Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Hellsau posted:

The M3 Lee is garbage and do not listen to anyone who says otherwise. If you have a 3+ skill crew and plenty of credits for gold ammo and all the modules unlocked and are already a great player with tons of map knowledge, the tank is terrible. If you're new it very well may make you quit the game, so please go ahead and play through the Lee and dissuade yourself from continuing to play World of Tanks.

I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
your tank can see tier 6 tanks that reliably oneshot it

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

True enough I suppose. I'm just more than a little salty that someone gets to have all the fun wreaking havoc as a top-tier 85M, when all I ever get is the rear end-dangling side of WG's sweaty 3/5/7 ballbag in my face while I have to go out and find Skorpion G and Defender combos on the occasions that I take my own 85M for a spin (or just being diddled by the MM in general whenever I take anything out of the garage).

loving dumb poo poo asshat game.

I hear you. My best game was in a KV-220 where more then half the enemy team was incapable of damaging me. The ones that could died early, and one of the last capable were spgs and they could only do like 50 on a direct hit. But that was one game in that, most were unremarkable or me being dunked on from a tier 6 that could ignore its armor. The 3/5/7 is now worse.
Actually thinking about, best game was pre+2/-2 mm and I had my T-54 vs a ton of tier 6 tanks that didn’t have gold rounds. I only died because I got stuck on a enemy Super Pershing. Still took like 7 people with me.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Alright gently caress that tank what should I go for?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Katamari Democracy posted:

Matilda. Then play that forever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The SU-76, SU-85i, and the low-tier US TDs have remained fun. Generally just look for tanks that are overgunned for their tier, because survivability just means you suffer longer.

The KV-1 remains the first tank you get where you feel you can really accomplish something. But when you think a new tank is good, also understand there's a 30-game "grace period" where you get better matchups to help you grind those initial vital modules. So a tank you "love" might suddenly become one you can't *buy* a win in.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Play up the Russian medium line to the t-34 and t-34-85 and use the free xp you get along the way to skip through the m3 lee. The American medium line gets better with the M4 and the jumbo Sherman. Don't be too dissuaded by the bitter vets who don't play anymore. The game can still be fun.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Found it.

Sabaton!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8MCiY44DA

I am joking of course. And I have seen the videos of it in action. That is beyond out of my league right now.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

your tank can see tier 6 tanks that reliably oneshot it

B-b-but that animu goon likes the Lee!!!

Stick to US, German, or Soviet medium or heavy tanks early on. Platoon with goons, get on Discord.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...also understand there's a 30-game "grace period" where you get better matchups to help you grind those initial vital modules. So a tank you "love" might suddenly become one you can't *buy* a win in.

Is this really true though? There were always rumors about stock tanks getting favorable matchmaking but I never saw that confirmed anywhere.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Which guy has like 10,000 M4 Lee games because they have a broken brain?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Atomizer posted:

There were always rumors about stock tanks getting favorable matchmaking but I never saw that confirmed anywhere.

Sure as poo poo doesn't apply to me. The stock TVP VTU was so much fun!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Is this really true though? There were always rumors about stock tanks getting favorable matchmaking but I never saw that confirmed anywhere.

The first 10 games in a tank the matchmaker tries to put you top tier, but it doesn't try very hard. After that it's :a2m: 100% of the time.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 1, 2018

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Get the M4 and play it with the 105mm gun. The M4 is fun and makes a lot of credits. The american mediums will be 'on track' Nov. 7th and for 19 days they will be on sale for 50%-30% and earn more xp.

And try the Soviet Heavy tanks. At first they feel slow and weak. But they do everything well enough that you never load into a game and know its going to be a bad time when you see the map or what tanks are on the other team.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I said, it's that guy with the animu girl avatar, but I don't remember his name. I'm sure it'll come back to me eventually.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Sure as poo poo doesn't apply to me. The stock TVP VTU was so much fun!

It's not any better when elite! (Nevermind that the "top" configuration isn't even necessarily the best one....)

McGavin posted:

The first 10 games in a tank the matchmaker tries to put you top tier, but it doesn't try very hard. After that it's :a2m: 100% of the time.

This is what I mean, where is the confirmation that this is true and not just some myth that we've been passing along for years?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

This is what I mean, where is the confirmation that this is true and not just some myth that we've been passing along for years?

The Chieftain said it on Reddit 2 years ago.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Imagine literally all the

No

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

M6A2E1 is a bully. Click pic for replay.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

The M3 Lee is garbage and do not listen to anyone who says otherwise.

:smug:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I just remembered his name, "Ran Kizama" or something like that. :smugdog:

Alright, thanks, this is the closest thing to substantiating that theory. Even then, it's still a little questionable (a guy who's not a dev and is more of a researcher/public personality is kinda sure it's pref MM the first 10 battles) but it's better than nothing I guess. Does he even work for WG anymore?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Duzzy Funlop confirmed for M3 Lee lover, with Ran Kizama. You love it with quality gameplay, Ran loves it with quanity.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Atomizer posted:

I just remembered his name, "Ran Kizama" or something like that. :smugdog:

Alright, thanks, this is the closest thing to substantiating that theory. Even then, it's still a little questionable (a guy who's not a dev and is more of a researcher/public personality is kinda sure it's pref MM the first 10 battles) but it's better than nothing I guess. Does he even work for WG anymore?

The first game you're always top tier (if its tier 8 its usually all same tier) and after that its all over the place. I don't buy that at all as it doesn't match my experience what so ever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Presumably, like all matchmaking metrics, the "lenient matchmaking" thing gets thrown out the window, uh, immediately.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So after vowing to never again sell the Defender in the EU, Wargaming are selling the Defender again. Basic tank + 3750 gold + 30 days of premium is 59,99€ and a more loaded package is 99,99€.

Must be rough times at Sergei's Money Bin.

E: is that thing even worth buying anymore, or has it been powercreeped to hell and back already?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 1, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Right now I am trying to save up enough credits to get my hands on the binocular telescope.

A fine idea, but don't buy it until there's an equipment sale when it's half off. This game is an endless credit crunch.

serious gaylord posted:

The first game you're always top tier (if its tier 8 its usually all same tier) and after that its all over the place. I don't buy that at all as it doesn't match my experience what so ever.

I don't think this is true anymore. I've driven a few new tanks that immediately got dumped into poo poo tier.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Der Shovel posted:

So after vowing to never again sell the Defender in the EU, Wargaming are selling the Defender again. Basic tank + 3750 gold + 30 days of premium is 59,99€ and a more loaded package is 99,99€.

E: is that thing even worth buying anymore, or has it been powercreeped to hell and back already?

It's on sale in NA as well (technically not the Defender, the unskinned Obj252U). The Defender is relatively easy to kill for good players, but with as few good players as there are around, it performs well even in average hands.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's been powercrept by MM. Tank is still OP as hell but not when it's getting clowned on by tier 10's all day.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Object 252U on sale, gives me a reason to take some time off this loving calamity of a game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Found it.

Sabaton!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8MCiY44DA

I am joking of course. And I have seen the videos of it in action. That is beyond out of my league right now.

It's kinda of a fun tank to play, slightly underpowered but the voice acting makes up for it.

Rule 1 for playing WoT: always blast Sabaton.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

2Jets posted:

Get the M4 and play it with the 105mm gun. The M4 is fun and makes a lot of credits.

Go the Jumbo route and stay with the stock turret. Good MM and it's hilarious watching everyone bounce shots off you while you HE them apart. There's one downside though, all the games the MM gives you where you are the slime on the bottom of the barrel. Stay back on those ones because that armor does dick all and your HE is about as effective as a wet fart

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Der Shovel posted:

It never was as good as people said it was unless it was top tier. Which given its tier 8 happens maybe once every 20 games? And given most games these days are 15-4 curb stomps even a Defender cant carry that. It also suffers from 'HOLY poo poo ITS A DEFENDER!!!!' so it gets loving bombarded by arty non stop the second you're spotted.

There is a video in my post history of me playing really loving dumb in it tho and still winning the game easily so....

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cheers for that. I guess the more important question is, is it fun to play?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Der Shovel posted:

It's a better version of the IS-3 with awful gun handling, so it can either be wildly fun or a total drag depending on map/MM/RNG.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The 252U is a much better IS-6 that sees tier 10s. It's very strong on tier and weak when there are lots of tier X guns around. It'll be a beast in the Tier 8 grand battles this month.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

When the game came out I played a lot of games of the tier 5 Stug. Its pretty good still and can be fun to play. Good gun, pen that handles most things, not the fastest but accelerates good. A nice little bush bitch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've been waiting for it to be available again since it was first introduced since I've needed a good crew trainer for my IS-3 / 257 / T-10 / 277, so I'm cool with that. My premium was going to expire on Sunday anyway, and that basic package with close to 4k gold and 30 days premium actually looks pretty decent.

/edit:
How do you use those 15x "orders" for 5x XP on victories, by the way? Are those automatically activated, or do you need to manually activate them like reserves?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 1, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Automatically activated IIRC.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

When the game came out I played a lot of games of the tier 5 Stug. Its pretty good still and can be fun to play. Good gun, pen that handles most things, not the fastest but accelerates good. A nice little bush bitch.

Last I played of the Stug it wasn't very good anymore due to power creep and map changes. It was fine and not a pile of poo poo like the JPz4 or JPanther, but it wasn't a versatile murder machine like the Hetzer.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Last I played of the Stug it wasn't very good anymore due to power creep and map changes. It was fine and not a pile of poo poo like the JPz4 or JPanther, but it wasn't a versatile murder machine like the Hetzer.

JP4 does suck, but the JP isn't bad at all. 200 base pen at tier 7 is very workable.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Der Shovel posted:

I mean it can be? The gun handling is really really frustrating and its got a super long reload with not great pen considering the tanks you'll face so you use a lot of apcr. On the other hand there are games where you just hold the W key and rack out 11k combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Ugghh the Hetzer, they did buff the hell out of it like what 4 or 5 years ago?