Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Keeshhound posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should keep colonists in flak vests, simply because they protect vital organs in case of bullshit (manhunters, getting caught on the edge of a map by a raid, etc.) without slowing them down too much. If I'm remembering my math right, a default, heathy colonist has 4.6 move speed, and the vest reduces that by .12, or a little under 3%. And yes, that adds up, so it's ultimately down to how optimized you want to be vs. how safe you want to be.

Also, I'm pretty sure devilstrand pants and dusters completely obsolete flak pants and vests, as far as sharp resist goes.

I honestly don't know why devilstrand still exists now that flak clothing is around. It should really just be repurposed into the heat-resistant but otherwise not better than normal clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Flak is quicker to make but slows colonists down. Devilstrand requires an investment of time and farmspace (ideally covered, so you can't get hosed over by fallout.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Probably gets asked a lot, but are there any mods that are considered "must haves" even for a new player?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
No, the game is great vanilla and even hundreds of hours later I prefer it that way.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Sten Freak posted:

Thanks!

1.0 looks pretty good so far but the friendly fire mod is a necessity imo unless he baked it into core and it's not obvious.

I found its a good idea to go to your Steam Rimworld subscribed mods page and sort by 'Date Updated' in your workshop subscriptions list. check anything thats before October, and click it. its likely they did the B19/1.0 split and you are still subbed to their B19 version. Psychology is a mod that did this as an example.

Avoid Friendly Fire, says its updated to 1.0
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1134165362

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The game is great without mods, I'd say if you're a new player go in vanilla. There's already tons to do and there's nothing that absolutely requires modding to fix in the game. There are lists in the last couple pages that people posted for some QOL stuff that's pretty minor and doesn't drastically change the game but I didn't even consider mods until I put ~80hrs into the game already because it's so great without em.

Edit: I went back to find the post when I asked about this after coming back for 1.0.

Vengarr posted:

Mind you, some of these haven't been updated since 1.0 just dropped today. But they're all actively supported and probably will be up pretty soon, since they just need to be recompiled.

Quality of life stuff:
1. Colony Manager. Adds a "Manager" job and tab. If you have a pawn with the Management job enabled, and you have a desk for him/her to work at, you can set up repeating jobs for Hunting, Logging, Mining, Animal Taming, Butchering, etc.
2. Medical Tab, Relations Tab. Just makes information easier to read/find.
3. Simple Bulk Cooking. Skilled enough cooks can cook in bulk to reduce micromanagement. Simple.
4. Interaction Bubbles. Lets you see what pawns are talking about without having to flip back to the Social screen.
5. Color-Coded Mood Bars. More information at a glance, so you can see who is (the most) unhappy.
6. Avoid Friendly Fire. Colonists won't shoot if they might hit a friendly, unless you order them too. Much more natural behavior and reduces micromanagement.
7. Quality Builder. You can designate a minimum quality for a piece of furniture, and your colonist will just keep trying till he nails it. Worthwhile when you have a skilled pawn and you're willing to burn materials until you get a Masterwork whatever, it just reduces micromanagement.
8. Defensive Positions. Break your colonists into hotkeyed squads that can be deployed to pre-set positions at the push of a button. Makes getting defenders to the barricades much less of a chore.

New features/items:
1. Prepare Carefully. If you want to make your own gimmick runs, or bring your whole family out to the Rim or whatever, this is still the king.
2. A Dog Said... Lets you perform surgery on animals.
3. Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering (EPOE). Does what it says. It really opens up the medical side of the game a lot.
4. Hospitality. Lets you entertain, befriend, and recruit visitors from other factions. Visitors are pretty pointless without this mod.
5. Centralized Climate Control. Mostly just makes heating and cooling the base less of a pain in the rear end.
6. Fishing. Lets you fish, typically for fish. Mostly makes coastal starts a little nicer.
7. Android Tiers. This one adds so much content its crazy. Robotic colonists, a human-hating Android faction, robotic dogs and Muffalos, all kinds of stuff. The Androids are expensive to make and have crappy skills at low tiers, but they don't need to sleep(!!) and they're more durable than humans so it balances out. It has some prerequisites that you have to install first.
8. Rimfridge. In the grim darkness of the far future, we can install refrigerators to keep our meals, beer and medicine cold. They don't have big enough storage to replace the usual walk-in freezers, they're just a welcome supplement.

And those aren't all of the good ones, just the ones I've personally tested and enjoyed. If you go over to the Workshop and search by Most Subscribed you'll find loads of good stuff. I've never even tried playing with the Glittertech or Medieval Times mods, which seem like they add a lot of neat content to the tribal and Spacer eras. That'll probably be my next colony. I don't run Quarry, which lets you mine resources indefinitely, even though it's great--because my interest in a colony usually runs out before the resources do. There's a whole series of Rimsenal mods that add a ton of weapons to play with. Psychology is a crazy ambitious overhaul of how Colonists' brains work that I've never tried because it conflicts with some of my other stuff, but people seem to really like it.

And of course, you've got poo poo.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 31, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

No, the game is great vanilla and even hundreds of hours later I prefer it that way.

Definitely this. At least play the default scenario and take one tribal start to high-tech before you start experimenting with mods.

One cool setting is the "Lovecraft mod pack" but that definitely is for the advanced players who like the lore in general.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cool, thanks.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

The only thing I can think of in opposition to this for a new player is that there are a couple of UI mods like colored mood bars and allow tool that do make the game a little clearer and certain tasks less of a pain (blights :argh:)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Keeshhound posted:

The only thing I can think of in opposition to this for a new player is that there are a couple of UI mods like colored mood bars and allow tool that do make the game a little clearer and certain tasks less of a pain (blights :argh:)

Yeah the only stuff I can really think of is just very minor quality of life things. But for stuff like that you can just play Vanilla and if something annoys you, just check to see if a mod changes it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Meridian posted:

Probably gets asked a lot, but are there any mods that are considered "must haves" even for a new player?

There are mods for most things, so if you ever sit and wonder, "I'd like to be refining tiberium to use against the Galactic Empire while riding my fully bionic tyrannosaur, also, I'm an Asari warlock of Cthulu" you can

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Meridian posted:

No. Play the vanilla game until you think "this feature annoys me/I wish I could do X" and then find a mod for it. Rinse and repeat.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so, I'm trying to train up a doctor by having him put a peg leg on a prisoner. And then I think he hosed up so bad he gave himself a peg leg. Either that or I really messed up when assigning surgeries or he already had it. But I'm pretty sure he's just that bad of a doctor.

Edit. I checked, I didn't tell anyone to give him a peg leg, and he didn't already have one. He hosed up a surgery so badly that he replaced his own goddamn leg what the gently caress.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 31, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Meridian posted:

Prepare Carefully is the only one I'd consider a "must have" because no game, I don't want 8 pyromaniacs with chem addictions every game, why would you think I do!? I can use it to just create 3 starting characters that aren't useless instead of rerolling 25 times until I finally get a miner, a farmer and someone who can shoot a gun that also won't set my base on fire or constantly flip out. Those crazy pawns can randomly join my colony later, I want a stable 3 to build around!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A Moose posted:

so, I'm trying to train up a doctor by having him put a peg leg on a prisoner. And then I think he hosed up so bad he gave himself a peg leg. Either that or I really messed up when assigning surgeries or he already had it. But I'm pretty sure he's just that bad of a doctor.

Edit. I checked, I didn't tell anyone to give him a peg leg, and he didn't already have one. He hosed up a surgery so badly that he replaced his own goddamn leg what the gently caress.

Sounds like your doctor was taking his own doses of space-ketamine.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

deathbagel posted:

Prepare Carefully is the only one I'd consider a "must have" because no game, I don't want 8 pyromaniacs with chem addictions every game, why would you think I do!? I can use it to just create 3 starting characters that aren't useless instead of rerolling 25 times until I finally get a miner, a farmer and someone who can shoot a gun that also won't set my base on fire or constantly flip out. Those crazy pawns can randomly join my colony later, I want a stable 3 to build around!

I probably played a few hundred hours stretching back from 2014 or so and this was the only mod I used during most of time. Same with deathbagel, I used it so that once I had a decent starting set I could save them and quickly reload a new game without rolling characters if I started on a map I didn't like or, more often, did something stupid at the start of the game and got them all killed quickly. I often name them after whatever music I'm listening to at the moment and have fond memories of my preset with Oneohtrix, Point and Never and there horrible sagas learning how to play in no grow season tundra maps.

Keeshhound posted:

Now that I've started messing around with a few other mods, I highly recommend these (and the thought bubble one). Dealing with blight is probably the single worst part of the vanilla game now, after "allow all" was coded into the base game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Moose posted:

so, I'm trying to train up a doctor by having him put a peg leg on a prisoner. And then I think he hosed up so bad he gave himself a peg leg.

I laughed way too loving hard at this. Is that even possible?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i mean i didn't think it would be but just

i can't even

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Vasudus posted:

I think I need to start on at least 300x300. I just did a 275x275 or whatever the higher medium one is and I had the entire place stripped to the wires by year 2.5 or so.

It doesn't help that I had a toxic fallout for two seasons in two years, causing me to go into a mad frenzy to harvest every plant and animal on the screen as I could before the fallout killed it.
One alternative you might consider is perhaps downgrading one map size notch, adjusting the number of allowed colonies to 2 in the options menu, and making yourself a series of mining outposts to ship goods back whether by drop pod or caravan. A small mining outpost stripping maps clean in addition to deep mining will keep you rolling in stuff for quite a while. Downside is that if you're not relatively diligent in shipping stuff back home, the outpost might attract too big a raid to handle.

Otherwise, the logistics shouldn't be that big an issue.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

A Moose posted:

If I'm not using any mods for armor and defensive positions, is it better to have a stockpile of armor near the killbox or just have everyone wear flak vests and helmets all the time and replace when necessary? I like the idea of an armor rack but with the changes to the time it takes to put on armor sometimes by the time everyone makes it to the rack and gets changed the enemy is already in the killbox. Or do you guys have dedicated soldiers that always wear armor? What's the best way for various colony sizes?

I don't worry about optimization and just keep them in armour all the time. I don't worry about if they can go any faster, I just account for it if it's a problem down the line.

Meridian posted:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No. Play the vanilla game until you think "this feature annoys me/I wish I could do X" and then find a mod for it. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, this ^^^^ just play until you notice something is a problem, look for a mod, crack on. Inevitably along the way you'll see something else cool but you can dip in and out of mods to see what you like, but yeah just stick to vanilla for now.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I'll disagree with the mod purists: you should play a vanilla game first to understand the basics, but there are a ton of cool mods and if you go to the Steam workshop and sort by "most subscribed" pretty much everything on the first couple of pages is worth considering (except for anything that looks like it has anime in the thumbnail)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I'll throw my hat in for "pick everything off the first few pages of the most subscribed list" at least for one game, it gives you a good sense of just how loving idiotic you can get with mods for this dumb game. Almost everything loads on top of each other and the game will happily send your high tech space commando faction to fight your loving wizard colony riding dinosaurs in a tiberium infested hellhole.

You don't need to use mods to make the game fun but you can absolutely make it a new kind of fun by just kitchen sinking it to hell and back, and you'll get a feel for what mods are most balanced. If anything I would suggest staying away from mods that just give you loads of free poo poo and/or add stupid farming multipliers, the only thing the game really needs to work is a degree of resource scarcity for your colony, but otherwise it'll adjust difficulty for you fairly well and load anything you give it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 31, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can break the game over your knee if that's what you're interested in, but most of the major content mods are not well-balanced, well-implemented, or well-maintained. I'd only recommend you make your game unrecognizable from vanilla Rimworld if vanilla Rimworld is really not what you're after. I think it's important to at least know what vanilla is like before you start slapping a hundred mods on it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Definitely play the game vanilla for your first hundred hours. Mod when you start getting bored or you want to come back to the game. I don't think I could play without the expanded augmentation stuff to turn my best guys into cyber ninjas.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Heads up, Psychology got an official 1.0 release! I don't know if anything's changed besides getting rid of the version related red errors, but if you're starting a new map you might as well switch up

E: Trip Report, I replaced the 1.0 version in my load order and so far my save's working fine! :buddy:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2018

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thank you all very much for the responses. I really appreciate the info. I am considering recording my first attempt for posterity, might be a fun thing to look back on.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

Heads up, Psychology got an official 1.0 release! I don't know if anything's changed besides getting rid of the version related red errors, but if you're starting a new map you might as well switch up

E: Trip Report, I replaced the 1.0 version in my load order and so far my save's working fine! :buddy:

You can also combine with Rainbeau's Rational Romance mod, Psychology turns off what it does automatically when another mod is present.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Meridian posted:

Thank you all very much for the responses. I really appreciate the info. I am considering recording my first attempt for posterity, might be a fun thing to look back on.

Ha that’s not a bad idea!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Keeshhound posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should keep colonists in flak vests, simply because they protect vital organs in case of bullshit (manhunters, getting caught on the edge of a map by a raid, etc.) without slowing them down too much. If I'm remembering my math right, a default, heathy colonist has 4.6 move speed, and the vest reduces that by .12, or a little under 3%. And yes, that adds up, so it's ultimately down to how optimized you want to be vs. how safe you want to be.

Also, I'm pretty sure devilstrand pants and dusters completely obsolete flak pants and vests, as far as sharp resist goes.

Flak vests are always useful because they go on the middle layer as opposed to the outer(duster) or skin(shirt) layer. Flak jackets and pants are more questionable.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I see all your images with like 15 colonists and I can't deal with taking care of more than 6 or 7. I just like a chill little commune where people build things and sell things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Keeshhound posted:

Flak is quicker to make but slows colonists down. Devilstrand requires an investment of time and farmspace (ideally covered, so you can't get hosed over by fallout.

Devilstrand doesn't need sunlight?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Sunlamps would work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless they changed it recently you still need sunlight but it's quite easy to supply if you just put a sunlamp in and a solar panel outside.

Because the solar panel gathers sunlight during the day and the sunlamp runs during the day, so it doesn't actually need batteries or constant power supply. Think of solar panels/sunlamps as basically pumped sunlight.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Really, having a hothouse of some kind is a pretty good idea regardless of your biome, but especially in any that have winters.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Something tells me Beck's debate didn't speculate that his head would be shot clean off by a mechanoid charge lance. Yikes :stare:

So long guy, at least you get to be with your daughter now. Not that I'm sure you really cared. Never once saw you visit her grave.... Psychopaths. :shrugs:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My new colony with 3 won’t cook pawns may survive. The first solo raider was captured and can cook, though he hasn’t been recruited yet. Meanwhile the colony survives on berries, raw rice and a tiny bit of pemmican they trade for. I suppose they could eat raw meat straight from the carcass if it came to it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sten Freak posted:

My new colony with 3 won’t cook pawns may survive. The first solo raider was captured and can cook, though he hasn’t been recruited yet. Meanwhile the colony survives on berries, raw rice and a tiny bit of pemmican they trade for. I suppose they could eat raw meat straight from the carcass if it came to it.

Why not use nutrient paste?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah if you have the tech for it, you definitely should be running a meal paste machine rather than just eating raw plants/eat, especially now that food poisoning is so brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there some intro to rimworld series? I've been muddling through but I feel like there's a lot I'm missing