Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like where the lore for the T'au is headed at the moment. They only recently got access to warp technology and on the first, large scale attempt, tore a hole in reality and the whole empire saw the entire 4th fleet get swallowed up by it. Ethereals tried to scrub the feed and make it look like it didn't happen and the fleet left just fine.
Now, decades after that, they rediscover the fleet (via local space hole), find that they're hosed up as poo poo but process them like normal so now, you have T'au that have been through the warp sprinkled about the empire and who knows how it might have changed them. There's now a Death Guard/Nurgle fleet attacking them so now, they'll get plenty of warp spawn experience.

Edit: Wow, the thread moved quick while i was typing o_O

Also, relevant.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Irate Tree posted:

I like where the lore for the T'au is headed at the moment. They only recently got access to warp technology and on the first, large scale attempt, tore a hole in reality and the whole empire saw the entire 4th fleet get swallowed up by it. Ethereals tried to scrub the feed and make it look like it didn't happen and the fleet left just fine.
Now, decades after that, they rediscover the fleet (via local space hole), find that they're hosed up as poo poo but process them like normal so now, you have T'au that have been through the warp sprinkled about the empire and who knows how it might have changed them. There's now a Death Guard/Nurgle fleet attacking them so now, they'll get plenty of warp spawn experience.

Edit: Wow, the thread moved quick while i was typing o_O

Also, relevant.

I really like the Death Guard/Tau conflict and I hope its expanded upon in the future. Its not quite the "Unstoppable force vs Immovable object" that the Octarius war is but there is definitely something cool about the champions of hope facing down forces dedicated to the literal god of despair. Plus its yet one more conflict that doesn't involve the Imperium.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

I really like the Death Guard/Tau conflict and I hope its expanded upon in the future. Its not quite the "Unstoppable force vs Immovable object" that the Octarius war is but there is definitely something cool about the champions of hope facing down forces dedicated to the literal god of despair. Plus its yet one more conflict that doesn't involve the Imperium.

You think the Tau are champions of hope? :what:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Pendent posted:

They certainly think they are, which is really all that matters here. Them fighting physical manifestations of despair wouldnt be nearly as fun if they were ultra cynical hardasses.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm a bit confused. What god of despair to the Tau worship?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

Hope is the basis for Ethereal control over the Tau. Every other race doesn't understand the concept, and writes it off as mind control.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pendent posted:

Of a kind. They're basically where humanity was during the golden age. Nothing seemed impossible, science and truth reigned and the future is bright. Now? Now they're coming up against the truth of a galaxy that is truly horrifying, filled with regression and war and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Badablack posted:

I would have figured most Battlemechs were Knight sized until you got into the Assault class. An Atlas would be bigger than a warhound for sure.

Warhounds are 14 meters tall "standing" which means when they're on the move it's probably 12-13 or so. The "average" for most 'Mechs is 12, the Atlas is 13. Smaller Lights are typically ~10 or so.

There aren't any exact numbers on it, but you'd figure a BattleTech Plasma Rifle works out to something similar to a Plasma Decimator given the relative sizes involved, which compares reasonably enough with the bog-standard PPC.

Which makes the average battlefield of the Inner Sphere loving terrifying because the average size run of the mill company engagement can have like 30 of them and that's something that's completely unremarkable in BattleTech.

God I love BattleTech. :allears:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did Tau fluff get retconned from when they were first introduced? I vaguely recall them being clear cut good guys (as relative as that means in 40k).

But I also don’t really know what was actual fluff and what was just my dumb kid perspective.

I liked them as good guys but I also like the propaganda mind control perspective.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a huge propaganda campaign by the Ethereals, painting everything their race does in a positive light and anyone who doesn't follow that is to be dealt with. This extends to their diplomacy where, at first, they'll be amicable and gentle but once it becomes clear that who they're dealing with doesn't want what the Tau offer, they issue ultimatums, including declaring war.
You're also getting a couple more commanders realising something isn't right (space pope isn't real and you're actually talking to a fabrication) and taking their forces to join the Farsight Enclaves.

They're still more tolerant than the Imperium when it comes to alien species but they are in no way averse to bringing them to their knees, if not wiping them out. So long as you believe in the combined destiny of the Tau and your place in it, you're all good!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Did Tau fluff get retconned from when they were first introduced? I vaguely recall them being clear cut good guys (as relative as that means in 40k).

But I also don’t really know what was actual fluff and what was just my dumb kid perspective.

I liked them as good guys but I also like the propaganda mind control perspective.

The mind control stuff was definitely added later, because you can't have Good factions in 40k, only morally Grey factions that are only slightly better than the outright evil ones.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was in their very first codex. Though the idea there was that the Ethereals emitted a pheromone that made the other castes more open to suggestion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
the other castes be like daaamn blue homie u see the curves on that ethereal

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was in their very first codex. Though the idea there was that the Ethereals emitted a pheromone that made the other castes more open to suggestion.

In the current codex and recent novels it's more explicit, to the tune of an Ethereal telling a water caste T'au to kill herself and she does so unthinkingly with her bonding knife.

Ethereals bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
what's the difference between etherals and the far sight enclave?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ethereals are a caste of Tau that every other caste follows. The Enclaves are a group of Tau (from all castes except their Ethereals who died) who chased after Orks and secured their own little section of space, separate from the main Empire.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

Strobe posted:

Warhounds are 14 meters tall "standing" which means when they're on the move it's probably 12-13 or so. The "average" for most 'Mechs is 12, the Atlas is 13. Smaller Lights are typically ~10 or so.

There aren't any exact numbers on it, but you'd figure a BattleTech Plasma Rifle works out to something similar to a Plasma Decimator given the relative sizes involved, which compares reasonably enough with the bog-standard PPC.

Which makes the average battlefield of the Inner Sphere loving terrifying because the average size run of the mill company engagement can have like 30 of them and that's something that's completely unremarkable in BattleTech.

God I love BattleTech. :allears:

I guess I was overestimating the size of warhound titans. There’s all the artwork of big ol’ imperator titans the size of mountains, I’d assumed that despite being scout class, the warhounds wouldn’t be literally dog sized in comparison.

Which makes me wonder what would compare to the bigger titans in Battletech. I guess past a certain point you need all the repulsor fields and antigrav tech just to keep the bigger titans from collapsing under their own mass, and no one in Battletech is crazy or dumb enough to keep making them bigger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It didn't get retconned, they were always good guys but its the grim darkness of the far future, so even the "good guys" still do some shady poo poo sometimes, see: the Imperium of Man.

Supposedly they enslaved a bunch of guardsmen for one, but I also remember hearing there was more to that story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ethereals are the Prophets and Farsight is Arbiter

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Badablack posted:

I guess I was overestimating the size of warhound titans. There’s all the artwork of big ol’ imperator titans the size of mountains, I’d assumed that despite being scout class, the warhounds wouldn’t be literally dog sized in comparison.

Which makes me wonder what would compare to the bigger titans in Battletech. I guess past a certain point you need all the repulsor fields and antigrav tech just to keep the bigger titans from collapsing under their own mass, and no one in Battletech is crazy or dumb enough to keep making them bigger.

Anything much bigger than an Atlas runs into the problem of too much weight for the footprint they're covering. Immense ground pressure, and it would be super energy-intensive to counter it.

Easier to just build a tank and spread the weight out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It didn't get retconned, they were always good guys but its the grim darkness of the far future, so even the "good guys" still do some shady poo poo sometimes, see: the Imperium of Man.

Supposedly they enslaved a bunch of guardsmen for one, but I also remember hearing there was more to that story.

They got some Guardsmen that defected, let them assimilate into society with some freedoms but population controlled them hard.

e: Also obviously used them as propaganda to be like “look how much happier your people are here”

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Strobe posted:

Not really without going into sub-faction match-ups. The literally only possible one is Farsight Enclaves vs. any other Sept, and that one has (canonically) never happened.

The T'au Empire is small and new enough that it's literally never happened in the entire time T'au have had firearms of any kind.

The Tau were murdering the gently caress out of each other as soon as gunpowder happened until the Ethereals showed up.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

There are no good guys in the 40k universe.

*except Tyranids.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Maneck posted:

Hope is the basis for Ethereal control over the Tau. Every other race doesn't understand the concept, and writes it off as mind control.

Is their leader like, Space Obama?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Orks are the good guys.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The Necrons really just want everyone else to get off their drat lawn

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
There's no ethical warfare under thirsting gods.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Groetgaffel posted:

All warfare is ethical under Khorne, friend

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

All warfare is ethical under Khorne, friend

I thought Chemical warfare would fall under Nurgles purview.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cooked Auto posted:

I thought Chemical warfare would fall under Nurgles purview.

as long as blood flows, both gods can be happy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

as long as blood flows, both gods can be happy

Depends on the chemical weapon then.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Groetgaffel posted:

Gork and Mork would like to have a word about the ethics of krumpin' gits.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Have you heard the good news of the great biomass in the sky?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
As a fat guy who burps and farts a lot and currently has a hacking cough, I think Nurgle is really onto something guys.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Strobe posted:

Anime:Gundam::Space Marines:Ultramarines

Same general category, but definitely not that trite garbage. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm more of a Nurgle guy, but you've got my vote

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I hope he turns into an awesome space car.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I would totally buy two models for one unit that is basically a transformer so I could put the mech model down in mech mode and the jet down in jet mode. I mean I guess things just hop around now, but you get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pendent posted:

Compared to these guys, sorta, yeah: