can take one a gym with just one point man. Two, if the leader has something specifically to counter your main pokemon. Here it feels like leaders have actually earned their position without being ball-bustingly (boob-bustingly?) difficult.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'm somewhat struck by how... cheery the paper the hostage letter's on is, considering. Most festive looking threat I've seen in a while.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

It's weird to have a forest themed team with a Ghost and have it not be Phantump/Trevenant. Of course the problem is that it isn't Bug or Poison, but if they're just gonna bring in Tentacruel I think we can bend things a little bit.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

PoptartsNinja posted:

One doesn't simply "outspeed" a Mega Beedrill, with a 145 speed it leaves Dodrio in the dust. The only turn it's vulnerable to being outsped is the turn it transforms. That's why a fair number of competitive Mega Beedrill sets pack Protect to keep them from being one-shotted before they're up to speed.

They changed that in Gen 7, so depending on if Insurgence is using those mechanics or not you just might not be able to outspeed it at all with a similarly leveled mon.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
More like Beedank.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Xavier hard mode or as it's probably more commonly called... "gently caress this!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I really like how no matter what he just ain't evolving that croagunk

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Is that a goddamn Gengar in there? That's rough.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

megane posted:

I was excited when I caught a Venipede in my Y Nuzlocke run, because I had never used a Scolipede before.

Then he got critical hit KO'd by a rando wild Pokemon while I was training him. :smith:

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really like how no matter what he just ain't evolving that croagunk

It evolves at 37, so... Uh.... Legality, I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But yeah Hard Mode is a mistake.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eeepies posted:

Is that a goddamn Gengar in there? That's rough.

With Focus Sash and Explosion, no less. Jesus.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I think the thing that bothers me more than the Mega Beedril (although that thing absolutely should not be a mega outside of hard mode) is that the non-bug half of the team doesn't fit the stated theme. Croagunk should be in a swamp or wetlands theme team, Tentacruel should be ocean, and while you could make a case for Haunter, it seems like it would make more sense for a city themed team. It's like they came up with an idea for doing dual typed gyms first, and tried to work backwards from there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DoubleNegative posted:

Xavier hard mode or as it's probably more commonly called... "gently caress this!"

This is the second Gym!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is the second Gym!

I mean, with a non-hosed level curve (though the level helper certainly eases that once you get there), I could see this in a hard mode sort of thing.

The issue, I think, is the presence of the Mega Beedrill on normal. Does it show up on Easy too?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, with a non-hosed level curve (though the level helper certainly eases that once you get there), I could see this in a hard mode sort of thing.

The issue, I think, is the presence of the Mega Beedrill on normal. Does it show up on Easy too?

This was said in a previous post I think, Beedrill in Easy has a Life Orb instead of a Mega Stone which...you know, is kind of painful too, but at least it isn't min-maxed Mega Beedrill.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I beat this gym on my second try, although in hindsight I probably got lucky. I recall my team at the time being Delta Charmeleon, Feraligatr, Nidorino, Delta Scyther, Heatmor and Onix. Onix set up Stealth Rock and killed Shuckle, while Heatmor oneshotted both Heracross and Croagunk with a Charcoal-boosted Flame Burst. Haunter killed Delta Charmander, but I managed to confuse it first and that gave Feraligatr the chance to kill it with Crunch - if he'd recovered from the confusion he'd probably have wiped me. Mega Beedrill honestly wasn't that much of a problem, I think Heatmor might even have oneshotted him as well - that anteater is tanky as hell. I don't remember how I beat Tentacruel, but I recall him giving me a lot of trouble. Toxic and Venoshock is a nasty combination.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Using entry hazards and having your own thing to rapid spin during regular gameplay is definitely a big help in this game, since almost every big fight past the first gym is six pokemon that aren't easy to sweep.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ha, mega bong. every so often I forget this is one of those "mature" games.

also making Explosion a TM was such a good idea.

also also I appreciate somebody trying to make tentacruel do something interesting in a game

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

DoubleNegative posted:

gently caress this, indeed. That looks like torture.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Smoke does calm bees down and give them the munchies. I suppose a mega bee's response to a possible fire is a little different, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Argent Cinereus posted:

I'm somewhat struck by how... cheery the paper the hostage letter's on is, considering. Most festive looking threat I've seen in a while.
I'm pretty sure it's because they're using the built-in mail backgrounds, and that's actually the least ridiculous option available. Although now I'm kind of wishing we got a rainbow hostage threat, or maybe a pink heart hostage threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I notice DoubleNegative isn't posting music links, so here's the gym leader theme. It's on Polsy, so no need to worry about accidental spoilers. I kind of like the theme, it's got a sort of creeping intensity to it that builds the tension nicely.