Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh poo poo! That was dope, did you do anything for this tour?

Nah, nothing this time round unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol the nationals have cleared the guy accused of inviting all the neo nazis into the party. Hmmmm

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

lol the nationals have cleared the guy accused of inviting all the neo nazis into the party. Hmmmm

The process works!

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

JBP posted:

Sydney property developer awarded home under squatting laws after renting it out for 20 yearsy.[/b]

Can't more Australian than stealing someone else's land

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If you can find an empty house, renovate it twice, and lease it to people for twenty years unchallenged, you can keep it imo. Even if you are a piece of poo poo property developer

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Yesterday:

ABC News posted:

Gun laws holding shooters back, champion rifleman says, amid call for Tasmania to allow semi-autos

Today:

Guardian Australia posted:

A man suspected of killing his mother and brother in separate family violence shootings was the head of the local sporting shooters branch.

The 58-year-old man is under police guard in hospital following the deaths of his 82-year-old mother in Red Cliffs near Mildura in Victoria and 63-year-old brother at Rufus in New South Wales on Tuesday.

In a statement posted on Facebook, the Sporting Shooters’ Association of Australia (SSAA) Victorian branch identified the alleged gunman as Paul Cohrs, the president of SSA Mildura.

Hmm yes, responsible gun owners.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

norp posted:

The article basically says lithium batteries are way cheaper than they expect to get.
Watch the concrete block thing go nowhere

It's citing lithium Iron currently between $280 and $350 per kWh, which is then bracketed by the potential maybes:

They expect by the 10th or so concrete lifting plant, it can bring costs down to about $150 per kWh. The cost of lithium-ion batteries, the current dominant battery technology, could fall to about $100 per kWh.

Lots of maybes. also, this is a prototype, I'm sure there are some innovators that can probably bring the price down. It's all basic physics, just like pumped hydro and the rest of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Hmm yes, responsible gun owners.

It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

https://twitter.com/PatsKarvelas/status/1057487646027644928

Malcolm's going on Q&A. Hopefully he just lights them all up and causes even more insane pants making GBS threads from the Coalition.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Odds on a leather jacket appearance?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dude McAwesome posted:

Malcolm's going on Q&A. Hopefully he just lights them all up and causes even more insane pants making GBS threads from the Coalition.

Oh yes, this is going to be the "Burn the Bridges" special :munch:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dude McAwesome posted:

:yeshaha:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Today in "words I never thought I'd say..."

Dude McAwesome posted:

Gonna have to watch Q&A

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MT: Sorry as I said I'm retired from politics.

*dons leather jacket and phones Tony Jones while staring into camera*

MT: I am not, however, retired from shitposting.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Surely ole MT is going to make Abbott's sniping and undermining look like the amateur act that it was.

Knorth posted:

Odds on a leather jacket appearance?

Leather jacket, leather pants, leather vest. He's gonna go full leather daddy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Sydney property developer awarded home under squatting laws after renting it out for 20 years
By Lily Mayers

A Sydney property developer has won the ownership rights to a home in the inner west after finding it empty and renting it out for two decades.

Key points:
Bill Gertos found the property empty in 1998 and renovated it before renting it out
The registered owner's surviving family said it was abandoned after WWII
The judge ordered the family to pay Mr Gertos's legal costs after awarding him the house
The New South Wales Supreme Court awarded the home to Bill Gertos under "adverse possession", or squatting laws, despite a challenge from the relatives of the last listed owner.

Mr Gertos told the court he came across the Ashbury home in 1998 — which had sat empty since its last tenant died the same year — while visiting a client on the same street.

He said he found the house was open and "the rear door was off its hinges and placed to the side".

After changing the locks, he repaired and renovated the home and began renting it out.

Mr Gertos said he spent about $35,000 on repairing the house in 1998 and $108,000 in 2014 on further renovations.

Outside court, several real estate agents told the ABC the property would be worth an estimated $1.6 million.

When he applied to the Registrar-General to be named the owner of the land under the Real Property Act in 2017, Mr Gertos was challenged by the registered owner's family.

The daughter and two grandchildren of the registered owner, Henry Thompson Downie, who died in 1947, wanted to be recognised as the beneficial owners of the property.

Mr Downie's family claimed they had to leave the house some time after World War II because of a white ant infestation.

Supreme Court Justice Rowan Darke found Mr Gertos had sufficient evidence he invested money into fixing the home, paid taxes on it and leased it to rental tenants.

"I am comfortably satisfied that since about late 1998 Mr Gertos has been in factual possession of the land with the intention of possessing the land," Justice Darke said.

"In essence, Mr Gertos succeeded in taking and maintaining physical custody of the land, to the exclusion of all others, and he has assumed the position of a landlord."

Justice Darke said he had considered the plaintiff's submissions but was "unable to accept them" and ordered them to pay Mr Gertos's legal costs.

Neighbouring residents said they were unhappy about the decision and it was unfair to the relatives of the last owner.

One of the three plaintiffs, Graham Hugo, told the ABC his family was disappointed with the decision and would most likely set out to appeal against it.

In 2015, Mr Gertos was ordered to pay a quarter of a million dollars' worth of fines after illegally demolishing a heritage building in Sydney.

Adverse possession not having some kind of reasonable belief or good faith requirement continues to be bizarre to me.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dude McAwesome posted:

Leather jacket, leather pants, leather vest. He's gonna go full leather daddy.

Leather jacket, jeans, white with light blue plaid shirt, no tie.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Adverse possession not having some kind of reasonable belief or good faith requirement continues to be bizarre to me.

The dude renovated it the year he found it. If the owners came back the next year, you can bet he wouldn't have handed it over without a fight.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
he should wear the tallest top hat he can find, and a suit made of money.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GoldStandardConure posted:

he should wear the tallest top hat he can find, and a suit made of money.

Tin can top head, as a nod to David Pope

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to watch Malc on Q&A but it’ll probably just disappoint me

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Tin can top head, as a nod to David Pope

Nah he needs to show off as much wealth as possible so the LNP know they won't be getting those donations any more

Platinum coated tin top hat

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Dude McAwesome posted:

Bowmoresavatar.jpg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Now that he's not donating to the Liberal party this year.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

All these fantasies are great but it's just going to be him saying he really wanted to solve worldwide climate change, you guys, but Tony Abbott physically restrained him in a way that doesn't make any sense within our political system.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I had a breakdown before I finished property law but I thought adverse possession required the owner being aware and not acting?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gogglebox but it's tony abbott watching the Malcolm Turnbull Q&A special

https://twitter.com/HarlowGavin/status/1054959057893765123

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

All these fantasies are great but it's just going to be him saying he really wanted to solve worldwide climate change, you guys, but Tony Abbott physically restrained him in a way that doesn't make any sense within our political system.

He's an arsehole lawyer he will drop at least two decent jibes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Former PM Turnbull on Thursday called a national bounty on Tony Abbott, Dead or Alive. To the sum of 2 million dollars.

"We will not play politics." Bill Shorten said while inspecting a spear gun.

"We will play the most dangerous game."

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm not sure why people using these properties and spaces appropriately should be obliged to go find the owner unless there was something clearly wrong (e.g. skeletal remains; "I will be back" written in blood on the wall).

Abandoned houses are a blight on neighbourhoods. Having laws on the books that redistribute property from people (or estates) that don't (and haven't) used it to those that do is a good disincentive for owners letting their buildings go vacant for extended periods.

I genuinely think we should be going further. These days we can tell by records and water usage which houses have been vacant for an extended period of time. Perhaps we should be forcing owners to either sell their properties on or let them out for living in.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

thatbastardken posted:

I had a breakdown before I finished property law but I thought adverse possession required the owner being aware and not acting?

Varies by state and it's been a few years since I did it but from memory in Vic they don't have to know. In fact, not bothering to check up on the land ever is a great way of demonstrating you're forfeiting your rights.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thatbastardken posted:

I’m reasonably sure it’s just that the possession has to be open

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

yeah lmao that after so long with malcolm turnbull so many of you dipshits are acting like he's gonna go maverick and come out as a green

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

froglet posted:

I'm not sure why people using these properties and spaces appropriately should be obliged to go find the owner unless there was something clearly wrong (e.g. skeletal remains; "I will be back" written in blood on the wall).

Abandoned houses are a blight on neighbourhoods. Having laws on the books that redistribute property from people (or estates) that don't (and haven't) used it to those that do is a good disincentive for owners letting their buildings go vacant for extended periods.

I genuinely think we should be going further. These days we can tell by records and water usage which houses have been vacant for an extended period of time. Perhaps we should be forcing owners to either sell their properties on or let them out for living in.

Extinguished title should default to the state not whoever snuck in and changed the locks imo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Are there any SA Greens people here who can tell me if there are any Greens candidates in the Onkaparinga council elections?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

BBJoey posted:

yeah lmao that after so long with malcolm turnbull so many of you dipshits are acting like he's gonna go maverick and come out as a green

Now that it's not being done by him cowardly trying to hold onto power all the things the lnp are doing are baaaaaaaaad you guys

The Peccadillo posted:

This seems contrary to what Morrison said about the magic of science starting with faith or whatever

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/31/academics-will-have-to-pass-national-interest-test-for-public-funding-coalition-says

The Morrison government says academics who want to apply for research council funding will now have to explain how their proposed projects will “advance the national interest.”
He said the government will be providing $3bn in grants over the next four years, and the national interest test would “improve the public’s confidence” in why those grants are awarded

“The value of specific projects may be obvious to the academics who recommend which projects should receive funding but it is not always obvious to a non-academic,” Tehan said.

“If you’re asking the Australian taxpayer to fund your research you should be able to articulate how that research will advance the national interest.

Talk aboutcher political correctness on campus, drat

They already have to do this. There are already so many hoops you have to jump through. Party of small government.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh also ARC lied to universities saying that projects that were recommended but vetoed were in fact graded low by ARC lol

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

The Peccadillo posted:

This seems contrary to what Morrison said about the magic of science starting with faith or whatever

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/31/academics-will-have-to-pass-national-interest-test-for-public-funding-coalition-says

The Morrison government says academics who want to apply for research council funding will now have to explain how their proposed projects will “advance the national interest.”
He said the government will be providing $3bn in grants over the next four years, and the national interest test would “improve the public’s confidence” in why those grants are awarded

“The value of specific projects may be obvious to the academics who recommend which projects should receive funding but it is not always obvious to a non-academic,” Tehan said.

“If you’re asking the Australian taxpayer to fund your research you should be able to articulate how that research will advance the national interest.

Talk aboutcher political correctness on campus, drat

As pointed out in the article, but really to emphasize the point, we already have to write a significant section of a 10 page grant to address "Benefit", and it is one of the criteria on which something like a Discovery Project is assessed. Benefit is absolutely taken to mean national interest; anyone who is writing their benefit section without describing how it's important to Australia (and "value for money" is also an assessment point, despite being a completely ludicrous thing to assess for fundamental research) is already doing it wrong.

Their big policy is to implement... something that is already there with one word changed.

Edit: Currently nervously awaiting the announcement of this year's funding. At least if I don't get it it will be because my peers don't like it, rather than an ignorant cretin like Buckingham.

Majestic fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 31, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Extinguished title should default to the state not whoever snuck in and changed the locks imo

Completely agree that the laws should go further!

Except people will have a poo poo fit at the idea maybe the good of society should be put before the good of the individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

If property ownership is based on who’s using it, how come the residents don’t get ownership instead of the fuckhead landlord?

• Locked thread