Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.thestar.com/news/cannab...n-official.html

just lol

quote:

WASHINGTON—Canadians will be barred from entering the United States for smoking marijuana legally, for working in Canada’s legal marijuana industry and for investing in legal Canadian marijuana companies, a senior U.S. Customs and Border Protection official says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

seems like the kinda they they have to say, but will probably never ask

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So looks like New Jersey's legalization bill is finally ready for consideration in the legislature:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/09/19/new-jersey-legalize-marijuana/

quote:

LINDEN, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) – After campaign promises, wild speculation and political debate, a plan forward for legal weed in the Garden State now has a formal draft.

A big stack of papers on the desk of State Senator Nicholas Scutari is the final draft of his bill to legalize recreational marijuana in New Jersey, reports CBS2’s Meg Baker.

If passed in its latest form, the bill would legalize the possession and personal use of small amounts of marijuana for people at least 21 years old on their own property – not in public except for designated areas.

“One of the things people will be in interested in, not smoke shops but consumption lounges areas to consume legally, not in public but in a private industry setting,” said Scutari.

Do any legal states currently allow consumption in bar-like setting? That's also part of the legalization bill passed in the Northern Marianas. It will be nice if going forward more legalization initiatives make provisions for consumption in more social settings.

I don't think the Northern Marianas' governor has officially ratified their legalization bill yet, all the articles on it are from last month when the regional Senate passed it onto his desk. Everyone seems pretty confident it's going forward one way or the other though, so pretty soon Saipan will probably become Asia's top pot tourism hotspot.

oh whoa :eyepop: just saw this article now looking for info on New Jersey's bill, but recreational cannabis is now going to be completely legal in South Africa apparently? :2bong:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/19/health/south-africa-cannabis-private-use-intl/index.html

quote:

(CNN)South Africa's Constitutional Court approved the private use and cultivation of cannabis Tuesday, which could be a step toward broader legalization.

In a unanimous ruling hailed by activists campaigning for the legalization of marijuana, judges declared unconstitutional three sections of the Constitution that prohibited cannabis consumption, possession and cultivation.
The ruling says Parliament should change the law within 24 months.

It's de facto legal already in a lot of Africa, but with changing norms in the US and Canada I expect to see formal legal changes in more of Africa in the near future. With recreational use legal in Canada and South Africa, I wonder if we should expect cannabis reform to come soon in the other big British commonwealth states like Australia and New Zealand?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Squalid posted:

Do any legal states currently allow consumption in bar-like setting?

It may not be strictly legal but people smoke out on the patio at the sports bar where I work all the time and nobody cares. We even have advertisements for the weed shop just up the road from us.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
It begins...

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Haven't heard a peep from Canadians since you legalized.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

platzapS posted:

They are sleeping.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Squalid posted:

CA's governor just signed a bill banning sales of CBD infused drinks at bars and other establishments, so i imagine the way to go is businesses will need a license to dispense CBD if they want to sell WEED COFFEE or WEED VODKA TONICS.
I imagine things are too precarious at the moment for someone to spend the capital to attach a Smoke Lounge next to a dispensary that doesnt look like a YouTube streamer's hooka bar living room.

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity

FilthyImp posted:

CA's governor just signed a bill banning sales of CBD infused drinks at bars and other establishments, so i imagine the way to go is businesses will need a license to dispense CBD if they want to sell WEED COFFEE or WEED VODKA TONICS.
I imagine things are too precarious at the moment for someone to spend the capital to attach a Smoke Lounge next to a dispensary that doesnt look like a YouTube streamer's hooka bar living room.

Haha wtf. CA meaning Cali?

Oh yes, CBD, the extremely intoxicating portion of weed, not like that THC which doesn’t do anything.

While I sorta feel like CBD is becoming the new coconut oil (ie snakeoil cureall), I’m not sure where I’d stand on this. While it’s probably not the best to have CBD be an unregulated market while pot is still federally illegal, thanks to CBD products occasionally containing THC, treating it as the same kind of intoxicant as THC is just as bad in the other direction.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

platzapS posted:

The next federal election is in one year and the Conservative leader just came out and said that he wouldn't rule out make pot illegal again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

The next federal election is in one year and the Conservative leader just came out and said that he wouldn't rule out make pot illegal again.

"I don't really want to win next year."

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

UK law (well I don't kniw if Northern Ireland is included) has been changed to expand medicinal Cannabis availability.

Here's the most thorough news on whats been changed https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/medical-cannabis-legalised-uk-cbd-laws-a3976836.html

An acquantice of mine has been saying the Prosecution Service has also admitted to a loophole where people who qualify for medicinal can grow up to 9 plants but I've not seen any confirmation on that one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Things are getting better and tomorrow could be a big day.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It'll be huge if Pete Sessions loses his seat.

Who is that jackass, you ask? This chickenfucker.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Squalid posted:

In California while I was there several dispensaries would let you vape on site but you couldn’t combust. So for instance my dispensary I’d go to would let you check out volcano bags and had a table with stools and volcano bases set up. People would vape before taking the train home. They’d have random stoner fare on a tv, art on the walls etc. As close to a cannabis bar setting that I’ve seen. Haven’t run into anything like that in Oregon it’s pretty business like, in and out.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The biggest question mark will probably be North Dakota’s recreational ballot question. Keven Sabet and SAM put a lot of money into defeating the measure, and there was little funding for yes. I think SAM alone spent about 10 times as much as the biggest pro legalization organization. Tactically this makes more sense than investing in say Michigan as even though ND has a small population and is less important, that also means each dollar has more power to change the result.

The next big battle will be at the national level, and ND has just as many votes in the Senate as California. Building local industries in these small conservative states is going to be important in getting a national consensus for complete legalization.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fingers crossed that I Michigan passes it. I just learned my parents smoke since my mom got prescription. It would be fun to blaze with them and listen to music.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ MI passed!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It'll be huge if Pete Sessions loses his seat.

Who is that jackass, you ask? This chickenfucker.

Update:

He lost his bid for re-election. Expect the next Congress to be interesting wrt legalization

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

North Dakota lost ;__;

Maybe as consolation New Jersey will finally get its act together and legalize before the end of 2018

Also this happened like last week but marijuana was decriminalized in Mexico by the Supreme Court. The new President's administration has also made encouraging, if vague, noises about full legalization.

https://mjbizdaily.com/court-rulings-incoming-ministers-mexico-legalize-cannabis/

quote:

A recent Supreme Court ruling and newly elected government suggest Mexico could soon follow Canada down the road of cannabis legalization.

Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled Oct. 31 – for the fifth time since November 2015 – that a total prohibition of recreational marijuana consumption is unconstitutional.

By reaching five similar rulings, the Supreme Court crossed the threshold that establishes jurisprudence.

The ruling doesn’t allow commercialization, but it does permit personal possession and home growing.

Immediate consequences of the ruling include:

The Federal Committee for Protection from Sanitary Risks (COFEPRIS ) will have to authorize applications of people looking to grow marijuana for personal use.
Mexican courts are required to follow this precedent in similar cases.
Parliament must act to amend the necessary laws to reflect the court’s ruling.

quote:

Marcelo Ebrard, who will become foreign minister when Mexico’s new government takes office Dec. 1, told reporters the nation could “absolutely” follow Canada’s example and legalize marijuana.

“We think it is a very interesting option in the short term for Mexico,” he told reporters, according to the Agence France-Presse.

“We think there are two options: the Canadian model or the Uruguay model.”

Ebrard was among seven members of President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s incoming cabinet – including former Supreme Court Judge Olga Sanchez Cordero – who were in Ottawa last week to meet their Canadian counterparts.

Cordero, who will be the first woman to head up Mexico’s Office for Domestic Affairs, said in June she would ask the new president to legalize cannabis from seed to sale, even for recreational purposes.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
So Missouri and Utah are medical and Michigan just legalized it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Utah got medical even in spite of the LDS church coming out against the prop.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So besides those states which ratified ballot initiates, there's now a number of newly elected governors and other state leaders who campaigned on legalizing recreational. It's highly likely we will see legislation in at least a few of these over the next two years.

The newly elected governors in Illinois, New Mexico, and Minnesota all came out in support of recreational. The new Governor of Wisconsin has also supports decriminalization, and has suggested putting a non-binding question before voters and that he would abide by the decision.

Incumbent governor Andrew Cuomo in New York has previously opposed recreational, however during this past election he mellowed his tone and if the New York legislature puts a bill on his desk, my impression is he will sign it.

DC may also finally be able to open recreational stores. This is because Maryland representative Andy Harris was defeated. For those who don't know, Congress has large powers to interfere in DC governance, and Andy Harris had systematically blocked efforts to set up a legal market. As a result most pot is sold through weird and semi-legal grey-markets, so this is a big plus for Washington.

Additionally New Jersey is still slowly moving towards legalization. The state missed the self-imposed Halloween deadline, and leadership is now pushing for something by December.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This is Pete Sessions' successor Jim McGovern

quote:

"Unlike my predecessor, I’m not going to block amendments for marijuana,” the Democrat said. “Citizens are passing ballot initiatives, legislatures are passing laws, and we need to respect that. Federal laws and statutes are way behind.”

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2018/11/21/nj-legal-weed-lawmakers-unveil-new-legalization-bills-monday-vote/2077813002/

quote:

After months of delays and strained negotiations, New Jersey lawmakers on Wednesday unveiled the bills they hope will legalize marijuana for recreational use, expand the state's medical marijuana program and overhaul the rules for expunging drug-related and other violations.

Votes in legislative committees are scheduled for Monday, with votes by the full Senate and Assembly possible in December. If the bills are approved and then signed by Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat who supports legalization, New Jersey would become the 11th state to allow adults to possess and use small amounts of marijuana, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Looks like New Jersey is finally going to get a bill up for vote.

Connecticut is also looking plausible. I think it's likely the whole Northeast (not including PA) gets recreational within the next two years.

https://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/archives/entry/20181119_will_connecticut_be_next/

quote:

HARTFORD, CT — Gov.-elect Ned Lamont told Connecticut Public Radio listeners earlier this month that “legalizing marijuana is an idea whose time has come,” and with Massachusetts ready to start sales Tuesday advocates hope Connecticut is next.
. . .
It’s not a far-fetched idea any longer. Connecticut came close last year.

In 2018, six bills related to legalizing and regulating cannabis in Connecticut were introduced and four hearings were held on the issue. A bill that would begin planning for the legalization of recreational marijuana in Connecticut was sent to the House after narrowly passing the Appropriations Committee by a 27-24 vote.

A proponent of legalization, Rep. Josh Elliott, D-Hamden, said the House Democratic caucus was 17 votes shy of passage earlier this year.

But that was before the recent election when Democrats held an 80-71 majority over Republicans. Following the last election, they currently hold a 92-59 majority over Republicans in the House.

Elliott believes they will be able to get it over the finish line this year. He thinks it will happen if the Progressive Caucus gets behind it.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Squalid posted:

Connecticut is also looking plausible. I think it's likely the whole Northeast (not including PA) gets recreational within the next two years.

NY certainly is if NORML is to be believed.

https://norml.org/news/2018/11/21/new-york-cuomo-administration-to-back-adult-use-marijuana-bill

quote:

A spokesperson for Gov. Andrew Cuomo says that creating a framework for legalizing adult marijuana use is among the administration's 2019 legislative priorities.

"The goal of this administration is to create a model program for regulated adult-use marijuana – and we determined the best way to do that was to ensure our final proposal captures the views of everyday New Yorkers," said Tyrone Stevens, a spokesperson for the Governor. "Now that the listening sessions have concluded, the working group has begun accessing and reviewing the feedback we received and we expect to introduce a formal comprehensive proposal during the 2019 legislative session."

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

The ACT in Australia is going to pass a bill legalising cannabis next year. It'll be the first territory/state in Australia that will have legal weed.

Here's a link

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ammonsa posted:

The ACT in Australia is going to pass a bill legalising cannabis next year. It'll be the first territory/state in Australia that will have legal weed.

Here's a link

After South Africa legalized possession last year, I've been wondering if the movement would make increasing headway in the other commonwealth states. Do you see this kind of legislation expanding in Australia/New Zealand in the near future? What about recreational sales?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Upon signing into law, the farm bill will legalize hemp in the US at the federal level. CBD, THC still illegal.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Upon signing into law, the farm bill will legalize hemp in the US at the federal level. CBD, THC still illegal.

You can, however, get CBD from hemp.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

This says the new farm bill de-schedules CBD

https://qz.com/1496896/cbd-from-industrial-hemp-will-be-legal-in-us-under-2018-farm-bill/ posted:

Now, the 2018 Farm Bill is poised to open up hemp for farmers—making it eligible for crop insurance and allowing transfer across state lines—and CBD for consumers. It will explicitly remove industrial hemp and its extracts from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, where it might be interpreted as marijuana, which the US Drug Enforcement Administration states has “no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse” (despite evidence to the contrary).

Im worried he might have figured out "legalize weed -> immortalize self"

..or, ok, or maybe not

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Squalid posted:

After South Africa legalized possession last year, I've been wondering if the movement would make increasing headway in the other commonwealth states. Do you see this kind of legislation expanding in Australia/New Zealand in the near future? What about recreational sales?

The ACT is extremely socially liberal compared to the rest of Australia. They tried to pass gay marriage before it was passed federally and got slapped down by the courts. This will be challenged by the Morrison government too. The ACT isnt a state so its easier for the federal government to challenge its laws. Think a situation like DC. I think it will probably survive challenge but its important to remember its a tiny little territory, its very socially liberal and it doesnt have the powers a state would have.

So that is stopping recreational sales. The chief minister outright said that if it was possible to allow recreational sales they would.

The rest of Australia well its a while off i would say. The ACT is completely surrounded by NSW a state run by moralising lunatics who havent seen an issue they wont try and make a moral panic out of. Its going to be very interesting how nsw responds to this. The nsw government is going to carry on like nutters over weed being grown in the ACT for sale into NSW.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just learned that Massachusetts legalized two years ago, but I moved to the no-fun part of Mass where every town's banned dispensaries :smith:

And how does Lowell not have one? The hell?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just learned that Massachusetts legalized two years ago, but I moved to the no-fun part of Mass where every town's banned dispensaries :smith:

Only three towns/companies got their paperwork together for the first approvals of stores, because the state really dragged its rear end on getting the final requirements cemented. Lowell's got several dispensaries but they're all currently medical and the main shops that wanted to open recreational there aren't likely to get their approval until the spring.

The current Cannabis Control Commission rules, to make things the most fair for getting approvals in, is that each time a new shop opens for the first few months, it's going to be in a different part of the state than the last few that opened - the two that opened on the first day were in Leicester and Northampton, and now there's one open in Salem. The next one to win approval is likely to be down between Plymouth and Fall River, I heard, and then there's expected to be an approval out by the New York border.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

SardonicTyrant posted:

If you're talking about medical dispensaries they're all over the place.

Recreational has been a tremendously slow rollout but they actually exist now with ones open in Leicester, Northampton, Salem and Wareham and Easthampton though those two might be a few days from opening. They're picking up speed in terms of issuing licences though so a bunch more should be opening throughout 2019

fishmech posted:

there's expected to be an approval out by the New York border.

Yep Great Barrington

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Be patient my Massachusetts friends, I felt much the same in Washington at first, but now the genie's out of the bottle and it's probably easier to find a dispensary than a Starbucks in my town. You'll get there soon enough! :unsmith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrNutt posted:

Be patient my Massachusetts friends, I felt much the same in Washington at first, but now the genie's out of the bottle and it's probably easier to find a dispensary than a Starbucks in my town. You'll get there soon enough! :unsmith:
Same in L.A. it was legalized starting 2017 but there was a slow walk for recreational while they figured out some rules.

Then, seemingly overnight it was "MEDICAL AND RECREATIONAL FOR 21+" all over.

There's still a small number of actually licensed and sanctioned dispensaries, and the LA Attourney's Office has stated they see no real medical necessity for Cannabis, but there's no going back now. Best they can do is design regulations (no smoking lounges without purpose designed HVAC) and zoning limits to keep them away from like schools and poo poo.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
It could be worse. You could live in Maine where we legalized recreational in 2016. We still don't have recreational stores due to our ogre of a governor.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

TesseractMinotaur posted:

It could be worse. You could live in Maine where we legalized recreational in 2016. We still don't have recreational stores due to our ogre of a governor.

Maine has a fairly good grey market now though, with a variety of nice delivery services. There are places in Portland with better selection than the Mass rec dispensaries even.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

TesseractMinotaur posted:

Our doughboy of a governor in New Hampshire is pretty dead set on opposing recreational in any form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
live mostly free or die