Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Heath posted:

Wait, is that happening? I missed those titles when they were new.

They were servicable jrpgs with a unique battle mechanic that are essentially 2 unrelated games that share a franchise title.

Skies of Arcadia on the other hand is still drat near flawless and would be an excellent remaster. Who cares about another fantasy RPG with demons and monsters, there aren't enough pirate games in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pentyne posted:

They were servicable jrpgs with a unique battle mechanic that are essentially 2 unrelated games that share a franchise title.

Skies of Arcadia on the other hand is still drat near flawless and would be an excellent remaster. Who cares about another fantasy RPG with demons and monsters, there aren't enough pirate games in general.

Skies of Arcadia is the best kind of RPG because while it doesnt do anything THAT original (story involves tropes like evil empire vs rag-tag plucky heroes in a race to collect the mcguffins) it does them all to perfection and in a world that is absolutely unmatched in how creative and awesome and interesting and fun it is. I would trade anything for even a half-decent sequel set in that world.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Doesn't Skies of Arcadia have an atrociously high encounter rate?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only GC version, the DC one is even worse

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Doesn't Skies of Arcadia have an atrociously high encounter rate?
Yeah and it was hilarious on the Dreamcast because the console would start screeching in agony right before one would happen. :) But so does FF9 and that's one of my other favorite games.

I played these games when I was a youngster with all the time in the world and I loved level grinding so that poo poo never bothered me in the slightest. Nowadays it'd be unacceptable, yeah, but I would also hope that any rerelease would fix those things or include a speed-up option or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the GC version also made the section where you have to sail against the wind have like 1/5th the encounter rate and made the wind push you back less which were also very nice features.

Skies of Arcadia 2 absolutely needs to exist

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can't believe there's a smash direct at drat 9 in the morning in my time zone. I'll try to sneak watching it at work I guess

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Consummate Professional posted:

Oh my god that comes out in 2 weeks. My time dilation is off the charts

I am so ready to lose my life in Pokémon after years of not playing the series. Last game I played was... Platinum? Whatever was the last DS title, I never got a 3DS.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

huh, egg on my face then. woulda sworn they were that one too, not just the oracle games
Much like Majora's Mask (the other best Zelda), Link's Awakening has a very interesting development history and it's worth checking out!

IIRC it started as a bit of a personal project to see if it was possible to port A Link to the Past to the Game Boy.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I was interested by Yomawari, looks good and has good reviews, but it’s 5 bucks on steam and 40 on Switch. In case you’re on the fence you can get it very cheap.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Can't believe there's a smash direct at drat 9 in the morning in my time zone. I'll try to sneak watching it at work I guess

Just take a 40 minute poo poo to watch the direct followed immediately by a 130 minute poo poo to watch the treehouse live

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isn't the Switch Yomawari a collection of both games?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

psylent posted:

I hope so. It was my first Zelda game and a pretty rad experience.

A friend sold me his 3DSXL and I played through A Link Between Worlds and that was pretty fun. I've started on OoT and will probably do Majora's Mask as well.

Are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks worth playing?

Phantom Hourglass kinda blows, Spirit Tracks is pretty good and worthwhile, both come with the caveat that you need to move using the stylus

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Augus posted:

Phantom Hourglass kinda blows, Spirit Tracks is pretty good and worthwhile, both come with the caveat that you need to move using the stylus

Same but swap the games. Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda I didn't finish as I just got bored with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda game I consider genuinely not good rather than too old/not really want I wanted from a Zelda game/lol CDi

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really loved spirit tracks. First Zelda I %100ed since Majora's Mask (though I would go on to %100 the wind waker and twilight princess remakes)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda game I consider genuinely not good rather than too old/not really want I wanted from a Zelda game/lol CDi

:same:

I don't consider TP or SS particularly good either but they are definitely not straight up bad like Spirit Tracks

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and I can remember nothing from either of them :iiam:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spirit Tracks had better dungeons, story, and characters than Phantom Hourglass (with the exception of Linebeck, the Best Character, though technically a version of him was in Spirit Tracks too) but its overworld is so miserable that it's the only Zelda game I've tried and failed to replay. I guess I could suffer through it once to get to stuff I hadn't seen, but a second time was too much to bear.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I mean, you're kind of missing the entire point here in a major way.

Malos ISN'T the main villain of the game at all, even if he's the final boss. Amalthus is without question the main villain and is directly responsible for everything that happens. He's directly responsible for why Malos is a genocidal maniac. He's entirely responsible for Jin's change in character and what happens to Addam & Lora. He's entirely responsible for the war between Uraya and Mor Ardain (and subsequently Gormott but that's essentially over at the start of the game) as well as Tantal being converted into what is effectively a weapons factor. He's entirely the reason why the world is falling apart to begin with. He's got his fingers in a hundred different atrocities, and he's effectively both immortal and entirely immune to blades.

Like, most of the main story is about Rex and company traveling around the world and learning about the state of things, and growing as characters. And all the places you visit and see are tied together by that main thread of everyone being played against each other by Amalthus. Every chapter in the game is a part of that in some major or minor way, even though it's not overtly obvious why when you first get there.

Like as an example, you can look at what seems like an odd plot tangent in Chapter 4 about Bana profiteering on the war via selling artificial blades (including Tora's family, Poppy QT, Lila, etc). But that plot thread is actually very important to the main story because it's Torna's entire battle plan against Amalthus, they're having the artificial blades created because they're immune to Fan la Norn's powers, which is basically what stops Torna from just going and kicking the poo poo out of Amalthus to begin with.

Also regarding Pyra, her reasons for going to Elysium change completely by the time you actually get there, as does like everything else about the situation and reasons for doing what you're doing.

If you haven't played Torna, it makes all of this stuff about 1000% more obvious and in the forefront of everything. Which is again, why they intended for all of that content to happen between Chapters 7&8.

I will say that it was not clear at all to what degree amalthus and malos are separate actors and not just operating as a team. The first time you meet Amalthus you hallucinate him as Malos which seems to strongly imply that malos has some lingering presence in him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tender Bender posted:

I will say that it was not clear at all to what degree amalthus and malos are separate actors and not just operating as a team. The first time you meet Amalthus you hallucinate him as Malos which seems to strongly imply that malos has some lingering presence in him.

They are separate actors to be sure, but the former made the latter the way he has because he's the one who activated him, and all his hatred comes from him.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

oh poo poo the direct is in 20 minutes? nice nice nice

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

SonicMania:Encore is really loving good.

no Amy no buy

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They are separate actors to be sure, but the former made the latter the way he has because he's the one who activated him, and all his hatred comes from him.

That makes sense, but within the games story Malos is still the player's main antagonist from start to end the whole way through. Amalthus does pull a lot of poo poo on the world stage but A) the game is very fuzzy about its worldbuilding and B) the game gives you no reason to think he's not at least on some level working with Malos, and as I recall while most of Torna isn't with Amalthus, Malos himself bails on them and has the same goals as Amalthus.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Smash bros is going to make Nintendo infinite money

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirby is canonically the most powerful character

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spoilers for people who don't feel like keeping up with the Smash thread; Ken and Incineroar are confirmed new characters, and Piranha Plant as DLC at some point. You read me right.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm glad they doubled down on this

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spoilers for people who don't feel like keeping up with the Smash thread; Ken and Incineroar are confirmed new characters, and Piranha Plant as DLC at some point. You read me right.

Also this:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Smash bros is going to make Nintendo infinite money

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Piranha Plant is a free character if you buy the game at/near launch (like by Jan 31st). Then 5 more DLC characters will be made after.

It looks like it's gonna be Kirby vs Anime Thanos.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Have they confirmed if some french guy got fired yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess a mod closed the thread during the direct?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In so confused by the spirits thing. Like I got the gist, but then they just kept going on and on about the stuff you could do and it lost me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

In so confused by the spirits thing. Like I got the gist, but then they just kept going on and on about the stuff you could do and it lost me.

It seriously reminded me of every time I install a new phone game with a gacha system. Here's TWENTY different ways to unlock and power up character things and you can sell them and trade them and combine them and we have three different gem currencies plus gold coins and idle modes and

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

That makes sense, but within the games story Malos is still the player's main antagonist from start to end the whole way through. Amalthus does pull a lot of poo poo on the world stage but A) the game is very fuzzy about its worldbuilding and B) the game gives you no reason to think he's not at least on some level working with Malos, and as I recall while most of Torna isn't with Amalthus, Malos himself bails on them and has the same goals as Amalthus.

B) Yes it absolutely does on a few occasions. Amalthus was the one who gave Mythra to Addam in the first place to try and kill Malos for betraying him. There's a bunch of cutscenes related to this in the core game but they spell it out even more obviously in Torna and show Malos opening mocking Amalthus to his face. It's very intentionally not obvious at first of course but it becomes pretty clear by the end that this is the case.

And no their goals are not the same at all, Amalthus wants to play God and manipulate the whole world, that's his entire thing. He (wrongly) believes he's the architect's chosen and nobody else is fit to see the architect because he's kind of insane with self-importance by that point, also jealous of the fact that he never got to meet the architect himself, and afraid of what will happen if Malos or Mythra got to meet him. Malos just outright wants to destroy the world, Amalthus, and the architect, for obvious reasons. Amalthus is still trying to stop Malos/Jin by the end of the game because he wants to keep all his toys and continue playing his game.

Malos and Jin's motivations differ because Jin mostly just cares about killing Amalthus, which is why they split up in Ch9. Jin stays behind to get a shot at Amalthus, which he's been waiting for for a good 500 years.

Nobody from Torna is with Amalthus because he's directly responsible for most of the awful poo poo that happened to them. Mikhail especially. All of them are well aware that he's the one who has been pulling all the strings for 500+ years because Jin and Mik and Malos know first hand.

I certainly don't blame you for missing any of that stuff because while it's all in there, it's certainly told in a pretty clunky way so it's easy to miss a lot of it. Torna does a really good job clarifying a lot of it at least.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Up til the very end of that direct I was completely meh since the spirits stuff seemed like the only single player content. Then that CG trailer with the lady singing the theme song and a bunch of silly poo poo happened and now I'm getting it day one.
Also, Shantae and the map fish from Windwaker are spirits so that's cool.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

was this ever in doubt

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looper posted:

was this ever in doubt

I sense bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i mean for real though... im not a smash person so i don't care too much but why NOT put sans the skeleton in there