Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm getting put mostly into high-level Echo VR matches now, so I'm able to work seriously on regrabs and spacing out for passing plays. I think I'm level 15 now. Leading a teammate on a pass and watching them score is just as satisfying as scoring yourself.

For real, why isn't every goon playing this fun, free game? Anybody who likes Rocket League or team games in general needs to get in on this poo poo. Also, the lobby is the best VR chat environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, VR will skyrocket when a $175 Nvidia card can run it well, and lovely old gen 1 headsets from X generations ago are available for $99.

That time will come.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

I'm getting put mostly into high-level Echo VR matches now, so I'm able to work seriously on regrabs and spacing out for passing plays. I think I'm level 15 now. Leading a teammate on a pass and watching them score is just as satisfying as scoring yourself.

For real, why isn't every goon playing this fun, free game? Anybody who likes Rocket League or team games in general needs to get in on this poo poo. Also, the lobby is the best VR chat environment.

I tried, man. I think everyone tunes me out now

For real

https://i.imgur.com/UnBYvBU.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/W6WbsTr.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3q9lR3V.mp4

It's so good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just didn't like it, is my excuse.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

homeless snail posted:

I just didn't like it, is my excuse.

Same.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Fair enough, but were you playing with pubbies? It's kinda like War Thunder in that it's a completely different game when you play with teammates who communicate, and can give you tips to make you better than 90% of newbies almost immediately.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I tried it a while back and thought it was awesome. I think my play space is just a little too small for it as I kept smashing the walls.

edit - also I rarely have my space fully empty so if I want to play a game like that I have to move a bunch of stuff. Still a kickass game though.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-flagship-vr-headset/

Brendan Iribe wanted to make a cool new Rift 2 and Facebook said no. Now the Rift will be upgraded to the Rift S which seems to just be a wired Oculus Quest.

Personally I'm relieved that Oculus is still staying in the PC space rather than abandoning it. I agree with the Oculus strategy. Iribe clearly has his head in the clouds if he thinks his revamped top end Rift 2 is the way to go in the PCVR space when all this would do would make VR only accessible to people who are willing to shell money out on the top end GPUs on top paying for what is likely to be an expensive headset with complex moving parts.

If hardcore PC gamers were tripping over themselves and buying Oculus headsets then yes Iribe's approach would make more sense. But it's a struggle to get PC gamers on the Oculus train. The best approach would be to continue to target gamers with 970s or better rather than expect everyone to buy a 2080 TI.

The Oculus Rift S seems like a more sensible approach. With StarVR and Pimax rolling out their high end headset offerings soon, there will be options available for the most hardcore PCVR users.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 1, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shine posted:

Fair enough, but were you playing with pubbies? It's kinda like War Thunder in that it's a completely different game when you play with teammates who communicate, and can give you tips to make you better than 90% of newbies almost immediately.
I was but I don't think it would help otherwise. Mostly I just remember it making me incredibly aware of the fact I didn't have legs, its like Paraplegia Simulator. Something about being in zero G just makes me want to kick things in a way other VR games don't. It was really frustrating.

Also a big part of it was just me playing on a Vive and it not controlling very well through Revive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I don't have any insane ninja goals yet, but I'm proud of these bits:

https://youtu.be/0Nly8-av_ZQ

https://youtu.be/giZXPurwR7A

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

I don't have any insane ninja goals yet, but I'm proud of these bits:

Good saves on goal turn games around allll the time and they're one of the hardest things to do, nice job

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I was but I don't think it would help otherwise. Mostly I just remember it making me incredibly aware of the fact I didn't have legs, its like Paraplegia Simulator. Something about being in zero G just makes me want to kick things in a way other VR games don't. It was really frustrating.

Also a big part of it was just me playing on a Vive and it not controlling very well through Revive.

Yeah, the first time I played Lone Echo, it took me a bit before I stopped trying to reflexively squat into a wall and jump away from it. Sometimes I'll still brace myself for impact if I fly over something but my IRL legs would "hit" it. Definitely takes some getting used to your arms and face directing most of your movement.

I haven't played it on Vive, but I can imagine it being awkward to control. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Actually the Echo games control just fine with the Vive.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the Echo games control just fine with the Vive.
Revive eventually made some changes to better support Echo Arena, and its like half the reason they introduced their input scripting system, but when it came out (which is when I played it) it really really did not. Mostly because that game relies heavily on stick clicks and Revive required you to have your thumb very precisely in the middle of the touchpad when you click, where the areas for the face buttons were way bigger and could be clicked on the edge of the pad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

Revive eventually made some changes to better support Echo Arena, and its like half the reason they introduced their input scripting system, but when it came out (which is when I played it) it really really did not. Mostly because that game relies heavily on stick clicks and Revive required you to have your thumb very precisely in the middle of the touchpad when you click, where the areas for the face buttons were way bigger and could be clicked on the edge of the pad.

They moved the thumbstick click-in to the upper quadrant of the touchpad, so you should really give it another try.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Side note: I'm gonna suggest Thrill of the Fight again for anybody who wants a fitness game that's not cardio dancing. Once it calibrates your punches so that you don't instantly deck people (unless you hit them right on a weak spot with a very good punch!) and you play higher difficulties, you'll work up a crazy sweat doing a competitive fight that goes a bunch of rounds.

It's much harder than a murder fest like Gorn, but it's a loving rush when you win, whether by throwing combinations that drop their defense and set up that big right hand to the chin (or left to the liver), or by gutting out a hard decision, especially if you were a dipshit and gassed yourself out, forcing a change in plans as you sit in your corner between rounds ("stop flailing like an idiot and keep your goddamn hands up").

I've basically never boxed IRL and I don't expect to learn by playing gamified shadow boxing, but I appreciate that poo poo I read about super basic boxing form and strategy translates to this game. It's definitely not a Punch Out clone.

It's 10 bucks. Try the beta branch if you buy it. It works best with a decent roomscale space, as your foes don't leave your boundary, and it's harder to fight if you can't move around somewhat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They moved the thumbstick click-in to the upper quadrant of the touchpad, so you should really give it another try.
Eh even if it did control well I don't think I'd be into it. Maybe I'll try Combat when it comes out even though I'm not big on VR murder sims, but tbh Star Shelter is my zero g game of choice.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I don't think the Rift 1.5 is the end of the PCVR world but personally I think it's a waste of their time and resources. Let those uber hardcore folks who want an upgrade already go get a Pimax or whatever, in the meantime spend your resources on making the eventual Rift 2 blow everyone's face off (and spend the resources on making that happen ASAP).

Then again, I'm guessing the only reason they'd do Rift 1.5 is because they think it'll pay for itself in sales, which makes sense to me if it's really just a tethered Quest. I can't see them blowing a ton more money on PCVR hardware at this moment, given how much they're in for already, and the limited success they've experienced (which is partly their fault; they committed a bunch of serious PR errors in the way they approached the PCVR enthusiast market).

On the other hand, if they managed include lenses which upped the FOV to 140 degrees like Half Dome, I would probably be all in on a Rift 1.5 (though I am very sceptical about the limitations of the current inside-out controller tracking). But I don't know that that's very likely, given the above-mentioned financial constraints in the PCVR market.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lemming posted:

You're thinking of this backwards. VR adoption, on an absolute scale, is really low. Relative VR adoption, considering how expensive the headsets are, how obnoxious they are to setup, and how little there is to do on them, is absurdly high. That's a testament to how compelling the experience is.

At launch, the Quest doesn't solve the third thing, but it solves the first two. On the whole, I think there is a enough good software to get things going. Beat Saber alone is absolutely a killer app, and there will be enough to get people's interest to try other things as well.

You're kinda failing to take into account a major contender, which is currently the largest home VR market and is going nowhere: PSVR.

Sony has already said that VR will continue to be in their plans and will probably be a cornerstone of the PS5 rollout. Yes, it's not the best VR system by a long shot, but it's also an extremely cheap option (especially if you already have a PS4, which is a huge install base) and it's an EXTREMELY compelling proof of concept as it has a lot of killer app type VR games (Firewall, Wipeout, Farpoint, RE7, Skyrim, etc) with several more on the horizon and a huge investment on Sony's part to get indie devs going.

Case in point: Skyrim VR would not have happened if Sony hadn't thrown money at Bethesda. Bethsoft was toying with the idea of it after seeing some Rift hacks, then Sony came along and threw a huge pile of money at them to make it happen. Fallout 4 is a direct result of that. Same goes for Capcom and RE7.

I think 10 years from now, a competent VR rig of some type will be standard equipment for gamers, though I would not be surprised if the push is toward wireless headsets that use your phone as the processor to help keep costs down. I honestly don't think it will ever get a huge non-gamer presence unless they get Hollywood behind it to make VR dedicated films/experiences or someone like Netflix or Amazon comes along and starts offering VR content via their services.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Shine posted:

Side note: I'm gonna suggest Thrill of the Fight again for anybody who wants a fitness game that's not cardio dancing. Once it calibrates your punches so that you don't instantly deck people (unless you hit them right on a weak spot with a very good punch!) and you play higher difficulties, you'll work up a crazy sweat doing a competitive fight that goes a bunch of rounds.

I was looking at that and Creed and was deciding which one to get. Anyone here with Creed that can compare?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Reallycoolname posted:

I was looking at that and Creed and was deciding which one to get. Anyone here with Creed that can compare?

Thrill is a boxing sim. Creed is a good boxing arcade game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Reallycoolname posted:

Creed has training montages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a different topic, my VRCovers finally arrived in the mail and goddamn what an improvement. Much easier to de-sweat after general use and keep clean. Pretty sure the regular face cushion would've gestated life come Summer here.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Orange Sunshine posted:

But will the Oculus Quest be able to run Fallout 4 or Skyrim VR?

No, no chance it will every run Fallout 4. I can't keep frame rate on my heavily overcloked 6700k / GTX 1080. This is something like 10-25 times more powerful. I think it's possible someday if Bethesda worked really hard to get Skyrim running on the Quest but doubt they will.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Oculus Store is a LOT more anal about what gets into it. Also you're really comparing apples to oranges, because the reason the Switch's library exploded was because the hardware was compatible with literally every low-spec indie title ever. The Oculus Quest is going against a library of existing titles that are engineered for the highest specs possible.

Oculus has said they are going to be MUCH more restrictive about what content gets on the Quest compared to the Gear/Rift.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Stick100 posted:

Oculus has said they are going to be MUCH more restrictive about what content gets on the Quest compared to the Gear/Rift.

Good. Nothing wrong with that.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 1, 2018

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Zero VGS posted:

For anyone else wondering where the gently caress those Samsung+ headsets were, Microsoft Store just got them in today...so a week after the "immediate availability" press release.

I just snagged one to try and will report in when I get home.

Edit:

The new screen door effect filter does what is says on the tin, it reduces SDE a ton without any noticeable degradation of image quality. The nose area on the headset is much more roomy, and the headset foam has a better give. Downsides are that the nose thing lets in more light now, and the optical sweet spot still blows.

I took a through-lens video with my phone:

Note that the black vertical lines in that image are not visible with the naked eye... I guess it's some kind of polarization effect. Not sure what on earth that is, maybe it has to do with the SDE filter.

The text when it is at 14 seconds exactly, is representative of about how blurry all the text/image looks in the outer 30% of the lens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zt1m8x4m83y7t4i/VID_20181030_221513.mp4?dl=1

Thanks for this, I was considering getting them as I don't have the space in my computer for a USB card, and don't feel like running cables all over for the camera. Is the sweet spot better on something like the RIFT and VIVE?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there a tweak that you need to do or is that default? I liked the game, but the touchpad made things awkward af.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a different topic, my VRCovers finally arrived in the mail and goddamn what an improvement. Much easier to de-sweat after general use and keep clean. Pretty sure the regular face cushion would've gestated life come Summer here.

Is that the Rift or Vive set? I've been debating the Rift set.

https://www.amazon.com/VRCover-ocv01nf-Oculus-Rift-Cover/dp/B06Y6DC1R2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541087496&sr=8-8&keywords=VR+covers

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Facial-Interface-Replacement-Comfort/dp/B0798L3671/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1541087496&sr=8-9&keywords=VR+covers

Neither seems to have good reviews...

Edit: Or this
https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Facial-Interface-Replacement-Hygiene/dp/B01MQZVF6K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541087740&sr=8-3&keywords=VR+covers

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 1, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

iceaim posted:

Good. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not arguing if that's a good or bad thing. It appears that Facebook/Oculus is considering the Quest their first "game console" and are therefore taking a very heavy hand with curation.

I keep bringing this up because I keep hearing from developers without released titles that want to develop for Quest. DON'T DO THAT, you won't be able to release. This is the reason I think we will see very few titles on the Quest that are not developed by Oculus directly.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Danith posted:

Thanks for this, I was considering getting them as I don't have the space in my computer for a USB card, and don't feel like running cables all over for the camera. Is the sweet spot better on something like the RIFT and VIVE?

You do need a usb3 port for wmr headsets

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I have the Vive 14mm Leather version, and it is just fantastic. Wipes away dry with a quick go-over with a tissue and it's very comfortable to wear for long sessions.

I think the Oculus-equivalent set you want is the Facial Interface & Foam Replacement Hygiene Set for the vegan leather cushions, though someone who has a Rift and VRCovers might be able to direct you better.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is the face cover for the rift better about blocking light? For some reason my nose/face is shaped so that I get a gap around the base of my nose/inside cheek. It’s handy for reading text messages without taking off the headset I guess, but it’s kind of annoying.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have the Vive 14mm Leather version, and it is just fantastic. Wipes away dry with a quick go-over with a tissue and it's very comfortable to wear for long sessions.

I think the Oculus-equivalent set you want is the Facial Interface & Foam Replacement Hygiene Set for the vegan leather cushions, though someone who has a Rift and VRCovers might be able to direct you better.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the 6mm for the Vive? Trying decide between the 6mm and 14mm ones.

For some reason Amazon only has the 6mm available.

Edit: Buying directly from VR Cover's site is only slightly more expensive than Amazon.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 1, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JayKay posted:

Out of curiosity, have you tried the 6mm for the Vive? Trying decide between the 6mm and 14mm ones.

For some reason Amazon only has the 6mm available.

Someone itt recommended the 14mm over the 6mm for being much better about dealing with sweat. It's pretty much the same density as the stock cushion too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I actually have the thinnest VRcover available for Vive, and even when I utterly exhaust myself in Beat Saber it manages to keep the sweat out and cleans up good with a lazy cloth swipe

which as anyone who plays beat saber knows, is about all you're capable of after spending time in there -_-

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've tried both, and prefer the 14mm. It's softer and more comfortable for longer sessions, the 6mm brings you in closer to the lenses for potentially better fov but provides next to no cushioning. Also I wear glasses so the thin one feels real dangerous, to me.

For reference the 14mm is about the same thickness as the standard Vive facial interface.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Danith posted:

The Rift is what I hold everything else up to for sweet spot. Even the very edges of the Rift are clear, with no blur and hardly any chromatic aberration. The Vive is still fairly dialed in as far as I remember; I believe it's better than any WMR headsets.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Not sure who was recommending Jet Island a few pages back but I'm enjoying it. Lots of ugly generic textures and supposedly only about 5 hours of content, but the boss design and sense of scale are fantastic. The grappling hook/jet hands/surfboard combo for movement is really fun once you get the hang of it, flying around the giant map and launching off ramps is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

homeless snail posted:

I've tried both, and prefer the 14mm. It's softer and more comfortable for longer sessions, the 6mm brings you in closer to the lenses for potentially better fov but provides next to no cushioning. Also I wear glasses so the thin one feels real dangerous, to me.

For reference the 14mm is about the same thickness as the standard Vive facial interface.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone itt recommended the 14mm over the 6mm for being much better about dealing with sweat. It's pretty much the same density as the stock cushion too.

Awesome, thanks. I'll probably order the 14mm, DAS strap, and a set for my Explorer directly from their site.