Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Come on, enhancement is not a spoiler. It's in the rulebook. There's a whole huge section on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

same!

Does enhancement chat need to be spoiled? It's all in the manual!

enhancement chat:

Most classes seem to have at least one enhancement that's just "ok, this makes the class sing, like putting "generate any element" on Spellweaver's Reviving Ether.

Past that though I feel like putting Jump on Move 4's and 5's and +1 Move on any Move 2's or 3's are probably the best value for money you generally see.

Putting the most expensive enhancement in the game on a card you are guaranteed to use exactly once seems like a dumb idea.

The jump thing is correct. That and curse on big non-loss AoEs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Piell posted:

Putting the most expensive enhancement in the game on a card you are guaranteed to use exactly once seems like a dumb idea.

The jump thing is correct. That and curse on big non-loss AoEs.

No no, on the bottom half, the move.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

The bottom

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
They're only spoilered when discussing abilities of locked classes. General ehancement chat or discussing the starter 6 are spoiler free since it's in the manual

One enhancement that gets a lot of recommendation is stengthen (or bless) on bottom action heals like Spellweaver and mindthief have. Strengthen doesn't wear off until your next turn so you get 2 turns of advantage which is pretty stellar for 50g. I like bless personally for a character with lots of perks because of the rolling mods and far fewer negatives in a perked out deck.

No one ever complained about more movement and more jumps, though. If you're not starved for cards due to low prosperity it's a great way to blow 30/50g. Also it's a little unclear but the rising costs of stacking enchants only applies to that half of the card. You can do a top and a bottom enchant without paying the extra 75g!

Extra hex also seems to get neglected, but it's fantastic on say Brute's Leaping Cleave or certain obvious music note cards.

Most people avoid enhancing loss cards or at least the loss half of them, but gently caress it. Loss cards are your key turns. You use them to turn the tide of a battle! Do whatever you want! Yeah it's low value but it's high awesomeness. (Range is a big one here, cheap and makes cards a lot more usable)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

same!

enhancement chat:

Most classes seem to have at least one enhancement that's just "ok, this makes the class sing, like putting "generate any element" on Spellweaver's Reviving Ether.

Past that though I feel like putting Jump on Move 4's and 5's and +1 Move on any Move 2's or 3's are probably the best value for money you generally see.

Yeah I guess it doesn't, I didn't put anything class specific, edited. I just think enhancement's a really cool mechanic that I don't really get to do with high level cards, and only really sparingly do otherwise. My old Mindthief had a great high level card that I wanted to enhance but it would have cost I think all the gold she earned throughout her career up to that point in order to have enhanced it, was never really possible without having never bought items or spent gold otherwise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Most people avoid enhancing loss cards or at least the loss half of them, but gently caress it. Loss cards are your key turns. You use them to turn the tide of a battle! Do whatever you want! Yeah it's low value but it's high awesomeness. (Range is a big one here, cheap and makes cards a lot more usable)
On this note - adding an extra hex on Forceful Storm is super tempting. Or it would be if I wasn't saving money for reasons. Only 67 gold I guess?

Especially since I have ways to make an enemy put themself into a good fireball formation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Direwolf posted:

Yeah I guess it doesn't, I didn't put anything class specific, edited. I just think enhancement's a really cool mechanic that I don't really get to do with high level cards, and only really sparingly do otherwise. My old Mindthief had a great high level card that I wanted to enhance but it would have cost I think all the gold she earned throughout her career up to that point in order to have enhanced it, was never really possible without having never bought items or spent gold otherwise.

My wife just unlocked a class she is planning to play long-term (two minis). What I suggested she do was

1) read a few online guides and figure out what cards she's planning on picking on level up and what level 1 cards she plans on keeping long term and still using at 9th level

2) Enhance those cards first to maximize cost/utility

that's the rationale behind putting "any element" on the Reviving Ether move -- you *know* you're gonna be using that card for the whole life of the character, and the versatility it adds is just incredibly useful.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 29, 2018

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

same!

enhancement chat:

Best enhancement is putting either Bless or Strengthen on a move 2 heal 2 bottom action. Next lucky person to play the rat I'm about to retire is going to get that card as a move three-heal two-bless.

My normal approach is fill all the item slots as the best use of your money; after that there's a huge cut in value.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Range is an under-rated enhancement too, mostly because it's incredibly cheap.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Valid points, we haven't really played for like 6 weeks so I'm getting my fix from the thread while also forgetting too much about the dynamics of the game.

Yeah, I've played twice in the last two months I think? It's killing me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

neonchameleon posted:

Best enhancement is putting either Bless or Strengthen on a move 2 heal 2 bottom action. Next lucky person to play the rat I'm about to retire is going to get that card as a move three-heal two-bless.

My normal approach is fill all the item slots as the best use of your money; after that there's a huge cut in value.

angry face:bless over strengthen, for sure. Expose should be giving you advantage on basically all your attacks anyway. And +range is always useful; getting up to range 5 on everything you can is really useful.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

SynthesisAlpha posted:

No one ever complained about more movement and more jumps, though. If you're not starved for cards due to low prosperity it's a great way to blow 30/50g. Also it's a little unclear but the rising costs of stacking enchants only applies to that half of the card. You can do a top and a bottom enchant without paying the extra 75g!

Source on this? Everything I've seen indicates that the per-card limit for Enhancements based on prosperity, as well as the fee for each additional on a card, care about the whole card not a half.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Source on this? Everything I've seen indicates that the per-card limit for Enhancements based on prosperity, as well as the fee for each additional on a card, care about the whole card not a half.

quote:

Additional costs are added based on the level of the ability card and the number of previously placed enhancement stickers on the same action.
(Emphasis mine).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

same!

enhancement chat:

Our Spellweaver's first enhancement was putting Strengthen on the bottom of Mana Bolt because 80% of the time his standard scenario opener was the bottom of Mana Bolt followed by the top of Icy Blast. Power potion and Piercing Bow if necessary. It was always hilarious.

neonchameleon posted:

I did this exact same thing with my Mindthief and it was amazing, especially once you hit level 7 and take both level 6 cards. It's SO AWESOME.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 30, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Campaign update:

We did Scenario 17 Monday night with level 5 Sun (me), level 4 Cthulhu, level 3 Eclipse, and level 3 Two Minis (making their debut).

Spoilers for that scenario and those classes:

We bumped the difficulty up +2, to 4, so that we would get four gold per coin; almost failed the scenario in several ways but managed to pull out wins, mostly because we all had minor stamina potions. Hardest parts were

1) The initial wave of damage almost obliterated us to the point we were at risk of being unable to recover -- bear almost died in the first couple rounds!

2) We're now a very melee-heavy party with sun, eclipse, and bear, so it's hard to take and hold doorways or choke points, especially as bear follows bear law not man law. We're all very happy with our current characters though. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with that issue.

3) the vermling shamen had *shield 4* which was just brutal to get through.

The Sun retaliate build proved very effective though. We might have made some errors that broke slightly in our favor (forgetting some muddles) but we also made a few that broke the other way (forgetting a Stun on a bear, etc). Funny part was we literally used every single coin token in the box!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
God I hate scenarios that require a loot card to interact with things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

xiw posted:

I do not understand why only some of them let you use a bottom half instead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xiw posted:

There is at least one that is explicitly unwinnable with the wrong party composition (two player, two classes who only have loss loot cards) because they cannot loot 4 goals with only two loss loot cards.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

xiw posted:

While I totally hear ya, I do kinda think that, with so many missions, having the diversity of what matters and how you need to set up your deck, it makes for an interesting challenge. I hate those missions, but I think, in the same way that I "hate" opening a door and finding there's a bunch of enemies that are about to murder me, y'know?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I imagine this thread heard already but there's a computer adaptation that's supposed to release early 2019.

I haven't splurged on the actual boardgame yet but I'm very interested.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Presenting my newly painted Angry Face: https://imgur.com/a/CQZ2pDj He has a purple/blue/grey tone in the picture so I tried some layers to recreate it, and wanted the "bright" spot to be the bow/arrow as a focus. The head and body look different colors in the picture but irl they look more unified, I promise :) Haven't figured out how I want to base him yet, I originally wanted a forest theme but drifted from the green-ness while painting, so maybe more rocky? Dunno. Nice to paint something, haven't done any 40k stuff in awhile. Now to try him out!....next weekend.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Direwolf posted:

Presenting my newly painted Angry Face: https://imgur.com/a/CQZ2pDj He has a purple/blue/grey tone in the picture so I tried some layers to recreate it, and wanted the "bright" spot to be the bow/arrow as a focus. The head and body look different colors in the picture but irl they look more unified, I promise :) Haven't figured out how I want to base him yet, I originally wanted a forest theme but drifted from the green-ness while painting, so maybe more rocky? Dunno. Nice to paint something, haven't done any 40k stuff in awhile. Now to try him out!....next weekend.

I really like that! Best angry face colouring I've seen so far tbh

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Miftan posted:

Yeah you did a better job then I did making all the different small pieces stand out. Good work!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I imagine this thread heard already but there's a computer adaptation that's supposed to release early 2019.

I haven't splurged on the actual boardgame yet but I'm very interested.

Is this separate from the tabletop simulator version?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, but I couldn't figure out if it's supposed to be its own thing or what. The trailer had pretty meh 3D graphics iirc

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Miftan posted:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah you did a better job then I did making all the different small pieces stand out. Good work!
Thanks so much :) I still need to base it but yeah, I put an emphasis on the different colors - after painting the Mindthief and Triforce, I noticed that most of the "box" art for the characters has a specific color theme to it - Mindthief has a muted blue - but the art is also very monochromatic in that theme so I try to have 1 or 2 bright colors on each for contrast from the theme.

I'm very excited for our next session because I get to try out my new Angry Face, but one of our group is about to have butt surgery right after so we might not play again until 2019 while he recovers. Very inconsiderate of him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, it's a standalone pc release. They announced it as a single player roguelite type thing. Tons of people were asking about the full game, and Isaac announced that it'd launch as the single player game, but that it was the full game, and the full campaign and co-op support were forthcoming.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Direwolf posted:

Thanks so much :) I still need to base it but yeah, I put an emphasis on the different colors - after painting the Mindthief and Triforce, I noticed that most of the "box" art for the characters has a specific color theme to it - Mindthief has a muted blue - but the art is also very monochromatic in that theme so I try to have 1 or 2 bright colors on each for contrast from the theme.

I'm very excited for our next session because I get to try out my new Angry Face, but one of our group is about to have butt surgery right after so we might not play again until 2019 while he recovers. Very inconsiderate of him.

What level is your Angry Face?

You're going to love the class. It's so much fun.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
We're at prosperity 4 so level 4, coming from a level 7 Mindthief that I was pretty fond of. Glad to try out new things, though! That said we now really have no melee characters, so it'll definitely change the group dynamic. And I ran my Mindthief very, very mobile, so no backflipping through entire rooms anymore.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Direwolf posted:

We're at prosperity 4 so level 4, coming from a level 7 Mindthief that I was pretty fond of. Glad to try out new things, though! That said we now really have no melee characters, so it'll definitely change the group dynamic. And I ran my Mindthief very, very mobile, so no backflipping through entire rooms anymore.

I came off a Mindthief too and also started my Angry Face at level 4. You are going to have a blast.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Just unlocked Three Spears. Math discussion: I have decided I want to build the modifier deck with the goal of drawing the Refresh Item cards as often as possible. Among other reasons, this is so I can use Power Potion pretty much on demand, which to my mind outweighs drawing +1 or +2 since it's controllable, applies to the whole attack, and can be reapplied between hits of a multi-target attack if you draw the refresh.

My first thought was to remove all the negative and zero cards, so the deck becomes 3 Refresh Item and 12 other cards. My second thought was to grab the Goggles so I could use advantage - but the thing about the Refresh Item cards is that if you draw them with advantage against a +1 or +2 card, it's considered ambiguous so you just get whichever one you drew first. And since the deck is 7 positive cards, 5 zero/negative cards, and the 3 Refresh cards, that seems like only a marginal improvement, and also risks drawing through the Refreshes without using them. Adding more positive modifier cards to the deck also makes this a worse proposition. So would it be better to not use the Goggles, or to use the Goggles but leave the starting zeros and negatives in the deck?

Another interesting thing - for purposes of trying to specifically draw the Refresh cards, the game's weird rules about advantage and rolling modifiers seem to work in our favor - we would much rather draw a rolling +1 with a Refresh than a regular +1 with a Refresh, because with the rolling +1 it doesn't matter what order they get drawn in, we still get the Refresh. So every extra rolling card that goes into the deck is another card that harmonizes with Refresh when using advantage, and still doesn't ruin our 3/15 ratio when attacking without advantage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just found a copy of this at a bent and dent shop and now own a copy. Anything I should know going in blind?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I just found a copy of this at a bent and dent shop and now own a copy. Anything I should know going in blind?

You are guaranteed to gently caress up tons of rules so just let it rock and learn as you go. Ask rules questions ITT.

The first scenario is intentionally hard and brutal so don't expect to win on the first try unless you play on the easiest difficulty.

Don't use loss cards until the last room or you absolutely need to in order to not exhaust.

Communicate as much as you can. The only things you can't say before cards are revealed are numbers and card names. Anything else goes. After cards are revealed talk as much as you need to before taking your turns.

Everyone should buy a stamina potion. They're ridiculous.

There is no such thing as a tank. Spread damage out among everyone.

Doing damage should always be top priority every turn. The more dead enemies, the less incoming damage therefore less healing you have to do. Focus attacks on 1 enemy at a time or 2 if they're low on hp.

When in doubt, go fast. You're always on a clock.

Good luck!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Are you allowed to say specific elements? Like "I'm creating earth early"?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Are you allowed to say specific elements? Like "I'm creating earth early"?
Yeah definitely. It's key to coordination.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
The only things you don't say are ability names and initiative numbers. It's still cool to haggle turns back and forth, like begging for elements or stating you're gonna kill a dude.

Don't forget you can lose a card from hand or two from discard to negate all damage from any one source. Lose, not discard. This rule is crucial and often forgotten or misinterpreted

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If you have a card that's

Move 2
Attack 1 + Strengthen enhance
Move 2

And you don't do the attack at all, do you get the strengthen?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Move 2
Move 2

If you're talking about a sticker enhancement, you can't place Strengthen on attacks. Strengthen and Bless can only go on mainlines that affect allies, like a heal or a shield.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Just unlocked Three Spears. Math discussion:

Honestly, I'd recommend against doing this unless your group is all optimization freaks. We've got a Three Spears in our group who does this a bunch of other mechanics finagling to output as much damage as the rest of the team combined, while also being the tankiest and most mobile party member.

KingKapalone posted:

Move 2
Move 2

Is the strengthen actually listed next to the attack? I don't think there's any cards like that. It should be on its own row or an effect like Heal which targets you or an ally.

E: If it's an enhancement, I'm afraid it's not a legal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

But more broadly, yes, if an effect is attached to a mainline action, you have to do the action to get the effect.