Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

It really depends on which movie you're talking about, but pretty much every Halloween after the first one gives Michael incredible strength. Part 2 has him pick up a nurse one-handed with a scalpel. Part 4 has him digging into people barehanded and pulling them apart like clay. Even the original has him pick up Bob by the throat with one hand, which takes a lot of strength.

You're right it's more in line with Jason, but not by much. But many of Halloween sequels decided to steal from Jason and the Friday the 13th series more than anything, like do their own thing.

also in the original he managed to carry his sister's headstone from the graveyard to that upstairs bedroom presumably by himself, pretty sure a person with normal strength couldn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
49. Spookies
1986 | dir. Genie Joseph, Thomas Doran, Brendan Faulkner | YouTube
staff pick chosen my M_Sinistrari

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror
:ghost: Watch a staff pick!

What the hell is this? Trick question, it doesn't even know.

Most small creature films rip off Gremlins. This one decided to rip off Ghoulies instead.

Until it gets bored with that, and then decides to rip off any creature feature it can think of.

And then it gets bored of creatures all-together and decides to be a zombie movie.

This is a stand-out for being so bonkers. It's truly unpredictable. Choco informed me that this was plagued with major issues in the production, leading to most of the crew being fired half-way through, and it shows.

This is a better crowd movie, though. It fits very well with Death Spa, Troll 2, and Chopping Mall.

Recommended for a night with friends and alcohol.

50. I Was A Teenage Zombie
1987 | dir. John Elias Michalakis | FilmStruck :rip:

For future reference, this would qualify for Fran Challenge #8 Once In A Lifetime

A double feature of "What the hell did I just watch?"

I can't really argue for or against this movie being on FilmStruck, but it does fit, in a weird way.

It's partly a nasty satire of After School Programs and anti-drug films and teen dramas, but it also is a teen drama--it just decided to embrace counter-culture teens instead of Good Kids. It's a horror movie--as evidence by the gore--but also a stupidly goofy comedy. The zombie effects are minimal like Night of the Living Dead--just slap some green make-up and dried oatmeal on their skin!--but the gore is pretty good. It feels like a Troma flick at times, but it's not as over-the-top or energetic. The camera and film they used are obviously cheap and the actors aren't actors, and that really hurts it.

There is a layer of sincerity with trying to make a good movie with what they had. If the writing were better, then they'd have served themselves more. What ties the movie together, however, is the soundtrack, which is absolutely fantastic. It's very punk and 80's alt.rock/college rock. You can tell that the filmmakers saw Return of the Living Dead and wanted to make their own punk zombie movie, but missed the mark big-time.

It's an interesting watch. So I'd say if a b-movie zombie movie that's flawed but watchable sounds fun, check it out.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 | Serial Mom | Monster Squad | The Neon Demon | Motel Hell | Vampyr | Possession | Under The Skin | Martyrs | The Curse of the Werewolf | The Old Dark House | Children of the Corn | Assassination Nation | The Leopard Man | Halloween 2 | Häxan | Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood | What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? | Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things | Near Dark | The Witches | Tenebrae | Return of the Living Dead | Masque of the Red Death | Cast a Deadly Spell | Clive Barker's Underworld | The 7th Victim | The Addiction | The Witchfinder General | Curse of Chucky | Puppetmaster | The Fall of the House of Usher (1928) | Alice Sweet Alice | Halloween ('18) | The Lords of Salem | The Changeling ('80) | Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('56) | Bruiser | Scarab | Street Trash | A Page of Madness | Demons 2 | The Innocents | The Texas Chainsaw Massacre | Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers | Spookies | I Was A Teenage Zombie
Total: 50
Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 COMPLETE!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

blood_dot_biz posted:

#12: The Beyond (1981)

It’s always great to see someone discover this movie and like it so much . It’s also my favorite Fulci. It’s not “”good”” , but it’s one you pop in and turn your brain off. It has what is probably my favorite soundtrack and that awesome cover (depicting something that never happens in the movie of course , as per horror tradition)

You should follow this up with The House By The Cemetery. It’s very similar to The Beyond in its composure. Of course if you get this deep into it you might as well finish the trilogy with City Of The Living Dead. These are a trilogy only in that they maybe exist in the same dream-universe, so watching them out of order isn’t a problem .

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

Part 2 has him pick up a nurse one-handed with a scalpel.

I knew that kill was coming before I watched it the first time, and yet it still got a laugh out of me seeing it in action. It's loving stupid on so many levels, and not because Michael is one-handing her.

I guess that was a titanium steel scalpel, and it was all one piece, and he jammed it into the bone so it didn't slip out. Jesus, they could've done an entire episode of Mythbusters around Halloween II alone.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
20. Pulse

Forbidden rooms sealed off in red tape start appearing across the city, and anyone who enters is...changed. Also something about the Internet. Expected a Ring-knockoff, but it's a film primarily about loneliness, very low key and eerie. At one point there is an explanation of what's going on, and it's so completely nonsensical and contrary to what is happening throughout the movie before and after that for me it turned the rest of the movie into a futile exercise in trying to reconcile it with what's shown on screen. Definitely very interesting, but I don't think it quite works.

Previously:
Creepshow II, Monster Squad, Mandy, Shock, Devil Fetus, Black Cat, Suspiria, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Vampire's Kiss, The Vampire Lovers, The Howling II, Deathwatch, Lord of Illusion, Don't Torture a Duckling, The Burbs, The Cell, Cast a Deadly Spell, Hobo with a Shotgun, Revenge

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 31, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

It’s always great to see someone discover this movie and like it so much . It’s also my favorite Fulci. It’s not “”good”” , but it’s one you pop in and turn your brain off. It has what is probably my favorite soundtrack and that awesome cover (depicting something that never happens in the movie of course , as per horror tradition

I dunno, I love The Beyond and that it's "good". Like if you're willing to believe a portal to hell/evil dimension is opening up, I think it's fine to believe that reality is bending around it. And I like that the main focus is that energy, and the cast moves around it, rather than the opposite. It's unusual.

Also, it's visually and musically friggin sweet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

:ghost: Watch a staff pick!

Recommended by Untrustable:

36. Ghost Stories (2018)
(blu-ray)

Philip Goodman, a paranormal skeptic who makes a living debunking hoaxes and frauds, meets a man who he used to idolize - a researcher with similar interests who went missing and was presumed dead many years ago. He is presented with three cases that this man was never able to solve, and sets out to get to the bottom of them all. This framing device is used to tell three seemingly unrelated creepy stories, but as the film goes on it seems that maybe they have something in common. Philip, as skeptical as he is, begins experiencing phenomena that even he can't wave away as fake.

This is a pretty good British horror anthology, in the tradition of the great Amicus productions of the '60s and '70s (Tales from the Crypt, The Vault of Horror, etc). It is based on a stage play of the same name, and I'm kind of curious how some of these scenes would've worked on stage (for example, one set in a large abandoned mental hospital, or another set mostly in a car in the middle of the woods).

Overall I liked this a lot, although I thought it relied on loud noises for jump scares a little too often. The ending is a little too on the nose, as well - there is a twist that ties everything together, but I thought the film spent a little too long dwelling on it. Other than that, this is a nice looking movie with some excellent acting, especially from Martin Freeman. I definitely recommend checking this one out.

Movies Seen: The Witching Season | Lifeforce | Terrifier | Unsane | I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House | From Beyond | 13 Ghosts | The Ritual | Child's Play | Twice-Told Tales | Beyond the Gates | Cat People (1982) | Fright Night | The Vampire Lovers | The Vampire Doll | Frightmare | Honeybee | Murder Party | Child's Play 2 | The Beyond | The Night of a Thousand Cats | Mandy | My Soul to Take | Apostle | Near Dark | Child's Play 3 | The Phantom Carriage | Halloween (1978) | Halloween II (1981) | Halloween (2018) | Creep 2 | The Quatermass Xperiment | Darling | Bride of Chucky | Phantom of the Opera (1943) | Ghost Stories
Total: 36
Fran challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

52. The Innkeepers (2011) Rewatch

Two employees of a hotel on it's last few days for business start to explore the haunted history of their place of employment. I'm a big Ti West fan, I think he really knocked it out of the park with The Innkeepers and House of the Devil. His section on VHS was one of my favorites and I even really liked The Sacrament. House of the Devil is probably the better movie, but I just really enjoy The Innkeepers. The setting is both mundane and unexpectedly spooky and the characters are likable with great chemistry. Plus, Sara Paxton is adorable. :shobon:

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

53. Look Away (2018)

A dejected teenager confides in her hallucinated twin sister that she speaks to in mirrors. Or is the mirror image more than just her imagination? It's...weird. A user on Letterboxd said it felt like Carrie meets The Dark Half and I'd say that's fairly accurate. It's a mildly interesting concept that doesn't really go very far and has a twist that isn't that shocking. There's also a lot of creepy incest undertones that could serve as something weird and unsettling, if it wasn't the focus of a tremendous amount of screen time that ended up feeling like gross sexual padding.

:spooky:.5/5

54. Slither (2006) Rewatch

A small southern town is attacked and taken over by mind-controlling space slugs. I recall really liking this when it came out, and this time I was right! I've had some bad luck this marathon with going back and watching movies I saw a decade ago and can barely remember, but Slither holds up as a gross, fun and funny horror flick. I'm not even generally a fan of Nathan Fillion or Elizabeth Banks, but they're both pretty awesome in this, and Michael Rooker serves as an excellent sleazy body-horror antagonist. And as a Southerner, I really appreciate this line: Where is the Mr. Pibb? I told your secretary to pack Mr. Pibb. It's the only Coke I like.

55. Embrace of the Vampire (2013)

That sure was a reboot of a movie that didn't need rebooting and is worse in every way.

:spooky:/5

56. I Still See You (2018)

A really interesting concept that I don't think stuck the landing. Ten years after a catastrophic event that apparently killed a massive number a people, the world is haunted by Remnants, ghosts who appear and replay moments from their lives. They don't interact with humans until Bella Thorne notices them multiplying and receives a threatening message. It's clearly a ghost story movie for teenagers. It's a neat idea that gets watered down by feeling like a spooky movie version of Divergent or Maze Runner - not in the sense that they're thematically similar, but feels like it very clearly was geared towards the YA market. It doesn't push the envelope, isn't very spooky outside of jump scares, but is serviceable to a small extent.

:spooky::spooky:/5

57. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018) (Full season)

A gritty take on the Sabrina franchise, inspired by the comics of the same name. This was pretty good. It's got the same stumbling blocks as it's sister-show Riverdale, but I think it succeeds in places where Riverdale doesn't. Like Riverdale, it's still a show about pretty people doing questionable things that are way out of their purview, but that's okay because everyone is a little too perfect and good at everything. That being said, it goes really interesting places. The characterization of Sabrina herself turns her into almost a villain. Her actions are cocky and ill-advised and frequently just hurt everyone around her, even if her plan works in the long run. The character of Ambrose is awesome and I hope his actor gets tons more work. Aunt Hilda is Dianne from Shaun of the Dead and she is awesome and precious. :neckbeard: The show has some meandering points and is receiving some criticism for a particularly backwards moment on it's otherwise progressive featuring of LGBTQ characters, but I'd still say it's worth giving a shot.

:witch::witch::witch:/5

58. An American Werewolf in Paris (1997)

Oh, Christ, why didn't anyone warn me?

0.5/5

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 31, 2018

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
does Ginger Snaps count as a Halloween movie? It's been a long time since I've watched it, I think part of it takes place on Halloween but I can't remember how much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

does Ginger Snaps count as a Halloween movie? It's been a long time since I've watched it, I think part of it takes place on Halloween but I can't remember how much.

Yes.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

12. Pitch Black (2000) - Rewatch (DVD)

Before Vin Diesel lived his life a 1/4 mile at a time he starred in Pitch Black as the intergalactic badass Riddick. Pitch Black hasn't aged that great but I still have a soft spot for this movie. The creature design is inspired and I actually like the washed-out camera filters.

3.5/5

13. Desperation (2006) (DVR Showtime)

This was mostly hot steaming garbage. Ron Perlman was decent as always but the only other good thing was the scene featuring a mountain lion attack combined with a Vietnam flashback. This crap-fest has wooden acting, some racism and religious overtones bordering on propaganda. It's been a long time since I read the book and I guess the strong religious overtones were there, but the movie cranks things up to 11. One of the worst King adaptations I have seen.

1.5/5

14. Silent Hill (2006) - Rewatch (DVD)

I have not played a Silent Hill game but I like this movie based on them. There's some nice creepy imagery going on and good performances from Radha Mitchell and Laurie Holden. The Sean Bean scenes could probably have been trimmed (like they apparently were in the original script) to make the film a little tighter but overall it's a decent movie.

3/5

15. A Quiet Place (2018) - Fran Challenge 10 Fear and Now (Netflix DVD)

This was a decent movie, although, like another poster said, could have been more effective as a short. I did appreciate the details and lengths the characters went to to be silent and liked the creature design.

3/5

16. Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Rewatch Fran Challenge 5 Birth of Horror (Amazon Prime)

I was hoping to watch Cujo since I've never seen the full movie but settled on a rewatch of Sleepaway Camp because there's not a lot of other good horror movies from 1983. There's some gross content here ("baldies," etc.) but the ending still has an impact.

3/5

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

married but discreet posted:

20. Pulse

Forbidden rooms sealed off in red tape start appearing across the city, and anyone who enters is...changed. Also something about the Internet. Expected a Ring-knockoff, but it's a film primarily about loneliness, very low key and eerie. At one point there is an explanation of what's going on, and it's so completely nonsensical and contrary to what is happening throughout the movie before and after that for me it turned the rest of the movie into a futile exercise in trying to reconcile it with what's shown on screen. Definitely very interesting, but I don't think it quite works.

One of the best parts of Pulse is how the world just kinda empties out over the course of the movie. It's very subtle, and not commented on, but over the course of the movie there's a decreasing number of extras in scenes. It's, IMO, extremely effective and creepy

So of course in the remake Kristen Bell just says out loud "Have you noticed that it seems like there's not as many people around anymore?" and kinda ruins it

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

30. Re-Animator 1985
A doctor is driven to re-animate the dead by injecting a chemical into their brains.

This movie was a lot of fun. Herbert West is a kooky character and the actor does a good job of selling his drive and mania. I wasn't sure how this one would play out and was entertained all the way through. Good stuff.
4/5

31. Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers 1988
A moral murderer goes about ridding the camp of sinners, people who were mean briefly, and people who get in the way.

I loved this movie. Angela is such a fun character to follow as she finds the tiniest reasons for offing people at camp. There's such a fun vibe throughout the whole movie. I was rooting for her from start to finish and immediately upon finishing I knew I had to also watch the next Sleepaway Camp. It was great to watch the credits and think that there's a good chance that Angela killed every person on the cast list. I don't know if that's true, but if not it's close.
5/5

32. Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenage Wasteland 1989
Angela is back. She has more work to do.

Part 3 is also fun but didn't land for me in the way that part 2 did. The story is extremely similar and that's one of the things I liked about it. Overall this movie just doesn't feel as inspired as the 2nd movie. It's also very possible that I would've enjoyed this movie more had I waited a bit after 2 to watch it.
3/5

33. Night of the Demons 1988
Party at a spooky old house. What could go wrong?

I really liked the soundtrack to this movie. The campiness was fun with each of the characters really leaning into their archetypes. This movie was a fun time.
4/5

34. The First Purge 2018
They called the fourth Purge movie The First Purge.

I've enjoyed all of the Purge movies. I appreciated that this one went with an entirely new cast and told a new albeit familiar story (for the series). The organizers of the Purge tampering with the events of the night to make the Purge look more successful than it actually was in reality was a highlight. I'll keep on watching these as long as they maintain this quality.
3/5

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Several Goblins posted:

57. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018) (Full season)

...The show has some meandering points and is receiving some criticism for a particularly backwards moment on it's otherwise progressive featuring of LGBTQ characters, but I'd still say it's worth giving a shot. ...

I've seen that criticism too and it's a shame some people are giving it guff considering it's one of the earlier warning signs that, hey, Sabrina's not exactly using her newfound resources in a wise and fruitful way, maybe that'll turn into a plot point later!

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I've seen that criticism too and it's a shame some people are giving it guff considering it's one of the earlier warning signs that, hey, Sabrina's not exactly using her newfound resources in a wise and fruitful way, maybe that'll turn into a plot point later!

I agree with this entirely. I mean it's not a good look, but it seemed deliberate. Maybe the show was that tone deaf, but I saw it as Sabrina kind of sucks and is an arrogant rear end in a top hat and that's kind of the point. Sabrina ends up being the season's most reoccurring villain in several ways. Also, you know, she's a teenager. A teenager (or really anyone, I suppose) can seem progressive and accepting but not really consider the full reach of how their actions may counter their typical beliefs. You can be accepting and still do a dick thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Several Goblins posted:

I agree with this entirely. I mean it's not a good look, but it seemed deliberate. Maybe the show was that tone deaf, but I saw it as Sabrina kind of sucks and is an arrogant rear end in a top hat and that's kind of the point. Sabrina ends up being the season's most reoccurring villain in several ways. Also, you know, she's a teenager. A teenager (or really anyone, I suppose) can seem progressive and accepting but not really consider the full reach of how their actions may counter their typical beliefs. You can be accepting and still do a dick thing.

I will probably never read the comics and I'm not too interested in the new show, but those aspects were certainly part of the sitcom character.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I will probably never read the comics and I'm not too interested in the new show, but those aspects were certainly part of the sitcom character.

I've never read the comics either and it's been ages since I saw the sitcom. From what I recall that aspect of the character is basically the same. Well-meaning, but not exactly using her powers smartly. It's just got a little more of a sinister coat of paint on it and the consequences can be a little more grim this time around.

If you've watched any Riverdale and could tolerate the ridiculous melodrama and Twin Peaks-lite aspect it tried to pull off, you might give an episode or two of Sabrina a shot. I liked it quite a bit, but I wouldn't rush it to the front of the line to watch if you're not terribly interested in the idea of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Tales of Halloween(2015)

I love Halloween and I love anthologies. I'd have gotten around to this one sooner but there are so many anthologies out there that it's tough to find time for new ones in October. Anyway, while I enjoyed Tales of Halloween I do think it would work better as a very casual party movie to have on while people hang out and drink beers or whatever. There are some standout moments, and some really cringeworthy moments(lets immediately date ourselves by having Adrienne Curry in our movie!), but overall it was a good time. And it certainly leans into the season and definitely is a celebration of Halloween in the same spirit as Trick R Treat, just not executed nearly as well.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #8: Once In A Lifetime

Carnival of Souls(1962)

I wanted to love this but ended up a bit disappointed. I'll definitely be rewatching it, maybe I'll grab the Criterion during a sale, because it's possible that the Prime version just wasn't good enough to really show off the spooky atmosphere that the director was going for.

For me there was just a bit too much wandering, too much going through the motions to get to the creepy stuff and then of course the outcome is the expected one so no surprises there. And I was hoping for a bit more of a payoff in terms of a "Carnival of Souls" but I suppose with the budget they were working with I probably set my expectations a bit too high. Solid performances all around though, especially the lead, Candace Hilligoss. Of course, maybe anticipation for the next movie on the schedule made me a little impatient...

From Beyond(1986)

It's getting tough to find new posters for this every year, I really like this one though.

I've noticed a lack of people having watched From Beyond this year(there have been a few), so I hope that means my life's purpose is mostly complete and almost everyone has seen it. It's not a movie where you'd necessarily be able to write a dissertation about it's technical merits, it's just flat-out one of the most fun creature features ever made. Part of is the casting of course; Crampton, Combs and Foree carry most of the movie and it's always a little bit of a bummer when Foree makes his exit. Crampton gets a chance to do some real acting here, something that sadly she hasn't has the opportunity to do nearly as much in her career as she deserves. When you see her initially with the glasses and the hair pulled back, it looks ridiculous but she really does sell it in the end. And obviously the resonator-influenced nymphomaniac is an aspect of the character that she was(and still is!) more than equipped to handle.

I know the look of From Beyond isn't exactly artistic genius, maybe you could call it one-note. But it's a hell of a note. I love directors who have the confidence to use intense vivid colors and From Beyond is one of those movies where I discovered that about myself(along with a few of Argento's films of course).

With only 1 Fran Challenge left, I should have no problem at all watching a movie that's set on Halloween tonight! Only question is whether to count Halloween, Halloween III, or Trick R Treat.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12. Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974) 24. The Wicker Man(1973) 25. Nosferatu The Vampyre(1979) 26. The Fog(1980) 27. An American Werewolf in London(1981) 28. Prince of Darkness(1987) 29. A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984) 30. C.H.U.D.(1984) 31. Candyman(1992) 32. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh(1995) 33. Mimic(1997) 34. Scream(1996) 35. Audition(1999) 36. Cursed(2005) 37. Saw(2004) 38. Drag Me To Hell(2009) 39. Slither(2006) 40. Freddy vs. Jason(2003) 41. The First Purge(2018) 42. The Void(2016) 43. Lords of Salem(2012) 44. Hereditary(2018) 45. Summer of '84(2018) 46. Blood Feast(1963) 47. Revenge(2017) 48. Night of the Living Dead(1968) 49. Return of the Living Dead(1985) 50. Tales of Halloween(2015) 51. Carnival of Souls(1962) 52. From Beyond(1986)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Several Goblins posted:

I've never read the comics either and it's been ages since I saw the sitcom. From what I recall that aspect of the character is basically the same. Well-meaning, but not exactly using her powers smartly. It's just got a little more of a sinister coat of paint on it and the consequences can be a little more grim this time around.

Yeah, exactly. I saw the scarecrow clip and it looks cool, but I just don't really make the time for most shows, and I'm probably not going to start for Sabrina.

People, in general, do not like the heroes of their movie/show to be any more than always good all the time, unless they are straight up reprehensible amongst other people who are also reprehensible (GoT, for instance).

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

17. The Ruins (2008) - Rewatch (DVD)

Can plants be scary? I guess if they can eat you. A downer of a film based on an even more downer of a novel written by Scott Smith. This movie (and novel) could be as effective in a shorter form, but it's decent. The idea of plants that can mimic complex noises like cell phones is definitely unnerving.

3/5

18. Don't Torture a Duckling (1982) Fran Challenge 7 The World is a Scary Place (Amazon Prime)

This was the second film by Fulci I have watched (the other is The New York Ripper) and both contained references to Donald Duck. Is this a thing with him, or did I just happen to pick the lucky two? Overall this was a decent movie, but I wish Amazon had a subtitled version. Other than that I can definitely see how this was very controversial at the time.

3/5

19. Wishmaster (1997) - Rewatch (DVD)

Wishmaster is a fun little movie that I've seen multiple times. Andrew Divoff is great as the Djinn, and this first entry in the series has a bunch of cameos from a good number of horror alumni. Also somehow a very pro-smoking movie; there are a lot of scenes with characters smoking, including the ancient Djinn.

3.5/5

20. Resident Evil (2002) - Rewatch (DVD)

Like Silent Hill I have also never played a Resident Evil game. The movie feels very much like a video game, with pass codes and enemies to kill to reach the ultimate goal. Mostly decent but the cgi on the Licker has not aged well. I know I've watched the first sequel (but remember nothing about it) but there are a lot of entries to the series I've never seen. Are they worth it?

3/5

21. The Driller Killer (1979) (Amazon Prime) Fran Challenge 6 Video Nasties

This was actually a pleasant surprise. I thought I was going to be sitting through complete garbage but I actually liked this movie. It's one of those movies that really shows a gritty, grimy city and makes me glad I didn't grow up in such a place. There was way too much time spent on the band, though, with really no pay off. I was at least expecting the annoying singer to be killed.

3/5

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wet Tie Affair posted:

20. Resident Evil (2002) - Rewatch (DVD)

Like Silent Hill I have also never played a Resident Evil game. The movie feels very much like a video game, with pass codes and enemies to kill to reach the ultimate goal. Mostly decent but the cgi on the Licker has not aged well. I know I've watched the first sequel (but remember nothing about it) but there are a lot of entries to the series I've never seen. Are they worth it?

3/5

If you liked the first one, yes. A couple are kinda weak, but overall it's one of those series where none of the entries ever feel phoned-in. Every one has crazy poo poo, Milla Jovovich doing some kinda slow motion zombie murder, and an ending that sets up something the next movie has no interest in paying off.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

15. Les yeux sans visage (1960)

I'm a huge fan of French cinema so I was pretty sure I was going to like Eyes Without a Face before watching it, especially after reading a few goon reviews in the May challenge. It turns out I was correct in my assumption, this movie is pretty much amazing in every way. From the b&w cinematography to the great score to the great and twisted plot, this movie delivers. EWAF has a lot of mood and atmosphere and deals with a lot of themes and emotion that go beyond mere horror. There's undercurrents of guilt, anguish, despair and obsession that are strongly felt and the cast and crew did a fantastic job conveying these themes. I strongly recommend to any fans of horror or French films.
5/5 Outstanding

16. Freaks (1932)

Wow, this movie was a treat. Although the plot and characters seem a bit simplistic to my 2018 eyes, I can imagine how shocking it must have been to look watch in 1932. I like its depiction and treatment of the eponymous freaks as real human beings and the heroes of the story. This one gets a recommendation from me.
4.5/5 Great film

17. Army of Darkness (1992)

I recently watched Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 for the first time, so I thought it was high time for me to sink my teeth into Evil Dead 3 or Army of Darkness. Oh, I also saw Darkman recently. Army of Darkness certainly has the Sam Raimi stamp on it and it's a lot of terrific fun. Some parts are zany, some parts are rootin tootin, some parts are genuinely creepy. Overall the film is a romp and great fun to watch. I recommend it.
4.5/5 great movie

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you liked the first one, yes. A couple are kinda weak, but overall it's one of those series where none of the entries ever feel phoned-in. Every one has crazy poo poo, Milla Jovovich doing some kinda slow motion zombie murder, and an ending that sets up something the next movie has no interest in paying off.

Yeah, the first one was decent enough. Looking back at my movie lists I've seen the second one but have absolutely no memory of it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Work and life in general got in the way for me. I've only managed to see 17 movies (and write about 3 in this thread). I'm gonna do a bigger post later reviewing them, but I'm throwing the towel this year.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

22. Cabin Fever (2002) - Rewatch (Netflix Streaming) Fran Challenge 1 Love Something You Hate

Eli Roth's directorial debut has not aged that well. I remember not liking this at all when I first saw it but didn't remember particulars until this rewatch. There are a lot of "edgy" jokes that fall flat (although the gun joke is pretty good). The effects are decently grotesque and the premise is horrific enough that I can't totally hate this. I also will always enjoy the bizarre pancakes scene.

3/5

23. Society (1989) Fran Challenge 4 Best of the Worst (Amazon Prime)

This was listed as Brian Yuzna's highest rated film on that spreadsheet someone posted. I had avoided watching this one for a long time since I had the ending spoiled and was told the rest of the movie wasn't worth it. While it's true the movie features a lot of boring setup to the end scenes and not that great acting there is enough here (Clarissa from Demver, whatever was going on with Clarissa's mom, etc) to be entertaining.

3/5

24. Hell House LLC (2015) Fran Challenge 12 (Self-Described) Masters of Horror (Amazon Prime)

There are very few found footage movies I like, and this was definitely not one of them. It ticks all the boxes of why I don't like found footage (unlikable and idiotic characters, shaky camera, long periods of nothing happening) and doesn't really have anything new to happen to a genre that I feel shouldn't exist. That being said there were a couple decent creepy scenes.

1.5/5

25. The Devil's Candy (2015) (Netflix Streaming)

Apart from some cringe-worthy dialogue at the beginning this was overall a pretty solid movie. I don't say this often, but it could have benefited from being a little longer and fleshing out some elements (such as the art dealer for one) but it was decent enough.

3/5

26. The Sixth Sense (1999) - Rewatch (DVD)

This was my first rewatch of this movie, and I had forgotten the majority of the plot points. This time through I was thinking it would almost be better served with a lot less of Bruce Willis' character. I know he is there to drive the plot and serve as the twist, but it seems to me there would be a better movie here if it focused more on Cole's helping out the dead.

Wet Tie Affair fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 31, 2018

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Thought I made a post last night, looks like it didn't take. Guess I'll need to re-review a couple.

#45. Mark of the Vampire (YouTube TV/TCM) - :ghost:/5

A local nobleman dies in his house, and all signs point to a vampire attack. The police inspector doesn't believe it, but an eccentric professor pushes ahead with protecting the house from vampires anyway. But there's something else going on in that old house.

Terrible, dull, witless and boring. It's like someone tried to remake Dracula badly from half-remembered fever dreams - but, shockingly, the whole thing is shepherded by the director of that movie, Tod Browning. He even re-enlists Bela Lugosi to essentially play Dracula all over again, then gives him nothing to do and undercuts him in the last minutes, making him the butt of the movie's last joke. (Essentially, the whole thing is a play act to catch out the guy who killed the nobleman in the beginning of the picture, and Lugosi and his friends are actors "playing" the parts of the vampires. This ends up having basically no bearing on the story proper, since they just end up hypnotizing the bad guy and getting him to re-enact his murder. They even have another actor who looks JUST LIKE the murdered guy for them, conveniently. Seems like they could have just jumped right to that end and saved themselves the actors' fees!) The house set is nice, I guess, and it's fun to laugh at all of the super low budget bat and spider effects they have going on, but this is a real waste of time - and it barely lasts a full hour!

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #13: What We've All Been Waiting For

:ghost: Watch a movie that takes place on Halloween.

#46. 31 (Shudder) - :ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

On Halloween night, a band of carneys get kidnapped and forced to play a sick game of survival for the amusement (and bragging rights) of some crazed rich people. Can they survive the night and win their freedom?

Of all the Rob Zombie movies in the world, this is the Rob Zombie-est. He went off and crowdfunded this one, and came up with The Running Man but full of blood, sex, violence, death, creative (and not so creative) swearing, carnival folks, evil clowns, grungy aesthetics, chainsaws, and a cadre of B-listers (and also Sheri Moon Zombie). If that sounds like something you'd be into, you'll probably dig on this one; if that doesn't sound like your bag, this won't make you a Zombie convert. This is very much a movie that plays to your pre-conceived notions of Rob Zombie as a filmmaker; post Halloween II and Lords of Salem, I was just hoping that would amount to more.

#47. The Mummy's Hand (YouTube) - :ghost::ghost:/5

A small expedition of archaeologists, a magician and a woman, uncovers the tomb of Kharis, the undead Mummy, in Egypt while searching for the tomb of Ananka, his lover. Kharis is awakened by a vengeful priest and begins picking off the expedition. How will they be able to fight an impervious creature that's already dead?

Dull and boring, like the other "Mummy" sequels I've seen so far - this was the first, and seems to have been the template for not only the remaining 1940s Universal "Mummy" movies, but also the 2000s era Brendan Fraser series. This should be a good thing, making an adventure film that also has a horror villain in it, but between the dumb sidekick and the goofy magician, there's so much comedy relief that it undercuts both the action and the horror. This is also as slow and plodding as the titular villain, and it takes so long to get the Mummy back up and moving that you're pretty much checked out by the time anything interesting starts to happen. If you've seen one of these "Mummy's [Noun]" sequels, you've pretty much seen them all. Not recommended.

Watched so far: Cat People, Halloween 5, Mom and Dad, Hell House LLC, A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Beetlejuice, The Horror of Party Beach, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Return of the Living Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Murder Party, Anaconda, Dracula (1931), The Ritual, Blade II, The Beyond, Sleepaway Camp, Lord of Illusions, The Mummy's Ghost, Children of the Corn II, The Mummy's Curse, The Prophecy, Child's Play 2, Halloween II (1981), Hotel Transylvania, Psycho (1960), Halloween III, The Creature Walks Among Us, Train to Busan, Frankenstein (1931), The Addams Family, Bedeviled, Halloween (2018), The Old Dark House (1932), Pumpkinhead, Friday the 13th Part 2, Dead & Buried, Summer of 84, Bride of Frankenstein, Jigsaw, Son of Frankenstein, Critters 3, Leviathan (1989), Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Mark of the Vampire, 31, The Mummy's Hand

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

27. WNUF Halloween Special (2013) Fran Challenge 13 The Night We've All Been Waiting For

I admire the dedication to the gimmick of this movie (the filmmakers nailed the look and feel of a real broadcast) and I appreciated the "twist" of the ending but there's just not enough here to be worth much.

2/5

28. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Rewatch Fran Challenge 11 Dead and Buried

I don't have too much to say about this movie, except that I would love to be able to recreate the first time I saw this - on a grainy VHS tape back in high school.

3/5

29. The Raven James Chronicles Volume One (2016) (Amazon Prime) Fran Challenge 3 Hometown Horror

So not only was this filmed in my state of Wisconsin, I went to college with the director. He has definitely improved, as he made a couple very cringe-worthy "movies" around that time, but still hasn't made what I would consider a worthwhile project. This collection of interconnected shorts revolves around Raven James, an alcoholic ghost whisperer. He pals around with his local bartender Benny and helps ghosts accept that they are dead, mostly while not wearing a shirt and guzzling vodka. There's a couple decent moments to be had here but there is way too much dialogue while there is absolutely nothing happening.

2/5

30. Taxidermia (2006) Fran Challenge 8 Once in a Lifetime

:nws: https://imgur.com/HXjoIx2 :nws:

I was left perplexed the majority of this movie. I am extremely ignorant of Hungary and the history of Hungary and I feel that most of the symbolism went right over my head. There's a lot of disturbing and bizarre imagery here that I appreciated but overall I was left scratching my head.

3/5

31. The Eyes of My Mother (2016) Fran Challenge 9 Stranger Danger

I have one close friend that actually likes horror movies, so I asked him to give me a recommendation. I had been avoiding this one for no good reason and really liked it. I won't be in a hurry to rewatch any time soon but this is a movie that is profoundly disturbing and affecting.

4/5

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Okay, I have officially completed my challenge, with all the Fran Challenges as well. I'll hopefully be better prepared next year and do my best to review movies as I watch them.

Summary:

01. Terrifier (2017) (Netflix Streaming) 1/5
02. Stitches (2012) (Netflix Streaming) 3/5
03. The Descent (2005) - Rewatch (DVD) 3.5/5
04. Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) - Rewatch (DVD) 4/5
05. Population 436 (2006) (Amazon Prime) 2/5
06. My Friend Dahmer (2017) (Netflix DVD) 4/5 Fran Challenge 2 Queer Horror
07. Insidious (2010) - Rewatch (DVD) 2.5/5
08. White Zombie (1932) (Amazon Prime)
09. The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - Rewatch (DVD) 3/5
10. The Babysitter (2017) (Netflix Streaming) 3/5
11. Hereditary (2018) (Netflix DVD) 5/5
12. Pitch Black (2000) - Rewatch (DVD) 3.5/5
13. Desperation (2006) (DVR Showtime) 1.5/5
14. Silent Hill (2006) - Rewatch (DVD) 3/5
15. A Quiet Place (2018) (Netflix DVD) 3/5 Fran Challenge 10 Fear and Now
16. Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Rewatch (Amazon Prime) 3/5 Fran Challenge 5 Birth of Horror
17. The Ruins (2008) - Rewatch (DVD) 3/5
18. Don't Torture a Duckling (1982) (Amazon Prime) 3/5 Fran Challenge 7 The World is a Scary Place
19. Wishmaster (1997) - Rewatch (DVD) 3.5/5
20. Resident Evil (2002) - Rewatch (DVD) 3/5
21. The Driller Killer (1979) (Amazon Prime) 3/5 Fran Challenge 6 Video Nasties
22. Cabin Fever (2002) - Rewatch (Netflix Streaming) 3/5 Fran Challenge 1 Love Something You Hate
23. Society (1989) (Amazon Prime) 3/5 Fran Challenge 4 Best of the Worst
24. Hell House LLC (2015) (Amazon Prime) 1.5/5 Fran Challenge 12 (Self-Described) Masters of Horror
25. The Devil's Candy (2015) (Netflix Streaming) 3/5
26. The Sixth Sense (1999) - Rewatch (DVD) 3.5/5
27. WNUF Halloween Special (2013) 2/5 Fran Challenge 13 The Night We've All Been Waiting For
28. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Rewatch 3/5 Fran Challenge 11 Dead and Buried
29. The Raven James Chronicles Volume One (2016) (Amazon Prime) 2/5 Fran Challenge 3 Hometown Horror
30. Taxidermia (2006) 3/5 Fran Challenge 8 Once in a Lifetime
31. The Eyes of My Mother (2016) 4/5 Fran Challenge 9 Stranger Danger

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wet Tie Affair, I'm not gonna lie. I've been reviewing the thread the past few days, and I didn't think you'd pull through. I'm proud of you!

I'm proud of everyone that's met the goals so far, and impressed with everyone that's already finished the Fran Challenges. Keep it up, everyone!

We still have 24 hours left of the challenge.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

The Deadly Spawn, 1983

Figured I could watch an movie early before Halloween evening, and I picket a rewatch of one of the best gore movies of the 80s. This movie starts with a standard "alien thing comes down with meteor" plot, but it doesn't gently caress around. This isn't one of these "show a kill at the start, then gently caress around for 40 minutes without anything happening" b-movies I hate. This one got the killing coming stead through the whole thing and they are bloody. The monsters are worms of various sizes with hosed up teeth that rip people to shreds and they don't hold back on the graphic details of that. This got some seriously well done gore effects that looks pretty realistic. One of my favorite scenes is when a young boy gets to see one of the big worms regurgitate up the decapitated head of his mother, and it falling on the floor for the little to worms tear the skin and flesh off her skull. It's really well done and you know that kid is traumatized for life. It's brutal poo poo and I love it. A sure classic if you love monsters and gore

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wet Tie Affair posted:

31. The Eyes of My Mother (2016) Fran Challenge 9 Stranger Danger

I have one close friend that actually likes horror movies, so I asked him to give me a recommendation. I had been avoiding this one for no good reason and really liked it. I won't be in a hurry to rewatch any time soon but this is a movie that is profoundly disturbing and affecting.

4/5

You have a pretty cool friend and you should ask them for horror recommendations more often.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the best parts of Pulse is how the world just kinda empties out over the course of the movie. It's very subtle, and not commented on, but over the course of the movie there's a decreasing number of extras in scenes. It's, IMO, extremely effective and creepy

So of course in the remake Kristen Bell just says out loud "Have you noticed that it seems like there's not as many people around anymore?" and kinda ruins it

Yeah it's such a low-key apocalypse, I really liked that too.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

You should follow this up with The House By The Cemetery. It’s very similar to The Beyond in its composure. Of course if you get this deep into it you might as well finish the trilogy with City Of The Living Dead. These are a trilogy only in that they maybe exist in the same dream-universe, so watching them out of order isn’t a problem .

I'll throw those on my list, thanks!

Franchescanado posted:

Like if you're willing to believe a portal to hell/evil dimension is opening up, I think it's fine to believe that reality is bending around it. And I like that the main focus is that energy, and the cast moves around it, rather than the opposite. It's unusual.

That's a really great way of thinking about it. I also loved how any time someone starts to get destroyed by something, they effectively freeze and let that thing just completely have its way with them. I feel like a lot of that was probably just a limitation of how they're doing all the FX, but along with how wildly drawn out all those sequences were, it also fits with the idea of reality distorting as the portal to hell opens wider. Frozen by fear and locked in horrid torture.

Definitely plan to revisit this one at some point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
and so my October Horror Challenge ends where it began, at Camp Crystal Lake

Finally, what horror fans had all been waiting for. It seemed like it would never happen, but after years of hoping, it happened. Somebody remembered that Jason's right eye is hosed up. Ft13s 5-10 all got it wrong, either giving him two normal eyes or even a hosed up left eye. But Freddy vs Jason got it right.

This movie is very clearly from the cultural wasteland of the early 2000s. From the fashion to the dollar store Jay, this is a relic of those four or five extra years we let the nineties hang around even though they had clearly gone off and started smelling bad.

They really went all out here. Nowadays it feels like a lot of movies hold back for a planned sequel, but Freddy vs Jason gives you everything you want. Jason killing on Elm Street, Freddy killing in Crystal Lake, they fight in the dreams, they fight in real life, they use each other's weapons, etc. The final fight is great, up there with Ft13 Part 7 as the best in the franchise. I love how hosed up both get. After so long of unstoppable zombie Jason, it's great to see a return to a Jason who is inconvenienced by physical trauma, even if he is still an unstoppable zombie.

The main girl is named Laurie. I get it.

The humans are a little lacking. which makes sense, you got two killers hogging a lot of screen time. But both the black girl and the smoking girl were way more interesting characters than Laurie, and would've been better last girls, IMO.

The CGI is lacking in some placed, but in others is actually pretty well integrated with the practical effects, On the whole it looks way better than the CGi in the Nightmare remake, which came out years later

Freddy vs Jason is a fun movie with everything you could want from the premise.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So which was your favorite Friday and what was your favorite part about it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franchescanado posted:

So which was your favorite Friday and what was your favorite part about it?

That's either Part 7 and the fantastic final fight between zombie killer and psychic girl. Or Jason X and it's overall sci-fi camp. I probably enjoyed Jason X the most, but what I liked about it is so different from what I liked about the other Ft13 movies it feels weird picking it as my favorite.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
43. Unfriended Dark Web 2017
An idiot named Matias steals a laptop. Don't steal laptops, kids! He's working on a program for his deaf girlfriend that will take his written or spoken words and translate them into sign language. Seems pretty ambitious for this loser, but ok. He joins his friends online for a weekly game night, and continues to explore his new laptop but quickly uncovers some shady poo poo, embroiling him and his friends in a deadly contest with a Dark Web hacker.

I like movies in this genre, if it has a name yet. On screen? Screenview? Movies that take place entirely from the screen of a computer or various connected devices. They're all pretty enjoyable. Unfriended, The Den, Searching. Fun times.

Here, the hacking is taken to ludicrous supervillain level, basically CSI levels of super-hacking pretty much instantaneously. My favorite is the Watch_Dogs style "can't be seen on camera" hack. It's so ridiculous. It's fun, and there are some good scares.

44. Revenge 2017
A tale as old as time, in horror movies anyway, as a woman gets raped and left for dead, and wreaks vengeance. The whole movie made me feel like someone had played the Tomb Raider remake and decided Lara Croft would make a good vengeance seeker. She would and does, and Jen is a complete badass despite some pretty incredible wounds.

There is more male nudity here than female, but despite that (and the female director) it still felt like there were an awful lot of male gaze-y admiring shots of Jen even after she is bloodied and beaten. The movie is gorgeous and colorful, and bloody.

I wish it had a little more nuance, which, I guess, is probably a weird request from a rape revenge movie. The men are all pretty instantly detestable, and there is no character to Jen except sexpot before she is reborn as an angel of death.

It's worth seeing, though, if only for the burning tree, the tattoo, and the final confrontation. It is what it wants to be, and that is cool as hell.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Over the course of this October I watched 38 horror movies I had never seen before, and completed all Fran challenges

My top five
5: tie between Godzilla: Planet of Monsters and Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion both are really well made giant monster stories, focusing on the human preparation and response to the creatures

4: The Pit and the Pendulum (Stuart Gordon version) Lance Henrickson is absolutely outstanding as Torquemada

3: Lake Mungo a quiet, moving story of loss and death

2: The First Purge fantastic action, great politics, solid characters, the full package

1: Legend of Boggy Creek Just a lovely way to spend an evening. It's like being told a slightly spooky story by your grandpa.

My bottom five
5: Jason Goes to Hell ugh
4: Doom terrible
3: The Reeds garbage
2: Closet Space poo poo
1: Masters of Horror - Jenifer offensive

full list
1 Friday the 13th 2 Halloween 3 Nightmare on Elm Street 4 Doom 5 Kitaro 6 Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 (FRAN CHALLENGE 2) 7 Friday the 13th Part 2 8 The Strangers Prey at Night (FRAN CHALLENGE 1) 9 The Legend of Boggy Creek 10 Closet Space (FRAN CHALLENGE 3) 11 Friday the 13th Part 3 12 Child's Play (FRAN CHALLENGE 5) 13 Driller Killer (FRAN CHALLENGE 6) 14 Gamera Guardian of the Universe (FRAN CHALLENGE 7) 15 Friday the 13th Part 4 16 Gamera 2 Attack of the Legion 17 The First Purge (FRAN CHALLENGE 8) 18 Friday the 13th Part 5 19 Friday the 13th Part 6 20 The Reeds 21 Friday the 13th Part 7 22 Godzilla Planet of Monsters 23 Friday the 13th Part 8 24 The Terror 25 Lake Mungo (FRAN CHALLENGE 9) 26 Jason Goes to Hell 27 Constantine City of Demons (FRAN CHALLENGE 10) 28 Jason X (FRAN CHALLENGE 11) 29 Little Evil (FRAN CHALLENGE 4) 30 Masters of Horror - Jennifer (FRAN CHALLENGE 12) 31 The Pit and the Pendulum 32 Nightmare on Elm Street (remake) 33 Friday the 13th (the remake) 34 31 (FRAN CHALLENGE 13) 35 Castle Freak 36 Death Bed 37 The Cloverfield Paradox 38 Freddy vs Jason

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, exactly. I saw the scarecrow clip and it looks cool, but I just don't really make the time for most shows, and I'm probably not going to start for Sabrina.

People, in general, do not like the heroes of their movie/show to be any more than always good all the time, unless they are straight up reprehensible amongst other people who are also reprehensible (GoT, for instance).

I'm only through 3 episodes but Sabrinas already done some ethically questionable stuff. Usually with a justification, but still definitely not the higher path.

To be honest, I think your impression of television is a little outdated. Certainly, there's plenty of overly pure heroes out there but we're decades into a television landscape forms by immoral protaganists and flawed heroes.

But like, to each their own.

Wet Tie Affair posted:

Yeah, the first one was decent enough. Looking back at my movie lists I've seen the second one but have absolutely no memory of it.

I think the Resident Evil series goes off the rails but it does so very deliberately in a way that never gets boring. It's not good, but it's an adventure. I think 2 and 3 at least retain some of the zombie movie idea but after that it starts just being something else entirely. But if nothing else I really like the setting of 3 and if you get that far into the "plot" you'll know whether you're interested enough to follow through.

My biggest problem with the franchise is probably that it makes some huge promises at the end of the penultimate chapter and then handwaves it away in the final film. So be warned about that if you venture in.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I'm only through 3 episodes but Sabrinas already done some ethically questionable stuff. Usually with a justification, but still definitely not the higher path.

To be honest, I think your impression of television is a little outdated. Certainly, there's plenty of overly pure heroes out there but we're decades into a television landscape forms by immoral protaganists and flawed heroes.

But like, to each their own.

I think the Resident Evil series goes off the rails but it does so very deliberately in a way that never gets boring. It's not good, but it's an adventure. I think 2 and 3 at least retain some of the zombie movie idea but after that it starts just being something else entirely. But if nothing else I really like the setting of 3 and if you get that far into the "plot" you'll know whether you're interested enough to follow through.

Oh, I wasn't referring to my tastes in TV, just what I hear complained about the most on all the big shows. I'm totally cool with a show about a loving rear end in a top hat protagonist, I just talk with a lot of people that either 1) hate when a character isn't easily defined or just a plain "good person", or 2) completely miss that the character is an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread