Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Fact: modeling and painting is hella good

Random question: Warlord historical figures are too small to mix with GW, right? I was looking for (cheaper) fancy hats to kit out Scions and Guard.

I shouldn't be though, I've already got a bunch of Victoria Miniatures heads for a malingering project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Felime posted:

Pay a local nerd you trust 20 bux to pin the life out of it. Morty's too cool to leave in a shoebox and I'm sure you could find someone willing to do it.

I actually haven't even gotten to field Morty once - I finished assembling him after a 40K tournament I went to in... July? No wargaming in August, and then in September I joined a Kill Team league :(

I'm hoping after the KT league my store starts a 40K Slow Grow that I can get in on, then I'll totally look into fixing him. But until then...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 31, 2018

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Sab669 posted:

I actually haven't even gotten to field Morty once - I finished assembling him after a 40K tournament I went to in... July? No wargaming in August, and then in September I joined a Kill Team league :(

I'm hoping after the KT league my store starts a 40K Slow Grow that I can get in on, then I'll totally look into fixing him. But until then...

I magnetized my Mortarions wings. Not a guide per se, but I got some images showing how I did it here - https://imgur.com/a/omxel

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

Is this fortress supposed to be one of those Abaddon absconded with?

IIRC there were 6 forts.

Abaddon took 3, the 3 remaining under Imperial control self-destructed at the end of the Gothic war.

Of the 3 Abaddon had, one was boarded (and self-destructed) after his botched attempt to supernova a star and another was crashed into Cadia. Is this the final one?

IIRC in one of the older previews, might have been the teaser video, they mention it just drifted into the galaxy recently as of current events. So if I'm right it's a new one, which means its the 7th, so get ready for new Nurgle stuff!!!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failson posted:

Random question: Warlord historical figures are too small to mix with GW, right? I was looking for (cheaper) fancy hats to kit out Scions and Guard.

I shouldn't be though, I've already got a bunch of Victoria Miniatures heads for a malingering project.

Warlord are heroic 25mm so they'll be a head shorter. Their proportions are similar though so as long as you don't mix them up too closely you might get away with it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm getting a strong Portal sentry tripod vibe off of this, and I like it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

I'm getting a strong Portal sentry tripod vibe off of this, and I like it.

I'd love a new faction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Two Beans posted:

"Why are special characters in a game of this scale?" he asked, second editionly. "Why would Marneus Calgar, Master of the Ultramarines Chapter lead just a few squads into battle??"

Honestly I think named characters are silly too.

What if its a mirror match?

Better to just have all dudes be generic "chapter master" or whatever and you each improv your own guy.

But people want to field Gulliman so here we are.

Even in games of Epic it doesn't make sense to field Gulliman at that scale.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

queef anxiety posted:

Having a great time painting but every time I walk into my local GW I meet at least one person who reminds me why I don't go in to play games. I don't know how the seemingly chill store guy puts up with the rampant lack of social awareness. Fleecing them of hundreds of dollars I guess.

I'm 50/50 for positive and negative experiences at my FLGS. Some real awful neckbeard types there though.

I mostly just play with friends and coworkers.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd love a new faction.

Old Ones/Space Slann? Or their out of control ancient machines? Or is that too close to Necrons...

EDIT: Also, not saying just saying, HG Wells War of the Worlds Martian attack vessels were walking tripods...

susan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 31, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It would make sense as a part of a larger whole, like if that 2000 point game is the final battle of a major campaign or something. But in general I hate seeing special characters in a skirmish game. I get why they're so popular and can't fault people for liking the models and the rules, but personally I prefer conflict between generic characters.

:same:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

Better to just have all dudes be generic "chapter master" or whatever and you each improv your own guy.

Let's just mash tac marines together, nothing else makes sense

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, aren't mirror matches already inherently nonsensical when it comes to Imperial forces and Tau?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Corrode posted:

Let’s not throw out the primaris with the bathwater ok?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, aren't mirror matches already inherently nonsensical when it comes to Imperial forces and Tau?

Training exercise?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I didn't know you played 30k

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Failson posted:

Anvil have many fancy hats: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/dress-uniform

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

susan posted:

Old Ones/Space Slann? Or their out of control ancient machines? Or is that too close to Necrons...

EDIT: Also, not saying just saying, HG Wells War of the Worlds Martian attack vessels were walking tripods...

Alien robot counter to Imperial Knights.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

In 2nd they helped provide distinction between Space Marine chapters. Some character, so to speak.

Still do.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Zaphod42 posted:

What if two Imperium armies fight each other? What if my Blood Angels are painted BLUE? Who loving cares. It is not better to have boring old generic guys. gently caress that. You want to play that way? Go for it. I want to play with Typhus and Mortarion fighting Girlyman and the other corpse worshipers. This is pure fantasy. 99% of my enjoyment is seeing cool models of 40k characters smashing on a table. Better for people to play whichever models they want, how they want, in anyway they please without needing to check if it adheres to the standard of some other neckbeard. None of this crap makes sense. So what?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Zaphod42 posted:

My toys fake history dont make sense

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Seems a lot of people came as sourpuss this Halloween. Awkward.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I prefer generic characters, but special characters are cool as gently caress and the only time I don't want people to use them is when I'm running a campaign and I don't want to have to write updates about loving Logan Grimnar. But even then, I accommodate them because the models are cool and playing with them is fun

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So with these rumors about looted vehicles for Orks coming in CA2018, I wonder if more than just points adjustments might be on the way

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Not even a rumor. They had a community article saying as much. Open play only though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah it got mentioned twice in the latest White Dwarf.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

So with these rumors about looted vehicles for Orks coming in CA2018, I wonder if more than just points adjustments might be on the way
There's also supposed to be a full beta test list for Sisters of Battle. Whether they actually take any feedback and incorporate it into the final product is another matter. :v:

It's too bad they can't just slap a points value on the looted wagon chassis and call it a day. You already pay for the weapons separately so it's not like it would be terribly unbalanced for matched play. I don't know anyone who bothers with power level. I certainly don't.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Looks like the tripods from the WOTW remake- out of that complete shitstain of a movie, the presentation of the tripods and the sounds were still creepy.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Flowy robot looks neat.

That is good and helpful, thank you!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

Looks like the tripods from the WOTW remake- out of that complete shitstain of a movie, the presentation of the tripods and the sounds were still creepy.

I was wondering where I'd seen the design before. Thanks!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

How would you present space slann/old ones as a new race.. Wernt they rumored in original rogue trader to live on the very outside of the galaxy>

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I like the Swarmlord’s ability to give me a second movement phase with a unit.

That is my opinion on bringing special characters to games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought Blackstone Fortresses were explicitly a Chaos thing and that tripod seems too sleek for Dark Mechanicus. Did Abbadon just discover and commandeer his?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought Blackstone Fortresses were explicitly a Chaos thing and that tripod seems too sleek for Dark Mechanicus. Did Abbadon just discover and commandeer his?

The latter. They're either pre-fall Eldar tech or Old One tech or something.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I like fielding typhus and mortarion and then making one chaos lord I have named Kevin warlord.

Squadron done!

A good gif.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Always remember that Abbadon is poo poo, and if anything cool or interesting happens in his vicinity it had nothing to do with him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

A bit, but not nearly as bad. You can easily explain like, okay, one company does something and their brothers declare them to be heretics so another company has to go clear them out.
Or if its like say Guard, maybe their local planetary governor is staging a revolt?
Or maybe there was some chaos shenanigans or...

Lots of ways to explain that. You could even explain having 2 of the same guy, but doing that more than like one time ever seems pretty contrived.

I don't know as much about Tau, that one is harder to explain. I would imagine some kind of civil war is still possible even within the Tau though.

Chucat posted:

Training exercise?

That's a good one too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

What if two Imperium armies fight each other? What if my Blood Angels are painted BLUE? Who loving cares. It is not better to have boring old generic guys. gently caress that. You want to play that way? Go for it. I want to play with Typhus and Mortarion fighting Girlyman and the other corpse worshipers. This is pure fantasy. 99% of my enjoyment is seeing cool models of 40k characters smashing on a table. Better for people to play whichever models they want, how they want, in anyway they please without needing to check if it adheres to the standard of some other neckbeard. None of this crap makes sense. So what?

Dude, chill. And by that same logic, this is pure fantasy, so let me have it my way. Its just two differing opinions. There's no inherent better way. Your way is how you would prefer it, my way is how I would prefer it.

That's all I was saying. "I don't like having named characters". You don't have to take it so personally dude. So what?

Naramyth posted:

My toys fake history dont make sense

:rolleyes:

you're posting in the 40k thread, friend.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This guy is gonna feel real silly when he finds out mods are illegal;

Those things are so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sab669 posted:

This guy is gonna feel real silly when he finds out mods are illegal;

Those things are so cool.

Yeah but does yours blow smoke and light up?

(Just kidding it’s awesome)