Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I know it has been mentioned in the past but i just re-read it and enjoyed it pretty highly, Gil's All Fright Diner from A Lee Martinez. A Vampire and a Werewolf pair of southern guys stumble upon a diner on the side of the road in supernatural trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kea posted:

I know it has been mentioned in the past but i just re-read it and enjoyed it pretty highly, Gil's All Fright Diner from A Lee Martinez. A Vampire and a Werewolf pair of southern guys stumble upon a diner on the side of the road in supernatural trouble.

I love Gil's All-Fright Diner, but his best work is probably The Automatic Detective or Divine Misfortune

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I love Gil's All-Fright Diner, but his best work is probably The Automatic Detective or Divine Misfortune

Very possibly but something about Gil's has always made it my favourite, Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest was also pretty fun. All of his books are fun but some are less urban fantasy than others for sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone read the newest Tim Powers, Alternate Routes? Is it any good? Powers has this thing where his good books are utterly amazing and his worse books become total stinkers.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Sounds like the Canuck's era Roberto Luongo of authors.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
I went to preorder the newest Laundry Files before its release on Tuesday...£9.99 for the kindle edition! At less than 400 pages that is just ridiculous for an e-book. I will wait a couple months and re-read the earlier books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New Kim Newman came out earlier this week and I still haven't been able to get a copy. Maybe tomorrow I'll have an opportunity.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone read the newest Tim Powers, Alternate Routes? Is it any good? Powers has this thing where his good books are utterly amazing and his worse books become total stinkers.

Stinker IMO. Real disappointment; felt like it was written by someone else.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Got all caught up on the Verus series today. How many books is this series supposed to go? Or has he even said if there's a planned length? I like it well enough, but Alex is kind of a dumbass. In nearly every book he gets played by someone, but rarely plans for that kind of eventuality. I don't know if it's Jacka trying to keep us on our toes or what, since obviously Verus is good at reacting once he does figure out what's going on, but it'd be nice if one of these times he'd have plan A, plan B, and at least give lip service to the fact that someone is manipulating him and it's possible nothing is as it seems. I think the series gets better each book though and I'll definitely be on the look out for future books. Any clue when the next one will be out?

Not sure what to read next. I'm up to date on Dresden, Rivers of London, The Rook, and now Verus. Might pickup the 2nd Sandman Slim or maybe finish off the final couple of Alera books. Could also start on Daniel Faust I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Verus is planned for 12 books.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also don't bother readin Alera past the book with the Sunbeam Laser of Mass Destuction. Because it rapidly loses tension after that point.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also don't bother readin Alera past the book with the Sunbeam Laser of Mass Destuction. Because it rapidly loses tension after that point.

Sad, but accurate.

Although the awkward family dinner scene from hell in the last book is almost worth toughing it out for, but not quite. Good setup, but Butcher can't quite pull off a comedy of manners.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sad, but accurate.

Although the awkward family dinner scene from hell in the last book is almost worth toughing it out for, but not quite. Good setup, but Butcher can't quite pull off a comedy of manners.

By that point the power creep for literally every character in the book was stupid and I really wasn't reading for any reason other than "maybe it'll be cool/awesome again" but nope. It never happened.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector 34 posted:

Not sure what to read next. I'm up to date on Dresden, Rivers of London, The Rook, and now Verus. Might pickup the 2nd Sandman Slim or maybe finish off the final couple of Alera books. Could also start on Daniel Faust I guess.

I have finally been reading the second Drearcliff Grange book over the weekend, which I've been enjoying, so I would recommend the Diogenes setting (it's not really a shared universe) by Kim Newman, which currently comprises The Man From the Diogenes Club (a compilation of stories dating back to the late 90s), Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles, The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School, Angels of Music and The Haunting of Drearcliff Grange School.

Of course Newman's main series is Anno Dracula, which I think has its own merits (I tend to enjoy the Diogenes stories more).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Okay, so The Labyrinth Index dropped today and I'm confused. I thought Jonquil was killed by a Russian soldier during the whole cemetery zombie fight thing, yet here she is in an early chapter getting on everyone's nerves.

EDIT: Nevermind, that was kind of brutal but she wasn't around long enough to matter, lol.

EDIT 2: Oh, she survived again. drat.

Welp, that was surprisingly not-depressing, even though everybody is still hosed.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 30, 2018

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Got all caught up on the Verus series today. How many books is this series supposed to go? Or has he even said if there's a planned length? I like it well enough, but Alex is kind of a dumbass. In nearly every book he gets played by someone, but rarely plans for that kind of eventuality. I don't know if it's Jacka trying to keep us on our toes or what, since obviously Verus is good at reacting once he does figure out what's going on, but it'd be nice if one of these times he'd have plan A, plan B, and at least give lip service to the fact that someone is manipulating him and it's possible nothing is as it seems. I think the series gets better each book though and I'll definitely be on the look out for future books. Any clue when the next one will be out?

Go Faust. I started at the beginning of October, on book 7 now.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Running a Dresden Files Accelerated game and one of my players wants to roll up a Libriomancer. I read the first book but it was some time between the release of Cold Days and Skin Game, so it's been a while. Does anyone remember the basics of the rules behind Libriomancy or have a write-up I can peruse? I really don't want to have to relisten to the whole dang audiobook.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I ended up starting Faust. Amazon had a sale for the entire series for around $32 so I jumped on that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

-Fish- posted:

Running a Dresden Files Accelerated game and one of my players wants to roll up a Libriomancer. I read the first book but it was some time between the release of Cold Days and Skin Game, so it's been a while. Does anyone remember the basics of the rules behind Libriomancy or have a write-up I can peruse? I really don't want to have to relisten to the whole dang audiobook.

IIRC

1. Got to be a popular book
2. Object has to fit through the page size
3. Most living things go insane
4. Anything insanely powerful should be disallowed
5. Taking too much from one book "burns" the availability of that book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Beachcomber posted:

IIRC

6. Using too much Libromancy can also "burn" the libriomancer
7. Libriomancers can be bitten/hurt/infected/possessed by the creatures in the books they're casting through

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Beachcomber posted:

IIRC

ConfusedUs posted:

6. Using too much Libromancy can also "burn" the libriomancer
7. Libriomancers can be bitten/hurt/infected/possessed by the creatures in the books they're casting through

7a. This replaces the Libriomancer's abilities with the strengths/weaknesses of the creature whose abilities they take. If said Libriomancer takes the powers of the sparkly-Twilight vampires, for example, they become functionally invincible in the Dresden-verse.
8. Don't allow Libriomancers into a Dresden Files universe, they will break it because their power set does not work with the rules of Magic in the Dresdenverse.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

8. Don't allow Libriomancers into a Dresden Files universe, they will break it because their power set does not work with the rules of Magic in the Dresdenverse.

9. You're not the boss of me.

Edit: Realtalk I have a pretty solid group. We can handwave away the inconsistencies and we're building the mantle in a balanced way. I know my way around homebrew.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 31, 2018

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

-Fish- posted:

9. You're not the boss of me.

Edit: Realtalk I have a pretty solid group. We can handwave away the inconsistencies and we're building the mantle in a balanced way. I know my way around homebrew.
Sounds like it would be a fun game, especially if you pull the libriomancer from when the Porters are still in business and loving around too much could get one of Gutenberg's Automatons dropped on you.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

-Fish- posted:

I know my way around homebrew.

Famous last words of many a GM.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ornamented Death posted:

Famous last words of many a GM.

Homebrew failures are but the first stepping stones on the path to homebrew success.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

anilEhilated posted:

He's basically a cut rate Pratchett; British humor, fantasy elements, really forgettable. Also his books are mostly interchangeable.
Writes some A-grade depressing fantasy as KJ Parker, though.

Tom Holt was a lawyer and there’s a lot of lawyer / junior grade white collar professional humour in his books. His main series can be summed up as “what if Harry Potter’s grown up job was basically being a magic corporate lawyer in London.” Except not in the glamorous Suits sense but what it’s really like: paperwork and annoying ambitious petty people everywhere.

Also one of them has the wonderful line about a terrible boring man droning on at his date: “But he was staring past her now, distracted by the distant glare of his own cleverness.”

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 1, 2018

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I ended up starting Faust. Amazon had a sale for the entire series for around $32 so I jumped on that.

All of his books are on Kindle Unlimited...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

He's basically a cut rate Pratchett; British humor, fantasy elements, really forgettable. Also his books are mostly interchangeable.
Writes some A-grade depressing fantasy as KJ Parker, though.

poo poo I'll read that

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

poo poo I'll read that

Some are better than others, I have read a few of them and some are more just confusing than they are funny.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

poo poo I'll read that

Try Academic Exercises.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

vulturesrow posted:

All of his books are on Kindle Unlimited...

Well poo poo, I didn't even know that was a thing. For all the crap Amazon pushes at me I'm surprised I haven't seen an ad for Kindle Unlimited.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector 34 posted:

Well poo poo, I didn't even know that was a thing. For all the crap Amazon pushes at me I'm surprised I haven't seen an ad for Kindle Unlimited.

I tried Unlimited. I canceled a month later.

It's 93% self-published trash, 5% self-published not-trash, and 2% actual stuff people recognize.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well that makes me feel a little better.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I tried Unlimited. I canceled a month later.

It's 93% self-published trash, 5% self-published not-trash, and 2% actual stuff people recognize.

Getting all the Schaefer books made it worth it. And I think you're exaggerating a wee bit. ;)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

KU is not a bad deal if you're a fan of horror. A lot of good horror authors put their work on there.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you're interested in anything on KU, the thing to do is wait until they send you a "2 months for 99 cents!" type of promotion, subscribe to it, then cancel it before it re-ups at full price.

That's more than enough time to read anything that you might want off of Kindle Unlimited, and the time between promotions just gives authors time to write more books.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

KU is not a bad deal if you're a fan of horror. A lot of good horror authors put their work on there.

Any recommendations?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

vulturesrow posted:

Any recommendations?

Jeff Strand and Adam Cesare spring immediately to mind.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Jeff Strand and Adam Cesare spring immediately to mind.

Thanks.

On a more relevant note to the thread, I'm on the third book of Sandman Slim and I'm digging the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks.

On a more relevant note to the thread, I'm on the third book of Sandman Slim and I'm digging the hell out of it.

Just be ready to put the series down after whichever book it is that Sandman Slim destroys the soul-devouring engine beneath Hell with a simple blood magic spell and damns the universe because that is never resolved.