Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked Arc-V on Netflix but apparently the ending is really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked Arc-V on Netflix but apparently the ending is really bad.

It's bad since the Synchro arc, where nothing happens yet it keeps getting more and more episodes of nothing. Not even JACK ATLAS can save that, even if he gives the best moments in the arc. Xyz is comparatively better, though it suffers from the opposite problem and instead way too rushed. And then Fusion is kind of a mess, the final boss is a bunch of people accomplishing nothing until deus ex machina happens, and THEN the series ends its plot yet...continues, for some reason, in an epilogue that goes on for way longer than an epilogue ever should and that is never really interesting in any way, plus is far creepier and darker than the writers ever intended it to be because they apparently didn't realize at all that ending the series in "oh by the way, every Zarc/Ray but Yuya and Yuzu are completely, 100% dead, so all of Shun's fight? Yeah, he's down a best friend and a sister now!". And that's a happy ending! Somehow!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
First year is great, second year is watchable and even when it gets tiresome at the end it still has Jack Atlas so you can't completely hate it. When they leave Synchro, things start to feel off and then Fusion is just absolutely dreadful and it only gets worse and worse.

Yuri is like the only good thing about the last year of the show.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

VJeff posted:

First year is great, second year is watchable and even when it gets tiresome at the end it still has Jack Atlas so you can't completely hate it. When they leave Synchro, things start to feel off and then Fusion is just absolutely dreadful and it only gets worse and worse.

Yuri is like the only good thing about the last year of the show.

let me just use this New Theme Deck Available In Stores now to effortlessly beat you

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

rannum posted:

let me just use this New Theme Deck Available In Stores now to effortlessly beat you

That duel actually owned though, even if it was shilling. Yuri having to read all his cards was hilarious and the twist at the end was great. :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rannum posted:

lmao drat. I always get mad thinking about BB and the pirate so I completely forget that.

Still though Yuri is so good he kinda pulls it off.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Was Yuri the only antagonist on YGO history to read their cards

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ayyk92/status/1055210180252598272

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hjalmar posted:

Was Yuri the only antagonist on YGO history to read their cards
I think Arc-V also had this one specific instance where Yuuya, in one his many gloomy periods, actually just straight up read what his opponent's card did during his own turn and i was just taken aback in shock

VJeff posted:

lmao drat. I always get mad thinking about BB and the pirate so I completely forget that.

Still though Yuri is so good he kinda pulls it off.

I think I actually liked that one just because the pirate ship was the closest thing we had to an actual battle field like in the first part of the series instead of "vaguely industrial area with generic floating platforms" and "a road, with mario kart item boxes"

Hey wait was Yuri ever beaten by anyone in the series. I think he either just has straight wins or has the duel called off midway through. Even his final duel I think got stopped when Yuya went full zarc

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yuya did get the final hit in on Yuri, but besides that yeah this is a pretty absurd record.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

rannum posted:

I think Arc-V also had this one specific instance where Yuuya, in one his many gloomy periods, actually just straight up read what his opponent's card did during his own turn and i was just taken aback in shock

The best part of this is the reveal that the duel disk have always had the functionality for anyone to check cards and no one has used this feature.

But honestly after playing Duel Links for a while I've come to the realization that no one reading cards in the show is completely accurate to real life.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Playing those trap-immune monsters and having the opponent try to play Wall of Disruption or Amazoness Onslaught is extremely good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Electric Phantasm posted:

The best part of this is the reveal that the duel disk have always had the functionality for anyone to check cards and no one has used this feature.

But honestly after playing Duel Links for a while I've come to the realization that no one reading cards in the show is completely accurate to real life.

Same thing happens on Yugioh Pro.

The amount of players who pop their own cards because they don’t release a card has no targeting is absurd.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AlphaKretin posted:

Yuya did get the final hit in on Yuri, but besides that yeah this is a pretty absurd record.

Arc-V had some characters go on awesome unbeaten streaks. Serena was unbeaten for like a year and I think Yugo only lost his very last duel.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

i mean i honestly just assumed that duel monsters cards didn't have text and that's why you had to like go to school and poo poo to learn how to play

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elfgames posted:

i mean i honestly just assumed that duel monsters cards didn't have text and that's why you had to like go to school and poo poo to learn how to play

Except the layout of the cards in the Japanese version is identical to reality, and clearly has text in it (in several cases, perfectly readable text at that). In the original setting it could be excused since the opponent's cards were...kinda far, because Duel Disks never made a lot of sense, but at least since Zexal everything is digital and Arc-V outright shows the Duel Disks can show card info so there's no excuse anymore.

But then again, as people have said, not reading cards is absolutely true to reality, so I guess we shouldn't complain.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the part in Duelist Kingdom where Joey is looking at Time Wizard & bein all OH NO IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER WHAT THIS CARD DOES

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a shame that Time Wizards effect isn't to tell everyone the time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Go continues to have good duels even if he dropped his pro wrestler gimmick and implanting an AI into your brain for the sole purpose of making you better at card games is the ridiculous poo poo I love this series for.

Also kinda of a hosed up way to kill a character, RIP Earth.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wait, what duel did Yuri go card reading and the Duel Disk reveal?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The card reading was in the duel against Alexis in Episode 123. Not sure what you mean about the duel disk, the twist I was referring to was suddenly busting out Super Polymerization.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Go continues to have good duels even if he dropped his pro wrestler gimmick and implanting an AI into your brain for the sole purpose of making you better at card games is the ridiculous poo poo I love this series for.

Also kinda of a hosed up way to kill a character, RIP Earth.

I love where they're taking Go. That's the kind of hosed up fall of grace this show's needed since Kaiba (Hell Kaiser is a good one too, tho)

Earth will probably walk it off by the end of the season, but goddamn that was a strong death scene yeah.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AlphaKretin posted:

The card reading was in the duel against Alexis in Episode 123. Not sure what you mean about the duel disk, the twist I was referring to was suddenly busting out Super Polymerization.

Duel Disk have the function to bring up your opponents cards on their field so you can read them. For some reason this function is only used once.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I finally got to check out the second volume of the Arc V manga and I'm really disappointed that the anime didn't remain as fun as it. There's still melodrama because it's Yu-Gi-Oh and that's to be expected but the characterization of the four Yuya personalities are really fun and it still has this goofy flair to it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I... kind of assumed he never did come back actually, they treated it like it was pretty final

is vrains worth watching or should i not bother like i did with the last half of arcv

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's supposed to be open to your interpretation.

But yeah, Kaiba totally loving dies in DSoD.

I'm enjoying VRAINS, and it sure as hell ain't second half of Arc-V, but i'm hard-pressed to recommend it. It's slow even for a 3 year show, and not overtly exciting for an action card game show. It's still very interesting, tho, and it's in the middle of doing a really good and hosed up rival story comparable to Hell Kaiser so far.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

And gotta say that I still love Sean Schemmel as Mad Dog. Just a tremendous voice for him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Testekill posted:

I finally got to check out the second volume of the Arc V manga and I'm really disappointed that the anime didn't remain as fun as it. There's still melodrama because it's Yu-Gi-Oh and that's to be expected but the characterization of the four Yuya personalities are really fun and it still has this goofy flair to it.

I'm up to date with the manga, it's nearly over but it never lost quality. I'd say that it isn't as good as Arc-V anime at its best but it's consistent, and far, far better than Arc-V anime on average. Definitely worth the read and I doubt it'll gently caress up now when this is likely the very last duel of the manga.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Kaiba shows up in GX which would be after DSoD. He makes out with Atem then comes home.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kaiba shows up in GX which would be after DSoD. He makes out with Atem then comes home.

GX is an anime sequel. DSoD is specifically a manga sequel.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

VJeff posted:

GX is an anime sequel. DSoD is specifically a manga sequel.

Sorry it's animated it's in the anime timeline.

The author is dead, I have killed him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm up to date with the manga, it's nearly over but it never lost quality. I'd say that it isn't as good as Arc-V anime at its best but it's consistent, and far, far better than Arc-V anime on average. Definitely worth the read and I doubt it'll gently caress up now when this is likely the very last duel of the manga.

The Space Colony duel was great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sorry it's animated it's in the anime timeline.

The author is dead, I have killed him.

Nah, not this time, the movie explicitly has a different depiction of the final duel than the anime to match the manga, and it's the entire basis for the whole story (that Kaiba didn't even know Atem was leaving or that Yugi could beat Atem).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaiba clearly used his tech from DSoD to send cards into space in GX.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The movie is a weird hodgepodge of anime and manga continuity.

Also Takahashi made a post series picture showing that Kaiba did in fact come back and now that Yugi has started his dream of becoming a game maker, is basically hos major business partner. They beta his new games in space. Because Kaiba.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

In that picture he says that it is A possible future. Its cool, but DSoD itself, I prefer reading it as Kaiba passing away.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'd rather he end up coming back because the way it is, Kaiba learned literally nothing from the whole movie's message. The message it entirely undid in the climax but still.

I prefer thinking Atem shooed him off because it was a dumb idea and he doesn't even have any cards to play with.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Momomo posted:

I'd rather he end up coming back because the way it is, Kaiba learned literally nothing from the whole movie's message. The message it entirely undid in the climax but still.

I prefer thinking Atem shooed him off because it was a dumb idea and he doesn't even have any cards to play with.

1) You think Kaiba wasn't prepared with a replica of the Pharaoh's deck?

2) The movie's climax undid a lot of things. I'm still annoyed at it basically undoing the entire point of the Ceremonial Duel.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
kaiba didn't die he just "sent his consciousness to another dimension"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

let's do some thought experiments. how would you fix each series of yugioh if you could rewrite it? here's what i've come up with

Duel Monsters: honestly pretty solid already, but we needed more time with the villains, particularly Bakura, who never felt as fleshed-out as we were meant to see him as. I think it was really bold to have the entire final season contain only two duels (three in the anime!) and focus on other weird game poo poo, maybe they could have done that more, and have Yugi's dream of becoming a game designer play some role

GX: it's a coming of age story that loses focus of being a coming of age story! that's the problem here, so that's what we gotta fix. it starts out fine, Jaden is optimistic and talented and kind of annoying, but he probably shouldn't have been as good at card games as he was. the way things end up, there really wasn't much point in him going to duel academy in the first place, given he isn't actually noticeably better at card games between the first and last episodes and he graduates to being a shiftless drifter. so yeah, more character development for him that isn't just "he's part magic demon hermaphrodite now". also let him be gay and kiss boys

5Ds: ok here's the real meat. we all know this story is busted because of internal drama making them have to swap the main villains from occult to time travel poo poo. but they hosed up, because you see, the best possible villain was under their noses all along and they went to painstaking efforts to set it up in the first few episodes AND THEN AGAIN in arc-v's synchro dimension for no reason: it's capitalism. the characters are all down-on-their-luck underclass living and working in a glorified recycling depot where they live off the literal garbage of the elite. Jack Atlas is meritocracy, thinking he earned the right to be The King, but without Rex Goodwin funding him he isn't able to function in society. Rex himself could have been a much better villain just by virtue of being a rich rear end in a top hat who represents everything wrong with society, not some insidious benefactor with a magic dragon kink. while we're at it, cut the whole signer poo poo entirely. it kinda spits in the face of the rest of this to have five-and-a-half chosen ones who are just better than everyone else. the show needs to be about solidarity and working together for a better future, but less wizard-y about it. also Akiza should have kept being a cool psychic witch

Zexal: don't care, fire into the sun

Arc-V: i might have more serious thoughts on this later, but basically, the story needed Yuzu to be a much stronger force in driving the plot forward and not just be the princess in yet another castle. they didn't even give her any pendulum monsters for goodness sakes. the first season indicated she'd be crazy important and, while she was, it was entirely as a magic macguffin that does some dumb wizard poo poo and not as a character in her own right. exile Reira from the plot entirely and have Yuzu take down Zarc because that would actually make narrative sense