Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I almost trust you enough to try and watch it again, but Van Helsing's two and a half fuckin' hours long

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattvbrady/status/1057501637294596097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Peccadillo posted:

I almost trust you enough to try and watch it again, but Van Helsing's two and a half fuckin' hours long

I saw it with the girl I was dating at the time, as we were both horror fanatics ... but she was a crazy anime chick who was also a drama student, and for whatever reason she loved it, while I was aching to just walk out by the halfway point.

That was an awkward car drive to drop her off at her place. I think we broke up a month later.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Blade 2 has a big scene that's just most of the cast gathered around the table doing a show and tell on the film's most impressive piece of production design, and while it is indeed a nifty little thing they're showing you, it doesn't make up for the major downgrades in just about every other area of the film compared to Blade 1, especially the villain.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's so crazy that Stephen dorff was put on this Earth for one acting role.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bushisms.txt posted:

It's so crazy that Stephen dorff was put on this Earth for one acting role.

Yeah: The Gate.

K. Waste posted:

It just looks like everything a good remake should be: the basic premise of a film taken in a completely different direction. It, like, irrationally messes with me that some folks think that that's a bad thing.

It really is its own thing, you can tell Guadagnino was absolutely fascinated by Suspiria at whatever age he saw it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 1, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I Before E posted:

Blade 2 has a big scene that's just most of the cast gathered around the table doing a show and tell on the film's most impressive piece of production design, and while it is indeed a nifty little thing they're showing you, it doesn't make up for the major downgrades in just about every other area of the film compared to Blade 1, especially the villain.

Yeah, Luke Goss is cranking it up to 11 in all the wrong ways and his character is horribly written.

Although the reveal that the vampires created the Reaper strain is just so hilariously awkward. Whistler tosses the ring on the floor and is all like, "Explain that ring, you lying son of a bitch," everyone is all :wtc:, then he's like "The Reapers didn't evolve; they were created. Nomak told me, met him in the sewers," and everyone's all "okay, cool."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Halloween 6 is somehow even worse than I remember. There's a loving Michael Myers cult wearing robes and they live in underground tunnels and poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Halloween 6 is somehow even worse than I remember. There's a loving Michael Myers cult wearing robes and they live in underground tunnels and poo poo.

Oh, Lord, the Cult of Thorn stuff is so aggressively stupid. Like, Pleasance and Mitchell Ryan are absolutely giving their all to sell such a moronic script, but Paul Rudd is just woeful and drags the whole thing down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

I saw it with the girl I was dating at the time, as we were both horror fanatics ... but she was a crazy anime chick who was also a drama student, and for whatever reason she loved it, while I was aching to just walk out by the halfway point.

That was an awkward car drive to drop her off at her place. I think we broke up a month later.

Kate Beckinsale in a corset and/or Hugh Jackman hot off X-Men 2. Solved it for you.

I didn't hate it when I watched it, but it's a huge slog. I'd watch a version edited by Steven Soderbergh.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

bushisms.txt posted:

Anyone seen this yet?

Lost will Smith music video for elm Street 4.

https://youtu.be/TZS9xFmUGFQ

The transfer is worth it alone.

It’s so cool that this finally leaked.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

That was, no joke, my uncle's favorite movie. I was constantly watching that poo poo.

He also once told me that white people are more often quarterbacks, not because of racism, but because they were generally smarter than black people, who were stronger and more suited to defense. He was pretty racist.

Ahh the D&D type of racist that believe
blacks +2 strength -2 intelligence
Asians +2 intelligence -2 charisma

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Late night Halloween YTOTD by Mary Ellen Bute and Norman McLaren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKF0qLPgH4

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Man, Masque of the Red Death truly is a masterpiece isn’t it?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Went to a screening of Return of the Living Dead. I'd never seen it before; it was a lot of fun.

They had a band play some music from the movie before the screening.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Almost Blue posted:

I love how dumb the killer's plan is in Urban Legend 2. Like, he's killing people because the victims made a student film that's somehow so good that it will launch the Hollywood careers of everyone who worked on it. He intends to slap his name on the credits and get all the glory for it, but he has to kill them to get rid of evidence of who actually made it.

That's about right for a movie where they do the Landfill thing from Beerfest straight-up like 15 minutes in

K. Waste posted:

It just looks like everything a good remake should be: the basic premise of a film taken in a completely different direction. It, like, irrationally messes with me that some folks think that that's a bad thing.

I just got back from seeing it and that's absolutely the case. It whips serious rear end.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

K. Waste posted:

Yes, yes, yes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Franchescanado posted:

When I taught kids they only wanted to listen to Gangam Style and What Does The Fox Say.

They liked 10,000 Maniacs and Depeche Mode, too, so it wasn't all bad.

Ylvis Ylvowns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Van Helsing is bad" is a meme I've never really understood. When my ex and I saw it in the theater, we had a blast as it was basically a Castlevania movie and was super cheesy in all the right ways.

I rewatched it again recently and it was still totally fine.

Talking of Hugh Jackman, another movie people say sucks but is immensely entertaining is Pan. I mean if Jackman singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" while vamping as hard as Tim Curry in RHPS doesn't do it for you, then I just don't know what to tell you

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Shot by Nicolas Roeg, no less.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Egbert Souse posted:

It really makes the difference. The film is as efficiently directed and edited as most of Corman’s films, but the sheer scope of movement and lucidity is entirely different. The composite of this creates such a completely engaging and technically nuanced but otherwise brutally straightforward vision. I know it’s common knowledge that Corman had the eye that led him to so many of New Hollywood’s movie brats before anyone else; but with Roeg he seems to have found a much more unique kinship.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

I typed this out word for word before I saw you post it. Please get out of my mind.

UNRELATED: This whole time I thought Edward Furlong was in Blade 2 but it turns out that was Norman Reedus.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Janus trailer for the new 4K restoration of Edgar J. Ulmer’s Detour:
https://vimeo.com/298248395

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

UNRELATED: This whole time I thought Edward Furlong was in Blade 2 but it turns out that was Norman Reedus.

Dude makes a million bucks an episode for The Walking Dead. He must have a hell of an agent.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

Oh, Lord, the Cult of Thorn stuff is so aggressively stupid. Like, Pleasance and Mitchell Ryan are absolutely giving their all to sell such a moronic script, but Paul Rudd is just woeful and drags the whole thing down.

I really noticed how much Rudd sucks in it this rewatch. I mean, he's good in Clueless, so he must have just been an absolutely dreadful fit for the role.

I only really liked him twice. Once, when he's lurching away from Dr. Loomis at the hospital and gives him a look over his shoulder like he's Quasimodo. The other time is when he's trying to open a door and Michael Myers is walking towards him and Rudd is just mugging for the camera, because at that point why the gently caress not?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually I’m gonna repost when I fix the issues

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 1, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

I really noticed how much Rudd sucks in it this rewatch. I mean, he's good in Clueless, so he must have just been an absolutely dreadful fit for the role.

I only really liked him twice. Once, when he's lurching away from Dr. Loomis at the hospital and gives him a look over his shoulder like he's Quasimodo. The other time is when he's trying to open a door and Michael Myers is walking towards him and Rudd is just mugging for the camera, because at that point why the gently caress not?

Has he ever had another role where mugging wasn't an intrinsic part of the whole deal?

Was he the sex shop guy in 8mm?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Peccadillo posted:

Has he ever had another role where mugging wasn't an intrinsic part of the whole deal?

Was he the sex shop guy in 8mm?

That was Joaquin Phoenix.

It is a little surprising how long it took for Rudd to make straight up comedies his bread and butter. Even though he practically stole Wet Hot American Summer it wasn't really until Anchorman that it became his thing. Now it's actually a novelty when he ventures outside of Apatow-style stuff.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Timby posted:

Dude makes a million bucks an episode for The Walking Dead. He must have a hell of an agent.

i dunno. people love him. he's not gonna headline studio tentpoles anytime soon but he's a pretty bankable asset at this point.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

After all of the Walking Dead hype an the TV spots for it, I was surprised by how small Norman Reedus's role in Triple 9 was.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Demon Knight was a delight. God bless Ernest Dickerson and Billy Zane. Sadler is the poo poo as well.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

i dunno. people love him. he's not gonna headline studio tentpoles anytime soon but he's a pretty bankable asset at this point.

This year it will have been running longer than Seinfeld did, the stars have a bunch of bargaining power on something like that

He's been on the show for eight. years. You don't need a good agent to know what kind of leverage that has

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 1, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Yep, Richard Roxburgh was the other guy I was thinking of. Just terrible and he's neck-and-neck with Purcell for how awful he is.

Fun fact: Roxburgh also played M / the Fantom* / Moriarty in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Similar movies in some ways. They could easily be part of the same Shared Extended Movie Universe. Perhaps a "Dark" universe of some sort.

* "Very operatic!"

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 1, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One of the big movie myths was that no you guys, HALLOWEEN 6 was totally a great movie that was ruined and The Producer's Cut is the one you want. Then you watch it and find out that while it might be overall more coherent, it's still garbage.

Christ, I remember obtaining a copy of it on SVCD back in the day. Along with the APOCALYPSE NOW workprint that came on something like 5 discs and ran close to 4 hours.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh man is the new Homestar Halloween special good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wstO5elGo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Homestar videos is why I love Halloween.

Kano should get more respect, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DrVenkman posted:

One of the big movie myths was that no you guys, HALLOWEEN 6 was totally a great movie that was ruined and The Producer's Cut is the one you want. Then you watch it and find out that while it might be overall more coherent, it's still garbage.

Christ, I remember obtaining a copy of it on SVCD back in the day. Along with the APOCALYPSE NOW workprint that came on something like 5 discs and ran close to 4 hours.

I had a VHS copy of the Halloween Producer's Cut that I bought off of some guy with an Angelfire page who sold all kinds of crazy bootlegs. I remember he had a long list of poo poo but the only other titles I recall were the X rated cut of RoboCop and Turkish Star Wars. You ordered by mailing him a money order. I regret not buying more of his stuff because there were probably a number of gems. But I was probably twelve or thirteen years old at the time. Also the quality of the video was pretty bad. I only ever watched it once and my take on it was pretty much what you said. Things like that were much more exciting back then because you couldn't just click a few buttons to find it and I really wanted to see it because it was this whole other movie no one was allowed to see.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Noirvember thread will be up this evening once I'm done work

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axelblaze posted:

Oh man is the new Homestar Halloween special good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7wstO5elGo

Okay, Stan was an unexpected surprise.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Has there ever been a band called Das Bootleg and if not, what music would they play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

K. Waste posted:

Has there ever been a band called Das Bootleg and if not, what music would they play?

Garage Punk covers of prog songs.

• Locked thread