Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Proteus Jones posted:

No she was not.

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2018/02/was-april-oneil-originally-black-in.html

Although that was a good one, since you made me question my memory and I had to google it.

On the other hand, maybe the truth is that she's been portrayed as white and various other ethnicities depending on who the artist is at the time.

I mean, there is a whole series of articles here about it.

https://doknowbutchie.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/a-visual-history-of-april-oneil-part-1-1984-1987/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

On the other hand, maybe the truth is that she's been portrayed as white and various other ethnicities depending on who the artist is at the time.

I mean, there is a whole series of articles here about it.

https://doknowbutchie.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/a-visual-history-of-april-oneil-part-1-1984-1987/

I see what you mean, but remember that's the 80s -- the massive-pile-o-curls perm was a thing back then.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Selachian posted:

I see what you mean, but remember that's the 80s -- the massive-pile-o-curls perm was a thing back then.

Like, my mom had that hair and we are all of us whiter than a slurpee with all the syrup sucked out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

No she was not.

Although that was a good one, since you made me question my memory and I had to google it.
They may be getting their useless turtles trivia mixed up. It was Baxter Stockman who was a black nerd in the original comics.

Trap sprung, I guess?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Is he the guy who keeps getting maimed for his failures until he's just a brain and eyeball in a jar?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Keeshhound posted:

Is he the guy who keeps getting maimed for his failures until he's just a brain and eyeball in a jar?

I don't think that was a thing in the comics, but it was in the 2003 animated series. He ended up as just a brain in a jar with one eyeball attached as you said.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

10 Beers posted:

Is this the one where they replace Raph's sais with tonfa? I seem to recall a lot of "NOT MY RAPHAEL!" over the whole thing.

Yep, Raph has tonfa, Mikey has some weird yo-yo kunai chain thing, Leo has a single sword, and Donny has smugbrow.

The Question IRL posted:

I remember when they posted the original art for that Splinter looked like a super racist charactature of an Asian Martial arts master.

He looks like he should be voiced by Jack Black.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Nickelodeon uploaded the first episode on Youtube when it began airing, all their weapons are broken in their first fight and they find new ones in the underground magical realm that got special properties, although I can only remember that Leo would cut open portals or something.

And Splinter was only in a brief scene but he sounded like 90s Lo Wang. Unless they did a 180 on that, it is pretty dire.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

I don't think that was a thing in the comics, but it was in the 2003 animated series. He ended up as just a brain in a jar with one eyeball attached as you said.

Then there was that unaired/banned episode where he made a clone body for himself but it started to gradually fall apart while he went increasingly insane.

I watched that nightmare of an episode and I cannot imagine how so many people worked on it and thought, "Yes, this is totally going to fly. Kids love traumatizing and graphic body horror."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

X-O posted:

That must have been it, since I remember thinking "I know the original comics were super grimdark, but isn't the property pretty much for kids now?"

Gavok posted:

Then there was that unaired/banned episode where he made a clone body for himself but it started to gradually fall apart while he went increasingly insane.

I watched that nightmare of an episode and I cannot imagine how so many people worked on it and thought, "Yes, this is totally going to fly. Kids love traumatizing and graphic body horror."

:stare: (I mean, it sounds like it would have absolutely been my poo poo, even at the target age, but that doesn't make it a good idea for general syndication)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gavok posted:

They do

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Everything is fine! It's all fine!

Poor Baxter did not have a good life in the 2003 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWKuZtN-pU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Was he supposed to become Krang or something?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sentinel Red posted:

Was he supposed to become Krang or something?

Nah, Shredder was already Krang.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like tmnt2013 was nothing but insanely creepy body horror and my little niece and nephew adored it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gavok posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gavok posted:

To be fair this was a sweet as poo poo reveal.

At the end of an multi-part episode Leo and Shredder have a duel and Leo straight up decapitates the Shredder. Turtles go home, episode ends, and then you get an epilogue of Shredder’s body standing up and picking up the head

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Plastik posted:

Raph is a Common Snapping Turtle, Donatello is a Softshell Turtle, Leo is a Red-Eared Slider, and Michaelangelo is a Box Turtle, per Wikipedia.
Have the artists ever seen a Softshell Turtle? They really missed an opportunity on the head there.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think in the old cartoons and in certain countries, Michaelangelo's nunchaku had to be replaced with tonfas, didn't they? Or just edited out? I vaguely recall losing my mind when I discovered .. it might have been Austalia? Had some wave of nunchaku crime and they weren't allowed to show them on TV anymore

edit: It was the UK. The 90s cartoon had a strict no-nunchucks policy in the UK

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think in the old cartoons and in certain countries, Michaelangelo's nunchaku had to be replaced with tonfas, didn't they? Or just edited out? I vaguely recall losing my mind when I discovered .. it might have been Austalia? Had some wave of nunchaku crime and they weren't allowed to show them on TV anymore

They didn't even get the most censored version. For some countries, Leo had a tube of silver wrapping paper, Donny's bo was a pool noodle, Raph had salad tongs, and Michaelangelo messed around with two Cup-N-Ball paddles.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It was a grappling hook, IIRC.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's worse! I'd definitely rather be numchucked than grapnelled

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
When I was a kid I was always confused by such bans, because "I live in Massachusetts, where nobody is allowed to buy nunchucks. But I get to watch ninja turtles just fine!" (And also buy plastic nunchucks on Town Day, whoooo!)

Because as a child, I was baffled by the distinction between stupid sate/town laws, and stupid country wide laws :downs:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Lunatic Sledge posted:

We actually had a strict no-ninja policy. The Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles were most certainly not ninjas, that would have been too violent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when i was younger i thought that nunchaku bans were stupid. now i'm aware that anyone who buys them will repeatedly hit themselves in the head, or possibly lose their grip and hit someone else in the head. also, children want them because they are cool as hell. these two facts are not very compatible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best way to get someone to not gently caress around with nunchaku is to give them a pair to gently caress around with.

My uncle is seriously into martial arts and won several competitions when he was younger and used to be into all that stuff. He has a couple of tonfa, sai and nunchucks on display in the basement rec room.

Being curious, I asked him about them. They were handed over and I promply bonked the gently caress out of my arms and legs and gave them back.

this dialogue :3:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 1, 2018

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Endless Mike posted:

Stuck in the astral plane

Someone make :capitalism: except it's "THAT'S X-MEN"

And/or "X-Men: We Don't Gotta Explain poo poo"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah, the old "stalling before the weekend comic" comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phy posted:

That's worse! I'd definitely rather be numchucked than grapnelled

Don't worry he never loving used it.

Mikey had nunchucks for about 3 seasons. Out of 10. They took them away because the UK was so incredibly racist against asian culture they thought nunchucks were the deadliest weapons to ever be created and more dangerous than guns.

The turtles pretty much stopped ever hitting anything with their weapons by the end of season 2, but Mikey had it bad. He used his grappling hook like once or twice a season to swing across something, only rarely ever tying anyone up with it. And when all the turtles got those weird double mutated forms, Raph got claws, Leo got armor plating, Donatello got a robot eye scanner (someone wanna explain how you can mutate robot parts?) and Mikey didn't get anything. He just had a mutated form but it didn't have any special powers.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My favorite bit of weirdass British censorship was the 90s PC shooter Shadow Warrior, where they had to replace the shuriken weapon with darts. Apparently the entire rest of the game being ninja-themed was alright, but shuriken would have pushed it over the edge.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite bit of weirdass British censorship was the 90s PC shooter Shadow Warrior, where they had to replace the shuriken weapon with darts. Apparently the entire rest of the game being ninja-themed was alright, but shuriken would have pushed it over the edge.

Darts or those ninja throwing knives? I have a British copy of one of the Tenchu games and the throwing stars are replaced with throwing knives, I think the game still calls them Shuriken though.

Hel fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 1, 2018

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite bit of UK censorship is that they basically have their own DVD region to stop people from importing their video naughties from elsewhere.

quote:

European region 2 DVDs may be sub-coded "D1" to "D4". "D1" are the UK only releases; "D2" and "D3" are not sold in the UK and Ireland; "D4" are distributed throughout Europe.

(Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

when i was younger i thought that nunchaku bans were stupid. now i'm aware that anyone who buys them will repeatedly hit themselves in the head, or possibly lose their grip and hit someone else in the head. also, children want them because they are cool as hell. these two facts are not very compatible.

In the next reboot Mikey should wield Nintendo Wii controllers.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Angry Salami posted:

Hel posted:

Darts or those ninja throwing knives? I have a British copy of one of the Tenchu games and the throwing stars are replaced with throwing knives, I think the game still calls them Shuriken though.
And meanwhile, to go by the longplay I just looked up for Shadow Warriors (the EU version of Ninja Gaiden), they left the shuriken completely intact. Censorship is weird.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

No she was not.

... well then i don't know where I got my information but i guess it was wrong

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hey, listen, it's Deathstroke and Yogi Bear time.

:ohdear:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That's a human foot... Oh, God! He killed the Monster Mart guy from Dr. McNinja!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

That's a human foot... Oh, God! He killed the Monster Mart guy from Dr. McNinja!

His tomato prices were just too monstrous.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zereth posted:

... well then i don't know where I got my information but i guess it was wrong

Well, to be fair, given the print media, b/w v. color prints, and various artists around the same time frame it can get really confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

His tomato prices were just too monstrous.

*watches local commercials off YouTube and cries*