Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Robinson's issues as a writer have always been around. Look at basically any line of dialogue in Starman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

Robinson's issues as a writer have always been around. Look at basically any line of dialogue in Starman.

Some of it takes the cake. But the cake... has gone stale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Firearm was great.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean. There are loads of amazing writers out there -- or even just good or decent ones -- who haven't also written some of the most embarrassing dreck in the history of the medium, so I've never gotten this propensity to give strikeouts like Robinson chance after chance to swing and miss hit the ball directly into my scrotum personally over and over again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His Scarlet Witch was pretty good and just less than two years ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/1057345632321630208?s=19

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Nothing about White Knight sounded good, so as the thread's single Azrael fan that comes across more like a threat.

But Amazon says the Justice League Odyssey trade comes out in May, how's that series going?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm enjoying it, but it'll be sad to see Sejic go.

edit:
https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/1057360625159020546/photo/1
I wonder if there's gonna be a whole manga covers variant month.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 31, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know it's a Fifth Wednesday and my DC Reading List is at a recent low and all, but drat, it's been a good while since there was a week without a single DC book I wanted to read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was pretty stacked for me.
Heroes in Crisis, Drowned Earth, the end of the JLD/WW crossover, The Terrifics Annual and that weird Batman case files thing that have neat teams booked for 'em, Doom Patrol (finally!!), Wild Storm, a couple of the Hanna Barbera crossovers.

e: Two Mark Russel comics :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 31, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just read Witching Hour and uh... wow, problematic much?

They basically did the whole 'maiden mother crone' trinity aspect with bad guy Hecate and painted the crone as the bitter 'bad guy' aspect of the three who only longs for vengeance for how the maiden was treated and wants to destroy the world etc etc. and beseech Diana who's possessed by Hecate to 'not become the crone.' Unfortunately they aren't three different creatures they're three aspects of womanhood that EVERY WOMAN GOES THROUGH. So basically begging Wonder Woman to not become old and ugly and icky and full of hate for men because that's apparently what happens to every woman when she gets old and is no longer considered valuable to men for their appearance/ability to make babies.

Really, really REALLY loving tone deaf on Tynion's part. Especially in a Wonder Woman book for jah's sake.

Heroes in Crisis is loving CRAWLING. GET ON WITH THE GODDAMN STORY ALREADY JESUS. I'd like it better if it were just nine-panel after nine-panel of heroes confessing to the magic AI their deepest issues than this murder mystery bullshit. I did like how Wonder Woman and Superman were both like 'ok Bruce I dunno why you're insisting on this dog and pony show to try and convince us you just let the AI auto-erase everything told to it by every hosed up superhero in the universe because we both know you kept those recordings for one of your billion contingency plans so cough'm up already, we won't even be mad, promise' bit. And of course he says he erased it cuz he used it too and also denied he kept kryptonite in his utility belt which is later proven a lie so we're to assume he's lying about the recordings too

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HiC might be worth it if it births a supervillain named The Puddler.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
So, walk me through this (Heroes in Crisis spoilers):

So Harley lures Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman to her so she can tell them that she didn't kill everybody in Sanctuary. They think she's lying-- as in, they don't think she's telling the truth-- so a fight breaks out. In order to get an edge in this fight, she wraps Batman up in Wonder Woman's TRUTH TELLING LASSO in order to get him to reveal where he's keeping his secret krytonite, because she knows he's telling the truth if he's touching the lasso. That way she can make a bunch of super powerful people upset with her, rather than, like, just grabbing the lasso herself, holding it up, and saying she didn't kill anybody.

Am I missing something? Is this as stupid a plothole as it seems to me?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Theory #1: She's CRAZY and the belt doesn't work on her. Or she killed them, but for a secret twist reason she can't reveal. Or it's a dumb comic.

Theory #2: PUDDLERS.
Puddlers are puddling.
Puddling
Pudding L
Pudding-L
Harley Quinn is Superman's mom from Earth-2 and also the murderer.

Theory #3: The whole steel worker thing is a misdirect and puddler is just talking about someone who pisses themselves.
Batman canonically pissed himself once.
Batman admitted that to the robots and everything else is covering up that confession.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Archyduke posted:

So, walk me through this (Heroes in Crisis spoilers):

So Harley lures Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman to her so she can tell them that she didn't kill everybody in Sanctuary. They think she's lying-- as in, they don't think she's telling the truth-- so a fight breaks out. In order to get an edge in this fight, she wraps Batman up in Wonder Woman's TRUTH TELLING LASSO in order to get him to reveal where he's keeping his secret krytonite, because she knows he's telling the truth if he's touching the lasso. That way she can make a bunch of super powerful people upset with her, rather than, like, just grabbing the lasso herself, holding it up, and saying she didn't kill anybody.

Am I missing something? Is this as stupid a plothole as it seems to me?

Wait what? I’m more concerned with the implication that Harley takes on Superman, Batman,and Wonder Woman and not only isn’t immediately dispatched but somehow gets the upper hand? Seriously?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Wait what? I’m more concerned with the implication that Harley takes on Superman, Batman,and Wonder Woman and not only isn’t immediately dispatched but somehow gets the upper hand? Seriously?

Yeah, what the gently caress? Although If they think she's lying just have WW lasso her in the first place. They shouldn't have Wonder Woman involved in stories with mysteries unless the writer is very adept about writing around that particular elephant in the room, I guess The Hiketeia did it okay..

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 31, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It really is Identity Crisis 2. Just replace Deathstroke with Harley.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Roth posted:

It really is Identity Crisis 2. Just replace Deathstroke with Harley.

Oh, this is way more bs of a fight than Identity Crisis. At least Deathstroke had, you know, any super-powers at all...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's an actual line in it where Superman and Wonder Woman comment that Harley is "as good as you are, Batman" and we know Batman can beat anyone so

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

There's an actual line in it where Superman and Wonder Woman comment that Harley is "as good as you are, Batman" and we know Batman can beat anyone so

Ooof.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's kind of crazy (lol) how much of a power creep Harley has gotten over the years. She went from Psych major who is insane to beyond human level acrobat who can fight someone who beats up deadly ninjas every second tuesday.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

It's kind of crazy (lol) how much of a power creep Harley has gotten over the years. She went from Psych major who is insane to beyond human level acrobat who can fight someone who beats up deadly ninjas every second tuesday.

Hey, credit where credit's due, she always had at least a doctorate.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Oh, it's pretty stupid, and pretty bad. She steals WW's lasso and grabs Batman in a makeshift noose with it. Superman gets ready to go do, uh, something, but WW warns that Harley'd be able to break Bruce's neck before they'd be able to break the rope (because knocking her out isn't an option I guess?), so they meander around while she gets Batman to reveal where he keeps his emergency Kryptonite. She then blasts Superman and jumps out a window, while Batman and Wonder Woman just sort of stand there, because WW is I guess either weak to Kryptonite all of a sudden or just not that invested in solving the mystery. Immediately thereafter they're in contact with Barry Allen who I guess is also not that interested in catching her despite being in a frenzy of grief This is not a very good comic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Theory #3: The whole steel worker thing is a misdirect and puddler is just talking about someone who pisses themselves.
Batman admitted that to the robots and everything else is covering up that confession.

Canon and the only acceptable ending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Theory #1: She's CRAZY and the belt doesn't work on her. Or she killed them, but for a secret twist reason she can't reveal. Or it's a dumb comic.

Theory #2: PUDDLERS.
Puddlers are puddling.
Puddling
Pudding L
Pudding-L
Harley Quinn is Superman's mom from Earth-2 and also the murderer.

Don't tell me The Winding Gyre is loving canon?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Heroes in Crisis #2: I'm seeing rumors that Poison Ivy might be dead, and if that's the case super gently caress you

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay so...okay...

..Now I actually don't think this fight was as outright idiotic as the Deathstroke one, but...yeah wow, it really wasn't for lack of trying.

I think I was more distracted, if it were possible, by King's interpretation of Booster which continues to just make no sense in any way. Like, is King's impression of Booster just that he's completely stupid? Like he's just a grade-A loving idiot, and that's it?

Also sidebar, his Wonder Woman "confession" absolutely reads like something that someone would write as her "trauma" if they've never read a single issue of her series in their lives.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Heroes in Crisis #2: I'm seeing rumors that Poison Ivy might be dead, and if that's the case super gently caress you

Speculationwell then Harley definitely isn't the killer

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

At least Drowned Earth is some decent fun.

Weird to say, but Dark Nights: Metal looks better and better in the hindsight of Heroes in Crisis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I went looking around for some panels of this Harley nonsense when I found something even dumber.

Hey Tom, thanks for your completely worthless contribution here to the "Is Clark or Superman the act?" debate. Stop trying to be so clever, I thought maybe you were on Nightwing but everything I read from you since then has made me think maybe not so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroes in Crisis 2 is just remarkably loving dumb. It reads like a completely different story that had DC characters haphazardly shoved in and isn't even remotely trying to adjust. You literally have a magical artifact used to make people tell the truth in the story and it gets used but *not in the one way that makes any loving sense* by Harley Quinn. Like just don't bring it up in story if you want to but instead it's actually there but everyone acts like a moron. None of the characters make any sense as the characters. Wonder Woman I guess is just frightened of Harley Quinn's Batman level skill and Booster Gold is suffering traumatic brain damage.

I think HiC is actually dumber that Identity Crisis in a lot of ways which is remarkable. Maybe there's a big twist coming but damned if I know what will make it make sense. No matter who the murderer Wally West is, it's going to be a goddamn hard sell for any of this to make sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Quit buying the poo poo comic. Christ sake.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Oracle posted:

Heroes in Crisis is loving CRAWLING. GET ON WITH THE GODDAMN STORY ALREADY JESUS.

I honestly feels like they had 3 of the originally announced 6 issues in the can, and then someone high up said "we're delaying everything after #1 by a month, add some more panels and text and stretch this poo poo out to 9 books while keeping the same overall arc". So much of this could be loving trimmed down, and it REALLY seems like the Flash/Booster fight should have started earlier and ended this issue instead of dragging to next one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Quit buying the poo poo comic. Christ sake.

While I generally agree with this sentiment, there's only been two issues, so I can forgive people for at least giving it a shot.

It won't really be forgivable after this though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If Ivy is dead, then she's 200% gonna come back as the new rep of the Green under the Parliament of Flowers as that seems like the obvious set-up. It's a shame we've not seen hide nor hair of the Red since Animal Man's tenure in Justice League United I think

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

If Ivy is dead, then she's 200% gonna come back as the new rep of the Green under the Parliament of Flowers as that seems like the obvious set-up. It's a shame we've not seen hide nor hair of the Red since Animal Man's tenure in Justice League United I think

I was thinking about this yesterday and how under-utilized Animal Man is since Lemire's run. JLU doesn't count because it was so meh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jeff Parker's JLU was pretty good for the six issues or however little it lasted :/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jeff Parker's JLU was pretty good for the six issues or however little it lasted :/

It was a neat concept that ended way too soon. Lemire's JLU was.....there I guess. I felt like he wanted to write a big epic space story but it just felt so inconsequential that I couldn't really bring myself to care. Plus his re-imagining of awesome spaceman Adam Strange was not good.
Parker comes on the book, does Snyder's Justice League before Snyder even thought about it and the book ends one story arc in.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Did they show who the dead Green Lantern is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

Did they show who the dead Green Lantern is?

Nope