Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Certainly enjoying the season, but all these flashbacks have killed the pacing. It's majorly off having the majority of a season be flashbacks.

Going to be annoyed if the end of the Season has Mallory reset the Earth and become the next Supreme in an easy solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like the Papa Legba request was way out of his normal scope.

He took on an offered soul before because frankly he saw potential and felt pity for her. But I didn't think you could mass sell him the souls of other people, because if you could, lots of other characters would have done that. It really seems like his victims need to be on board with the whole thing, not traded off behind their backs.

esperterra posted:

:same: if anything it adds a sense of dread knowing what is coming

That's largely why I've liked the flashbacks even though I am actually disappointed we won't get more time in the wasteland.

Also I really hope that Evan Peters character turns out to be the zombie boyfriend they sent in. Nobody's even mentioned him at all and he seems MIA which is really odd given, you know, Evan Peters is still in the cast. But it'd be cool if he's not dead in the future because he was already dead. Also pretty sad if he killed the witch he was supposed to be protecting because he thought she was his oppressive grandma.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 28, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I see we got to the point of the season where everyone talks about whether it sucks or not.
Traditionally the point where it does, indeed, suck til the end.

Hoping for a miracle though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

The coven stuff is mostly good besides the most recent episode but I can’t say I’d be as intrigued if I hadn’t been hooked on the apocalypse storyline first

I really think it was the right call despite the downsides.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tenzarin posted:

Can you build bomb shelters all over the world in 2 years? Also the mom android said that she was paid by the cooperative for years but that could be false memories. The whole first 3 episodes seem like such a waste. I don't even think the whole fallout part was really needed because they barely used it. I'm guessing the final episodes will just be in that bunker and they have to stay inside it.

If you can build one bomb shelter in 2 years you can build dozens, yes. Hundreds even. You'd have trouble building them all in one town, but building them all over the world means you can use local construction and engineering firms. The only limit is money.

But they probably didn't build them in 2 years. The school was already there, all they would have to do is retrofit radiation filters into the ventilation system and then stock it with candles. So many candles. The other bunkers could also be retrofits of existing facilities. There are plenty of old WWII and Cold War bunkers around. Some of them have already been converted to disaster shelters so they would just need to be brought into the Cooperative corporate family. Maybe even old mines or natural cave systems could be secretly sealed and ventilated. There's nothing to say that all the facilities are as nice as the warlock school.

Fancy example of retrofited military facility: https://terravivos.com/secure/indiana.htm
Not fancy example of loony facility built from 42 old school busses and a lot of concrete: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/inside-ark-two-canadas-largest-diy-nuclear-shelter

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
They needed to do the flashbacks so they could get people to forget the whole "the dead can come back on Halloween" thing so it will be an "oh poo poo" moment when Cordelia and Co. bite it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'll be curious to see if that ends up being the case or not. Something tells me if Michael had killed the coven alrdy he wouldn't leave souls behind to return on Hallokween.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Facebook Aunt posted:

stock it with candles. So many candles.

Considering it used to be Hogwarts, I guess there was an underground candle warehouse there. Wizards do love their candles.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

There's some poor Warlock initiate with the power to replicate candles chained up in a catacomb somewhere.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The Papa Legba request was out of his normal range, yeah, but the ask was also rather steep--Satan is apparently real and a Big Deal, and his kid has been loosed upon the world. Entrapping that kid would probably have blowback on him--or at least be some sort of strain/inconvenience.

It might not have been a genuine offer, either, or at least one calculated to be rejected--he knows Cordelia and that asking for all the girls would be a bridge too far. This way he keeps to the letter of his various agreements (summon him and ask for a deal) while not violating the spirit or any constraints on him from other powers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is AHS we're talking about they probably put that line in there because there's no such thing as continuity with characters or Lance Reddick was only available for a day.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

This is AHS we're talking about they probably put that line in there because there's no such thing as continuity with characters or Lance Reddick was only available for a day.

To be entirely fair, they've been much better about continuity since Freak Show. Well, even Freak Show was somewhat okay about that, it's just that it was boring as gently caress.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If dead witches can come back on Halloween and revive their dead friends, I might have to finally quit this nonsense.

So it will probably happen.

And I won’t quit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The best part about AHS season 1 and 2 was that when people died they stayed dead. I remember thinking that there was no way Violet died in murder house and they'd flash to her being okay after the pest control guy found her corpse, but nope. It was refreshing. Then Coven came along and they stopped caring about that rule. That and Hotel. Now you can apparently bring people back from ashes and all the people who died in Coven aren't dead. Great. Great writing.

I still watch though, nothing will stop me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But really when you get down to it, since the very first season established ghosts, does death really matter much in AHS anyway? If someone died in Murder House, Coven, Hotel or this season they could just come back. Either literally or just by being a ghost still be in the show. There are more seasons of this show where death isn't that big a deal than there are seasons where it's permanent.

At least this season we know the force they're up against can just straight up delete souls. More stakes than most seasons!

e: oh and roanoke i guess was p much also literally about ghosts for much of the season lmao

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

If dead witches can come back on Halloween and revive their dead friends, I might have to finally quit this nonsense.

So it will probably happen.

This seems entirely consistent with established rules so I'm not going to be too upset by that?

Doltos posted:

The best part about AHS season 1 and 2 was that when people died they stayed dead. I remember thinking that there was no way Violet died in murder house and they'd flash to her being okay after the pest control guy found her corpse, but nope. It was refreshing. Then Coven came along and they stopped caring about that rule. That and Hotel. Now you can apparently bring people back from ashes and all the people who died in Coven aren't dead. Great. Great writing.

I'm okay with that for characters slinging literal magic. The same rules do not apply.

The bigger plot hole is why the whole world isn't freaking the gently caress out over literal magic existing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I just realized how perfectly they timed the Halloween episode. I wondered why it was so early, but if we return to the present next episode, it will be Halloween on Halloween after all.

esperterra posted:

At least this season we know the force they're up against can just straight up delete souls. More stakes than most seasons!

I guess when it comes to fiction, my motto is "I will buy any bullshit you are selling as along as it's consistent bullshit." Which this season has done really well and the original Coven lit continuity on fire and pissed on the ashes.

Last few seasons have been pretty internally consistent, at least reasonably. It seems as if there's a story and most things added to the show are in service of that story rather than :lol: BEE MURDER.

esperterra posted:

I'll be curious to see if that ends up being the case or not. Something tells me if Michael had killed the coven alrdy he wouldn't leave souls behind to return on Hallokween.

I suspect he tried to kill them with a nuclear missile, rather than personally.

Which I admit as far as villains go is pretty loving awesome. "You think I'd show up and 'fight you?' No, I'm just going to annihilate your entire city."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 31, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

This seems entirely consistent with established rules so I'm not going to be too upset by that?

You’re probably right, I’m not entirely sure what cannon would be in this regard.

It just seems like if a ghost witch can bring back the dead, there would never be any dead witches.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

You’re probably right, I’m not entirely sure what cannon would be in this regard.

It just seems like if a ghost witch can bring back the dead, there would never be any dead witches.

I saw some bitching on another forum where this came up and people are insisting they can't bring people back to life if they're already dead, but I think they're getting that from actual occult bullshit and not from the show itself. That said, I'm not counting them out of lacking an explanation yet. There seems to have been some master plan to get all the witches into the bunker for this showdown, or at least several of the bigger names, so who knows what failsafe they have?

They could blow it entirely of course this is AHS and no stranger to blowing the ending, but I'm cutting this season some slack for having a seemingly coherent narrative that's building to something.

I know Coven was popular and some people like it but this is more like AHS: Apology (for Coven) than AHS: Apocalypse. One of my favorite seasons of the show is a direct sequel to the worst.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly caring too much about the rules will just give you headaches the show is really just a ride at this point. Even Roanoke and Cult were out there in the logic department.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I hope the jazz man comes back to save us all.

E; What a wet fart

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 1, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBizzness posted:

The main hurdle may be that the magic people mostly seem to hate each other. Witches and voodoo. Witches and warlocks. Witches and most other witches. Witches stay dead because all the other witches hate them.

Coven was following literally the most powerful witches in the world, easy to forget that. Most witches wouldn't be able to raise the dead at all. IIRC Misty was only able to raise very fresh corpses. The voodoo lady raising minotaur man and the raising of Even Peter's character had sub-optimal results that didn't fully restore the person. Raising someone from ash and actually getting them back is supposed to have been an astonishing act of magic, beyond even most Supremes. If Cordilia was able to bring someone back from ash, then Ghost Cordilia might just have the juice to raise 3 very fresh corpses.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It was Billy Lorde that brought that dude back from ashes wasn’t it?

Everyone who says not thinking about it too much is absolutely correct and that’s the path I will take.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBizzness posted:

It was Billy Lorde that brought that dude back from ashes wasn’t it?

Everyone who says not thinking about it too much is absolutely correct and that’s the path I will take.

She brought back the dude. Cordilia brought back the old redhead witch who'd been dead for years after being burned at the stake.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Oh right. :psyduck:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Corn snakes! :3:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sandra Bernhard as a Satanic Priestess!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Black mass at the satanic church sings carmina burana o fortuna. So corny even for the statanic church.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

"Facebook Aunt" posted:

IIRC Misty was only able to raise very fresh corpses. The voodoo lady raising minotaur man and the raising of Even Peter's character had sub-optimal results that didn't fully restore the person. Raising someone from ash and actually getting them back is supposed to have been an astonishing act of magic, beyond even most Supremes. If Cordilia was able to bring someone back from ash, then Ghost Cordilia might just have the juice to raise 3 very fresh corpses.
Misty self resurrected. She then brought back Myrtle after her burning and a rotting Cordelia whose arm broke off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your about to be executed at a satanic church during black mass and you get a ear full that the antichrist is there, you just give up at that point.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

handjob bot no

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ryan Reynolds sure is loving alot of satanists.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm hyped for next episode but this one feels like it could have been a lot shorter to give more leadin to the collective

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

OH MY GAY GOODNESS IT'S SANDRA BERNHARD

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This episode was another dud in my book as amusing as Sandra Bernhard was. Now I'm worried about the ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hail satan

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i would go to a bernhard black mass in a heartbeat

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i liked this episode a lot, but it was p slow for how close to the end we ar
:shrug:
ryan reynolds sure gets around eh

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

TOOT BOOT posted:

This episode was another dud in my book as amusing as Sandra Bernhard was. Now I'm worried about the ending.

This was the first dud episode in my book. I'm ready to get back to the loving bunker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?!

So much needless, drawn out exposition. I like feelin' the Bern at the Satanic church, I like the bowl cut boys, but did we need another 40+ minutes dedicated to how the down and out son of the devil got his robot? You could have done it in 10! ANOTHER kindly old woman devil worshiper to raise him up? Just have him be disgusted with the losers at the congregation, why not?

Michael can't resurrect Mead because Cordelia has a double secret probation spell. And he was ready to kill himself and forget his vendetta over it.

With episode 8 wasting all this time to get to the robot and reveal Venable as a sort of Mercy Graves to Captain Kangaroo's millennial grandsons, one would think they'll use episode 9 to establish the Cooperative, turn the school into the bunker, kill some witches, reveal the politics that caused the bombs to drop, etc. Leaving the final episode to finally shoot back to the bunker, where Chanel #3 unlocks her true power, and Coco defeats Satan with gluten-filled holy wafers.

The dullness of this episode really stands out with the lack of fanservice. As goofy and awful as it tends to be, at least things are happening worth making fun of.