Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

Breaking Bad is almost entirely the story of Walter White. Better Call Saul has nothing to do with Walter White. That's why I said there's a difference between prequel/sequel and "story set in the same universe"

My "splitting hairs" comment only referred to using linear time to define works of art. Cheers isn't a prequel to Frasier because it came out first, it's not a prequel to Frasier because it tells a different story, if that makes sense.

Would you say Frasier is a sequel to Cheers?

Star Wars is almost entirely the story of Luke Skywalker. The Phantom Menace has nothing to do with Anakin Skywalker. It's all about his dumb dad. I guess I see your point, yeah.

e: I'm making fun of you because of how far and how thoroughly BCS goes out of its way at times to set up Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cheers wouldn't be a prequel to Frasier because it's not dedicated to establishing an element of Frasier. It wouldn't even be a true spin-off because Frasier Crane doesn't himself appear until Season 3. Better Call Saul is absolutely trying to establish elements of Breaking Bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Star Wars is almost entirely the story of Luke Skywalker. The Phantom Menace has nothing to do with Anakin Skywalker. It's all about his dumb dad. I guess I see your point, yeah.

e: I'm making fun of you because of how far and how thoroughly BCS goes out of its way at times to set up Breaking Bad.
I don't see the point in being hostile but okay man. It hurts nobody, and even has some benefit, to keep the definitions of prequel and sequel as specific as possible, unless you're just doing the "I have to win the Internet" thing.

The Star Wars Prequels are largely the story of Anakin and the circumstances that led to the OT. The OT wasn't just about Luke, it was also about Anakin's relationship to Luke and the Empire and all sorts of things that were set up in the Prequels (as bad as they were)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm only on season 6 of Cheers so I dunno yet, I'll get back to you on that one in like 2-3 years

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

I don't see the point in being hostile but okay man. It hurts nobody, and even has some benefit, to keep the definitions of prequel and sequel as specific as possible, unless you're just doing the "I have to win the Internet" thing.

The Star Wars Prequels are largely the story of Anakin and the circumstances that led to the OT. The OT wasn't just about Luke, it was also about Anakin's relationship to Luke and the Empire and all sorts of things that were set up in the Prequels (as bad as they were)

Prescriptivism is generally pretty dumb, especially when it's an aspect of language that has been thoroughly solved already and you're like the one dude quibbling over the "true" definition of the word.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In other news, I had no idea Rami Malek was Freddie Mercury in the new movie, and now I kind of want to see it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's gonna be pretty bad. It apparently glosses over his homosexuality and doesn't even mention his death from AIDS. I appear to be misinformed according to something I looked up, that's weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Freddy Mercury died on the way back to his home planet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

It's gonna be pretty bad. It apparently glosses over his homosexuality and doesn't even mention his death from AIDS. I appear to be misinformed according to something I looked up, that's weird.

I'm sure it's not great but I'm not above sneaking in to see Malek cause he is awesome

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently I was wrong about that but the film is kind of lovely in regards to his gayness according to the reviews I'm reading now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Prescriptivism is generally pretty dumb, especially when it's an aspect of language that has been thoroughly solved already and you're like the one dude quibbling over the "true" definition of the word.

But we don't disagree about the meaning of the word, we only appear to disagree about what Breaking Bad was about. I contend it's the story of Walter White and thus BCS isn't a prequel, even though it does set up several side characters that appear in BB. You disagree. It's a matter of interpretation, not fact.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It is about Walter White, but that doesn't make BCS not a prequel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the reviews say it's a by-the-numbers musical biopic. But I'm sure Rami Malek acts the hell out of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Apparently I was wrong about that but the film is kind of lovely in regards to his gayness according to the reviews I'm reading now.

Freddie was bi, not gay (just in case you didn't know that, it reads like you think he was exclusively homosexual)

Bisexual erasure is a real touchy point with me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually did not know that which makes the description of some of those scenes in the reviews I'm reading EXTRA hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Phoebe is by far the most attractive person on Friends. Like it's not even close.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arist posted:

iirc word was the band didn't want to focus on/be explicit about Freddie dying from AIDS. That as well as the movie being more about the band than the man is why Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out.

I'll watch it 'cause I bet Malek does well, but it's also a Bryan Singer movie so :shrug: more excited about the Elton John flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The reviews I'm reading say it's way more about Freddie than the band, but that it doesn't have much interesting to say about him

But Rami Malek tho

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's just the prequel to the The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could see a Freddie movie coming out on HBO or something in a few years

It could cut away every time a Queen song or band member is about to appear so they don't have to put up with Brian May's revisionist bullshit

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Why would you do a movie about one of the greatest singers/bands ever, and focus exclusively on drugs and orgies? Sacha Baron Cohen would have been perfect in the role, but the movie he wanted to make sounds terrible.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Prequels are about the same main characters as the original work when you can plausibly tell an older story about those characters, and about other characters when you can't. It's not really that complicated.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I guess we need a word for spinoff that happens chronologically earlier but isn't about the same character.

Like, the internet really really needs that distinction right about now lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I want a term for a sequel that discards all bad previous sequels since that's the new hot thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

I guess we need a word for spinoff that happens chronologically earlier but isn't about the same character.

Like, the internet really really needs that distinction right about now lol

Extended Universe!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

bull3964 posted:

I want a term for a sequel that discards all bad previous sequels since that's the new hot thing.

Squeakuel

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

soft reboot sequel?

Everyone loves a soft reboot!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
better call saul is actually a sandwich

:colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

better call saul is actually a sandwich

:colbert:

I'm thinking it's more of a pizza.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

esperterra posted:

iirc word was the band didn't want to focus on/be explicit about Freddie dying from AIDS. That as well as the movie being more about the band than the man is why Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out.

I'll watch it 'cause I bet Malek does well, but it's also a Bryan Singer movie so :shrug: more excited about the Elton John flick.

I saw one review where the reviewer seemed to be under the impression Freddie did all the music himself for the group and I just had to shake my head.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm thinking it's more of a pizza.

That you cut yourself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lycus posted:

That you cut yourself.

Nice thinking Todd!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Until like a week ago Netflix was famous for never cancelling anything

• Lilyhammer
  • Hemlock Grove
  • Marco Polo
  • Bloodline
  • Sense8
  • Love
  • Lady Dynamite
  • Flaked
  • The Get Down
  • Haters Back Off
  • Disjointed
  • Girlboss
  • Gypsy
  • Everything Sucks

And that's just a sample.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Half of Better Call Saul is about how a major supporting character in Breaking Bad became the person we see on that show, and the other half is largely about how the main criminal organisations we see in Breaking Bad are set up. It’s definitely a prequel.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

less laughter posted:

The Get Down

i loved that show

:smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao Girlboss got a second season?!

Sense8 was awesome and doesn't deserve to be on that list of mostly terrible shows (Love is great too)

Edit oh never mind, that's a list of shows that they eventually did cancel, I was confused because most of those shows got way more seasons than they should have, so I thought the point was "they didn't even immediately cancel all this garbage"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

Lmao Girlboss got a second season?!

Sense8 was awesome and doesn't deserve to be on that list of mostly terrible shows (Love is great too)

Edit oh never mind, that's a list of shows that they eventually did cancel, I was confused because most of those shows got way more seasons than they should have, so I thought the point was "they didn't even immediately cancel all this garbage"

That was the point I was making. Hemlock Grove got 3 seasons.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Love concluded, right? It wasn't, "surprise, you're cancelled"?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lycus posted:

Love concluded, right? It wasn't, "surprise, you're cancelled"?

That's just PR speak, prematurely dead is prematurely dead. If Netflix would've given them 7 seasons do you think they would've declined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix just added 45 random episodes of Jeopardy :shrug: