Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fuzz posted:

That's literally the entire Witcher universe. What do you think being a serf was?

I did not know the people in Velen were serfs, is this said anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think all of them are, but it was my impression that villages around Crow's Perch were mostly owned by that noble that was displaced by Bloody Baron.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
White Orchard, the original Temerian baron had rights of prima nocta.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Killing kings is a good thing, period. Letho is rad.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Even Esterad Thyssen? :ohdear:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

All of the Kings suck so no arguments on that part, but Queens are rad though. Ciri + Meve + Cerys power trio ruling the world is the one true worldstate. :colbert:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Killing kings is a good thing, period. Letho is rad.

The real vilain of 2 is Roche for pinning it on Geralt and using it to blackmail him.

Roche is still cool mind, but for above, I could never not take the Ivoreth path.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The funny part about fighting those guards in the Cerys quest is that even if you fight them with fists (despite the game insising on reequipping Geralt's sword) - they're still listed as killed in the end.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Nephthys posted:

All of the Kings suck so no arguments on that part, but Queens are rad though. Ciri + Meve + Cerys power trio ruling the world is the one true worldstate. :colbert:

Women/Dragon heads of peasant republics are cooler though :colbert: .

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
whoreson juniors this oval office who's been attacking me with literal clowns in the streets???

aww he's fuckin dead, and I ain't even met him yet

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

White Orchard, the original Temerian baron had rights of prima nocta.

Yes, that was a thing that annoyed me (trust video game makers to put dubious medievality in their games if it's misogynist), but it's not evidence of serfdom. Such evidence there is of it happening comes from all sorts of different social structures.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hobo Clown posted:

It's nice that sparing him leaves him to be destitute and miserable but Geralt doesn't know that at the time of his decision. You gonna show mercy to this guy who's decorated the room you're in with his victims?

Not to mention the dude tried to kill Ciri. That alone would make Geralt end him.
In 400 hours of game time that's one decision I've never changed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Not having read the books but W3 is pretty explicit that Nilfgaard is Fantasy Nazi Germany (in a weird way in that as a political entity it's not a direct translation but certain things (Army Group Center) are so direct that there's no other plausible linkage).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That interpretation gets murky in that nilfgaard seems to be the ones treating non humans equally (elves have their own state under them afaik), and its the northerners who treat them like poo poo, shove them into getos, with the occasional pogrom to boot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Each of the Witcher lands is an amalgam of a few different historical periods of specific parts of Europe and your interpretation will vary depending on your history knowledge and what you focus on.

So while Nilfgaard has some Nazi Germany elements it also has a lot of Prussia and Austro-Hungarian Empire in it but also a fair share of the Holy Roman Empire. It's roughly fantasy Germania with bits taken from various places to create a certain vision with a consistent flavor to it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nilfgaard is more akin to Roman Empire based on books. The various lands that are under their control aren't forcibly assimilated, the racism is frowned upon and pogroms met with swift and deadly response.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pay your taxes, levy troops when the Empire knocks, and don't start poo poo you aren't ready to back up by force because we will end you.
Kind of like a real Empire rather than a monolithic entity they're usually depicted as in Fantasy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Avalerion posted:

That interpretation gets murky in that nilfgaard seems to be the ones treating non humans equally (elves have their own state under them afaik), and its the northerners who treat them like poo poo, shove them into getos, with the occasional pogrom to boot.

I mean a bit murky, but not overly. The Nazis were happy to 'liberate' countries like Ukraine and Lithuania and have Slavic fascists like Bandera fight for them while also still planning for the extermination of all Slavs. In the Witcher universe, Dol Blathanna is recognised by the Scoia'tael as simply a way for Nilfgaard to pacify the elves. They even managed to get Francisca Findabair to denounce the Scoia'tael and have those who fought for Nilfgaard executed. Huge win for the North and Nilfgaard.

alex314 posted:

Nilfgaard is more akin to Roman Empire based on books. The various lands that are under their control aren't forcibly assimilated, the racism is frowned upon and pogroms met with swift and deadly response.

Definitely not their presentation in Thronebreaker. Definitely suggests a Generalplan Ost motive for Nilfgaard.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 31, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What about touisant, then? For being conquered nilfgaard seems content enough to let them do their own thing as long as they pay lip service and the coins & wine keep flowing.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
e: I don't think Touissant was conquered, though? IIRC they ended up a Nilfgaardian vassal peacefully.

Avalerion posted:

Afaik they practice the indentured servants type of slavery.

At least in the games it's more than that, Blueboy Lugos brags about selling captives in... Nazair, I think? It's seems like it's either Roman-style slavery or full American-style chattel slavery. I don't remember how Nilfgaardian slavery is presented in the books.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Might be because Toussaint's not a Northern Realm? Don't know.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Touissant is one of 3 vassal kingdoms. For me it always were more familiar to the way Romans did business than anything 3rd Reich. Another point: Nilfgaardians are only descendants of people living within the initial kingdom, and other people like Cahir hate being called that. I don't think if there's any info in the books about whether certain positions of leadership are reserved only for OG Nilfs or not.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Anarietta is Emhyr's (distant, I think) cousin, right? I think I assumed Touissant ended up a Nilf vassal through marriage at some point because of that. Explains some of the autonomy regardless, I suppose.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Nilfgaard is portrayed pretty consistently between all the games and books. The difference is between whose eyes you're viewing it from, and whose narrating the story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean I get there are a load of elements thrown into the mix, but when one of those elements is explicitly Nazi Germany I don't think there's any way to disentangle that from 'these are the bad guys'.

Is the Wild Hunt/White Frost Russia?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alchenar posted:

I mean I get there are a load of elements thrown into the mix, but when one of those elements is explicitly Nazi Germany I don't think there's any way to disentangle that from 'these are the bad guys'.

The wild hunt are crazy racist space elves and the white frost is entropy manifested.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1057640842201055232?s=21

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just in time for Halloween.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ironic choice of words

E:u ninja edit

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:ninja:

So it's already coming in 2019 huh?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Alchenar posted:

America. A similar creepy obsession with bloodline race science as Nilfgaard, but really far-away and not really involved in the story until the end.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I must say that the combination of Cavill's model face and the really long hair give this Geralt a Fabio look lol.

It's a familiar face to fans but that's probably how he looks to people not familiar with it - they need to roughen him up big time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Made me think of W1 Geralt more than anything.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I feel like releasing an early costume/make-up test to the public was not a good choice? Especially without any contact lens to make his eyes look Witchery.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

America. A similar creepy obsession with bloodline race science as Nilfgaard, but really far-away and not really involved in the story until the end.

The Warhammer fantasy setting is full of racist and colonialist tropes, but one thing I always really liked is that the faction that rules fantasy north america are leisure obsessed slave-and-warmongering racists with a really unhealthy relationship to sex.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Something about this picture looks alarmingly bad and up to this point I've been extremely positive about the casting. He really needs some beard scruff and less shiny hair I think.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Far too good-looking, makeup should draw some scars or something, so he doesn't look like Legolas.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pyromancer posted:

Far too good-looking, makeup should draw some scars or something, so he doesn't look like Legolas.

That's it! No scars! And he's not pale skin/albino. No wonder it looks off. It literally looks like Superman in a silver long hair wig.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Holy poo poo it looks terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

looks fine