Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Kratos is exactly the kind of dad you would need to survive in a place such as that and he plays his part well enough, so I'd say Good Dad.

In less glamorous games, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't have pre-rendered cutscenes, which is cool so you can see all the neat clothes you've acquired through the game in the little vignettes and even cooler when Lara pulls a comically oversized pistol in a kind of serious moment

https://i.imgur.com/QVxCISE.mp4

I'd start running too if someone pointed fuckin Megatron at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

The mini objectives don't count directly towards the platinum.

The crimes count towards completing each district to 100%, which is a trophy.

And the more objectives you complete the more Crime Tokens you earn, which you will need to purchase some of the suits. And purchasing all suits is a trophy. The language here is specific because there are a few suits you earn that you don't need for the platinum.

You'll also need Crime Tokens to craft upgrades but you only need 15 upgrades for the platinum, not all, which is why players, like Smirking_Serpent above, usually say to prioritize suits over gadgets (though I did the reverse since the gadgets are way better to have in fights most of the time than suit powers and I was confident I could do well in the Challenges).

If you're simply worried about a platinum, then with the newly-added NG+ mode, it's easy to get all the tokens you'll ever need. So many tokens but nothing to buy with them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Kratos is also the god of war not the god of parenting so I mean he doesn't exactly have a lot of experience, you know?

Well, he did have a child back in Greece.

For a while.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
One thing SOTN did that I never felt with other Metroidvanias was to be full of secrets. I know the argument against it would be "it's not fun to smack every wall" but compared to Shadow Complex, where every secret area (bar, what? 2?) was colour coded to an upgrade?

Even later Castlevanias never really felt as dense as SOTN.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a real shame later castlevanias soured me on SotN the same way Zero mission did for Super metroid.
The movement is just a little too sluggish.

To be entirely honest with SotN the reason why they could cram it full of stuff is because they reused so much spritework from Rondo so they had more time for everything else.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, he did have a child back in Greece.

For a while.

Yeah for a good long while after starting the game my imagined version of Kratos' internal monologue was "at least this is still going better than last time"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the PS4 SOTN. I'm too lazy to pull any of the other systems I have it for out of storage. Is it actually a bad port other than than changing the terrible dialogue?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its a real shame later castlevanias soured me on SotN the same way Zero mission did for Super metroid.

To be entirely honest with SotN the reason why they could cram it full of stuff is because they reused so much spritework from Rondo so they had more time for everything else.

How are you moving in SotN if you're not back-dashing or bat-dashing everywhere?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

How are you moving in SotN if you're not back-dashing or bat-dashing everywhere?

The slower you walk, the longer you can enjoy the bitchin soundtrack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oddly, I found Zero Mission to be weirdly too snappy for me. But it was the soundtrack more than anything else that turned me off. It doesn't feel right to be exploring this ruined alien world to a bombastic soundtrack.

quote:

They're perfectly good sprites. Konami would continue to re-use them for several later games as well, occasionally making minor updates like giving Frankenstein machineguns and a missile launcher in Portrait of Ruin.

Order of Ecclesia was notable for going whole-hog on drawing a bunch of new monster sprites. But my favorite bit from that game is the final boss. You have the standard teleporting Dracula first phase, but then instead of turning into a giant demon or whatever like he usually does, he just starts walking towards Shanoa so he can punch and/or kick the crap out of her. Seeing Dracula get fluid animation after so many games of him just sort of awkwardly transitioning between a few basic states was a real shock.

(EDIT: it was a similar feeling as, say, seeing what you thought was a mural peel itself off the wall and attack you)

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Nov 1, 2018

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tumble posted:

There is a well done Youtube channel where the guy makes cool, in-depth videos explaining and detailing all sorts of crazy poo poo in the WH40k universe: https://tinyurl.com/y75exo72

The tyranid one in particular is what made them my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intJPrVtNh4
This is crazy, I just discovered that channel and started watching some of the videos, but was thinking of giving up because there's like an entire day of content on there, the playlist isn't ordered and his videos reference things that I have no idea about. In the "Imperium of man" video (or the one for the Emperor?), he says it's the third one of the series, but it's like the 10th in the playlist, and already it's talking about Crusades and Heresy and things in not-actually-latin that I have no clue about.

Is there an order to those that you could recommend? I'd really like to watch the whole thing, but as it is, I keep droning off because I can't understand 80% of them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If/when I finish up I’ll try to let you know. A wiki binge or two will clear things up, but that’s a commitment and a half.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Rise of the Tomb Raider again: I'm almost sure this was not how this animation was supposed to go :v:

https://i.imgur.com/MDTSLQh.mp4

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Len posted:

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the PS4 SOTN. I'm too lazy to pull any of the other systems I have it for out of storage. Is it actually a bad port other than than changing the terrible dialogue?

I was actually considering PSNow to play it too, haven't heard anything negative about the port yet, but I haven't been looking to hard

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Len posted:

BUY IT BUY BUY BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY BUY BUY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY IT BUY IT loving BUY IT

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Screaming Idiot posted:

BUY IT BUY BUY BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY BUY BUY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY IT BUY IT loving BUY IT

But they retranslated the sacred dialogue

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The real question is if they kept the credits music.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

Its an extremely lazy but fully functional port with the dialog change and trophies. If you own it on other systems theres no real reason to buy this, but you already said thay doesnt matter

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

Its an extremely lazy but fully functional port with the dialog change and trophies. If you own it on other systems theres no real reason to buy this, but you already said thay doesnt matter

I mean what is there to expect from a port of a ps1 game? That's like going "oh these psx classics are lazy ports"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Len posted:

But they retranslated the sacred dialogue

Yes, but you can still wear shoes that make you slightly taller while you beat skeletons to death with a gorgon's head while wearing cool sunglasses and a hot pink cape.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In The Kingdom of Loathing, at one point you have to chase all of the evil out of the Cyrpt in the Misspelled Cemetary. There are four corners in the Cyrpt, each filled with a classic undead that you have to kill a bunch of to progress, though there are things you can do to progress faster. In the section filled with lihcs (liches), you can do this by defeating dirty old lihcs, who act like dirty old men. Why does this make it go faster? Because this is the Misspelled Cemetary, and its a lecher.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

One thing SOTN did that I never felt with other Metroidvanias was to be full of secrets.
This post is hilarious in a lot of ways.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This post is hilarious in a lot of ways.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The real question is if they kept the credits music.

They actually didn't, it is the PSP's version credits :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i0ce-k78zg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I mean what is there to expect from a port of a ps1 game? That's like going "oh these psx classics are lazy ports"

It's a port of the PSP version but with features from the PSP version removed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm replaying the Baldur's Gate series for the first time in quite a while, and even in this game from the 90s, sometimes the developers give you a chance to say what you're thinking:

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty drat quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

It's a port of the PSP version but with features from the PSP version removed.

It's been years since I played that one but wasn't the only thing SotN got the new translation?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Len posted:

If you have an XBOX it's available there. I'd say it's the better version simply because it has the "miserable pile of secrets!" interaction in the beginning and the PS4 version doesn't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

10 Beers posted:

If you have an XBOX it's available there. I'd say it's the better version simply because it has the "miserable pile of secrets!" interaction in the beginning and the PS4 version doesn't.

360 is one of the systems I have it for but it's in a box. I also have it for psp and psx. But the PS4 is easiest to get to and I don't have any grand nostalgia for the bad translation

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Len posted:

360 is one of the systems I have it for but it's in a box. I also have it for psp and psx. But the PS4 is easiest to get to and I don't have any grand nostalgia for the bad translation

Fair enough! I'd definitely pick it up, it's still fun.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

Enough talk, have at you!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Len posted:

It's been years since I played that one but wasn't the only thing SotN got the new translation?
It got the Saturn features, so playable Maria and Richter can visit the unfinished garden area (I think that was not in the PS version?). Also some extra items, mostly cosmetic gag stuff like the demon familiar wearing a stupid mask.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mondian posted:

I was actually considering PSNow to play it too, haven't heard anything negative about the port yet, but I haven't been looking to hard

The only problem I've seen with the Requiem port is a small map bug in SotN, where the game won't register some map squares you've passed over until some random time after you've passed over it. I've had map squares not pop until I'm three areas away from them. Otherwise it's that PSP version.

Simply Simon posted:

It got the Saturn features, so playable Maria and Richter can visit the unfinished garden area (I think that was not in the PS version?). Also some extra items, mostly cosmetic gag stuff like the demon familiar wearing a stupid mask.

It has nothing from the Saturn version, the Saturn version of Maria plays completely differently, and the extra familiars are in the original JP PS1 version.

You could get into the unfinished hallway that was supposed to lead into the new area in the original game with Alucard with transparency glitches, or with Richter by running to the left the second the game started (the transparency glitches were fixed for the PSP version).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The PSP one does have the Saturn’s map content but a totally different Maria mode.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

The PSP one does have the Saturn’s map content but a totally different Maria mode.

Is Maria mode remotely balanced in that one? She had some ridiculous powerset on the Saturn, as I recall.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'm playing through The Mummy: Demastered, and it's a lot of fun so far. i've only died a couple of times to some dumb mistakes, but the death mechanic is pretty great: whenever you die, the villain resurrects your corpse as one more zombie for her undead army. you start up again at the nearest save point as a new recruit sent in to put down the old player and continue where they left off. my favourite bit is that all the gear collected in your previous life (better weapons, energy tanks, etc.) stay with the zombie soldier, so theoretically the further you get into the game the more dangerous it gets to die.

WayForward did this in their last metroidvania, Aliens: Infestation. only being an Alien IP, your killed characters are actually captured by xenomorphs and prepped for facehugger insemination. you start with a four person squad and can recruit new soldiers you find along the way... or, if you can find the correct alien hive soon enough, you can rescue your captured soldier before they get facehugged and keep using them.

thing dragging down their metroidvanias, though, is that they're easy enough that you'll hardly see thrse mechanics unless you make some dumb moves. in A:Infestation, i never permanently lost any of my four starting soldiers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dewgy posted:

No it doesn't, it has nothing from the Saturn.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Phantasium posted:

No it doesn't, it has nothing from the Saturn.

Weird. Could have sworn the crappy extra area was in, because I’ve definitely played through it, but can’t recall ever sitting down with the Saturn version for any length of time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
One of my favorite little things in Final Fantasy XIV is the pool of NPC chocobo racer names.

Some other good ones include "Wily Groundskeeper", "Dirty Puddings", "I Lied" and quite a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Weird. Could have sworn the crappy extra area was in, because I’ve definitely played through it, but can’t recall ever sitting down with the Saturn version for any length of time.

Have you ever fought a bedsheet ghost or a tree that looks like if somebody took a bat to Wispy Woods' face and then shrunk him?