Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ST, Pan-Asian cruiser Irian, tier VIII (formerly the Russian ship Ordzhonikidze sold to Indonesia in '62)

Hit points – 41200. Plating - 25 mm.

Main battery - 4x3 152 mm. Firing range - 17.5 km.

Maximum HE shell damage – 2200. Chance to cause fire – 12%. Maximum AP shell damage - 3300.

Reload time - 8.0 s. 180 degree turn time - 25.0 s. Maximum dispersion - 154 м.

HE initial velocity - 950 m/s. AP initial velocity - 950 m/s. Sigma – 2.05.

Torpedo tubes - 2x5 533 mm. Equips deep-water torpedoes that can't hit destroyers. Maximum damage - 17900. Range - 13.5 km. Speed - 68 kt. Reload time - 136 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 0.8 km.

AA defense:
16x2 37.0 mm, range - 3.5 km, damage per second - 147.
6x2 100.0 mm, range - 5.0 km, damage per second - 117.

Maximum speed - 32,7 kt. Turning circle radius - 760 m. Rudder shift time – 10.3 s. Surface detectability – 13.7 km. Air detectability – 9.3 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 7.0 km.

Available consumables:
1 slot - Damage Control Party

2 slot - Hydroacoustic Search

3 slot - Torpedo Reload Booster

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

The visual model of the ship may change too.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Der Shovel posted:

First time ever watching an official WoWS stream and holy crap, it's not amazing. The slaughter was fun to watch, but the game needs better casting tools and as mean as this might sound, better casters. The difference to something like Blizzard's HGC is night and day, and it's not like Wargaming can't afford it.

Also, I completed the Ovechkin campaign. I guess all the fun stuff, like the ice rink carrier camo, were extremely low droprate blind box items, because I got precisely zero of them. Bummer.

The Euro casters are a bit better (Flambass, Flamu, and Izolate in particular, are knowledgable and able to keep up). What they really need is an actual tournament/caster mode - right now you set up a training room battle, and the casters are actually on a team, and they suicide into one another in tier 1 cruisers at the beginning of each match. It's loving stupid, and it'd be so easy to just add a training room mode with official spectators as an option.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

James Garfield posted:

• British are good at fighting enemy destroyers. Pan Asian can't hit enemy destroyers with their torpedoes, but they all have both usable guns and torpedoes, they have probably the best smoke generator, and the tier 8+ can choose to use radar instead of smoke.

Adding to this a bit: UK DDs are so good because they are agile and don't lose speed when turning, and have a long-lasting low-range hydro. You almost have to be sleeping to get torped. Pan-asian DDs have very stealthy torps, which is what they gain for not being able to torp DDs - if a BB hasn't dodged your torps before they are in spotting range they are going to eat them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Trillhouse posted:

I haven’t played this game since shortly after the RN battleship line was introduced, and before the smoke change. I did end up being surprised by a De Grasse, a Giulio Cesare, and about 150k of free XP as a “please come back present” so that was nice. Anyways I have a few question:

Is the Khabarovsk still OP?
    I’m at tier 6 for RN cruisers. Are they still good/fun?
    I’m halfway through Tier 8 for the Soviet Cruisers. Is the Moskva still worth the grind?
    What are the defining characteristics for the RN and Pan Asian DD? (Ie. Japanese DDs have good torpedos, Russians have good guns, etc)
    Any especially fun or overpowered new lines (or buffs to old ones)?
    What’s the deal with the steampunk ships?

Okay that ended up being longer than I thought. It just feels like a lot has changed. Thanks in advance!

Others answered more, but Moskva is a sorta mixed bag for T10 cruisers. It doesn't have the pure outrageous rof/DPM that Des Moines, Minotaur, and Worcester have, and it doesn't have hindenberg's tankyness or Zao's stealth. It's really mostly like the French cruisers in playstyle where you just cruise fast angled at long range and light poo poo the gently caress up while swapping to AP to any broadsides. Moskva pen is so absurd that you'll have no problem getting citadels at 15km. I personally end up doing poorly in it for the most part because I always go hard for a cap at the start of a game, and with the terrible concealment and awful maneuverability I end up getting locked in to place too hard and having to slowly back out to avoid giving broadside and getting blown up. Yea you have a huge pile of HP but if you don't stay well angled you'll just get citadeled to hell and back. It's a ship that demands you stay back for the first portion of the game, but if you manage to do that and not have your team also fold quickly, you then become an unholy terror. If your team folds too fast before you can afford to go in, then it'll just be super annoying.

The only place it's decisively better than the french CAs is the very long range radar and AA, so it's far better suited to actual teamplay vs the french.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

toadee posted:

The Euro casters are a bit better (Flambass, Flamu, and Izolate in particular, are knowledgable and able to keep up).

Do you have any idea who the US casters on those 90th dunking videos were? I basically don't know anything about the WoWS scene.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Do you have any idea who the US casters on those 90th dunking videos were? I basically don't know anything about the WoWS scene.

No clue but they were real bad. Notser will occasionally do casting and he's definitely better than them at it. Otherwise not sure. I guess NoZoupForYou or iChase or Mejash could do some? Especially when it comes to competitive though NA really lags behind EU. Lots of people will carry this over into NA randoms are dumber than EU randoms but I don't really think that's the case, you get dumb shitters and unicums in both. Clan battles though, I haven't seen anything from an NA clan that approaches the level of coordination, training, and strategy that OM, OMNI, TWA, RAIN, or 10GO have.

Gwaihir posted:

Others answered more, but Moskva is a sorta mixed bag for T10 cruisers. It doesn't have the pure outrageous rof/DPM that Des Moines, Minotaur, and Worcester have, and it doesn't have hindenberg's tankyness or Zao's stealth. It's really mostly like the French cruisers in playstyle where you just cruise fast angled at long range and light poo poo the gently caress up while swapping to AP to any broadsides. Moskva pen is so absurd that you'll have no problem getting citadels at 15km. I personally end up doing poorly in it for the most part because I always go hard for a cap at the start of a game, and with the terrible concealment and awful maneuverability I end up getting locked in to place too hard and having to slowly back out to avoid giving broadside and getting blown up. Yea you have a huge pile of HP but if you don't stay well angled you'll just get citadeled to hell and back. It's a ship that demands you stay back for the first portion of the game, but if you manage to do that and not have your team also fold quickly, you then become an unholy terror. If your team folds too fast before you can afford to go in, then it'll just be super annoying.

The only place it's decisively better than the french CAs is the very long range radar and AA, so it's far better suited to actual teamplay vs the french.

I don't have one so I can't really say but, I was under the impression that Moskva was mainly a bow-tanking nose-in interdictor sort of ship? Like park with an island at a broadside, and just nose in punish anything in front of you, while using your stronk 50mm bow to protect you?

toadee fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 30, 2018

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Just got kicked off of the EU server and can't get back in. This is especially annoying as I was about to get this week's last Guinea :argh:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Der Shovel posted:

First time ever watching an official WoWS stream and holy crap, it's not amazing. The slaughter was fun to watch, but the game needs better casting tools and as mean as this might sound, better casters. The difference to something like Blizzard's HGC is night and day, and it's not like Wargaming can't afford it.

Also, I completed the Ovechkin campaign. I guess all the fun stuff, like the ice rink carrier camo, were extremely low droprate blind box items, because I got precisely zero of them. Bummer.

I mean I guess, but treating video games like a sport has always bored the hell out of me. For someone like me, I am n audience you will never capture no matter how much money you throw at it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

toadee posted:

No clue but they were real bad. Notser will occasionally do casting and he's definitely better than them at it. Otherwise not sure. I guess NoZoupForYou or iChase or Mejash could do some? Especially when it comes to competitive though NA really lags behind EU. Lots of people will carry this over into NA randoms are dumber than EU randoms but I don't really think that's the case, you get dumb shitters and unicums in both. Clan battles though, I haven't seen anything from an NA clan that approaches the level of coordination, training, and strategy that OM, OMNI, TWA, RAIN, or 10GO have.

I don't have one so I can't really say but, I was under the impression that Moskva was mainly a bow-tanking nose-in interdictor sort of ship? Like park with an island at a broadside, and just nose in punish anything in front of you, while using your stronk 50mm bow to protect you?

More or less. Yes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The bow is OK but the 50mm plate is only on the lower portion of it- The upper part is all 25mm, so it can't even bounce 380mm shells.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Gwaihir posted:

The bow is OK but the 50mm plate is only on the lower portion of it- The upper part is all 25mm, so it can't even bounce 380mm shells.

You mean the Moskva? The deck armor past the bow is also 50mm so she is extremely tanky angled at range.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Yeah at anything over 10k a bow-in Moskva is essentially immune to AP because bb dispersion is waaay too unreliable to hit the upper bow regularly on such a skinny ship and the reduced repair cooldown and superior rof mean that it will beat any bb (that isn’t a Conq lol) in an HE duel.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

6 citadels in one salvo is a new non-Atlanta record for me

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Is that Pan-Asian cruiser a torpedo specialized Kutuzov?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean I guess, but treating video games like a sport has always bored the hell out of me. For someone like me, I am n audience you will never capture no matter how much money you throw at it.

Sure, but I don't think the expectation is ever to get 100% coverage. eSports are big, and a huge driving force for many games and their communities, so the audience should at least theoretically be there for WoWS as well.

It's frankly a bit embarrassing that WoWS's tools are so completely lacking that the casting team have to jump in as level 1 boats and suicide so they can then spectate the match.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aesis posted:

Is that Pan-Asian cruiser a torpedo specialized Kutuzov?

Yes it is. It's a smokeless, shorter range Kutuzov with Yueyang torps and TRB

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Before you guys panic, that CA's torps are wing mounted on the rear. It can only fire one launcher at a time before needing to swing around to fire the other. That's still a 10 torp broadside with TRB, but not quite as scary as people are thinking.

Still, I'm a little baffled as to why this ship is going for this gimmick. I'm pretty sure it'll get toned down before release.

oh wait who am I kidding its not an IJN DD they'll buff the torpedo reload or something stupid

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well, they had to find a new high tier PA ship to sell, double points for managing to reuse the Sverdlov model after being forced to yank Kutuzov from sale

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

toadee posted:

Yeah i didn't recognize any of the NA casters at all. One sounded like he was going through puberty literally while casting. I'd like a Notser, Zoup, or Mejash tbh.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Before you guys panic, that CA's torps are wing mounted on the rear. It can only fire one launcher at a time before needing to swing around to fire the other. That's still a 10 torp broadside with TRB, but not quite as scary as people are thinking.

Still, I'm a little baffled as to why this ship is going for this gimmick. I'm pretty sure it'll get toned down before release.

oh wait who am I kidding its not an IJN DD they'll buff the torpedo reload or something stupid

I don't see why it would be toned down. As is, it's a Chapayev that has no radar. So, ok, it has YY torps it can fire from stealth, but, stealth for this is a lot longer than it is for a YY. The spread by the time they get there will be like 2 GK's wide.

Kutuzov is strong because it has smoke to go along with those super long range guns. This PA version has I think slightly shorter range, no smoke, no radar, and good torps. I think it'll be pretty blah as is.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
submarine gameplay loop while a little basic is extremely satisfying.

i'd like them to figure out a way to incorporate them into the base game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to see subs + DD depth charges a la Steel Ocean.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Der Shovel posted:

Sure, but I don't think the expectation is ever to get 100% coverage. eSports are big, and a huge driving force for many games and their communities, so the audience should at least theoretically be there for WoWS as well.

It's frankly a bit embarrassing that WoWS's tools are so completely lacking that the casting team have to jump in as level 1 boats and suicide so they can then spectate the match.

You are right; however, the problem for someone like me who at a minimum does not give a poo poo about eSports is that games like WoWs or WoTs that are invested in capturing this market end up doing things like balancing the game around eSports.

Thus you end up with things like multiple versions of what is essentially the same map over and over again, which all have the same corridor control focus.

For me this kills the poo poo out of emergent gameplay, and tactical flexibility in a game, which is something I think, with a full realization that this is subjective, makes for a better, more interesting, and more enjoyable game than one that is balanced around really formalized set piece competitive play.

Honestly, this is why I played EVE for 6 years. The only reason I stopped playing it and moved to games like botes and tanks was that at some point, as a 41 one year old professional with a wife and kids, the time sink of a game like eve (especially in terms of scheduled ops and poo poo) became mostly unworkable.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

toadee posted:

I don't see why it would be toned down. As is, it's a Chapayev that has no radar. So, ok, it has YY torps it can fire from stealth, but, stealth for this is a lot longer than it is for a YY. The spread by the time they get there will be like 2 GK's wide.

Kutuzov is strong because it has smoke to go along with those super long range guns. This PA version has I think slightly shorter range, no smoke, no radar, and good torps. I think it'll be pretty blah as is.

Correct, this is not a ship to get worried about. This is essentially a chapayev with gimmick torps, no smoke, no radar, shorter range, and better AA than the chappy but -no defensive fire- available, unlike the Kutuzov.

It'll be an XP pińata in this form.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

ZombieLenin posted:

You are right; however, the problem for someone like me who at a minimum does not give a poo poo about eSports is that games like WoWs or WoTs that are invested in capturing this market end up doing things like balancing the game around eSports.

Thus you end up with things like multiple versions of what is essentially the same map over and over again, which all have the same corridor control focus.

For me this kills the poo poo out of emergent gameplay, and tactical flexibility in a game, which is something I think, with a full realization that this is subjective, makes for a better, more interesting, and more enjoyable game than one that is balanced around really formalized set piece competitive play.

Honestly, this is why I played EVE for 6 years. The only reason I stopped playing it and moved to games like botes and tanks was that at some point, as a 41 one year old professional with a wife and kids, the time sink of a game like eve (especially in terms of scheduled ops and poo poo) became mostly unworkable.

holy poo poo, :same:

I enjoy the bits of variety that come with different MM on the same old maps, plus the potato teams that do stuff that can make for a loss but an interesting and fun match. Then I can log off after my 20 minute battle and go do the other things I need to do.

Loky11 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 31, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

News just in, subs are fun

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

News just in, subs are fun

Is bad that I am too lazy to try them?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ZombieLenin posted:

Is bad that I am too lazy to try them?

Yes

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Okay, just checking.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

The bigger problem is that pve is fundamentally too mindless and boring in this to ever do

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah Im gonna carve out a day to play around with my nephew with the sub missions because I think he'll have a blast, but literally none of the operations ever look fun at all to me, the AI is just boring as hell.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
subs are fun and cool

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

toadee posted:

the AI is just boring as hell.

The challenge isn't the AI, per-se. The AI is fairly dumb dumb. It can at best dodge torpedoes if given a modest opening to do so.

The challenge is keeping your pubs that are somehow even worse than the AI from dying like a bunch of idiots to said dumb AI.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I started in Goonfleet in the beginning Syndicate days and stopped after we beat BoB. It was a great “storyline” of sorts and I don’t think it could ever be like that in Eve again for me.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I love doing the operations. The challenge is definitely in people not knowing how they work inside and out (like I do (kill me)), but the AI while fairly basic isn't 100% predictable either. Every now and then it'll do something completely unexpected and just ratfuck you.

The Halloween operations have probably the most predictable AIs (which, well, zombies, I can excuse that) but make up for it by throwing enormous boatloads of opposition at you; the normal operations have a lot more variety nowadays in how they can go down. Raptor Rescue is my favorite example. It started out as being exactly the same thing every time; a while ago they revamped it and now there's four possible Raptor exit points and like a dozen variations on where the opposition can appear and what ships they'll be, it's great. Narai is also a huge party because you have to do exactly what every pubbie dreads and drive straight into the teeth of the enemy fleet.

Operations are cool and good, hot take. The older ones could do with a little touching up and we definitely need more of them, but I like them plenty.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
23GB to update this thing, that's how many 1080p HD movies? How can they manage to use up so much space with some pictures of ships?

That aside, I log in after almost a day of the patcher running and it's put me in a green submarine thing. If the event operation is pve, is it best to try and do it during prime time or off peak? Did they split off the WoT clans? I used to be in the same one in both.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Victor Surge posted:

I started in Goonfleet in the beginning Syndicate days and stopped after we beat BoB. It was a great “storyline” of sorts and I don’t think it could ever be like that in Eve again for me.

I had an alt in goonfleet for awhile, however I spent most of that 6 years in eve doing low sec small gang pvp/piracy.

Probably the only game, paradoxically, I ever engaged in something approaching to competitive play. I was very serious about it and our killboard stats never dropped below 93%.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Subs are fun and interesting and I'm pissed that we're going to have to wait a while to see them hit the game proper.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What do you need to do to get other subs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Velius posted:

What do you need to do to get other subs?

You get subs as mission rewards for getting a certain amount of xp in the other subs.