Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did you not draw the Ice-bear blade in your first few? Enjoy grinding longer than the entire story campaign to max her stats out and be unable to use her the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like XB2 is actually fairly decently paced unless you want to 100% then it’s a nightmare.

This. If you just do sidequests as you feel like doing them and don't worry about getting every single blade then it's a really, really long JRPG instead of an insane 150+ hour grindathon

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I recall it being insanely slow paced with a ton of slow clunky cutscenes and redundant dialogue, even without getting into the gacha grind

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tender Bender posted:

I recall it being insanely slow paced with a ton of slow clunky cutscenes and redundant dialogue, even without getting into the gacha grind

Yeah you remembered wrong. You don’t even need to gotcha grind. You can beat the game with just what the game gives you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Like most JRPGs, XBC2 would be better if the game was condensed to remove like 30% of the play time

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah you remembered wrong. You don’t even need to gotcha grind. You can beat the game with just what the game gives you.

That's why I said, even without getting into the gacha grind

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tender Bender posted:

That's why I said, even without getting into the gacha grind

Oh well even then the game doesn’t have that many or that large of cutscenes. No more than most.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Does the xb2 prequel fix the horrible audio mixing in combat that gives me a headache

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I went in to xb2 knowing there was gacha but not knowing anything about any of the rare blades. I never got mad because I didnt get a certain blade because I didn't know they existed. It was just a cool perk when I occasionally got geologist axe girl or big tit ice bunny or death gun doll girl.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Reality Pisser posted:

Does the xb2 prequel fix the horrible audio mixing in combat that gives me a headache

Nope, it's actually a bit worse because your rear guard now has active skill barks and it's possible to have even more characters out at once (possibly up to 8).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The only good Xeno* game is the original Xenogears. Throw the rest in the garbage.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Been thinking of getting a LAN/USB adapter + ethernet cable in preparation for Smash. Are they all created equal or are there some I should aim to get/avoid?

If it makes any difference to you, a good WiFi network should only add ~2 milliseconds of ping. You might consider saving your money

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 31, 2018

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Barudak posted:

Yeah, but is one of the most voluminous blehs. It takes multiple hours to even fight something and its not like the pace appreciably picks up from then.

What it lacks in exciting gameplay, it makes up in tedium.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Nope, it's actually a bit worse because your rear guard now has active skill barks and it's possible to have even more characters out at once (possibly up to 8).

I had to stop playing a bit after the first real boss fight because of the layered cacophony. It was surreal.

Not a bad game though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh well even then the game doesn’t have that many or that large of cutscenes. No more than most.

I'll refer you to the YouTube Playlist "Xenoblade Chronicles 2, all main story cutscenes" which has 172 videos, most of which are 4+ minutes long and many are longer.

I honestly don't remember much of the game but here's my impressions from the thread while I was playing it.

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if I'm gonna finish this. Starting chapter 7 and I'm actually ok with the gacha at this point but the incredibly meandering script is wearing me down. Every cutscene is like three times as long as it needs to be because they pause between every line and keep repeating themselves while saying nothing of value. But you can't skip them because I do want to know what happens, I just wish they wouldn't spend five minutes on yet another conversation about how Rex cares about Pyra and is going to take her to Elysium.

Tender Bender posted:

Yea, I do like the characters, setting, etc, which is what makes it kind of frustrating. There's genuinely good and funny stuff in there too. I've lost track of the number of times I zoned out halfway through an 8 minute cutscene only to be like "Wait what, I think they just said something important".

Tender Bender posted:

I'm in what feels like the ramp up to the endgame (chapter 8), and the sheer density of cutscenes is driving me crazy. Especially because the Torna B team seems to be getting more screen time and every cutscene involving them just has me questioning whether I'm having a stroke or if I'm actually not supposed to understand what they're talking about since they seem to speak only in non sequiturs about things I haven't learned yet.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'd maybe share the sentiment if I'd been in a coma for 20 years and never played a JRPG.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I'll refer you to the YouTube Playlist "Xenoblade Chronicles 2, all main story cutscenes" which has 172 videos, most of which are 4+ minutes long and many are longer.

I honestly don't remember much of the game but here's my impressions from the thread while I was playing it.

Like I said fairly standard.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the plot in a game is dragging you down and the game has cutscene skip, just skip the cutscenes. Its ok, games are designed now a days assuming you have no memory of anything that transpired in the cutscene.

If it doesnt have cutscene skip grind it up and mail it to the devs with a threatening letter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you want a game with redundant scenes look at persona 5. There are long messages that are just restating the plot.

Multiple times in the same week.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Healbot posted:

I'd maybe share the sentiment if I'd been in a coma for 20 years and never played a JRPG.

Eh? JRPG stories are always a convoluted, janky mess that contradict themselves and defy all sense of logic (in other words, Bad)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you want a game with redundant scenes look at persona 5. There are long messages that are just restating the plot.

Multiple times in the same week.

I quit the game when i got like 12 goddamn unskippable messages asking if we really succeeded after a dozen cutscenes asking if we would succeed proceeded by lengthy debates on how we could succeed.

Then the process started all over again as if everyone had their memories wiped and thay loving cat told meno gonto bed.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

The only good Xeno* game is the original Xenogears. Throw the rest in the garbage.

If it makes any difference to you, a good WiFi network should only add ~2 milliseconds of ping. You might consider saving your money

My WiFi is good, it's the Switch that's the issue. When it's good, it's good, but sometimes it's just poo poo. I dunno if it's distance or what but when Smash comes out I'll want it to work consistently

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Eh? JRPG stories are always a convoluted, janky mess that contradict themselves and defy all sense of logic (in other words, Bad)

No? Most are fairly simple especially XB2 which has probably the simplest story of most games

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SettingSun posted:

I had to stop playing a bit after the first real boss fight because of the layered cacophony. It was surreal.

Not a bad game though.

Yeah like XC1 was already chatty as hell to begin with, and then they not only doubled the number of active characters but also added Gramps + the announcer (which you can turn off at least) and didn't filter out ANY of it.

And like, it's actually really important to be able to pick out the important vocal lines (mostly blade switches and specific active skills). I was really hoping we'd get a 'everyone shut up unless it's important' option at some point but it never happened.

Tender Bender posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the odd plot pacing and organization issues related to the late game stuff (especially Ch 7-8) is because they originally intended for the contents of Torna to be played in-between chapters 7 and 8 to break things up and cover some of the back story in a much less clunky way. A lot of stuff like that probably got hit hard due to the time/personnel constraints.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

No? Most are fairly simple especially XB2 which has probably the simplest story of most games

Nah, go kill 8 robot masters is simple. Even if the overarching plot to a jrpg is relatively simple, for some reason presentation and delivery are very rarely up to snuff in rpgs.

I don't know why and I wish it wasn't always like this but it be like it do

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a terrible game because it certainly looks like one with how they butchered the character design.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Nah, go kill 8 robot masters is simple. Even if the overarching plot to a jrpg is relatively simple, for some reason presentation and delivery are very rarely up to snuff in rpgs.

I don't know why and I wish it wasn't always like this but it be like it do

I mean most are pretty good? Even XB2 does it fairly well until the late game info dump but that is more of a production issue.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

To be clear my main complaint isn't that the plot is a convoluted, janky mess, it's that the game takes so long to say the same thing over and over, and what it's saying isn't particularly interesting. In most jrpg's you get a midgame twist or learn something that turns your quest on its head. In Xenoblade 2, you start out trying to take Pyra to elysium, you end by taking Pyra to elysium, and the end villain is the guy that was the main villain in the beginning of the game.

There's no reason for this game to be as padded and over-explanatory as it is, which unfortunately I didn't realize before playing it.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the odd plot pacing and organization issues related to the late game stuff (especially Ch 7-8) is because they originally intended for the contents of Torna to be played in-between chapters 7 and 8 to break things up and cover some of the back story in a much less clunky way. A lot of stuff like that probably got hit hard due to the time/personnel constraints.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. The Torna Team is baffling in how they suddenly become characters and take up a bunch of screen time without actually doing anything. And the endgame "reveal", while fleshing out the world a bit, doesn't really recontextualize what you're doing in a meaningful way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I'm glad Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a terrible game because it certainly looks like one with how they butchered the character design.

Best game on the switch.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Your Computer posted:

It's my deepest switch regret. I forced myself through 15 hours until I admitted to myself that this type of rpg just loving sucks so much. Don't even get me started on the character design, cutscenes, gacha bullshit, terrible map that required multiple patches, the list goes on. All of that I could have looked past if I found the core gameplay loop fun. It just doesn't feel good or rewarding to play

Who even has nostalgia for PS2 era mmo style single player RPGs?? I blame you all for this gameplay style not dying a horrible death

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm loving the ying yang between our responses there, charles

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Your Computer posted:

It's so bad. XB2 may be mechanically miles ahead of the original but good lord I can't stand to look at a majority of its cast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

I'm loving the ying yang between our responses there, charles

Yeah, different tastes and all that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The game sold incredibly well so it's definitely a lot of people's cup of tea. For me it's either turn based rpg, action rpg, or bust. I even tried to get into card based rpgs but none are as good as the Pokemon one on GBC :sigh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

It's so bad. XB2 may be mechanically miles ahead of the original but good lord I can't stand to look at a majority of its cast.

Yeah I'm just bitter because of this. I like a lot of jrpgs and even enjoy grinding and dumb plots but I just... I just can't.

KingSlime posted:

I even tried to get into card based rpgs but none are as good as the Pokemon one on GBC :sigh:
whoa, why isn't there a Pokémon TCG on the Switch

Nintendo, please

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KingSlime posted:

The game sold incredibly well so it's definitely a lot of people's cup of tea. For me it's either turn based rpg, action rpg, or bust. I even tried to get into card based rpgs but none are as good as the Pokemon one on GBC :sigh:

To be fair XB2 effectively plays like an action RPG once you get all your tools.

It does take a bit to long to get them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, different tastes and all that.

That's not allowed

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Your Computer posted:

Yeah I'm just bitter because of this. I like a lot of jrpgs and even enjoy grinding and dumb plots but I just... I just can't.

whoa, why isn't there a Pokémon TCG on the Switch

Nintendo, please

There's even a new one for tablets in the play store right now, they just have to port it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

There's even a new one for tablets in the play store right now, they just have to port it

Its not a single player thing though, right? Its actual online pvp

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just want the combat system to be simpler. Anyway that's why I only gave XBC1 a brief attempt and never came back to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

To be clear my main complaint isn't that the plot is a convoluted, janky mess, it's that the game takes so long to say the same thing over and over, and what it's saying isn't particularly interesting. In most jrpg's you get a midgame twist or learn something that turns your quest on its head. In Xenoblade 2, you start out trying to take Pyra to elysium, you end by taking Pyra to elysium, and the end villain is the guy that was the main villain in the beginning of the game.

I mean, you're kind of missing the entire point here in a major way.

Malos ISN'T the main villain of the game at all, even if he's the final boss. Amalthus is without question the main villain and is directly responsible for everything that happens. He's directly responsible for why Malos is a genocidal maniac. He's entirely responsible for Jin's change in character and what happens to Addam & Lora. He's entirely responsible for the war between Uraya and Mor Ardain (and subsequently Gormott but that's essentially over at the start of the game) as well as Tantal being converted into what is effectively a weapons factor. He's entirely the reason why the world is falling apart to begin with. He's got his fingers in a hundred different atrocities, and he's effectively both immortal and entirely immune to blades.

Like, most of the main story is about Rex and company traveling around the world and learning about the state of things, and growing as characters. And all the places you visit and see are tied together by that main thread of everyone being played against each other by Amalthus. Every chapter in the game is a part of that in some major or minor way, even though it's not overtly obvious why when you first get there.

Like as an example, you can look at what seems like an odd plot tangent in Chapter 4 about Bana profiteering on the war via selling artificial blades (including Tora's family, Poppy QT, Lila, etc). But that plot thread is actually very important to the main story because it's Torna's entire battle plan against Amalthus, they're having the artificial blades created because they're immune to Fan la Norn's powers, which is basically what stops Torna from just going and kicking the poo poo out of Amalthus to begin with.

Also regarding Pyra, her reasons for going to Elysium change completely by the time you actually get there, as does like everything else about the situation and reasons for doing what you're doing.

If you haven't played Torna, it makes all of this stuff about 1000% more obvious and in the forefront of everything. Which is again, why they intended for all of that content to happen between Chapters 7&8.