Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh no! It was great rooting for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Goon grats!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
How big of a douche was Dhruv?

'I have one chance to say something interesting about myself what should I say?'

"I'm a Brahmin!" :haw:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Let me just say that while I am friends with almost everyone that I was on with that day who we found/has a Facebook account, there is one glaring exception ;)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are old Jeopardy episodes on demand or something? I wanna watch this.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are old Jeopardy episodes on demand or something? I wanna watch this.

Check the daily threads on https://www.reddit.com/r/jeopardy

HookShot, awesome work, and that Congress clue was cruel to a Canadian. Dhruv seems uhhhh interesting, besides sounding like Aziz Ansari.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There's also a dailymotion account that has them all.

Hahaha everyone was like "oh I felt SO BAD for you on that Congress clue", that was such a mean question for a Canadian. I felt like such an idiot after. I should have just said "ways and means" with nothing else, but it had taken me so long to even come up with that part of it, like I legitimately have no idea where that answer came from in my brain, I have no reason to have ever heard that, that I just panicked and took the word from the clue to shove in front of it and ended up with "department", which was obviously wrong.

Still, I'm not going to lie, I went home after and googled "Department of Ways and Means" just in case.

Also FWIW I am fairly certain that Dhruv might be very lightly on the spectrum or something. My husband congratulated him afterwards, and he literally said "thanks" really brusquely and brushed past him LOL. Not trashing his game at all, since he played really well, but just that as a human it may not be entirely his fault that he comes off as he did on TV.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 26, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, I had literally never heard of the Baltimore Orioles because I know absolutely zero about baseball. I got orioles from "aurum", and then was like uhhhhh I don't know what else to put there" hahaha.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That FJ was unfair to us noble Canucks :doom:

Great job HookShot!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I understand they have to be picky, but I'm pissed they didn't accept "department of ways and means" because if you had just said "ways and means" and not "committee of ways and means", you know they would've accepted it.

Still, great job! :toot:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

HookShot posted:

Also, I had literally never heard of the Baltimore Orioles because I know absolutely zero about baseball. I got orioles from "aurum", and then was like uhhhhh I don't know what else to put there" hahaha.

I am a baseball nerd and botched this one - I read the clue as asking for the California state bird (Golden State) and blew it. I'm impressed with anyone who got it with Latin.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I understand they have to be picky, but I'm pissed they didn't accept "department of ways and means" because if you had just said "ways and means" and not "committee of ways and means", you know they would've accepted it.

Still, great job! :toot:

Hahah I KNOW that was what I was killed myself over after for panicking about. On the spot I thought they wouldn't have accepted "ways and means" on its own so I panickedly threw out another word and it was wrong. But hey, what can you do, that's the game.

My husband jokingly suggested I start a campaign of people asking in the Facebook comments to have me brought back because of that LOL.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, if my math was wrong, which is likely was (I haven't watched the episode yet) it's because holy poo poo. They finished the game, we made our wagers, then they decided to change those sea of dreams clues. Except they changed their minds on who gets credit for what like four times, and THEN they hosed up the numbers on the board, and THEN we had to make our final wagers. All in all it took 20 minutes before we were able to make our wagers and holy poo poo I was exhausted. I initially tried to figure out what I had to wager to do what I wanted (I was trying to wager so if I got it right and the others got it wrong I would have won) but I have no idea if I did it right. I did the math once and then the answer was like "you need to bet $32,000" and I was like "well drat that's not right" and so I tried again and I figured out a number and added $100 to it just in case because I didn't trust my math AT ALL.

But yeah, that honestly messed with at least Jill and I so much haha. Probably Dhruv too. It was super stressful for all of us, and it just took SO LONG.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah that ways and means thing was bullshit. But still an awesome job :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You did a great job at getting back into the game after Dhruv dominated the buzzer early and that unfortunate daily double. I felt so sorry for Jill after that final. You even heard her sigh in the background after your answer was denied.

This is maybe a dumb question but exactly what wording were they going for with "wheel, kiln, glazing tongs"? A potter?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Yeah i'm a huge baseball nerd, but not a Latin one, and I had no clue on FJ. Tough break on the DD, I feel like that should have been acceptable.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

The Baltimore Orioles are the only baseball team I follow (thanks to my grandfather) and I still didn’t get that final jeopardy :shrug:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dads friend steve posted:

Yeah that ways and means thing was bullshit. But still an awesome job :)

how? it’s not a dept. or are you just saying it’s hosed up the canadian got it? because yea, that sucks for her, though i doubt most americans knew it either

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I knew the Latin for gold but didn't connect it with orioles until I already made the baseball connection since orange and black are the team colors that I saw enough of when they played the Yankees, and then stuck the city name on to complete the name because it specified two words.

And looking on FB, you do have a couple of people demanding you be brought back because they thought the judges were too strict on Ways and Means. I happen to disagree with them (and Vaughn Winchell is hitting back on them as well), but you still played an amazing game out there. You have at least one up on the rest of the Goon Jeopardy club in that you actually won a game, too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 26, 2018

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

how? it’s not a dept. or are you just saying it’s hosed up the canadian got it? because yea, that sucks for her, though i doubt most americans knew it either

I’m not saying anything is hosed up. I think the judges were too harsh in disqualifying her answer because she said “department” and it sometimes feels like they’re a bit capricious

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

dads friend steve posted:

I’m not saying anything is hosed up. I think the judges were too harsh in disqualifying her answer because she said “department” and it sometimes feels like they’re a bit capricious

Eh, if you add incorrect details to an otherwise correct answer, they're gonna rule you wrong. They pretty much tell you that beforehand in the Green Room.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Eh, if you add incorrect details to an otherwise correct answer, they're gonna rule you wrong. They pretty much tell you that beforehand in the Green Room.

Yeah, that’s true. It just seems a bit inconsistent when adding one incorrect detail will get you marked wrong but there’s fairly wide latitude in over-broad responses :shrug:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I had no idea the bird was actually called the Baltimore Oriole...I thought it was just Oriole and blanked on what other word they were looking for. Whenever I hear the baseball team I thought it was just like them saying Chicago Cubs, or New York Yankees so the Baltimore Baltimore Orioles made no sense when thinking about the clue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

This is maybe a dumb question but exactly what wording were they going for with "wheel, kiln, glazing tongs"? A potter?
I have no idea haha, I almost blanked on what I was trying to answer.

And yeah, I totally get it on the ways and means clue. Though if they did call me back I wouldn't say no ;) But I'm definitely not expecting it or anything haha. I shouldn't have added to it, but in my moment of panic I thought not adding to it would get me a wrong answer for sure.

Thanks, everyone! It was a ton of fun for sure :)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

I had no idea the bird was actually called the Baltimore Oriole...I thought it was just Oriole and blanked on what other word they were looking for. Whenever I hear the baseball team I thought it was just like them saying Chicago Cubs, or New York Yankees so the Baltimore Baltimore Orioles made no sense when thinking about the clue.

Orioles are widespread across the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic (I spent the spring and summer here in Wisconsin attracting them to my balcony with orange peels and slices). Generally speaking, the Orioles' mascot in Baltimore is just referred to as the O-Bird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

the O-Bird

:parrot::quagmire:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I only got the FJ because of baseball. I immediately said "Oriole" but then reread it and noticed it said "2-word" and the Baltimore Oriole is the only type of Oriole I've heard of.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I knew it 'cause of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9B0a9WowPI

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Oof, what was that wager, Dhruv? He was in such a great spot to hang on in a triple stumper.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Oof, what was that wager, Dhruv? He was in such a great spot to hang on in a triple stumper.

FWIW, he asked me why I wagered what I did after my first show, and then needed everyone to explain to him why Erik bet what he bet, when that was definitely Final Jeopardy Betting 101.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wow, that's... yeah.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sad to see Tori go! She was the one I was closest to during the taping, and then by chance our husbands spent the whole day hanging out, too. We chatted with them a whole bunch the next day, too.

Jeff on Thursday is the last of the contestants from my taping left. He's seriously so nice. I also met one of Friday's contestants (Jon) in the hotel lobby the next day, since he and Jeff took the same Uber back and we ran into them on our way back from sightseeing. We were the only two Canadians in the two days of taping haha. He's pretty awesome, too. EVERYONE IS AWESOME.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:psyduck: Elon Musk is not British, is not an inventor1, and is not involved in household appliances.

1 I know the clue said innovator and not inventor, but the the ballbarrow part means the right answer is somebody who's an inventor.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 31, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I own a loving Dyson (because I'm stupid as poo poo) and I somehow didn't connect the ballbarrow to Dyson

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Trebek has been re-signed until 2022:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/pat-sajak-vanna-white-alex-trebek-wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-renew-contracts-1202493329/

Pat and Vanna will continue to suffer fools until 2022 as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got Dyson but only because of the balls in their vacuum cleaners and I couldn't think of another company famous for balls (or wheelbarrows)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Trebek has been re-signed until 2022:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/pat-sajak-vanna-white-alex-trebek-wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-renew-contracts-1202493329/

Pat and Vanna will continue to suffer fools until 2022 as well.

I was curious who had the longest-tenured game show host record and apparently sites say it's Trebek because Sajak started in 81 but left in 89 to do a different show. But wikipedia says he's hosted the syndicated version continually since 83, which would still put him a year before Trebek by my math. So I don't know why Trebek is in the Guinness record books for that.

In any case, I'm happy to see four more years of Alex if he can stay healthy and wants to keep doing it. I think he still does a great job.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those extra two years should give me time to learn about US Civics and baseball :negative:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So much of Jeopardy is Trebek’s corny personality. I can’t see myself enjoying it as much without him. I’m glad we have another couple years at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zesty posted:

So much of Jeopardy is Trebek’s corny personality. I can’t see myself enjoying it as much without him. I’m glad we have another couple years at least.

His latest attempt to step out of that personality, hosting/moderating the Pennsylvania Governor's debate last month, didn't go over well, apparently. A lot of "don't quit your day job" type responses. And now I guess he won't for another two years.

Like, when he's not on camera, he's a lot less formal-ish, it's like he's a totally different person interacting with the audience.