Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BonoMan posted:

Also Rick had his hatchet. He could have just carved out some simple footholds in the hard dirt.

I thought there had been flooding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

Speaking of, the later seasons of Game of Thrones are racing down to TWD's level and we'll see if the last season is going to be a total quality abyss. There already are similar levels of incompetence detectable here and there. I think the GoT cast might have been infected.

They'll probably have Scott Gimple work on the last season the way things are going.

No argument from me here. The last season of Game of Thrones is like someone who had plastic surgery and a lobotomy. They're pretty, sometimes they're fun, but they are now dumb as gently caress.

Coming this fall to HBO, cinematic legends Scott Gimple and Kathleen Kennedy present Tim Kring's shocking new series written by Skip Woods. 'Abomination' airs this fall.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 31, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are you guys talking about "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything" because seriously that is not a folk song by any stretch of the term :colbert:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

can we just agree that all the music used in this show has been garbage? cause it has, as far as i can remember

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Johnny Truant posted:

can we just agree that all the music used in this show has been garbage? cause it has, as far as i can remember

"Up the Wolves" is an amazing song

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

At least TWD hasn't had an Ed Sheeran cameo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

precision posted:

"Up the Wolves" is an amazing song

i couldn't get a minute into that song, nope. could've tortured Daryl with that song imo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Khablam posted:

I'll take a million Ed cameos over one instance of Andrew Lincoln's "southern" accent tyvm

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Khablam posted:

Ironically he was pretty okay in GoT despite being the musical equivalent of lukewarm milk

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just had a flashback to the time they drove from georgia to virginia off camera

that could have been the greatest season because it would be them just driving through Cool Stuff

but nah let's have tyreese die in some dumbass way for a whole episode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have no idea how they've spent so long in the South and they haven't had a plot where they find a small town where the people have no idea the world has ended

Because trust me there are towns small enough to miss that down here

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

I think this only annoyed people who know what Ed Sheeran looks like

I literally had no clue and was surprised to see all the outrage, he just seemed like any other actor

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

i couldn't get a minute into that song, nope. could've tortured Daryl with that song imo

That scene would have been infinitely more hilarious with "Whip your hair back and forth." I'd had way more sympathy.

24 hours of that and he'd be screaming he saw five lights, er, was Negan or whatever.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think this only annoyed people who know what Ed Sheeran looks like

I literally had no clue and was surprised to see all the outrage, he just seemed like any other actor
He's pretty polarizing, and the scene draggggggged on. I think I played a game on my phone and it was still going on when I finished.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought there had been flooding?

There had been rain (and the creek had flooded) but there was clearly not any mud in the pit and he clearly actually uses an existing foothold at one point.

At the very least just show him *trying* to use the tools he has to do *something.*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Khablam posted:

I think I played a game on my phone and it was still going on when I finished.

This is true of every episode of TWD since line season 3, too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BonoMan posted:

There had been rain (and the creek had flooded) but there was clearly not any mud in the pit and he clearly actually uses an existing foothold at one point.

At the very least just show him *trying* to use the tools he has to do *something.*

But... someone told me it flooded. What more do you need in a TV show?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

He's pretty polarizing, and the scene draggggggged on. I think I played a game on my phone and it was still going on when I finished.

It didn't for me, only because it was kind of like watching a whole bunch of teens going for a sex & drugs lakeside trip running into Jason Vorhees without his mask and just chilling with him for a bit. I kept waiting to see if Arya was suddenly going to murder all of them and it kept it interesting. I had no idea he was famous so I guess I didn't see the problem.

Not the first time I've heard these two opinions, though. I really think it comes down to: "Do you know what Ed Shirin looks or sounds like? No? Then you won't have a problem with the scene. If you do, prepare for 5 minutes of rage."

precision posted:

This is true of every episode of TWD since line season 3, too

Just LOL if you weren't playing your phone in season 2

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 31, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like Ed Sheeran, also thought that scene was fine. Especially compared to that season. Unless you just froth at seeing Ed Sheeran then I dunno how THAT of all things could be your go-to "this sucks" scene.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I feel this got last at the bottom of last page, so I am going to shamelessly repost it.

https://i.imgur.com/qj5pg8v.gifv

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, anyone want to take a bet on when Jeffery Dean Morgan wants to GTFO? I have a feeling unlike what people expect, they're gonna off him because there's no way he's going to want to stick to this dumpster fire. Esp. now that he's weeping over his bat and bashing his head in a wall.

God I want one person to act like a human on this show and when he starts in with the "you're afraid your like me.." just go off 'How the gently caress is being an adrenaline junky that likes to stab zombies going to turn into branding people and bashing in skulls as a standard operation? What the gently caress are you even talking about you absolute moron?" Like at no point did I ever think Negan had a problem with needing to fight zombies and at no point did I ever think 'Let's make a constitution' Michonne was remotely similar in path and the whole thing is so loving stupid. Their problems/character flaws aren't even remotely Goddamn similar.

If they wanted the 'You're just like me..' speech to makes any sense it should have been used on Maggie, but we really didn't need that poo poo again. At least with Maggie I could see it.

ED: Sometimes I wonder how much that happens in TV writing. Like maybe this whole episode started as a Negan talks to Maggie episode, and then idiots got ahold of it and turned it into this? Because she really is turning into a sort of murderous vengeful despot so that makes too much sense to me.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 1, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jeffrey Dean Morgan should voice the protagonist of Red Dead 3

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The show is using a lot of recylced and condensed material. 6 issue arcs(100+pages with at least 1000 panels) is how a second standoff with Negan that only ends after Jesus fights his way to taking Negan hostage. Is a plotline they mostly skimmed though in favor of Daryl doing sick motorcycle and gun sequences.
I am not at all up to date with the show

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Btw, is Darl now permanently a dual-wielder?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The last season of GoT, after two seasons of being not that good, was a total loving disaster as far as writing goes. They seem to be wrapping it up half-assedly so everyone on the creative team can move on to more lucrative projects.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gortarius posted:

What's the cost of making these episodes? I mean monetarily. The sets are just outdoors backwater woods with some occasional hovels in the backdrop. They always wear the same clothes and all the gunfights are CGI sparks someone added in 5 minutes.

I've given up on watching the show and just read this thread and watch the trailers to find out what's going on. But on this subject I just watched a clip where they were bragging about all the effort they went to making a massive sound-stage set for the pit and doing wire stunt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-ejvnj8-E&t=159s

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

I've given up on watching the show and just read this thread and watch the trailers to find out what's going on. But on this subject I just watched a clip where they were bragging about all the effort they went to making a massive sound-stage set for the pit and doing wire stunt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ-ejvnj8-E&t=159s

Because just sticking cameras in the pit would have been MADNESS

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stuff supposedly leaked again

Rick survives the impaling and also another close call at the bridge. Main cast believes he's dead, while he lives and is helicoptered away to PoochieLand thanks to Jadis

From the same people who leaked him falling off the horse onto convenient rebar for the impaling

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Rick survives the impaling and also another close call at the bridge. Main cast believes he's dead, while he lives and is helicoptered away to PoochieLand thanks to Jadis

From the same people who leaked him falling off the horse onto convenient rebar for the impaling

Hopefully he (BSG sorta spoilers) will appear on his horse during a battle to tell someone that he's been to civilisation and is going to take them there. Zoom out to show the Earth where everywhere except for North America is covered with the lights of surviving cities

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

they have doubled tripled ah i've lost count on deus ex machina plot advancements in this show, lmao

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

This would only be good if it resulted in him hijacking it and he and Jadis reenact this on the horde/savior rebellion:
https://youtu.be/oAHutAeAjSI?t=175

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The last season of GoT, after two seasons of being not that good, was a total loving disaster as far as writing goes. They seem to be wrapping it up half-assedly so everyone on the creative team can move on to more lucrative projects.

You know what pisses me off about GoT? How like fifteen minutes of effort and a few lines of dialogue could fix half the problems.

Like take the infamous hilarious "Dragon LITERALLY flies at a mach speed to save the people scene" which everyone mocks, for good reason. Easy fix: Have her and the dragons go to East Watch with the others. That way dude runs back to where she is and the rescue makes like infinitely more sense; hell he could have just run to a hill to light a signal and not all the way back even. They had the actress at East Watch for several scenes immediately after too to it's not like it was an availability problem.

Not trying to be my normal level of nitpicky (que Phalanx gif) but just saying, like, that's like a super minor adjustment that would have avoided them months of mockery from the internet and would have cost the production $0 to do and wouldn't have ruined their plot in any way. It's just total Shits Given: 0 mode.

ED: Nothing could temper the stupidity of the Unsullied getting tricked into taking a worthless Island and having their ships blown up at the other end of the world only to have them teleport all the way back in like a couple days off camera without a single word about, you know, the unsullied marching through all of Westeros for weeks/months.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 1, 2018

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
The stupidity of TWD is leaking into GoT. They are all slowly turning into "bad asses" / anime characters and there is rampant teleporting to drive a contrived plot forward.

As for Rick, the problem with him dying or not dying or trying to keep us in suspense is that... Who cares? Who cares about Rick? He is the main character, yes, but what is he really doing in this show? Repeating how this is the beginning of something new for the 10th time and making ill advised plans that get people killed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

The stupidity of TWD is leaking into GoT. They are all slowly turning into "bad asses" / anime characters and there is rampant teleporting to drive a contrived plot forward.

I know how Rick is gonna get through this. Out of nowhere the leader of the old folks home gang is going to arrive on a horse with plenty of room, tell Rick "Go! There's not room for the two of us!" then charge into a zombie horde to die.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey remember that weird flash forward Rick had a while ago

Yeah me neither

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Hey remember that weird flash forward Rick had a while ago

Yeah me neither

Remember when zombies could run, climb ladders, use tools and throw heavy objects?

I seriously think it'd been a lot easier to write them as a threat if they never lost those abilities. "Oh the walkers are at the fence again, yawn" vs "The walkers are at the fence again and one of them has a loving axe!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When did they use tools? I don't remember that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Season 1 at the sporting goods store

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Remember when T Dawgs cut was super serious because infections were still a thing back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

moist turtleneck posted:

Remember when T Dawgs cut was super serious because infections were still a thing back then

I thought that was more because he like cut both of his wrists and throat at the same time and was immediately incapacitated until Darl revived him.