Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elderbean posted:

Can anyone who knows stuff about animation explain why the new episodes are so painful? It's ugly and awkward and the timing always feels off on the jokes.

Less effort all around. If you listen to the commentaries you'll hear a lot about how in the early days they'd all work crazy long hours, do multiple re-writes, etc, and spend a lot of time crafting each script to near perfection.
Plus, as was mentioned earlier, a lot of the early season writers and showrunners all came from comedy backgrounds. A lot of Ivy League grads, National Lampoon writers, etc, so I guess you had a lot of people who grew up with a different style of comedy, versus today's writers who grew up with Family Guy-esque humor.

And then Al Jean took over as showrunner as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
Did anyone mention that godawful episode with Elon Musk yet? Because it was bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The genius who uploaded that on imgur wrote a description saying that computer animation doesn't necessarily preclude squash and stretch and that it's a style choice. No poo poo, the modern animation style choice is sterility and lifelessness.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did

Holy poo poo, the way Marge just turns her head in the new intro is making me lose my poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

The genius who uploaded that on imgur wrote a description saying that computer animation doesn't necessarily preclude squash and stretch and that it's a style choice. No poo poo, the modern animation style choice is sterility and lifelessness.
True. You see a little of that when Maggie pops up and sinks down, but nothing compared to the original.

Almost as good is the 2 frame hand shake that would make a budget 70s anime/80s Filmation series proud. Euuugh.

Part of what I liked about the first few Seasons of the Simpsons was the Clasky-Ksupo weirdness where they were off model during scenes with movement.

This post movie style is exceedingly poo poo. South Park S1 had more emotiveness.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

that's the difference between spending a 400,000 an episode on hand drawn animation and spending 50k and letting a couple of guys in a random third world country to fake it with flash.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol the movement is so lifeless. Her head just snaps in place and she hardly looks worried.

There's so much character and movement in the original.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 31, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Plan Z posted:

The animation definitely has something to do with it, I feel. I definitely remember a point where sound didn't sync up right in episodes and it seemed like the fact that there were lots of extra mouth and teeth movements every time people talked had something to do with it. There are just tons of extra frames for basic mouth and body movements all animated in loving detail. It almost looks and sounds like the actors are all told to read in Lisa's reaaallly loooong styyylle of prooonounciaaatioons so that that the animators can have extra time to draw lip flaps, mouth movements, teeth, etc. Shows like Ren and Stimpy that have over-done animation tend to do that a lot too. It can be any kind of physical bit, too. If Homer drove a car into a room or something in the old episodes, it would be a few frames; he'd practically appear on-screen instantly and it probably looks really goofy frame-by-frame, but it worked for conveying impact and comedy timing. Now, it'll probably be a few seconds longer with lots of debris falling on top of the obvious 3d-modeled car before the scene would continue. It would lack the punch.

fatal oopsie was on something in that it feels like they're trying to write The Simpsons for the kind of people that genuinely love Big Bang Theory. Jokes are laboriously set up to be end-of-line zingers sometimes with tons of post-script trying to explain the joke like a lovely :words: webcomic. Like the old joke about Homer eating the soap is ended by kind of a quiet four-word post-script "Wait, maybe it does" from Marge, and it's actually kind of mumbly, which you don't see now. In new Simpsons, it'd be like

Marge: "HOOOOOMERRR (I'm not gonna write the whole thing out like that, but imagine they're talking in that long, laborious style) I can't believe you didn't graduate from high school. But it doesn't explain why you ate my soap. Wait, did you eat them because you dropped out of high school? Could that be the reason you do what you do?"
Homer "That and because they were delicious mmmm shea butter agrlgrlgrlgl.
Marge: "Well we need to have a talk about you finishing high school. I never knew- Homer are you eating my soaps right now?"
Homer: "ohhhh but they're so tasty." *Homer eats a soap* "Eww, Sandalwood. Lousy stupid- hey who invented soap anyway?"
Lisa: "Well the ancient Egyptians were the first recorded civilization to use soap, but the ancient Gauls were the first that we knew of to use balls of alkaline similar to what we know as bar soap."
Homer: "drat you Vercingetorix!"
Professor Frink is just bringing Vercingetorix in through a time machine in the living room and gets a dejected look on his face.

I remember on one of the commentaries them saying they had a process for speeding up the dialogue and animation after it was recorded to give it more punch, which is something they probably stopped doing as well.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Their idea of giving LEGO-man head Marge more life when she rotates around her neck is to make her head model tilt slightly back when she blinks

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It just struck me: Have they ever made an official novelty box of Simpsons chocolates based around the Who Shot Mr. Burns chocolate box scene?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

FilthyImp posted:

True. You see a little of that when Maggie pops up and sinks down, but nothing compared to the original.

Almost as good is the 2 frame hand shake that would make a budget 70s anime/80s Filmation series proud. Euuugh.

Part of what I liked about the first few Seasons of the Simpsons was the Clasky-Ksupo weirdness where they were off model during scenes with movement.

This post movie style is exceedingly poo poo. South Park S1 had more emotiveness.

That's always my issue with a lot of modern animation. I like when you can see that human error. Off model stuff wrong colors all that. It's all basic human error, it lets you know there are people working and I think that's what makes the animation stand out. So much new stuff is just bland and lifeless. It's hard to say if a person is even doing anything or they're just running that poo poo through a program.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
There's a lot of criticizing of the writers in later seasons but has any of them gone off to work on more beloved work? If I recall correctly, Simpsons is being used as a way to get writers early on on the cheap but at this point it's difficult to separate fact from fiction.

Essentially what I am getting at is, is it the writers or is it the show runner / director who is saying "no, this is the style and tone we want you to do. This is what works. This is what I like. Make your work fit this".

I'm genuinely curious now. Maybe there's a gold mine of great first drafts of terrible episodes locked away in an Indiana Jones style vault never to see the light of day.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I thought writing on the show was something you did to get your foot in the door so you can move on to something better nowadays.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Every time that comparison gif gets posted I think the same thing. Yes, the bottom one is abhorrent and there's no defending it, new Simpsons garbage etc. But classic Simpsons usually wasn't as vibrant as the top one either, because they sacked Klasky-Csupo early on over its animation being pushed too far for the tone of the show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

While that is true, you figure that they would have put some extra budget, time, and better quality animation to the intro when they redid it for the jump to HD.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Detective No. 27 posted:

While that is true, you figure that they would have put some extra budget, time, and better quality animation to the intro when they redid it for the jump to HD.

Probably but at this point its just about crapping out a bunch of episodes with no soul or heart in it as the show still makes stupid amounts of money despite basically being a husk of creativity at this point. But then when a shows basically stuck in time in terms of character ages and only tech moves on there's only so much you can do. Writers on the show are basically just cashing the cheques at this point and i kinda don't blame them its like an endless gravy train for a few of them.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

womb with a view posted:

Every time that comparison gif gets posted I think the same thing. Yes, the bottom one is abhorrent and there's no defending it, new Simpsons garbage etc. But classic Simpsons usually wasn't as vibrant as the top one either, because they sacked Klasky-Csupo early on over its animation being pushed too far for the tone of the show.

While it's true that after Simpsons season 1 they restrained the animation an increasing amount, I've mentioned before about how for most of the golden age the Simpsons actually has some really, really good animation that mostly goes unrecognised, I'm not really sure why but some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx6Lz0rzGX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrxPpjBASPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keA-Gykh5-8&t=51s

The amount of work that the animation is doing to sell these moments is enormous, just look at stuff like Homer bounding down the hall chasing the bee in the third video or the body language on Burns trying to come up with a story in the second video and imagine how that would be done in modern simpsons. It is more restrained than some earlier stuff like Marge's famous hair swirl but it's so great at adding visual verve to help communicate the jokes and characterization and keep the viewer engaged. In addition to that a lot of the framing and layout on some of the scenes is really clever and really helps sell the joke in ways that probably took a fair bit of thought, in Homer Goes to College again (god that episode is an animation powerhouse) the framing here when Homer laughs at the professor on his own after not laughing at his joke a second ago and the contrast with everyone else in the lecture hall is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDOkE66_Q4o

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

David Silverman is a very good animator. He'd personally do a lot of the more emotive Homer animations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ScolopaxMinor posted:

Holy poo poo, the way Marge just turns her head in the new intro is making me lose my poo poo.

It's the worst part

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

The gag of homer correcting Lisa’s grammar seems like it could’ve been kinda funny then it ruined it by having Lisa explain to the audience that homer was in fact correct

I could swear they've done that same exact joke in another episode also, right down to looking it up in the dictionary.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

khwarezm posted:

While it's true that after Simpsons season 1 they restrained the animation an increasing amount, I've mentioned before about how for most of the golden age the Simpsons actually has some really, really good animation that mostly goes unrecognised, I'm not really sure why but some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx6Lz0rzGX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrxPpjBASPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keA-Gykh5-8&t=51s

The amount of work that the animation is doing to sell these moments is enormous, just look at stuff like Homer bounding down the hall chasing the bee in the third video or the body language on Burns trying to come up with a story in the second video and imagine how that would be done in modern simpsons. It is more restrained than some earlier stuff like Marge's famous hair swirl but it's so great at adding visual verve to help communicate the jokes and characterization and keep the viewer engaged. In addition to that a lot of the framing and layout on some of the scenes is really clever and really helps sell the joke in ways that probably took a fair bit of thought, in Homer Goes to College again (god that episode is an animation powerhouse) the framing here when Homer laughs at the professor on his own after not laughing at his joke a second ago and the contrast with everyone else in the lecture hall is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDOkE66_Q4o

I agree with you, I think that comparisons being made between the new style and those scenes would be much more genuine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

khwarezm posted:

And of course there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BceHGzsDVLY

Of course it really didn't "go unrecognized" in any definition of that phrase, but in modern episodes this same scene would probably just be homer flying his car through a purple sky before accidentally hitting the space coyote with it or something.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Traditional animation is such an impressive feat when you think about it. It's sad that the industry keeps moving toward soulless and cheap poo poo.

This new trend of 3D animation being cell shaded to pass of as 2D animation is vomit inducing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually it wouldn't even be a space coyote. It would just be the straight up ghost of Johnny Cash voiced by an impersonator and upon meeting him Lisa appears in the hallucination just to exclaim "Wow! Famous outlaw country artist Johnny Cash!"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My now abandoned thread called Marge Quest had better animation than new simpsons

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mak0rz posted:

Of course it really didn't "go unrecognized" in any definition of that phrase, but in modern episodes this same scene would probably just be homer flying his car through a purple sky before accidentally hitting the space coyote with it or something.

Well, the space coyote episode is almost cheating since it's so over the top, but I sometimes see people derisively call even old Simpsons 'Illustrated radio' as if to say you can remove the visuals like in an old Hanna-Barbera or modern Fox produced cartoon and you don't lose much, and as you might imagine I absolutely disagree with that.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

pooch516 posted:

I could swear they've done that same exact joke in another episode also, right down to looking it up in the dictionary.

Futurama does it in The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. People keep saying something is ironic when it's simply cruel or unexpected to Bender's chagrin. In the final act the Robot Devil pulls the "her hand... in MARRIAGE!" trick and Bender is sitting in the audience with an open dictionary and confirms that using a word in a way outside its obvious intention is in fact, irony.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well y'see, nowadays they have to save their animation budget for each week's six-minute couch gag extravaganza

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Gotta pay the guest animators. Again, and again, and again.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Another thing is the color. While yeah recording back then as well as hand-animation gave the show kind of a "darker" look, the colors blended so much better. The Simpsons themselves weren't so yellow, and the house paint wasn't that vibrant of a pink color. This isn't the best example but:

You get the idea. Besides having the type of shading they teach you in third grade art class, colors are competing for space, when normally it would be a character or object that you want to draw attention to. Simple objects like the purple nightstand or the couch are the same tone and vibrancy of all other colors enough everything is competing for attention. Backgrounds in the old episodes tended to be simplistic-looking with darker colors so that they weren't competing with characters for screen dominance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The grotesqueness was part of the comedy early on. Like the fact that they had yellow skin and blue hair and giant overbites and sticky-out teeth and lived in a clown house was all supposed to be funny in and of itself. The Simpsons were ugly and lived in an ugly world that thought it was a lot more normal/pretty than it was.

There's something really schizophrenic about everything post-Golden-Age where once it doesn't have the comedy to carry it, you're wrestling with these goofy character designs trying to exist in a totally realistic and natural-feeling universe.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i really like seeing people who know about art talk about how simpsons animation has changed, because i don't know a god damned thing about art -- i only know that what i'm seeing now isn't as good as what i used to be seeing

also, the college professor bit made me literally lol at work. so much greatness once upon a time

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Kind of a long read but I think it's some interesting points on what people have mentioned in this thread:

https://antihumansite.wordpress.com/2018/02/09/i-watched-all-629-episodes-of-the-simpsons-in-a-month-heres-what-i-learned/

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For me this was one of the peak Simpsons animation segments. The weird angles when Homer is sucked into the portal, when Devil Ned points his finger and says “Hey Bart”. The movement of the donut pushing arm and how they alternate the movement speed of the chewing and shoving to make it more believable. Insanely good shadow work and color palette for the kitchen at night. So good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqkBG22Tk8

It also features some of the best jokes “This is always so much easier in Mexico” and “James Coco went mad in 15 minutes”. Again, no one probably knew who James Coco was when that aired except a few people and the writers room. Still, it made it in because it was funny to them. When I was a kid I had no idea who that was either but it didn’t matter because it would work with anyone at all basically, hell not knowing who James Coco was just made it funnier even. Who is James Coco? He must be someone similar to Homer. It works.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Data Graham posted:

The grotesqueness was part of the comedy early on. Like the fact that they had yellow skin and blue hair and giant overbites and sticky-out teeth and lived in a clown house was all supposed to be funny in and of itself. The Simpsons were ugly and lived in an ugly world that thought it was a lot more normal/pretty than it was.

There's something really schizophrenic about everything post-Golden-Age where once it doesn't have the comedy to carry it, you're wrestling with these goofy character designs trying to exist in a totally realistic and natural-feeling universe.

Yeah, and this seems like such a weird thing to complain about, but there are too many "handsome" people around. In the older episodes, even "attractive" characters like Mindy or even celebrities were drawn a bit grotesquely within the style. Celebrities now are all drawn much more like their real selves, with tons of more details than the rest of Springfield. On the other hand, Alec Baldwin, David Duchovny, The McCartneys all looked like they could have been part of the regular show. It's a weird niggling thing that always bugged me.

Some more bad stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1nmZq1KEHk

Modern Simpson openings suck for a lot of reasons, but one of the worst kinds are the ones can usually be summed up as "Alright, what's a thing/person/place/idea that's popular? Okay, now what are all of the things we can do as a parody for that thing. Let's make a list of those things, write jokes about them, then show them sequentially. I know old Simpsons would do these bits, but like even the car show from Mr. Plow broke up car jokes with an Adam West bit that was so funny that Family Guy turned it into an entire character.

Some bonus bad stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jdS8zFPFE

The show needs to retire. We've got people in their '60s and '70s voicing people half-to-a-tenth their age. Marge's voice actress sounds like she's in pain doing this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best gag in that scene is Satan-Flanders’ casual “oh hey Bart”.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Within the first minute Marge says "What a Noob." and I cringed so hard my rear end in a top hat turned inside out.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

pooch516 posted:

Kind of a long read but I think it's some interesting points on what people have mentioned in this thread:

https://antihumansite.wordpress.com/2018/02/09/i-watched-all-629-episodes-of-the-simpsons-in-a-month-heres-what-i-learned/

Only a fraction of the way through this and I already see several things I strongly disagree with. First, he states that the "golden age" is season 3 - 13, but anyone who was a fan during that time pretty much unanimously agrees that it's really only 3 through 8, 2 through 10 or 11 if you're being generous.

Then he states that in the good seasons the show didn't want you to care about the characters and that they were just gag vehicles and now they try hard to get you to care about them, and that's just extremely wrong and pretty much the opposite of what is true. Skimmed the rest of it. I dunno, it's certainly a strange take. I think the "Fall of the Simpsons" video, though it has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, sums it up far better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, and this seems like such a weird thing to complain about, but there are too many "handsome" people around. In the older episodes, even "attractive" characters like Mindy or even celebrities were drawn a bit grotesquely within the style. Celebrities now are all drawn much more like their real selves, with tons of more details than the rest of Springfield. On the other hand, Alec Baldwin, David Duchovny, The McCartneys all looked like they could have been part of the regular show. It's a weird niggling thing that always bugged me.