Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

you also totally omitted hucks starters and I am gravely offended :colbert:

bonus start cart in a cool paint job:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
How about windmill starting a turboprop via another turboprop in front of it blowing air (I forgot if I've read of this as actually happening, or just ha ha what if). But for sure there's its close cousin the Fairey Gannett, with its two independent coaxial engines. They'd start the front one with compressed gas (originally the shotgun shell starter mentioned earlier), and then the front one would windmill the rear one. This I've witnessed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vessbot posted:

How about windmill starting a turboprop via another turboprop in front of it blowing air (I forgot if I've read of this as actually happening, or just ha ha what if).

The buddy start. There's a procedure for it for the E-2. I don't know if anyone has actually done it, though.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Question:

For those cartridge starters, can you also start them with compressed air, if you can get sufficient CFM?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Question:

For those cartridge starters, can you also start them with compressed air, if you can get sufficient CFM?

Yes but it's not a trivial adaptation. This is exactly what's done with the flying Gannett. During the talk at OSH I was at, they talked about that modification as one of the engineering triumphs of the restoration.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

vessbot posted:

Yes but it's not a trivial adaptation. This is exactly what's done with the flying Gannett. During the talk at OSH I was at, they talked about that modification as one of the engineering triumphs of the restoration.

Do modern warbird operators do this kind of adaptation, or are there still folks making the old-style cartridges?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's part of why I asked. it seems like packing a compressor or dump tank would be cheaper for ferry flight starts. there is the demonstration aspect at actual air shows.

IIRC some tractor coffman starters can use blank loaded 12ga shells, which are probably a lot easier to get a hold of, or even make yourself.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

MRC48B posted:

Question:

For the B-52 I don't see why not. Bleed air from another jet engine is the main way their engines are started when they arn't doing some fancy like cart start. The normal start carts are basically just another jet engine on wheels. Enough compressed air at the right pressure and duration should be pretty comparable.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You could start a turbine with a fart, if you could fart hard and long enough.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

... and then probably run the engine with it, too

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What is it that makes that characteristic whine with an inertial starter? Sounds a lot like straight cut gear whine...?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FrozenVent posted:

#Squadgoals

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've always thought a cartridge start motorcycle would be a fun toy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

What is it that makes that characteristic whine with an inertial starter? Sounds a lot like straight cut gear whine...?

some combination of the flywheel, its bearings, and the gear train used to spin it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc

(2:55)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atquoUlQxiY

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Question:

I believe many turbine airplanes that used cartridge starters were also set up to be able to use huffer carts, since they're cheaper, less maintenance, and would be readily available at the home bases the airplanes normally flew out of. In some cases (like the F-100) airplanes were built with a cartridge system, but it was used pretty rarely.

I know that at least the later models of the F-4 can use compressed air, and the current B-52 fleet uses carts as well, but they may retain the cartridge system for use in a scramble situation.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 30, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Don't they use a modern handheld version of tht idea to start F1 cars and/or Indycars?

And yeah, electric inertial starters were a thing when electric motors were getting good but not great. Bonus, I'd assume they had provisions to hand-crank them if the batteries died. Did any cars ever use inertial starters, or were they developed after the electric motor strong enough to start a car? All I know is that a hand crank on a car could bounce back and break your wrist/arm if you weren't careful.

Sagebrush posted:

some combination of the flywheel, its bearings, and the gear train used to spin it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc

(2:55)
Probably at least partially aerodynamic noise from the spinning flywheel, an old-school siren basically makes the same sound, just with provisions to amplify and modulate it.

"Modern" mechanical sirens, like the ones firefighters use to clear an intersection, are driven buy an electric motor, with a pedal to control the voltage. Back in the day, they made air-raid sirens with a Mopar Hemi and a clutch pedal (the man-portable version was hand-cranked and you cranked fast, then slow, then fast, etc..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04SMJlwosZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA2ctPQLWy0

Also I remember a toy from the '90s sold from those machines that you put a quarter in the slot and turn the handle to get a toy in a plastic egg that used exactly the same operating principle, driven by a turbine turned by the user's breath. Haven't seen one in years, did they get banned because they were so annoying?

Edit: This thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pNWVy-yGFg

Also now I want to find a machinist to remake that toy whistle in Inconel with the world's tiniest gas turbine engine as the gas generator. Is it possible to build a turbojet small enough to start it with the power of human lungs?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 30, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Ooh another fun one. The pneumatic start on Yaks. It's not a turbine on the accesory drive like typical air starters, it's air going through the intake manifold distributed into the cylinders like an intake mixture, and pushes the pistons down, on what's normally the intake stroke, to turn the engine over. Not gonna work if you use nitrogen!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Don't they use a modern handheld version of tht idea to start F1 cars and/or Indycars?

And yeah, electric inertial starters were a thing when electric motors were getting good but not great. Bonus, I'd assume they had provisions to hand-crank them if the batteries died. Did any cars ever use inertial starters, or were they developed after the electric motor strong enough to start a car? All I know is that a hand crank on a car could bounce back and break your wrist/arm if you weren't careful.

They do use a similar (although much more compact) starter on open wheel cars, yes.

The first car with an electric starter was a Cadillac in 1912, and it was developed specifically because a hand crank injury from a Cadillac led to the death of one of the executives' friends. The starter itself was developed by Charles Kettering at Delco, and that was about six years after he had invented an electric motor to replace the hand cranks on National Cash Registers. Since both of those are motors replacing a hand crank that would have had similar 'horsepower' — albeit a cash register isn't going to kick back — I don't think there would ever have been a need for an inertial start.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, by the time car engines got powerful enough to where the compression would have been an issue, starter motors were powerful enough to handle them directly.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

still, the most AI engine start:

supposedly the green fireball of triethylborane and JP7 sometimes shot out up to 15 feet

SR-71 Crew Chief Mike Relja posted:

I remember the first time I witnessed an SR-71 with the engines running. It was sucking fuel off the floor in little tornadoes, and all the while the headers on the start carts were dumping flame on the floor. I thought these people were out of their rabbit rear end minds."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Where's the propeller?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's facing the camera perfectly. If you look really close you can see something that looks like the profile of an airfoil.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Where's the propeller?

I'm going with they put it on after the engine is started

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm going with they put it on after the engine is started

It's like when you tighten a drill chuck by holding the chuck still with your hand while actuating the drill...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

supposedly the green fireball of triethylborane and JP7 sometimes shot out up to 15 feet

Goddamn the SR-71 was metal af

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

e.pilot posted:

Goddamn the SR-71 was metal af

I believe you mean alloy as gently caress :eng101:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What happens when the tail rotor gives out in a hover (Leicester fatal crash video).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wealth would be concentrated on fewer hands if it wasn't for the equalizing efforts of private helicopters and GA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Poor ol' AugstaWestland... thought of ants and died.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/QhFdmXH.gifv

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I look forward to this robust technology being autonomously piloted to shuttle people around as Uber envisions. Whatever could go wrong???

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They released video of the Soyuz launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrzlMTRVt_I

Seems like a wild ride

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

LASERS!!!!!!

The National Interest Online: The F-35 and F-22 are Old News: The Tempest Could Be the Future (Armed with Lasers and Hypersonic Missiles).
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/f-35-and-f-22-are-old-news-tempest-could-be-future-armed-lasers-and-hypersonic-missiles

Somewhere Grover is at half mast and doesn't know why...

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

vessbot posted:

Ooh another fun one. The pneumatic start on Yaks. It's not a turbine on the accesory drive like typical air starters, it's air going through the intake manifold distributed into the cylinders like an intake mixture, and pushes the pistons down, on what's normally the intake stroke, to turn the engine over. Not gonna work if you use nitrogen!

this is how all modern low-speed diesel engines are started, and many medium-speed and large high-speed diesels also

e: also seen 4000-series MTU's with compressed-air powered crank starters

sandoz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 1, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, How well or poorly known is this travel loophole?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

5th freedom flights should show up on any flight search engine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's a market that companies like AC are aggressively pursuing. Flying Americans to Europe or Asia via Canada, especially from US markets without a direct flight to that destination. Instead of connecting through LAX or EWR or whatever, connect through YVR or YYZ instead. Even on routes with direct service, it can be competitive for a variety of reasons to 1-stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

It's a market that companies like AC are aggressively pursuing. Flying Americans to Europe or Asia via Canada, especially from US markets without a direct flight to that destination. Instead of connecting through LAX or EWR or whatever, connect through YVR or YYZ instead. Even on routes with direct service, it can be competitive for a variety of reasons to 1-stop it.

Those aren’t fifth freedom flights. YVR-JFK-LHR flown by a Canadian flagged airline would use rights to the 5th freedom of the air in the US.
https://www.icao.int/pages/freedomsair.aspx