Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I kinda hate that one near-the-end recurring character in town is a bit of a jerk Sans, as I thought he might've actually given me his number. Asks me to look after Papyrus then calls me an idiot baby? That's beyond a prank, and into straight mean. I realise this is things tossed around a little but people still seem to have the same personality, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
recurring character:he is a bit meaner, but he probably also knows that chara is there

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

the game says upfront that this time, nothing you choose will matter and you're unable to decide how you want to be in this world

the idea will probably be toyed with in the usual way in later chapters, but i think it holds true in this one, since the Fallen Child is literally keeping Kris' SOUL in a cage

That part isn't a problem, it's interesting to see the tonal shift and what's being done with it (especially when the characters and a lot of other stuff feel so similar to Undertale)

The problem is that if that is the fallen kid, it comes out of nowhere. Even looking away from the meta-commentary aspect of it (which we shouldn't), the knife-wielding murderous psychopath child is something you'll only encounter (create) by doing a genocide run in Undertale. If you haven't done a genocide run, this is just your nice character suddenly turning into a spoopy knife child for no reason. Again, we don't actually know if this is supposed to be the fallen child/"chara" (although it's pretty obviously intended to seem that way) but if it is, it would only make sense if the player had already done both pacifist and genocide runs in Undertale.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
using all the same characters but putting them into different and uncomfortably familiar roles is probably the best way toby could have played off a sequel, because every character that came out of that lovely dog's brain became near-iconic to its fanbase to the point where a "direct" sequel or a whole new property would have gotten a chilly reception from some of them

this preserves his old designs/writing while also adding to the weird twin peaks-esque feeling of menace that pervades a lot of the more idyllic parts of the sequel

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ah yeah, that's the phrase what I was groping around for in the dark. "Twin Peaks-y" is a good way of putting this game.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm no code expert, but the page source on deltarun has this odd... obfuscated? code

code:
var getsig = function(timestamp){
  if (!timestamp) {
    timestamp = Math.round((new Date()).getTime()/1000);
  }
  var finalsig = timestamp
  var sig = timestamp
  sig = (sig >>> 16) + (sig << 16)
  sig = ((sig & 1431655765)<<1) + ((sig & 2863311530)>>>2);
  sig = sig ^ 3155784756 ^ 2033147713 ^ 980553977 ^ 662563130;
  finalsig += sig
  sig = sig ^ 2372675004 ^ 882619088 ^ 1129180875 ^ 2762088877
  finalsig -= sig
  sig = sig ^ 2700241945 ^ 1895703359 ^ 2047586388 ^ 1458655222
  finalsig += sig
  finalsig = Math.abs(finalsig)
  return [timestamp,finalsig]
}
I say obfuscated because it seems to be unnecessarily large and I can't make heads or tails of it. I know it's checking the date but it seems unnecessarily obtuse.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just finished it myself.

I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda surprised he's not selling this, even at an episodic / reduced price. Then again, I guess he might've made enough from Undertale to live comfortably?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's probably a thing where we'll wind up paying for later stuff

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Iymarra posted:

I'm kinda surprised he's not selling this, even at an episodic / reduced price. Then again, I guess he might've made enough from Undertale to live comfortably?

He still might sell 'the full game' but I wouldn't be that surprised if Radiation figured he'd made enough money and just wanted to make something for the sake of making it now that he's got a good nest egg. It's one of the benefits of being a solo game designer, being able to just decide stuff like that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Oxxidation posted:

the game says upfront that this time, nothing you choose will matter and you're unable to decide how you want to be in this world

the idea will probably be toyed with in the usual way in later chapters, but i think it holds true in this one, since the Fallen Child is literally keeping Kris' SOUL in a cage

I think the game is lying. Notice that it says it's discarding your choices at the start but it still keeps your player name. Then again your choices not mattering could just refer to it being a demo.

Some thoughts/theory:

Okay, the dark realm stuff seems to be essentially based on the games that Asriel and Chara played. 'Kris' is Chara, Raisel is Asriel, obviously. It makes sense that Gaster is around as well, since Asriel remembers Gaster when he was alive. The character that doesn't fit in this is Susie, who doesn't have any direct analogue in Undertale (unless you count Chara or something). I guess Susie fits into the Gaster stuff in Undertale.

Sans definitely is the same Sans as in Undertale, and probably knows more than he's letting on. Alphys is possibly suspicious also - somehow in this reality, she and Undyne have *never met*?

A big difference from Undertale is that there's now a clear separation between you, Kris, and Chara. In the game itself you are not playing *as Kris*, but controlling them somehow. Which is strange. Other things to note is Kris's apparently odd inability to age. It seems like Kris has been stuck in school for eight years???

I'm pretty sure that people's first impression about the ending is wrong.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 31, 2018

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Also, what was with Raisel looking more like... Toriel at the end?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tithin posted:

I'm no code expert, but the page source on deltarun has this odd... obfuscated? code

:words:

I say obfuscated because it seems to be unnecessarily large and I can't make heads or tails of it. I know it's checking the date but it seems unnecessarily obtuse.

I think it's just to prevent people from hotlinking the download. The server redirects to the homepage if https://www.deltarune.com/download/win/en is requested with no timestamp or signature, or if the timestamp is too old even if the signature matches, so a shared hotlink will quickly expire and just send people to the homepage.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Undyne had no eyepatch in her cop-form either. Really reads as an alt-universe.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fangz posted:

A big difference from Undertale is that there's now a clear separation between you, Kris, and Chara. In the game itself you are not playing *as Kris*, but controlling them somehow. Which is strange. Other things to note is Kris's apparently odd inability to age. It seems like Kris has been stuck in school for eight years???

i don't think Kris is unaging. toriel even refers to times when they were a small child. the school also has a kindergarten in it where toriel teaches, so they may have been attending this same school for 8 years, just because it doesn't have the normal Elementary, Middle, and High school split.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 31, 2018

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

You know what other game reused character designs but gave them different personalities? Majora's Mask. Now let me tell you my theory about Termina, the Dark Realm and how the three triangles on the delta rune logo relate to the Triforce,

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

using all the same characters but putting them into different and uncomfortably familiar roles is probably the best way toby could have played off a sequel, because every character that came out of that lovely dog's brain became near-iconic to its fanbase to the point where a "direct" sequel or a whole new property would have gotten a chilly reception from some of them

this preserves his old designs/writing while also adding to the weird twin peaks-esque feeling of menace that pervades a lot of the more idyllic parts of the sequel

It gives me a real Majora's Mask vibe, and I love Majora's Mask so that feels awesome.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Procrastine posted:

You know what other game reused character designs but gave them different personalities? Majora's Mask. Now let me tell you my theory about Termina, the Dark Realm and how the three triangles on the delta rune logo relate to the Triforce,
I must've had the biggest brain fart because I could not remember what it reminded me of. :cripes: As a huge fan of Majora's Mask - yes.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It gives me a real Majora's Mask vibe, and I love Majora's Mask so that feels awesome.
:yeah:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The thing about your choices not mattering at all this time around makes perfect sense when you remember that before you even started playing... you agreed to accept whatever happens.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Samovar posted:

I don't think anything was specifically up with that. Raslei just has a magic hat that perfectly shadows his whole face. He always was a goat kid.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it... was good

i better make sure i have money when the full thing comes out in thirty years

boy the hospital scene and talking to noelle afterward about her mom sure comes in through the wall like a loving truck huh

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samovar posted:

He's alt-universe Asriel; Raisel is an anagram.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
undertale 1 quote:
"Our reports showed a massive anomaly in the timespace continuum.

Timelines jumping left and right, stopping and starting. . .

Until suddenly, everything ends."

This seems like one of those timelines that jumped left or right

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Extreme unsupported theorising:

Thing at the end? That's Gaster. What is actually happening in the game is that Gaster never died, but instead is ignorantly continuing his research project that Asgore set him - obtain seven human souls. He disappeared by going into alternative realities where he will gather the souls.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Also, if you haven't already, pay attention to the stuff your party members say when you give them food/new equipment (they have little comments at the bottom of the screen, near their health)

There's no secret lore or anything, it's just really good. They each have different stuff to say about every item, as far as I could tell

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
how tf I beat jevil

is there some trick to it or do I just have to git gud

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Kris is a type of knife

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I do wonder if something was up with the room graphics getting more and more simple as you progressed in the 'underground'.

Also, yeah I clocked that ^^^

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snake Maze posted:

Also, if you haven't already, pay attention to the stuff your party members say when you give them food/new equipment (they have little comments at the bottom of the screen, near their health)

There's no secret lore or anything, it's just really good. They each have different stuff to say about every item, as far as I could tell

I liked that when I tried to equip Susie with the ribbon she said something along the lines of "Nope. I'm not a first-grader anymore."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

if you give suzy the shackle she won't let you take it back

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tetracube posted:

how tf I beat jevil

i think he's just a hard boy

you can either beat him up or spam hypnosis/pirouettes until he gets tired and pacify him, no idea which takes longer because i tapped out

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

people freaking out about Knife boy going on a killing spree obviously weren't paying attention to what toriel said when you go home. he's just taking out that knife so they can eat all the pie by themselves like an rear end in a top hat. just like they did the last time. :mad:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Tetracube posted:

how tf I beat jevil

Don't use the three-person 60% act, use the 20% act. Sometimes it'll raise jevil's attack for a turn but that's chaos! Suzie defends, Ralsei defends or heals. Get the spincake if you haven't already. Stock up on darkburgers at the shop. Get both revive mints. Past that, it's mostly just learning his patterns, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

Kris is a type of knife
Also a unisex name that really freaked me out when the game went "no, your name is kris".... which it is

Roobanguy posted:

people freaking out about Knife boy going on a killing spree obviously weren't paying attention to what toriel said when you go home. he's just taking out that knife so they can eat all the pie by themselves like an rear end in a top hat. just like they did the last time. :mad:
gender aside, I fully support this theory and it would be amazing

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

gender aside, I fully support this theory and it would be amazing

the last time you did this, you ate the whole thing! can't let the remorse of eating a whole pie after being told not to rest upon your SOUL, can you? :unsmigghh:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm not sure why people were saying earlier that asriel is dead. everyone seems to agree he's at college and there's no hint that he died. asgore makes direct reference to hanging out when asriel gets back from college.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Man I wish I knew how to datamine properly, all the fun stuff's gonna be figured in like a day.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tengames posted:

Man I wish I knew how to datamine properly, all the fun stuff's gonna be figured in like a day.

all the dialogue is just sitting in a JSON, just open that bad boy up in a text editor

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

i'm not sure why people were saying earlier that asriel is dead. everyone seems to agree he's at college and there's no hint that he died. asgore makes direct reference to hanging out when asriel gets back from college.
There seems to be some bad feelings around it and possibly some sort of incident in the past, but I don't think there was anything to say that he died. The incident might be the divorce or something completely unrelated, and the feelings over Asriel going away to college might be just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hot Take: Susie and Rasiel are going to make Toby so much loving money.