Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Did my first Giratina raid and gave up hope when I was down to my last ball and it was only a Great curveball. I start to walk away, and checked my phone to spin the gym once I'm back on the map view, but instead look just as the catch succeeds! Not as good as my first Mewtwo raid where I caught it on my first throw and thought "Oh, I guess they're easy to catch" but glad to have it out of the way nonetheless.

The raid went surprisingly well too. Game recommended my Metagrosses as the first three to attack, but I swapped the second two around for others, and was surprised to find the battle end with the first Metagross barely alive. I guess it's very tanky, and/or Giratina isn't as damaging as Mewtwo? Mewtwo always resulted in at least 4 dead Pokemon, even with a max raid team.

Also caught a nearly max CP Hariyama yesterday (my first), and was happy to see its IV was 88.9% instead of the usual >50% I get when catching a high CP evolved Pokemon.

Berry spawns also seem to be back to normal since Sunday evening. Prior to then, my Razz/Nanab/Pinap berry counts were sitting at mid to high 10's even after several days, but now I'm back to high 30's/low 40's. Potion/revive spawns also seem to have increased and stayed that way since the possible berry nerf, so now I'm swimming in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I'm 7/10 on Giratina catches, most of the latter ones ending with only like 8-10 balls because huge group of powergamers. Are you using the circle lock trick with low radius greats/excellents? Even with that, he really is a motherfucker to catch because 2% base catch rate is awful.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yukari posted:

the circle lock trick with low radius greats/excellents

I would like to know more

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I spent some time walking around the apartment complex because there was a Gastly on the radar and I still need a couple of them to evolve both my Haunters on Saturday. Son of a bitch kept popping on and off the radar seemingly at random. Didn't end up catching it because it's windy and cold out there and I wanted to go back inside. Is there some trick to actually tracking those things on the radar, or is the thing completely useless?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just to remind everyone: I give 0 fucks about when you open gifts, no need to warn me just open the things even you want. Get that xp and spit in Niantic's eye

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I would like to know more

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/7378d1/locking_target_trick_the_visual_manual/

This explains it better than I could. But the general principle is that you hold down the pokeball until it reaches the size you want to throw it at, then let go. When the pokemon attacks you, you rev up a curveball and throw it and after it's finished with the attack animation, the ball should hit the pokemon and the circle should be at the place where you let it go at in the beginning. IE you just need to aim for the same spot and the circle will be shrunk to the correct size.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Was there any confirmation if Gengar would be a level 4 raid and if it could be duo'd? Thinking of just driving around with my girlfriend to different places and using our psychic army to murder that thing.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
For everyone complaining about catching giratina (or anything, really). Why are you getting so few balls? Your odds aren't too great with 9ish balls, even if you're hitting Great, golden razz, with gold medals.

Raid with less people, and pick teams that do more damage. We got 18 balls the other day because it was just me and my two kids, we had gym control, best friends bonus, and we all did about the same damage. Even though I'm not the same team as the kids, I still got like 15 balls or something.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Beastyfella posted:

For everyone complaining about catching giratina (or anything, really). Why are you getting so few balls? Your odds aren't too great with 9ish balls, even if you're hitting Great, golden razz, with gold medals.

Raid with less people, and pick teams that do more damage. We got 18 balls the other day because it was just me and my two kids, we had gym control, best friends bonus, and we all did about the same damage. Even though I'm not the same team as the kids, I still got like 15 balls or something.

The only raids I ever have time to do are ones downtown in a major city where im either at work or walking to/from work. No coordinated groups, so they're often max size but when when they aren't I often arrive at the gym (on said walk) halfwy through the timer and have no way to flip the gym for extra balls. Plus with drift I often can't even get in a raid for 2+ minutes

I use an 4 dragon team+ shadow ball Mewtwo + ttar for this thing, it's just tough to get many throws when you don't have the luxury of spending a half hour coordinating before each fight

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Well that sucks. We still have some folks around here that are afraid to do smaller groups and run into the same issues. I'm glad that most of the L5 bosses are generally doable with a trio, especially whenever the rebalance comes back.

# of balls makes a huge difference past about 10-12. I'm 12/12 so far on catches since this one is so easy to hit.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Yukari posted:

I'm 7/10 on Giratina catches, most of the latter ones ending with only like 8-10 balls because huge group of powergamers. Are you using the circle lock trick with low radius greats/excellents? Even with that, he really is a motherfucker to catch because 2% base catch rate is awful.

Yes, I am using the circle lock trick. I learned about it recently, but I still haven't gotten the hang of throwing consistent Excellents - I tend to hit outside the color ring when I try to circle lock one.

Silver Falcon posted:

I spent some time walking around the apartment complex because there was a Gastly on the radar and I still need a couple of them to evolve both my Haunters on Saturday. Son of a bitch kept popping on and off the radar seemingly at random. Didn't end up catching it because it's windy and cold out there and I wanted to go back inside. Is there some trick to actually tracking those things on the radar, or is the thing completely useless?

Are you clicking on the Pokemon, then the footprints button so it shows on your map which stop to go to? You should be able to go into spinnable range next time and it should pop up. Just keep in mind sometimes if you're tracking, the game will tell you they 'fled', but that's almost always wrong. Every Pokemon this game has told me it has happened to were still there when I got to it, the ones that I remember being Vigoroth, Claydol, Dusknoir, Nidoqueen, Kirlia, Miltank, and Granbull.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Themata posted:

Yes, I am using the circle lock trick. I learned about it recently, but I still haven't gotten the hang of throwing consistent Excellents - I tend to hit outside the color ring when I try to circle lock one.

Are you clicking on the Pokemon, then the footprints button so it shows on your map which stop to go to? You should be able to go into spinnable range next time and it should pop up. Just keep in mind sometimes if you're tracking, the game will tell you they 'fled', but that's almost always wrong. Every Pokemon this game has told me it has happened to were still there when I got to it, the ones that I remember being Vigoroth, Claydol, Dusknoir, Nidoqueen, Kirlia, Miltank, and Granbull.

Nah this wasn't at a stop. It was just a case of "Find these Pokemon in the Wild," like it says when you're not near any stops. I've tracked things at stops before. That works fine. It just seems the "Nearby Pokemon" feature is completely useless if you're not near a stop, unless I'm missing something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Beastyfella posted:

For everyone complaining about catching giratina (or anything, really). Why are you getting so few balls?

of all the problems with how raids work you find a way to blame people for actually playing with each other

seriously, if there's a big group then there's a big group and there isn't always time or opportunity to do team color splits. The system should work in all situations, not just "only work most of the time if you optimize these 5 things."

the friend system is a huge step forward in alleviating some of the garbage but it's a band-aid, really. Limited chance, base 2% rate catching is not what I'd call fun and compelling gameplay even under the most optimal circumstances, and under less-than-optimal it's worse. I can understand why people don't like it, so really look at the system before just assuming people can do everything to optimize every raid. Sometimes they can't, and that's not their fault.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 30, 2018

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Silver Falcon posted:

Nah this wasn't at a stop. It was just a case of "Find these Pokemon in the Wild," like it says when you're not near any stops. I've tracked things at stops before. That works fine. It just seems the "Nearby Pokemon" feature is completely useless if you're not near a stop, unless I'm missing something.

Ah, sorry, I've only seen that feature once since I started playing, so it didn't even occur to me. I looked up an old article and saw this:

quote:

You can use sightings in a limited capacity, however: basically, you've got to keep an eye on the chart and walk in any given direction. If the Pokémon you're looking for drops off the chart, you walked the wrong way. That's really the only way to use it in any practical capacity.

Another one from March seems to confirm the same:

quote:

Whereas the old Nearby list would not update if a Pokemon de-spawned, the new Pokemon Go Sightings menu does. It will actively remove any Pokemon that you move too far away from (the scanning radius usually being about 200 meters), or that has its timer run out, making it uncatchable.

It sounds like that's what you were doing though, so maybe the feature is just useless, as you've said.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, I get to the raid, there's a group there and regardless of group size, we just go in. I wish I could have color split but it doesn't really work out that way, and I only started again like 3 weeks ago so I don't have any people who are high on friends lists to get balls from that. You kinda just make do with what you got, and if that means throwing all of 8-10 balls at giratina, then that's what you get.

The only complaint I've had so far about raiding is how they seemed to have nerfed the rate you get rare candies at them and that raid passes can get burned so fast if you go chain raiding.

Edit: Though, something really annoying happened at the Deoxys EX raid that I went to. There was a group of about 20 people total. I asked if we could split into two groups and the second group goes in 7 minutes later, because I gifted my pass to my brother's account and I don't actually have two separate devices that can run pogo at the same time. Literally everyone wanted to just pile in when the raid started and there was nobody else who had the EX pass after the first raid.

Yukari fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 30, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I had a snow castform run away today right before I got to the stop.

Not sure when another one will be seen in sunny SoCal.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Themata posted:

Ah, sorry, I've only seen that feature once since I started playing, so it didn't even occur to me. I looked up an old article and saw this:

Another one from March seems to confirm the same:

It sounds like that's what you were doing though, so maybe the feature is just useless, as you've said.

Yep, that's what I was doing. It seemed no matter what direction I walked in, the thing would vanish. Annoying.

It's moot at this point because I nabbed a couple more of 'em, so now I have enough candy to evolve two Haunters on Saturday. I am ready! They will go nicely with my two Meteor Mash Metagross. I'm getting a fair collection of good attackers now!

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006
A friend of a friend of mine is still trying to complete the "add 3 friends" research task. His number is 967977876089 if someone can help him out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Got a perfect, non-shiny Spinx today. I immediately evolved it, so I fully expect to get a shiny soon since I am down to only 26 candies.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have still yet to see a Shinx raid. The Halloween 1* stuff keeps popping up instead, like I've seen 20 Duskull raids, often right next to each other.

It's also been months since I last got a 10km egg. Once I hatched all the regional 7km ones (that didn't have the only regional I was missing), I've got 9 5kms again like always.

This game has some underlying issues that could really be changed.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Silver Falcon posted:

It seemed no matter what direction I walked in, the thing would vanish. Annoying.

Can confirm, and the reverse is also possible where it won't vanish. At launch when they were hella rare, a friend and I crossed a two mile bridge into a completely different town trying to find a Weezing. It never appeared on screen and didn't drop from radar until we were literally in the next county. We slowly drove both directions on the bridge and grid searched like a 4-block radius on either side. In the rare cases where it did disappear and reappear it was wildly inconsistent. We're huge dorks so we even tried mapping it out on sketch paper to find the pattern, but we there was no rhyme or reason to it at all and we just ended up wandering fruitlessly until it despawned. I don't think either of us has hosed with radar since.

What I'm trying to say is that radar sucks rear end and there's a reason everyone hated it until the stop system was added. I tried to defend it for a long time because it's a super cool idea, but holy poo poo does it not work. :argh:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
The nearby radar used to have distance indicators, but people said Niantic dropped it because it's too much strain on the game and your phone.

It would be nice if that last big update with news about the game using websockets could be for a return of better radar by reducing said strain. Chances are low but who knows what Niantic has in their pipeline.

Crosspeice posted:

It's also been months since I last got a 10km egg. Once I hatched all the regional 7km ones (that didn't have the only regional I was missing), I've got 9 5kms again like always.

They really should just let us delete eggs, but that's impossible since otherwise people would just delete them until they get 10km eggs only, and they also do want you to get frustrated enough to spend money on buying more incubators to get rid of eggs. I wish they would compromise and let us delete Alolan eggs at least, because sometimes I'm trying to work on opening presents for friendship but they fill the space whether I want to or not unless I drop everything I'm doing and go spin stops until I get normal eggs before resuming on presents. And it's not like we can game Alolan eggs anyway because they're always 7km, and super easy to get more no matter where you are.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Took down a Snorunt today using the exclusive and powerful MOVE_NAME_0301

The star rain attack animation didn't play either, so not sure what happened here.

Willsun posted:

They really should just let us delete eggs, but that's impossible since otherwise people would just delete them until they get 10km eggs only, and they also do want you to get frustrated enough to spend money on buying more incubators to get rid of eggs. I wish they would compromise and let us delete Alolan eggs at least, because sometimes I'm trying to work on opening presents for friendship but they fill the space whether I want to or not unless I drop everything I'm doing and go spin stops until I get normal eggs before resuming on presents. And it's not like we can game Alolan eggs anyway because they're always 7km, and super easy to get more no matter where you are.

They could make it so like transferring, you choose eggs to put up for Pokedoption, but you have a cooldown period based on egg type before it disappears from your inventory. Spamming for 10 kg eggs would be harder, you wouldn't be able to get new eggs for a bit, but you also would save incubators. Later, once you've walked the total km that would've hatched said egg, the Pokemon from that egg comes back to taunt you for being a bad Pokeparent if it was a shiny, 100% IV, or new Pokemon, before leaving again.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I'm at 6/7 giratina. It's definitely tough to catch, but starting with 15 balls and knowing how to circle lock both help a lot.

Anyway, I did one raid today. Pretty easy to beat giratina, and I got this:

15 rare candy, sweet! Then this:

My first 100% legendary! It was a good day.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I missed catching deoxys today.

My wife caught it tho so whatever

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

Psion posted:

of all the problems with how raids work you find a way to blame people for actually playing with each other

seriously, if there's a big group then there's a big group and there isn't always time or opportunity to do team color splits. The system should work in all situations, not just "only work most of the time if you optimize these 5 things."

the friend system is a huge step forward in alleviating some of the garbage but it's a band-aid, really. Limited chance, base 2% rate catching is not what I'd call fun and compelling gameplay even under the most optimal circumstances, and under less-than-optimal it's worse. I can understand why people don't like it, so really look at the system before just assuming people can do everything to optimize every raid. Sometimes they can't, and that's not their fault.

It takes like 2 seconds to go "ok we have 15 people, break into 3 groups". Thata not even taking things like team into account. If you play with people regularly, most people have a rough idea of whether their teams are great, ok, or bad.

Or don't, and then complain on the internet about not catching things because of statistics.

If you're stuck with random public groups all the time, however, yes that sucks that there's no coordination. Look for a local discord, I guess. At least you have random raids that a ton of people show up to. We coordinate out of necessity as our gyms are spread out enough that there will never be anyone around otherwise.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Extra luck for me tonight! Caught a shiny witch hat Pikachu, and my latest 10k egg hatched a Riolu! :hellyeah:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It feels to me like distance trades for the same pokemon have a higher chance of being lucky. I have made 6 in the last week and 5 turned out lucky.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Themata posted:

They could make it so like transferring, you choose eggs to put up for Pokedoption, but you have a cooldown period based on egg type before it disappears from your inventory. Spamming for 10 kg eggs would be harder, you wouldn't be able to get new eggs for a bit, but you also would save incubators. Later, once you've walked the total km that would've hatched said egg, the Pokemon from that egg comes back to taunt you for being a bad Pokeparent if it was a shiny, 100% IV, or new Pokemon, before leaving again.

That idea, if I read it correctly, is just going to piss people off. I think the main thing people want to avoid is having to walk these somewhat long distances of 5km and 7km. If they have to walk that distance anyway, might as well take what it gives you? Most people would have stuck them in the orange perma-incubator anyway. Also the idea of saving us, the players, from using up an incubator is exactly what they don't want when they want you to purchase more incubators.

Alolan eggs are just nuisances now that most people have gotten all the Alolan Pokemon that could come from them, and it's not like the rare ones like Alolan Vulpix is even useful if you get one. It just really sucks that they're the second longest distance to walk and there's no easy way to remind you that you have open egg slots before opening presents. Like, even give us a warning message before opening presents would help immensely if I have open egg slots. Even better would be if they can let us choose "This present contains an Alolan egg. Do you wish to accept?" and dump the egg if we say no.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

Willsun posted:

That idea, if I read it correctly, is just going to piss people off. I think the main thing people want to avoid is having to walk these somewhat long distances of 5km and 7km. If they have to walk that distance anyway, might as well take what it gives you? Most people would have stuck them in the orange perma-incubator anyway. Also the idea of saving us, the players, from using up an incubator is exactly what they don't want when they want you to purchase more incubators.

To clarify, the idea was having egg removal be time-based, so after x amount of hours, the egg vanishes from the inventory (so you could mark it for removal, then check back after work or something, and it's gone and you've saved an incubator). I'd rather have the egg go away immediately of course, but I was throwing out a suggestion I thought Niantic would be more likely to implement over immediate. The distance walking part was a joke, where the egg is already gone from your inventory, but you get made fun of for releasing something that you would've otherwise kept if you knew it was going to turn out shiny/100% IV/new (I would not actually mind if they added that to the game though :v:). Sorry if it wasn't very clear. :shobon:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
they're not going to do any of that because they know people will just buy incubators to clear out their inventory for every special event that has eggs

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

It's all good. But seriously, if they added in something to troll the player for something good they can't get anymore, people will riot. Nintendo products are always keen on preventing taunting and upsetting kids even if it's the adults that'll be the most angry.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is Giratina actually worth catching a few to make up a team? I caught one on my 2nd raid, then went straight back to using my daily passes on Shinx to try for a shiny.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nope, it's got meh stats and an atrocious movepool. it is outclassed as a dragon-type attacker by pretty much every other dragon except like, altaria, and shadow sneak as its ghost-type charge move is like niantic playing a prank on the players, it's got something like only half the dps as shadow ball lmao.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I nabbed a handful and then started ignoring level 5 raids

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Aside from one whole dragonite I've got no dragon attackers, let alone really any dragon types.

Giratina may not be "good" but for me it looks cool and fills a huge gap in my teams even even I have neutral pokes that are way better.

I sure hope origin form comes soon so I can get tons already.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The problem is that Giratina is not worth leveling up, and is totally useless unless you do so. But if you're a new or casual player without a good stable of Mons, it's actually even more important that you not waste your precious Stardust on a weak Legendary with scarce Candy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you like giratina go for it who cares.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FistEnergy posted:

The problem is that Giratina is not worth leveling up, and is totally useless unless you do so. But if you're a new or casual player without a good stable of Mons, it's actually even more important that you not waste your precious Stardust on a weak Legendary with scarce Candy.

yep. and this is even more true with palkia on its way in the not too distant future, which easily outclasses giratina in every possible way.

Mustached Demon posted:

If you like giratina go for it who cares.

i mean if you're someone who already has good dragon-type attackers and can afford to throw stardust at a sub-par pokemon, sure. if you're someone who doesn't have good dragon-types already and/or you don't have a large stardust reserve, it is totally not worth powering up giratina, at all. save the stardust for palkia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

who cares about giratina, instead look at what I just caught:

it's so SHINY!

Only registered members can see post attachments!