Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's like that in every recent fallout except you usually don't get the armor bonus. This is actually a good and cool thing they have done. Some outfits other than the vault suit will show armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I can't believe you can still gently caress with the framerate to speedhack. It was so obviously going to happen that my brain blanked over the possibility.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
does wearing the uncle pip boy head make your head hitbox bigger

if they accidentally made being pip boy a detriment i would have to write a nasty dear todd post on reddit

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's like that in every recent fallout except you usually don't get the armor bonus. This is actually a good and cool thing they have done. Some outfits other than the vault suit will show armor.

Yeah it’s better than previous fallouts, but not as cool as it could be with one more step. I rocked the police outfit and mirror shades.

And yeah the voice chat was terrible. I went from someone’s kids screaming about not wanting to go to sleep, to someone repeatedly saying every character of a long url, to finally for most of my time what sounded like a giant dog running back and forth on a wood floor.... for like two hours.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Moose-Alini posted:

Yeah it’s better than previous fallouts, but not as cool as it could be with one more step. I rocked the police outfit and mirror shades.

And yeah the voice chat was terrible. I went from someone’s kids screaming about not wanting to go to sleep, to someone repeatedly saying every character of a long url, to finally for most of my time what sounded like a giant dog running back and forth on a wood floor.... for like two hours.

The dog sounds cool.

Y'all need to learn that the mute button is under social and when you scroll over people's names.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I didn't get to play last night because lmao at the preload and slow downloads and I got work.

But there isn't an audio option to just turn off voice chat audio?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Regarding framerates, I noticed NPC animations played at like 1 FPS while the game was running around 45 FPS in borderless windowed , but everything capped to Vsync in fullscreen. Anyone else notice that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I didn't get to play last night because lmao at the preload and slow downloads and I got work.

But there isn't an audio option to just turn off voice chat audio?

yes but apparently you have to get past character creation to do that lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

corn in the bible posted:

Ahhh! Lmao to the extreme. This is tremendous.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

You can do it before starting up the game.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ahhh! Lmao to the extreme. This is tremendous.

It has to be a side effect of the hack job to make gamebyro/creation a multiplayer engine in this style.

That being said it is actually a rather deployment of the engine this time, runs quite smooth besides vsync stupidity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Hootington posted:

You can do it before starting up the game.

You can't expect people to know of the problem before jumping in.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I didn’t feel like loving around with menus and stuff, and the dog was kinda cool. The way menus and key binding work is totally non intuitive.

Also, the thirst and hunger mechanic is nuts. Tone it down I spent more time worrying about that than anything. Food and drink is much more rare in this game, and I was constantly thirsty and hungry. But I need to save some food for healing! Nope, we’ll give you damage until you die if you don’t eat it now. Stimpacks seem quite rare too, so I been using healing salve that I nearly ran out of. Got that from one of the constant events.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You're the first person I've heard that complaint from (it's usually the opposite). But most of the impressions I've listened to were from people experienced with 4's survival mode.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I’ve pretty much never played any kind of survival game as it drives me crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One of the pitfalls of a one-size-fits-all approach to difficulty.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

4s survival mode best mode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Moose-Alini posted:

I didn’t feel like loving around with menus and stuff, and the dog was kinda cool. The way menus and key binding work is totally non intuitive.

Also, the thirst and hunger mechanic is nuts. Tone it down I spent more time worrying about that than anything. Food and drink is much more rare in this game, and I was constantly thirsty and hungry. But I need to save some food for healing! Nope, we’ll give you damage until you die if you don’t eat it now. Stimpacks seem quite rare too, so I been using healing salve that I nearly ran out of. Got that from one of the constant events.

I had the problem of food spoiling because I had so much. Water is a none issue if you find any pools or streams. You can collect dirty water from them. The biggest issue I ran into was rada.

Where did you go after starting?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How does spoilage work?

(I think navigating Beth inventory systems is tedious enough)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

does wearing the uncle pip boy head make your head hitbox bigger

if they accidentally made being pip boy a detriment i would have to write a nasty dear todd post on reddit

I'm not sure, but I did somehow become wanted at level 4 (you don't get the ability to PvP until level 5) even though I wasn't even near any other players and when I finally did run into other players they killed me real fast.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How does spoilage work?

(I think navigating Beth inventory systems is tedious enough)

Raw meat and veggies seem to spoil after a set amount of time. Cooked food seems to last forever just a very long time. Liquids ever spoil.

Spoiled food can be turned into fertilizer.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 364 days!
Probably old news but lmao

https://twitter.com/superspacedad/status/1057514971108700161?s=21

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

This is literary a 101 thing in game programming and it's kind of amazing that it's still around considering its consequences, especially in a multiplayer game. There is really NO excuse for it, this is just outright unprofessional.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is one of those games that will be way more fun to read about in it's fuckups than it will be to play

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbak0wFL2TI

lmao

also, obviously if you stare straight at the ground your FPS will be higher. so I predict the next beta session will be full of people looking downwards and zooming around the map at hyperspeed

Short of hard-capping the framerate, I also don't see how they're gonna fix this if it's so heavily ingrained into the engine itself. So we'll probably end up with a 60fps cap, I guess.

:thumbsup:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 31, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Mr Hootington posted:

I had the problem of food spoiling because I had so much. Water is a none issue if you find any pools or streams. You can collect dirty water from them. The biggest issue I ran into was rada.

Where did you go after starting?

I discovered towards the end that I could just collect a lot of water, but then so many rads. I did lamplight Flatwoods then airport, then ran off to that tourist city North West. Maybe I’m just a hoarder, but I wanted that food for hp, and would have to eat and drink like six things each just to give myself a half hour without worrying.

Maybe it’s like caps. Seemed really rare at first but ended up with more than I needed by the end.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 31, 2018

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I opened the launcher today and it didn't delete the beta. Of course, you still can't play it.

All things considered, today is a big step up in the beta from yesterday.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Jesus Christ Bethesda

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So how are you guys feeling about the game post beta.

Is it typical Bethesda in that it's buggy and has issues, but gently caress it, it's eventually going to be good, or is it Buggy and doesn't have much potential for improving to level worth purchasing it?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Considering that I didn't play last night, I'm feeling pretty ambivalent.

I'll let you know after Thursdays beta.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

It'll either be good or bad to your personal taste friend, buy it or don't, nothing really matters.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

jadebullet posted:

Is it typical Bethesda in that it's buggy and has issues, but gently caress it, it's eventually going to be good, or is it Buggy and doesn't have much potential for improving to level worth purchasing it?

I would say typical Bethesda. It's a bit buggy for some people (I managed to dodge most of them, other than becoming wanted somehow at level 4, but then I just stored all my stuff and ran around until I found someone and let them kill me) but it seems like it'll be a really fun game in the long run.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

How is it eventually going to be good though? In the past, modders provided that service. There are no mods now. The game contains the same old jank and bugs that have plagued Bethesda's games for years, and nothing has been done about them. If these things aren't a deal breaker for you then no problem, I guess, but nobody should have any faith that Bethesda are gonna fix the underlying crap that makes these games so goddamn janky. Either they can't, or they won't.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

burial posted:

I was nearby somebody that had their mic on and the dude’s wife was yelling at this little kid that was scared to go to bed. :(

The unfortunate downsides of multiplayer games have always been the occasional glimpses into people's domestic arrangements and occasional child abuse.

Bardeh posted:

but nobody should have any faith that Bethesda are gonna fix the underlying crap that makes these games so goddamn janky. Either they can't, or they won't.

Before they didn't have to keep a multi-year development of an MMO in an MMO rich environment alive. They've moved business models and genres, so they're going to need to adapt or die.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bardeh posted:

How is it eventually going to be good though? In the past, modders provided that service. There are no mods now. The game contains the same old jank and bugs that have plagued Bethesda's games for years, and nothing has been done about them. If these things aren't a deal breaker for you then no problem, I guess, but nobody should have any faith that Bethesda are gonna fix the underlying crap that makes these games so goddamn janky. Either they can't, or they won't.

"Butbutbut private servers!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

jadebullet posted:

It was fun, but the fps issues need fixing if you are on console. If on PC that is a whole other boat of problems.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hav posted:

The unfortunate downsides of multiplayer games have always been the occasional glimpses into people's domestic arrangements and occasional child abuse.

Before they didn't have to keep a multi-year development of an MMO in an MMO rich environment alive. They've moved business models and genres, so they're going to need to adapt or die.

Yeah they're going to die, this is known

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

jadebullet posted:

My opinion is it’s boring as hell and there’s no future here. Seems around 20 hours would get you all the content, and 1 hour gets you the whole gameplay experience.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Yeah they're going to die, this is known

How long have you had that opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hav posted:

it doesnt have a subscription model to fund development