Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

xb1's system was too simple for me, which is why last time I passed at it I dropped off around the high entia section. (tbf some of my favorite rpgs have taken multiple passes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motto posted:

xb1's system was too simple for me, which is why last time I passed at it I dropped off around the high entia section. (tbf some of my favorite rpgs have taken multiple passes)

XB1 has a lot of issues, including making one characters unique system basically a nerf with no benefits.

I still don’t understand that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can only assume they thought having an inconsistent healer was OP much like the developers of pathfinder continue to nerf melee classes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You would think they would have just made her healing worse instead of cooldowns within cooldowns which an AI just can’t handle.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, but we were living in different times back when XB1 was made.

Reyn Times

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally got around to setting up a Nintendo Japanese account so I can access the Japanese store on Switch. What is on there that is worth buying? ideally also having an English version.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are we getting another Zelda game on Switch or what?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

psylent posted:

I would think so at some point.

night slime
May 14, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I finally got around to setting up a Nintendo Japanese account so I can access the Japanese store on Switch. What is on there that is worth buying? ideally also having an English version.

Seiken Densetsu Collection. I don't think it's in English though.

psylent posted:

I would think so after some more DLC. They had 2 Zeldas on each console except Wii U and they spent years making the assets.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
You know what game had a good battle system? Xenogears

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I hope so. It was my first Zelda game and a pretty rad experience.

A friend sold me his 3DSXL and I played through A Link Between Worlds and that was pretty fun. I've started on OoT and will probably do Majora's Mask as well.

Are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks worth playing?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Motto posted:

I've stopped playing xbc like 3 times at this part lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

psylent posted:

People are usually pretty passionate about loving or hating most Zelda games.

Nobody likes those two though.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Policenaut posted:

It's so bad. XB2 may be mechanically miles ahead of the original but good lord I can't stand to look at a majority of its cast.

This I don't get, I thought the character designs were cool and unique.

Especially the blade designs.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

psylent posted:

A friend sold me his 3DSXL and I played through A Link Between Worlds and that was pretty fun. I've started on OoT and will probably do Majora's Mask as well.

The original Legend of Zelda is totally rad and still worth playing. That game blew my mind when I was a kid. I'd recommend using a guide, though. The only way I was able to complete that game as a child was by exchanging information with my friends, my brothers, their friends, etc. The pre-internet days were rough.

A Link to the Past is also really good, and if you enjoyed Link Between Worlds you'll almost certainly like it.

Both of these are available for 3DS.

The Adventure of Link is worth checking out mainly because it's so weird compared to other Zelda games. It's also completely inscrutable, even compared to the first game.

Wind Waker is pretty good but you'll need either a Gamecube, a Wii, or a Wii-U (or Dolphin) to play it. It's also pretty strange compared to most main-line 3D Zelda games. People look back on it fondly, and I think that it's pretty good, but the last third of the game is filler trash and I got the sense that development was rushed. It feels like it's missing a few dungeons, and a terrible scavenger hunt was added instead. The Wii-U version mitigates this, but it's still lovely design.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

psylent posted:

They’re worth a try but they’re definitely at the bottom when it comes to Zelda games. Play Wind Waker first if you’re interested in them since they’re some of the few Zelda games that are directly connected to another. Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to it and Spirit Tracks follows that.

Plus Wind Waker is one of the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pharohman777 posted:

This I don't get, I thought the character designs were cool and unique.

Especially the blade designs.

yeah, the designs are really w-

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Your Computer posted:

Uh-huh, and all the other blades are amazing.

I loved the guest artists getting to design characters in a variety of different art styles and see them come to life.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Your Computer posted:

[severe brain damage from watching too much anime voice]: what's wrong with this?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Cheers for that. I'll add them to my ever growing "To Play" list.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Your Computer posted:

12 year old boys are getting hired as artists now, I see

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That’s what’s so great about the Switch, Tits on the Go.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd probably be happier with XB2's character design if it had XB1's fun costume switching deal where you equip different gear for different looks but instead Nintendo figured out you can just sell that as DLC. It blew me away when I played XB1 and it brought up some flashbacks and the game actually remembered that costumes my characters were wearing when those cutscenes originally happened. Now that's some attention to detail!

Tendril_Mullet
Jul 20, 2014

Just started playing Dark Souls for the first time. I knew nothing about this game and it was a gift from a friend. Was on my way to kissing sweet death against the Taurus Demon again until it fell of the bridge and died for no discernible reason. My joy is boundless to the point that I felt myself physically smile while playing. I think I get what makes this appealing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tendril_Mullet posted:

Just started playing Dark Souls for the first time. I knew nothing about this game and it was a gift from a friend. Was on my way to kissing sweet death against the Taurus Demon again until it fell of the bridge and died for no discernible reason. My joy is boundless to the point that I felt myself physically smile while playing. I think I get what makes this appealing.

dark souls is hard on the player, but the bugs and game world are often just as hard on the poor inhabitants

later, in sen's fortress, the traps are a great way to deal with some snakemen

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So it looks like Phantasy Star is coming out in the US on the 15th. :argh:

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Heath posted:

So it looks like Phantasy Star is coming out in the US on the 15th. :argh:

Did they announce this somewhere? I just ended up buying it on the japanese eshop with points from play-asia. Everything loads up in english.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone get Diablo 3 early? Curious how coop works on it. Is there single console/multi controller support or online only with extra switches?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

psylent posted:

Allow me to ruin Spirit Tracks for you:

you can’t make the trains run into each other. Well you can, but they clip through each other

Barudak
May 7, 2007

psylent posted:

In order: not really unless desparate and hooooooo boy no.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Re: Diablo co-op. The reviews say that local co-op with one switch is a thing but both players will need an online sub to play seasons.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nostrata posted:

Re: Diablo co-op. The reviews say that local co-op with one switch is a thing but both players will need an online sub to play seasons.

Neat! My housemate and I both have switches but it's nice to do couch coop on one TV/Switch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tendril_Mullet posted:

Please keep the updates coming. Taurus killing itself is indeed an awesome occurrence.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

psylent posted:

The next Zelda will most likely be the top down 2d version, probably next fall.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tendril_Mullet posted:

Please let us know how Capra Demon goes :getin:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bushisms.txt posted:

The next Zelda will most likely be the top down 2d version, probably next fall.

I don’t see this happening on Switch unless it’s Zelda Maker but I’d love to be wrong. 2D Zelda owns.

Tendril_Mullet
Jul 20, 2014

I just had a huge swell of pride from clearing out a lot of the undead berg parish (I think) like a big boy and finally took out the same set of three rear end in a top hat knights that had been kicking my rear end by developing a decent strategy and leveling up. Just as my confidence was high I came into this church and a giant black knight with a huge shield loving ran at me!

I instantly panicked and ran around like a drunken idiot, mashing buttons to the point that that I drank from the glowing cup a bunch and threw grenades at my own head.

I escaped the church somehow and thought I reached a point where I was safe but that big bastard chased me and I shrieked when he pancaked me with a giant weapon.

I am ashamed of my cowardice. I don’t think I even served up a single attempted strike.

This game seems to be a strange projective test of some kind.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t see this happening on Switch unless it’s Zelda Maker but I’d love to be wrong. 2D Zelda owns.

what else would it happen on? 3ds is dead outside of easy port jobs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Brother Entropy posted:

what else would it happen on? 3ds is dead outside of easy port jobs

I could see them doing one more Zelda on 3DS with the LBW engine. A remake of LA would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tendril_Mullet posted:

I just had a huge swell of pride from clearing out a lot of the undead berg parish (I think) like a big boy and finally took out the same set of three rear end in a top hat knights that had been kicking my rear end by developing a decent strategy and leveling up. Just as my confidence was high I came into this church and a giant black knight with a huge shield loving ran at me!

I instantly panicked and ran around like a drunken idiot, mashing buttons to the point that that I drank from the glowing cup a bunch and threw grenades at my own head.

I escaped the church somehow and thought I reached a point where I was safe but that big bastard chased me and I shrieked when he pancaked me with a giant weapon.

I am ashamed of my cowardice. I don’t think I even served up a single attempted strike.

This game seems to be a strange projective test of some kind.

Did his weapon look like a big dick?