Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would not want them to do Richter yet. There is a good three Belmonts before him and after Trevor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This season was really good! I'm a little bummed that Death never showed up. He's supposed to be Dracula's best buddy! But if they somehow bring Dracula back in the next season, I could see Death being involved in that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also 3 is the earliest game in the timeline that involves Dracula.

He's technically in Lament of Innocence. :barf:

I'm ok with them mentioning Leon and other references to that game but I really hope they never adapt the plot elements of that turd.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm one of the few who actually liked Lament of Innocence. Repetitive environments aside, it had great boss fights and the new crystal mechanic was fun. The Forgotten One is one of my favorite boss battles in the whole franchise.

But I think since the series specifically mentioned Leon as the progenitor and we saw his legacy in the Belmont estate, they don't need to go into his history; they should just go forward from Trevor.

Elderbean posted:

I love Alucards ridiculously long sword, it moves so gracefully.
He really is the anime-est boy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lurdiak posted:

He's technically in Lament of Innocence. :barf:

I'm ok with them mentioning Leon and other references to that game but I really hope they never adapt the plot elements of that turd.

Lament of Innocence was a good game! It wasn't a great Castlevania, but as a character action game it's pretty kickass

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope that next season Alucard gets Soma as a Stand.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Verisimilidude posted:

Lament of Innocence was a good game! It wasn't a great Castlevania, but as a character action game it's pretty kickass

I loved that game as well and beat it with all three characters.

So with the success of Castlevania there are rumors the producer of the Netflix series will be making a Legend of Zelda TV series next.

Instagram tease: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpibkaZn3oJ/

https://amp.businessinsider.com/legend-of-zelda-tv-series-adi-shankar-2018-10

BexGu fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 31, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhonne posted:

This season was really good! I'm a little bummed that Death never showed up. He's supposed to be Dracula's best buddy! But if they somehow bring Dracula back in the next season, I could see Death being involved in that.

They can get Patrick Stewart to voice him again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I've been really enjoying a lot of the Netflix-produced anime lately. They feel different than other anime and I can't quite put my finger on why exactly.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Also 3 is the earliest game in the timeline that involves Dracula.

Legends and Lament. Let's go with Legends though, and have Trevor find out who his daddy was

Panfilo posted:

I've been really enjoying a lot of the Netflix-produced anime lately. They feel different than other anime and I can't quite put my finger on why exactly.

They aren't being used to sell toys to literal children or "sexy" toys to man-children, nerds, and collection nuts. So things like Devilman Crybaby can examine it's weird sexual themes out having to worry about selling a certain number of Satan figures and this can just rest it's laurels and be about vampire politics for a season.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 31, 2018

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Someone's compiled a list of the easter eggs they noticed in series 2.

Some of them are obvious, but some are pretty obscure..

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If we're eventually going to follow other Belmonts, I went them to cover the story of Julius Belmont, the man to defeated Dracula once and for all in 1999.

Those events have never actually been shown in a game, so you could do anything with it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

NutritiousSnack posted:

They aren't being used to sell toys to literal children or "sexy" toys to man-children, nerds, and collection nuts. So things like Devilman Crybaby can examine it's weird sexual themes out having to worry about selling a certain number of Satan figures and this can just rest it's laurels and be about vampire politics for a season.

You think it is this? I didn't think most anime aggressively marketed toys the same way that American 80's cartoons did. Netflix does seem to give directors the freedom to take things in interesting directions, which is what I guess I liked about Devilman Crybaby and Castlevania.

Watching the first season of Castlevania was a pleasant surprise, as I was initially assuming it was going to be one of those 'straight to DVD' type shows based on video games with little actual depth. The English voice acting is pretty good as well. In fact relatively little of it feels 'anime' to me (in a good way) and the only times the anime-ness of it pokes through is some of Sypha's facial expressions.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Honestly other than being cel shaded I don't even see Castlevania as an anime. The people all actually look like people, the tropes aren't non-existant but are subtle and rare. Despite being based on japanese source material I'd outright call Castlevania a western-style cartoon with anime influences. But I guess where the line of "anime or not" falls could be argued until the heat-death of the universe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hra Mormo posted:

Honestly other than being cel shaded I don't even see Castlevania as an anime. The people all actually look like people, the tropes aren't non-existant but are subtle and rare. Despite being based on japanese source material I'd outright call Castlevania a western-style cartoon with anime influences. But I guess where the line of "anime or not" falls could be argued until the heat-death of the universe.

The only guy with a Japanese name in the credits is American. It's a Korean-American collab based on Japanese source material.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wish I'd've seen this before I read a bunch of wikipedia pages about video games to see if they were referencing actual video game things since I've only barely played any of them. I got the giant Dracula fireball that you have to hit back at the boss, though.

Hra Mormo posted:

Based strictly on the Hair Test, it's anime.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wolf holding the sword is also very obviously Sif.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://deadline.com/2018/10/castlevania-renewed-season-3-netflix-richard-armitage-james-callis-1202493302/

Good news, everyone! :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, I'd be cool if they finish up with Curse of Darkness. End it while it's fresh and they're enthusiastic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

twistedmentat posted:

Wolf holding the sword is also very obviously Sif.

I think this is specifically a list of Castlevania easter eggs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SirSamVimes posted:

I think this is specifically a list of Castlevania easter eggs.

Oh yea, i wasn't going "hey this missed this!' I just was saying that it probably is a reference, we know it wouldn't be the first Dark Souls reference in it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

wall chicken has been found

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Panfilo posted:

You think it is this? I didn't think most anime aggressively marketed toys the same way that American 80's cartoons did. Netflix does seem to give directors the freedom to take things in interesting directions, which is what I guess I liked about Devilman Crybaby and Castlevania.

Watching the first season of Castlevania was a pleasant surprise, as I was initially assuming it was going to be one of those 'straight to DVD' type shows based on video games with little actual depth. The English voice acting is pretty good as well. In fact relatively little of it feels 'anime' to me (in a good way) and the only times the anime-ness of it pokes through is some of Sypha's facial expressions.

The real "hey kids buy this toy!" push in Japan is for Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambivalent posted:

wall chicken has been found

You mean Pork Chop

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I can totally see Trevor being all, "Imma stuff this salted pork behind some masonry in case I get hungry later. It's a Belmont tradition!"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

You mean Pork Chop

Going to need Jack Burton's opinion

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

Going to need Jack Burton's opinion

In the manual for the first game is clearly states its a porkchop. I know its weird.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not as hidden as wall pork, IIRC, there's a shot with some broken statues, and I think they're the save point statues from the various gameboy games. Will have to double check when I'm able.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Just finished up both seasons and man what an awesome show. Totally surprised I got into it like I did.

I think my biggest criticism might be with the audio mixing? It's like playing a video game but someone turned the music SFX slider down to 30% and kept everything the same. Storming the castle in Ep. 7 should've had the music cranked up but I feel like I could barely hear it. Maybe it's my home audio setup idk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

My problem with it is mainly plot related. Yeah yeah, Castlevania games were never about the plots, but just like Other M, it's an example where exploring a subject matter more made it way worse. Dracula was suddenly Some Guy who used an amulet to become a vampire instead of Vlad Tepes who made a deal with the very devil to become the first vampire. And the famous Vampire Killer whip? Some guy made it in his shed.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Legends and Lament. Let's go with Legends though, and have Trevor find out who his daddy was

Iga did not consider Legends canon and Lament invalidates it, so who knows where it stands now.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 1, 2018

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I never played the Castlevania games, but this show was a lot of fun. It seems like the second season was a little lighter-hearted than the first, but that's not a bad thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Going through and learning the history of the games, Sonia Belmont looks kind of like Lisa tepes in the show (the giant braid) but that might be a bit of a stretch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Going through and learning the history of the games, Sonia Belmont looks kind of like Lisa tepes in the show (the giant braid) but that might be a bit of a stretch.

There's all sorts of fan theories about what designs might be references to who.

I personally think it's just that anime style can only do so many faces, but eh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

There's all sorts of fan theories about what designs might be references to who.

I personally think it's just that anime style can only do so many faces, but eh.

This show went for pretty detailed, unique faces, and male characters usually get plenty of leeway. Come to think of it, were there any two characters who had the exact same face?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just minor villagers who died seconds later I think. Lots of blondes and redheads that looked the same.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Is it me or is Dracula freakishly tall? there's a scene where he's talking to Godbrand and he just towers over him. I guess it might be his cloak and him going out of his way to intimidate Godbrand into shutting the gently caress up, but seriously Dracula is one big boi.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

With a cloak as voluminous as his, he might actually just be constantly floating to appear taller.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Vlad Dracula Tepesh is the OG Tall, Dark & Handsome.

I have a very close friend from Puerto Rico who is over the moon for the series because he is super into Cosplay and Castlevania and happens to be 6’4 and basically a dead ringer for Dracula. He’s had the hair style and facial hair for years, his Facebook page is literally just all of his friends like “bruh you in da show”. He’s been furiously crafting his outfit since S1. I’m so happy for him because Dracula was amazing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Panfilo posted:

Is it me or is Dracula freakishly tall? there's a scene where he's talking to Godbrand and he just towers over him. I guess it might be his cloak and him going out of his way to intimidate Godbrand into shutting the gently caress up, but seriously Dracula is one big boi.

Dracula is shown as being able to change his size, with the possibilities ranging from "normal dude" to "WHAT IS A MAN? *smash*" depending on how scary he wants to be

Given that he is trying to make Godbrand shut the gently caress up, he goes into full WHAT IS A MAN mode there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

That checks out.