Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

This game goes live in 13 days on console and PC. Anything major engine related that's not in the beta isn't going to be in any time soon.

Of course. I'm just hoping the fix is something they've been baking for longer and isn't a last-minute one.

Bardeh posted:

They're probably too scared to patch it in case everyones client gets nuked again lol

Calling it now, the 'fix' will just be a framerate lock

I think so too. I'm hoping that's not the case, but if there's a better fix it should come later down the pipe.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Saladin Rising posted:

cerealkillr:
Here's another question. Does this game have any form of anti-cheat? Like, any whatsoever? I'm not even talking about locking the game's config files so you can't do this. I mean a proper anti-cheat that prevents script injection, that has server-side validation, that prevents people from using sophisticated cheating programs.

If you can unlock your FPS and get speed hacks by editing two lines in a .INI file I seriously doubt that Bethesda has put the thought and effort required into securing their game.

LilRobot:
it has some silly pseudo anti-cheat that just checks for window names of common debugger and disassembly programs.

cerealkillr:
Oh god. That's some indie game poo poo. That's what Escape from Tarkov does and they have a massive hacking problem.

So if I happen to have memory editing software running in the background not doing anything, the anti-cheat will catch it and ban me? And if I rename the .exe file to something else then it won't? This seems like it would do nothing to hamper actual cheaters while also punishing random dudes who might have memory edit software running for unrelated reasons.

Then again it is just that one dude saying that's how the anti-cheat works, so it might not actually be true

I feel like the only way to salvage this game would be to go F2P with private servers. F2P to get people to actually play and get some sort of positive word-of-mouth going, and private servers to let people keep hackers off of their servers. But what I think will happen is that Bethesda businessmen will just proceed to do what they planned to do, which is to ignore all the problems and start pumping out frivolous DLC and hope the whales make their money back for them. And that might actually work, knowing Bethesda fans.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

This game goes live in 13 days on console and PC. Anything major engine related that's not in the beta isn't going to be in any time soon.

I don't know about that. Almost every single one of the bugs reported in the closed stress test that people in this thread thought had zero chance of being fixed before launch ended up getting fixed before the Xbox beta started. This is shocking to even me but Bethesda seems pretty determined to actually catch and fix bugs this time around. We'll see on November 14th if they follow through.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Bethesda desperately tries to polish Gambreyo for 76 as quick as they can, but they sadly don't get the servers to handle more than 20,000 players at a time like every online game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Spacedad posted:

I think so too. I'm hoping that's not the case, but if there's a better fix it should come later down the pipe.
Keep this in perspective. The problem doesn't seem to present itself except at extremely high framerates. They could set the "cap" at 144 and it is going to be a rather small proportion of players that said cap really affects. Not going to say it wouldn't still be silly - but hard coding a sort of cap like that is saying "we can't guarantee anything beyond this framerate". Capcom did this with Dragon's Dogma, because frankly, strange things happen when you start running the game loop hundreds of times per second. That's exactly what is happening here. They could attempt to fix this specific case, but they would be leaving open all of the other holes that might open up but haven't been found yet.

The question is whether or not the cap is generous enough. 60fps? Nah. 120 pretty good, but not quite. 144-150. I'd suggest 240, but into that territory and you will likely have trouble running a system that could realistically even reproduce some of these errors.

Again, note. The problem isn't that movement or physics are tied to framerate. That may still be the case, but it isn't what is happening here. This is merely a case of bizarre things happening at absurd framerates.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Kiggles posted:

Keep this in perspective. The problem doesn't seem to present itself except at extremely high framerates. They could set the "cap" at 144 and it is going to be a rather small proportion of players that said cap really affects. Not going to say it wouldn't still be silly - but hard coding a sort of cap like that is saying "we can't guarantee anything beyond this framerate". Capcom did this with Dragon's Dogma, because frankly, strange things happen when you start running the game loop hundreds of times per second. That's exactly what is happening here. They could attempt to fix this specific case, but they would be leaving open all of the other holes that might open up but haven't been found yet.

The question is whether or not the cap is generous enough. 60fps? Nah. 120 pretty good, but not quite. 144-150. I'd suggest 240, but into that territory and you will likely have trouble running a system that could realistically even reproduce some of these errors.

Again, note. The problem isn't that movement or physics are tied to framerate. That may still be the case, but it isn't what is happening here. This is merely a case of bizarre things happening at absurd framerates.

But what about the people on the opposite end of the spectrum, that can't get 60 FPS? Aren't they going to always be at a disadvantage and move slower than everyone else?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

But what about the people on the opposite end of the spectrum, that can't get 60 FPS? Aren't they going to always be at a disadvantage and move slower than everyone else?

No, because the movement speed difference doesn't present itself until you are literally running at 100s of frames per second.

This isn't a case where 60fps allows you to move twice as fast as 30

It's rather that after some threshold beyond 150fps you start moving really fast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What does claiming a workshop do? Do your improvements persist between sessions (not talking about CAMPs)? Can someone steal your workshop? What happens if you don't respond to an attack?

(Also, how big are CAMP construction areas? The area marked by the green borders looked tiny.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Scrounger (extra ammo) perk in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju6dm0mzs9c&t=3398s

after a successful search it updates the contents of the container

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Rinkles posted:

I don't mind that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

part of the rush comes from the limited time nature of the beta, but 76 more so than 4 incentivizes grabbing everything that isn't bolted down. a) because if you don't someone else will b) you want to be scrapping as much as you can to get materials and crafting plans c) CAMPs make it easier to scrap junk you usually wouldn't even consider touching.

and the game loves events consisting of waves of enemies rushing you. a lot of low stakes braindead action. there are lulls, and you can engage the world at your own pace, but much of the game's design encourages hectic behavior. it's definitely something i've observed in the coverage.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Does that mean you need to search (buttonpress) every container for a chance to get bonus scrounger? That sounds a little tedious. Or does search only pop up if there's something there? In which case it sounds easy to miss

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fuzzykins posted:

Does that mean you need to search (buttonpress) every container for a chance to get bonus scrounger? That sounds a little tedious. Or does search only pop up if there's something there? In which case it sounds easy to miss

always pops up but only for specific containers (ammo boxes). there are equivalent perks for other item types/containers.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
So basically you have to perform an extra action for every (appplicable) container to potentially get benefit out of it, but also in some cases get nothing?

That's a bit disappointing.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Kiggles posted:

No, because the movement speed difference doesn't present itself until you are literally running at 100s of frames per second.

This isn't a case where 60fps allows you to move twice as fast as 30

It's rather that after some threshold beyond 150fps you start moving really fast.

I can confirm this. I was running at 20 - 30 FPS and was walking and attacking at the same speed as everyone else. Now, just because people running at 60 FPS don't have an advantage over people running at 30 FPS doesn't mean this isn't a major problem. This is a huge vulnerability for exploits.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fuzzykins posted:

So basically you have to perform an extra action for every (appplicable) container to potentially get benefit out of it, but also in some cases get nothing?

That's a bit disappointing.

the best way to turn a 40 hour game into an 80 hour game, make you search every container twice!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestonJew posted:

the best way to turn a 40 hour game into an 80 hour game, make you search every container twice!

Also try not to be in a menu or someone will cap your rear end because PVP.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Spacedad posted:

For perspective; the problem of player movement and action speed being tied to client side performance was an issue in Ultima Online, which itself was a multiplayer conversion of Ultima 8's single player engine.

So close, Spacedad. It was actually a conversion of Ultima *6*. U8 would've been probably too advanced of a base to build from at the time. You can tell it's a high res version of the 6 engine from the way people would pop into sitting position when they passed over a chair.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Procedurally generated content: check

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I misremembered a little bit...
“My wife, Kristen, and I were hired as a pair, and set to work under Andrew Morris, the original lead designer, who was also previously co-lead on Ultima VIII,” Koster said. “Our friend Rick Delashmit had already been working at Origin for many months at that point, developing the original prototype that was built on the Ultima VI engine."
The prototype was built on U6, but the launch version was on a new engine. I only bring it up because Chris Mayer was a lead programmer on Ultima Online, and is now development director for Fallout 76.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'm kind of looking forward to being able to try the beta tonight. Hopefully it won't poo poo itself again.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I'm happy they extended the beta hours, I really want to dive into the C.A.M.P. building tonight. I found a pretty nice spot next to the Morgantown Airport across the street from a building with ammo and medical vendors.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm kind of looking forward to being able to try the beta tonight. Hopefully it won't poo poo itself again.

I'm happy they extended the time, I'll actually get to play for a few hours. The original schedule had the whole testing phase today during work for me. I'm also excited to play again! This time my friends will also hopefully be able to play.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

For some people "good" just means they had fun. It's not a great metric to go by but it's not really that big of a sin either. I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread has tried to claim this game is a technical masterpiece. Now there have been a lot of people claiming its an unplayable mess which is just demonstrably false.

Tei did, although who knows how serious he's actually being at this point.

Also, please consider the concept of "unplayable" being an opinion, and that the very real jank you can see in any FO76 video would be enough for many people to call it unplayable.

Bardeh posted:

They're probably too scared to patch it in case everyones client gets nuked again lol

Calling it now, the 'fix' will just be a framerate lock

I like to poo poo on bethesda as much as anyone, but a framerate lock actually seems like the correct fix for this? You don't even have to lock it at 60, just at like 90 so nobody can reach the over 100 magical plane of Sonic, the vaulthog.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
PC gamers will get very grouchy if the cap is less than 144

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

PC gamers will get very grouchy if the cap is less than 144

please dont pc shame

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I like to poo poo on bethesda as much as anyone, but a framerate lock actually seems like the correct fix for this? You don't even have to lock it at 60, just at like 90 so nobody can reach the over 100 magical plane of Sonic, the vaulthog.

I mean, sure. But plenty of people have 144hz monitors these days, and probably would expect their brand new games to be able to make use of that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

As someone who solely plays on the PC, it's bullshit to expect anything because every game not solely for the PC is hamstrung by lovely consoles. This isnt console warrior horseshit either.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If a game doesnt run at 1000 fps, I do not play it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Tei did, although who knows how serious he's actually being at this point.

No,no.. making grass grown in the desert it the miracle. This engine is a truck filled with rum colliding with a train transporting coca cola. The president of cuba escaping from their country and hiding on a white house closet, asking for residence. Trump receiving Obama certificate and finding Obama is his biological father. A piece of poo poo gaining sentience and asking the rear end that naturally give it birth "please don't abandon me!".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

If a game doesnt run at 1000 fps, I do not play it.

"I played this game for a thousand hours at 1001 FPS but then it dipped to 1000 and became completely unplayable. Uninstalled."

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tei posted:

No,no.. making grass grown in the desert it the miracle. This engine is a truck filled with rum colliding with a train transporting coca cola. The president of cuba escaping from their country and hiding on a white house closet, asking for residence. Trump receiving Obama certificate and finding Obama is his biological father. A piece of poo poo gaining sentience and asking the rear end that naturally give it birth "please don't abandon me!".

are you ok

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Tei posted:

in this moment, we are all pip boy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm waiting for the patch/mod that adds this emote to the wheel

Probably replace the Heart emote

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I hadn't seen this posted, not sure how legit it is but the folks at Reddit datamined the loading screen text. Some interesting bits in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9tafot/datamined_loading_screen_text/

Team Deathmatch is timed. The highest scoring team within the time limit, or the first team to score 50 points, wins

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I have no pip boy, and I must scream

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Prophecy120 posted:

I hadn't seen this posted, not sure how legit it is but the folks at Reddit datamined the loading screen text. Some interesting bits in there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9tafot/datamined_loading_screen_text/

Team Deathmatch is timed. The highest scoring team within the time limit, or the first team to score 50 points, wins

Hahahahahahaha

quote:

Keep prying hands off your stuff! The Locksmith Perk allows you to craft locks for your containers

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Hahahahahahaha

equipping and unequipping utility perks is gonna be a (minor) hassle

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

equipping and unequipping utility perks is gonna be a (minor) hassle

I'm really hoping for some kind of build switch, I can imagine a ton of moments I'd want to switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Oooh team deathmatch! I didn't know Bethesda was gonna get all fancy on us