Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hostile V posted:

For those of you who haven't read the free stuff, here's what you're missing and why you should stay the gently caress away.

Isn't it great how the incoherence of the preview material is such a perfect encapsulation of everyone's worst assumptions about the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
So it sounds like Monte read the 2e Mage book and the 1e Mage book for nameless orders while getting wasted on listerine, then decided he'd make his own system based off all that while wacked out on research chemicals.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Monte Cuck

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Isn't it great how the incoherence of the preview material is such a perfect encapsulation of everyone's worst assumptions about the game?
It's refreshingly up front about how you should back away slowly and leave it the hell alone.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Where are the anal bead wizards, monte

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Invisible Sun annoys me because an invisible sun would be a cool concept to grow a fantasy setting around.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Splicer posted:

Invisible Sun annoys me because an invisible sun would be a cool concept to grow a fantasy setting around.

It's a reference to the work by Browne, 'Urn Burial, which is often referenced as a source of occult inspiration.

" Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us. A small fire sufficeth for life, great flames seemed too little after death."
It's not being used well, here.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's a reference to the work by Browne, 'Urn Burial, which is often referenced as a source of occult inspiration.

" Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible sun within us. A small fire sufficeth for life, great flames seemed too little after death."
It's not being used well, here.

I thought it was based on a song by the police?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Robotic Folksinger posted:

I thought it was based on a song by the police?

porque no los dos

More seriously I suspect it's via Sting, but Sting & the Police like to reference things like this; I get the sense Sting was into the occult at some point.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

:wow:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
wow bad moran fanfiction by someone who doesn't really 'get' moran really was the best summary, and maybe a bit of "No, I never read Sandman, but I saw a few episodes of Lucifer, so close enough" thrown in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Joe Slowboat posted:

porque no los dos

More seriously I suspect it's via Sting, but Sting & the Police like to reference things like this; I get the sense Sting was into the occult at some point.

You could probably write a paper on the occult symbolism in Sting & the Police, but that doesn't change that Invisible Sun is a bad incomprehensibly presented game.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I get the sense Sting was into the occult at some point.

I mean there was that time he botched an exorcism in Newcastle.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I'm not defending the extremely pretentious Invisible Sun, I just mean that there exist works that do much, much better things with the idea of an invisible sun than Monte Cook does, and you can get that occult solar symbolism fix elsewhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GimpInBlack posted:

I mean there was that time he botched an exorcism in Newcastle.

Who hasn't botched an exorcism at some point, though?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm kind of digging the way he just cannonballed into the shallow pool of Terrible Vampire Heartbreaker Tropes by fully embracing the "Every in-game and in-universe term has a pretentious Greek/Latin/Sanskrit name" design template like it's still 1994 or something.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FMguru posted:

I'm kind of digging the way he just cannonballed into the shallow pool of Terrible Vampire Heartbreaker Tropes by fully embracing the "Every in-game and in-universe term has a pretentious Greek/Latin/Sanskrit name" design template like it's still 1994 or something.

Monte Cook has not grown in creativity or general games development understanding since the mid-90's so that makes sense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd be down with more chuuni oWoD clones, personally.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Someone get Jenna Moran to remake old Demon

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
For real it’s perfect for something like Chuubos. The characters drawn Faith from their bargains with interesting individual mortals, and the central theme is learning to let go of your hate, because it’s torturing you.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ProfessorCirno posted:

Monte Cook has not grown in creativity or general games development understanding since the mid-90's so that makes sense.

that's not true! He's advanced at least to the late 90's now. He acknowledged many of d&d 3.x's flaws like system mastery traps, wizard supremacy, and the devs playing the game/testing it exclusively to their playstyle and assuming players would just play the same way. I mean this stuff does not look like good game design, but I give him credit for trying to grow. Not enough to buy this crap of course.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

fool_of_sound posted:

For real it’s perfect for something like Chuubos. The characters drawn Faith from their bargains with interesting individual mortals, and the central theme is learning to let go of your hate, because it’s torturing you.

oDemon was legit maybe the best game concept of all of oWoD I think

Like Wraith was just as interesting but much harder to play due to how heavy its themes are by comparison. Demon has very clear and easy to understand themes, isn't too difficult to play, and its :krad: in concept

I wish it hadn't been abandoned, it deserves a true remake to go with the (very different but still good) nuDemon

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kwyndig posted:

Who hasn't botched an exorcism at some point, though?

I've only participated in one exorcism in my life and it was quite successful, thank you very much.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Coolness Averted posted:

that's not true! He's advanced at least to the late 90's now. He acknowledged many of d&d 3.x's flaws like system mastery traps, wizard supremacy, and the devs playing the game/testing it exclusively to their playstyle and assuming players would just play the same way. I mean this stuff does not look like good game design, but I give him credit for trying to grow. Not enough to buy this crap of course.
Yeah, Cook deserves a lot of credit for actively trying to engage with new RPG design ideas and new styles of gameplay (and it's a hundred times preferable to him aging into an old weirdbeard who thinks the hobby peaked at Gary's table sometime in 1974), it's just he can't ever seem to break free from his late-1980s design roots, and his every effort to implement newer-style game mechanics just falls apart mechanically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

So it sounds like Monte read the 2e Mage book and the 1e Mage book for nameless orders while getting wasted on listerine, then decided he'd make his own system based off all that while wacked out on research chemicals.

you can get wasted on listerine?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

Standard Listerine is ethanol based, although not recommended, you can use activated charcoal to filter it and get drunk.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

If your name is Coach Z you can!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Deleter posted:

Or just drink it straight if you have a high tolerance for the active ingredients, yes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Deleter posted:

Speaking of Homestar Runner, this year's New Halloween episode just came out

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Coolness Averted posted:

I thought the extent of his acknowledgment of trap options was admitting they exist but that he did it on purpose to give players who figured it out a sense of accomplishment. Which, uh, is not the lesson to be learned.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm not defending the extremely pretentious Invisible Sun, I just mean that there exist works that do much, much better things with the idea of an invisible sun than Monte Cook does, and you can get that occult solar symbolism fix elsewhere.
Literally everything that Monte tries to do is done better by another game.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can. It's not a good idea, you'll regret the poo poo out of it later, but it is possible.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

wow bad moran fanfiction by someone who doesn't really 'get' moran really was the best summary, and maybe a bit of "No, I never read Sandman, but I saw a few episodes of Lucifer, so close enough" thrown in.

This just makes me scared that maybe Sandman was a piece of poo poo all along. I adored it when I read it as a teenager, now I'm worried to go back to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That Old Tree posted:

I thought the extent of his acknowledgment of trap options was admitting they exist but that he did it on purpose to give players who figured it out a sense of accomplishment. Which, uh, is not the lesson to be learned.
That was the ivory tower game design essay where he showed that he'd completely misunderstood MtG's Timmy concept while writing for 3e, and while he now understood why trap options are bad he still didn't actually get what the Timmy category was for.

That seems to be one of Cooke's big issues. He really does seem to try to keep abreast with current game design, he just consistently fails to properly grasp the concepts he's trying to apply.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 1, 2018

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This just makes me scared that maybe Sandman was a piece of poo poo all along. I adored it when I read it as a teenager, now I'm worried to go back to it.

Nah, it's still good. Some of the art hasn't aged well but the writing owns.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LongDarkNight posted:

Nah, it's still good. Some of the art hasn't aged well but the writing owns.

Yeah like some of the novelty has probably worn off but it's still legit good literature in funnybook form.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That Old Tree posted:

From my comprehension of Invisible Sun thus far, the major lesson Monte Cook seems to have gleaned from D&D 3E is that magic items needed to be nerfed. He appears to have implemented every goddamn nerfing option possible for IS magic items -- made crafting costly/complicated/risky, removed them from the standard economy (magic items can only be bought with "magecoins" that only circulate among wizards and trickle down the wizard power hierarchy via lovely quests), made them extremely fragile (every magic item is either consumable, a reusable item with at least a 10% break chance per use/day of use, or an artifact that automatically vanishes after a few weeks of ownership) -- and I can't see why anyone would bother with them at this point. Better yet, there's an entire splat whose purpose is to engage with the risky/costly/complicated crafting system! YEEEEAH

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
To this day I think his whole "Ivory Tower game design" thing was complete horseshit. None of that was on purpose; claiming it was after the fact is just trying to rewrite his own inability to understand the game he made in the first place. The fact that his actual design has not changed and continues to have nonstop player traps is some pretty glaring proof.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Antivehicular posted:

(magic items can only be bought with "magecoins" that only circulate among wizards and trickle down the wizard power hierarchy via lovely quests)

Yeah, let's talk about the currencies in Invisible Sun and why they are all stupid.

Orbs: Orbs are the normal currency and the least stupid one. They're little orbs filled with different kinds of emotion and qualities of thought. They come in four denominations: Glass orbs, which are full of very common thoughts or ideas like 'what cheddar cheese tastes like' and are made by child laborers, are worth about ten US cents in Shadow. Crystal orbs have more mundane ideas like 'a recipe for lentil soup', and are worth about ten dollars. It's not described what kind of thoughts go in Gem Orbs, but they're indestructible and are worth about US$1000. So it's a decimilated currency that's a pain to keep in your pockets because it's not flat. There are also Trueorbs, which contain actually important secrets. While they have the same denomination as a Gem Orb, Vislae can destroy them to extract the secrets within for a point of Hidden Knowledge, the meta currency you spend to get a +1 on a die. Now, you'd think that these being rare and having an unusual property only powerful and rich people can use would mean they'd be worth more than Gem Orbs, but that would make too much sense. Banks offer checking services for Orbs and Orbs alone, and you can also transfer Orbs through the Noösphere, the magical thought internet.

Magecoin is not a particularly nerdy bitcoin variant, but rather a currency that nobody knows where it comes from that is used for exactly two purposes: Buying and selling magical goods and services, and you can destroy one to instantly restore one of your stat pools. There's two kinds of these, one which restores the physical pools and one which restores the intellectual/magical pools, but they spend the same. Now you may want to exchange these for orbs or other services, but...

quote:

There is no easy exchange rate between orbs
and magecoins. In Shadow, it’s relatively easy to
put a cohesive value relationship on two disparate
things—a smartphone and tickets to a play, for
example. Although one has little to do with the
other, you can break each down into the costs of
producing them and the value to the end user. But
once you add magic into the mix, it becomes far
more difficult to establish meaningful equivalency.
Equating a fine meal with a potion that grants life to
the dead, for example, borders on the absurd.

That’s why magical things—spells, objects of
power, potions, and usually magical services—are
paid for with magecoins or sometimes barter
(typically using other magical things), but never
with orbs or other nonmagical currencies.

Thus, people are rarely willing to trade magecoins
for orbs. This means there is no standard exchange
rate. Someone wealthy with orbs might not be able
to get their hands on many magecoins, because most
of the people who have them (vislae, usually) are
unwilling to give them up for anything other than
magic. When it is possible for someone without magic
to get a few magecoins, it’s at a rate of 1 magecoin for
1 or 2 gem orbs. And even then, such an exchange
is rarely available for more than 1 or 2 magecoins.
Apparently, wizards never need to pay rent. You can get magecoin by doing work for wizards, and you spend it on magical goods and services. They're also occasionally an ingredient in Maker stuff.

Demontears: Not actually demon tears. Blood-red pearl thingies which are valued identical to Magecoins, but can be destroyed to restore any of your pools. Demons carry them around. Also, some people don't like them because they're afraid it has some sort of demonic influence.

Bloodsilver: Slver coins worth about 10 bucks a pop, except almost nobody accepts them because they're loving cursed. If you own more than one bloodsilver (not hold, own- if you keep it in a bank deposit box or vault, you're still cursed), you have to make a resistance check at a difficulty related to how much of it you own in order to avoid the curse, which is left for the GM to make up. So why the hell do people consider this a currency and not a type of toxic waste?

quote:

Using bloodsilver as a currency is
an act of bravado. You’ll find people interested in
looking powerful or fearless hoarding the coins.
It’s said that sometimes assassins are paid only in
bloodsilver. Someone too timid to take these coins,
it’s thought, has no place killing people for a living.
Apparently, assassins never need to pay rent either. Aside from being an ingredient in Maker stuff, a lot of the fighty magical items cost Bloodsilver in addition to Orbs. Worrying about why these craftsmen or merchants want cursed bullshit coins is apparently stupid when you're talking about magic.

Bits And Bobs: The generic term for lesser currencies that use precious metals or whatnot. Magic can only create Bits And Bobs, not real currencies like Magecoin or Orbs. Five bits and bobs to a glass orb, which makes them extremely spare change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
This was, in fact, dumber then I had expected. Good lord.